Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management or PGDHRM is a Postgraduate course of 1-year. In simple words, HRM is a process of making the efficient & effective use of human resources, so that the goals are achieved.
Check out: Top PGDHRM Colleges in India.
This course includes subjects like Strategic Management, Managerial Economics, Employee Legislation, Performance Management, Human Resource Development, etc.
The basic eligibility for this course is completing graduation in any discipline with 50% marks for general category and 45% for SC/ST/OBC category. Though minimum marks required vary from college to college. The admissions are usually based on the entrance exam.
There are many management institutes that offer this course The average fee charged for the PGDHRM course ranges from around INR 8 - 25 lakh.
This course can also be pursued through distance learning mode. Some of the institutes that offer this course in distance mode are IGNOU, AMITY School of Distance Learning, Kota Open University, etc. The average annual fees for studying PGDHRM through distance learning are INR 10K to 25 lakh.
Nearly all the top management colleges in India offer this course. Some of the top colleges according to NIRF College Ranking Survey 2020 are mentioned below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur||Entrance Exam and Interview||INR 4.1 lakh||INR 16-17 lakh|
|11||International Management Institute||New Delhi||Entrance Exam and Interview||INR 16.49 lakh||INR 12 lakh|
|17||Apeejay School of Management||New Delhi||Entrance Exam and Interview||INR 7.50 lakh||INR 4-5 lakh|
|20||Indian Institute of Management||Ranchi||Entrance Exam and Interview||INR 9.75 lakh||INR 5 lakh|
|-||Amity Global Business School||Noida||Merit-based||INR 6.32 lakh||INR 5-6 lakh|
After completing this course, the candidates can find jobs as Human Resource Executive, HR Managers, Compensation manager, Change Consultant, HR Specialist, etc. The average starting salary offered after the PGDHRM course is INR 2 to 15 lakh.
PGDHRM course opens so many career options for graduates. They can start their own consultancy. PGDHRM has proven that it provides complete value for money. HR is the most valuable & important resource in any business.
After completion of the PGDHRM course, candidates can go for higher studies like Ph.D or M.Phil in the discipline. They can also go for some other specialization like International Human Resource Management, Strategic Human Resource Management, International Business Management, Entrepreneurship Management, etc. These courses are available both in India and in foreign countries as well.
PGDHRM Admission Process
The admission to PGDHRM courses is usually based on the common entrance test conducted at a national or state level. The students are evaluated based on the marks obtained in these entrance exams.
Most of the institutes follow these procedures to admit students into the PGDHRM courses:
- Step 1- Sit for the national level entrance exams like CAT, XAT, GMAT, etc.
- Step 2- Once the results are out, the institutes will release their cut-off marks. Candidates can apply to the institutes whose cut-off they were able to clear.
- Step 3- The Institutes will evaluate the candidates based on their marks scored in the common entrance exams and also the previous academic history.
- Step 4- Merit-list of shortlisted candidates will be released by the institutes.
- Step 5- The shortlisted candidates will be invited for further admission procedures i.e, university level entrance test followed by GD/PI.
- The candidate must hold a recognized bachelor's degree of at least 3 years duration.
- The colleges do not admit candidates who have completed their bachelor’s education through Distance Education.
- Graduation with at least 50% marks in aggregate (45% for SC ST candidates).
- Have at least one year’s work experience in Human Resources or a related area.
- Final year appearing students may also apply on a Provisional basis.
PGDHRM Entrance Exams
Some of the entrance exams that are considered by the institutes for admission into PGDHRM Course are:
CAT – Common Admission Test is a computer-based test for admission in a graduate management program. It is a 3-year course conducted every year by one of the IIMs based on a policy of rotation.
Read more: CAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- XAT - Xavier Aptitude Test is a national level entrance exam conducted by the Xavier Labor Relations Institute. It is a computer-based test (online) of 3 and a half hours.
- MAH-CET – The Maharashtra common entrance test is a computer-based test of 2 and a half hours. This exam is conducted for admission into various management courses offered by the institutes in Maharashtra.
Read more: Selection Procedures for XLRI
CMAT - Common Management Admission Test is an online computer-based test conducted by the National Testing Agency. The total duration of this exam is 3 hours.
Check out the CMAT cut-off
NMAT by GMAC – NMAT by GMAC is a computer-based exam (online). This exam does not have negative marking. Its pattern is of moderate difficulty level. And the total time duration allotted in this exam 2 hours to attempt the complete test.
|Exam||Exam Date||Application Date||Exam mode|
|CAT 2020||November 29, 2020||From August 8, 2020||Computer-based but not online|
|XAT 2021||1st week of January 2021||August 23 – December 7, 2020 (tentatively)||Online|
|MAH-CET 2021||March 14 - 15, 2021 (tentatively)||January 10 – February 22, 2021||Online|
|CMAT 2021||1st week of January 2021||1st week of November - 2nd week of December 2o21||Online|
|NMAT by GMAC||August 1, 2020 - October 18, 2020||August 1, 2020 - October 5, 2020 (tentatively)||Online|
How to prepare for the entrance exam?
- Practice as much as possible. In sections like quants and logical reasoning, a lot of practice will be required.
- Try to focus more on practical subjects like Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, and Data Interpretation and try to learn and solve the questions by shortcut tricks.
- Improve General Knowledge by reading newspapers daily, and watching current affairs.
- In the Verbal Ability, initially, try to study expected questions, previous year test papers, model papers then step by step guide in re-learning basic grammar & composition concepts. And then solve books that contain 10,000 solved MCQs.
How to get admission in good PGDHRM colleges?
The admission to the best colleges for PGDHRM courses is a difficult task for many students. However, you can avoid difficulties in following the process of getting admission in top B- schools.
- The candidates should have the ability to study a topic in-depth and thus they need to possess the required skill-set and dedication.
- Performing well in a bachelor’s degree final exam as well as in the entrance exam is important.
- Prepare with the latest current topics for the group discussions.
- Prepare for on-campus interviews in the best way as you can.
PGDHRM: What is it about?
- The Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM) is the 2 years full-time program including 4 semesters of study and projects.
- It is the highest quality program in the area of Human Resources Management. It is proactively designed to provide eligibility, suitability, and competent HR professionals with sufficient knowledge of business to all industrial sectors.
- PGDHRM program offers a platter of HR elective courses and other functional area courses.
- PGDHRM courses can catapult your career in the appropriate direction in the human resources management field.
- The course is designed by the team of experienced human resource and educational experts, which takes into consideration up to the minute developments and trends in the field.
PGDHRM: Course Highlight
PGDHRM is one of the most opted courses in the management field. The basic information about the course has been mentioned in the table below:
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management|
|Examination type||Semester system|
|Eligibility||You need to complete graduation in a bachelor’s degree in a legitimate discipline.|
|Admission process||You have to clear a competitive entrance exam. Some colleges also grant admission based on Merit.|
|Top Entrance examinations||CAT, XAT, CMAT, MAH-CET, NMAT by GMAC|
|Average tuition fee||INR 8 - 25 lakh|
|Average salary||INR 2 - 15 lakh|
|Job profiles||Human Resource Executive, HR Managers, Compensation manager, Change Consultant, HR Specialist, etc|
|Top Companies||Snapdeal, SBI, BCG, HCL, Infosys, SAMSUNG, Uber, Microsoft, TCS, IBM, etc.|
PGDHRM: Why to study this course?
- The graduates can become an integral part of the organization, which works for the profitability of the organization as well as the employees.
- For the smooth functioning and operation of any organization, the work of the HR department in those organizations becomes very important.
- All aspects of employee salary, employee rules and regulations, compensation and leave policy, etc, fall under the HR department. All these tasks are very essential to maintain order and discipline in the organization.
- Whether it is a small scale industry or a multinational company, the HR department acts as a backbone to keep the organization operating 24*7 smoothly.
- PGDHRM is a strong course that will bring you many great career opportunities.
PGDHRM vs MBA in HRM
Both PGDHRM and MBA HRM are best at their places. A comparison has been made between them for candidates to make a choice between them.
Check out: Top MBA HRM Colleges in India.
|Specialization||It is a career-oriented course that just deals with the study of human resource management, human resource development, organizational behavior, strategic management, etc..||It is a specialization in HR but it also consists of areas like Finance, Marketing, Operations, and Human Resource & Business Analytics.|
|Eligible Criteria||Bachelor’s degree in any stream||Bachelor’s degree in any stream|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Average Course Fees||INR 10K - 25 lakh||INR 4 - 25 lakh|
|Job Roles||Human Resource Executive, HR Managers, Compensation manager, Change Consultant, HR Specialist, etc||HR Generalist, Technical Recruiter, Director of Staff, Placement Manager, Training & Relations Manager, Organizational Consultant, etc.|
|Top Companies||Snapdeal, SBI, BCG, HCL, Infosys, SAMSUNG, Uber, Microsoft, TCS, IBM, etc.||AMAZON, Wipro, Reliance, TATA, Hudson, Global Inc, ICICI Bank, Unilever, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 2 - 15 lakh||INR 4 - 17 lakh|
PGDHRM Top Colleges
The table below shows the list of top colleges that offer PGDHRM courses, along with their course fees and average salary. These colleges have been ranked by NIRF.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Course Fees||Average Salary Package|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur||INR 4.1 lakh||INR 17 lakh|
|11||International Management Institute||New Delhi||INR 16.49 lakh||INR 12 lakh|
|16||NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 7 lakh||INR 4 lakh|
|17||Apeejay School of Management||New Delhi||INR 7.50 lakh||INR 5 lakh|
|20||Indian Institute of Management||Ranchi||INR 9.75 lakh||INR 5 lakh|
|30||Institute of Technology and Science||Ghaziabad||__||INR 10 - 25 Lakh|
|78||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 4.64 lakh||INR 8.4 lakh|
|113||International School of Informatics and Management||Jaipur||__||INR 4.07 lakh|
|__||Amity Global Business School||Noida||INR 6.32 lakh||INR 5 - 6 lakh|
PGDHRM Course Comparison
A comparison has been among the top colleges offering PGDHRM courses. The comparison is done on the basis of NIRF Ranking, course fees, average salary, admission process, and top recruiters.
|Parameters||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||International Management Institute||NIMS University|
|Overview||XLRI is known to be among the best management colleges in India. They offer courses like MBA, PGDM, GMP, and various certificate and executive courses.||IMI New Delhi is a Private Business School located in New Delhi, India. Established in 1981, it was India's first corporate sponsored business school. They offer both MBA and PGDM courses.||NIMS University is becoming a leading center of education in areas like health sciences, technical training, advanced engineering, personnel, corporate management, etc.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||9||11||16|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam and Interview||Entrance Exam and Interview||Entrance examination/ Merit-based and Interview|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 4.1 lakh||INR 16.49 lakh||INR 7 lakh|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 17 lakh||INR 12 lakh||INR 4 lakh|
|Top Recruiters||Mckinsey, BCG, Deloitte, HUL, P&G, PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, Marico, Colgate, L'Oreal, Goldman Sachs, etc||American Express, ANZ Bank, Axis Bank, CARE Ratings, Citi Bank, CRISIL, etc||Microsoft, Buyju, Zaro, Infosys, TCS, WIPRO, Genpact, etc|
PGDHRM Distance Learning
A distance learning program can be completely in distance mode, or a combination of distance learning and traditional classroom instruction.
PGDHRM from distance learning is very common among working professionals. A PGDHRM degree can act as a promotion and thus a distance learning program can also be quite beneficial.
IGNOU is known for distance learning programs and they also offer PGDHRM. The degree offered by IGNOU is highly considered and is quite affordable than any other institute. There is also no age bar. The duration of the course is a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 8 years.
Some of the top colleges that offer PGDHRM from distance mode are:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Course Fees||Average Salary|
|22||Symbiosis Institute of Business Management||Pune, Maharashtra||Entrance based||INR 83K||INR 20.14 lakh|
|32||AMITY School of Distance Learning||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||Merit-based||INR 1.20 lakh||INR 6 lakh|
|90||CMR Institute of Management Studies||Bangalore, Karnataka||Merit-based||INR 1.8 lakh||INR 3.5 lakh|
|NA||Kota Open University||Kota, Rajasthan||Merit-based||-||INR 3 lakh|
|NA||IGNOU||New Delhi||Entrance based||INR 11K||INR 10 lakh|
PGDHRM is usually a 1-year career-oriented course and is divided into 2 semesters. The syllabus followed by most of the institutes is quite similar. Below are the topics that are usually taught in PGDHRM.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Management concepts & Organizational behavior||Human resources management|
|Managerial economics||Human resources development|
|Business environment and Law||Performance management|
|Operations research and management||Employee legislation|
|Strategic management||Organizational development and change|
PGDHRM Jobs and Career Options
- Human resource managers are in charge of every aspect of the employee life cycle in an organization.
- The duties of HR include planning, recruitment, and selection process, posting job ads, evaluating the performance of employees, organizing resumes and job applications, scheduling interviews and assisting in the process, and ensuring background checks.
- HR also coordinates employee relations activities and programs including but not limited to employee counseling.
- The last job is regular maintenance. This job makes sure that the current HR files and databases are up to date, maintaining employee benefits and employment status and performing payroll/benefit-related reconciliations.
- Some popular job titles in the field of HR management are HR Generalist, HR recruiter, HR specialist, Compensation manager, Employee relations manager, Training and Development Manager, Change consultant, and Technical recruiter.
Some of the job profiles along with the description and average salary are mentioned in the table below:
|HR Generalist||A Human Resources Generalist is a professional who oversees the human resources responsibilities and activities of an organization. They manage recruitment processes, employee relations, regulatory compliance training & development.||INR 4,84,774|
|HR recruiter||The duties include planning, recruitment, and selection process, posting job ads, evaluating the performance of employees, organizing resumes and job applications, scheduling interviews, and assisting in the process and ensuring background checks.||INR 4,83,217|
|Training and Development manager||Training and Development managers are equipped with the tools to conduct a needs analysis, build training programs to suit the needs of the organization by using a variety of training techniques, create training materials and execute and guide training programs.||INR 7,83,054|
|Employee relations manager||Employee relations managers are in charge of every aspect of the employee life cycle in an organization. The overall purpose of the Employee relations manager is to ensure that the organization is able to achieve success through people.||INR 7,32,503|
|Change consultant||Change consultant experts suggest solutions based on expertise and experience and assist in the implementation. The role is very typical in information benchmarking and design consulting.||INR 1,00,235|
PGDHRM Future Scope
There are a lot of career options after completing PGDHRM courses.
- HR is a profession that gives a chance to have human relations with a number of people, from various cultures and temperaments every day. Basically they get to interact with different people.
- The PGDHRM graduates can start their own consultancy and hire more HR.
- They can be an Employee relation manager who screens the candidates, interviews then hire, and so on.
- They can be a Training & Development Manager who arranges training for the new employees.
- They can plan to pursue higher studies in the field of management like M.Phil in Management Studies or PhD HRM. Check out the top PhD HRM Colleges and M.Phil Management Studies Colleges.
Ques. What are the Top Colleges for PGDHRM?
Ans. Some of the top colleges for PGDHRM are XLRI Jamshedpur, International Management Institute, Amity Global Business School, IIM Ranchi, NIMS University, etc.
Ques. Which is a better course PGDHRM or MBA HRM?
Ans. Both courses are good. It totally depends on the candidate, what they expect out of these courses. PGDHRM is a career-oriented course of 1 year. The candidate who wants to get promoted to a better position in their organization usually opt for this 1-year course. Whereas MBA HRM is usually opted to land into high paying jobs in the top companies.
Ques. How can I apply for PGDHRM in IGNOU?
Ans. The candidates will have to fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria i.e, 50% marks in UG, and will have to clear OPENMAT conducted by IGNOU.
Ques. What is the PGDHRM course duration in IGNOU? Is the course affordable?
Ans. The duration of the course is a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 8 years. The candidates can complete the course at their own speed. Also, the fees are quite affordable, i.e, INR 7,500, which is the total course fees.
Ques. Which is better, IIM Trichy or IIM Ranchi?
Ans. All the IIMs are quite reputed and the IIM students are always considered before the candidates from other management institutes. The candidates can choose among these two by checking on the fees they can afford. IIM Trichy is quite expensive compared to IIM Ranchi.
Ques. Is 70 percentile in CAT a good score.
Ans. 70 percentile may not be sufficient to get admission in top IIMs and the other top institutes. But there are multiple other colleges like LPU, XISS Ranchi, VIT Business School Vellore, Gitam Institute of Management Visakhapatnam, Acharya Bangalore Business School, etc.
Ques. What are the job roles available after completing PGDHRM?
Ans. Some popular job titles in the field of HR management are HR Generalist, HR Recruiter, HR Specialist, Compensation manager, Employee relations manager, Training and Development Manager, Change consultant, and Technical recruiter.
Ques. Does IIM Ranchi have its own campus?
Ans. IIM Ranchi is among the new IIMs and it still does not have a permanent campus. A plot of 60.4 acres has been allotted to IIM Ranchi which resides in the outskirts of the city.
Ques. Which are the top institutes for PGDHRM distance learning?
Ans. Top institutes that can be referred for PGDHRM distance learning is Symbiosis School of Distance learning and NMIMS University.