PGDM Business Analytics or Post Graduate Diploma in Management Business Analytics is a 2 years course.
In order to be eligible for the course, candidates must have completed graduation with any stream from a recognized university.
Admission to this course by top colleges like NMIMS, IFIM Business School, Welingkar Institute of Management is generally offered after qualifying the respective exams.
Some of the common entrances that students can take to gain admission to PGDM Business Analytics are CAT, MAT, XAT, NMAT, etc.
The average cost to pursue this programme in India starts at 3 lakhs per annum and goes to 12 lakhs per annum.
PGDM Business Analytics syllabus is a mixture of theory and practical subjects. Apart from gaining theoretical knowledge in subjects like Management Functions and more, one needs to conduct several practical works like market surveys, researches, etc.
Mentioned below are the top PGDM Business Analytics Colleges in India, according to the Business World Rankings.
|Business World Rankings||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Package|
|#3||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||NMAT 2020||INR 8,50,000||INR 17.79 LPA|
|#16||Welingkar Institute of Management||CAT, XAT, GMAT||INR 1,10,0000||INR 8.5 LPA|
|#19||IFIM Business School||CAT, XAT, GMAT||INR 8,00,000||INR 7.5 LPA|
|#21||Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management||CAT, GMAT||INR 5,84,000||INR 9.2 LPA|
|#34||ITM Business School||CAT, MAT, NMAT||INR 4,95,000||INR 7.5 LPA|
After completion of the course, the candidates are recruited at big companies such as Amazon, JSW Steel, HCL, HP, Dell, Flipkart, GODREJ, IBM, Hitachi, etc. These companies are well known for offering good packages ranging from INR 5-10 LPA to these professionals.
PGDM Business Analytics graduates occupy positions such as Data Scientist, Health Care Analyst, Predictive Modeller, Quantitative Analyst, Market Research Analyst, Computer System Analysts, and more.
Apart from making a career in industries like MNC’s, Banks, Marketing Agencies, Market Research Companies, etc, Candidates can go for studying Further. M.Phil or Ph.D in management courses are well suggested after the completion of PGDM Business Analytics.
PGDM Business Analytics Admission Process
Admissions to the PGDM Business Analytics courses are offered through the common aptitude test (CAT) conducted by top institutes like Indian Institutes of Management. Other entrance tests accepted are XAT, MAT, GMAT, NMAT, etcil.
Based on the test scores of the relevant examination, applicants are selected and called for personal interviews or group discussions. On cracking all the rounds, candidates are granted admission to the course.
Following are the common admission procedure details for PGDM Business Analytics.
- Online Registration: Log on to the website of the respective college and go to the online admissions portal. Create an account by providing details such as email id, contact number, and password. An application number will be generated.
- Form Fill Up: Fill in the application form with the correct details. In most cases, you will have to also select the desired course in the application form. Be sure to carefully choose Business Analytics as the desired specialization.
- Documents Upload: Upload the scanned copies of the documents, images and signatures according as per the requirement.
- Application Fee: Pay the application fee through the appropriate mode using a Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
- Save and Download: Download the application form and save it. Also keep a hard copy of the same, along with a copy of the fee receipt.
- Group Discussions and Personal Interview: The selected candidates may then have to appear for group discussion and personal interview rounds. In group discussions, common topics will be given to a group of students for their individual views. Questions based on hobbies, interest and academics are asked in the personal interview round.
PGDM Business Analytics Eligibility
Following is a list qualifications required to be eligible for the PGDM Business Analytics course:
- Students must have a minimum of three-year graduate degree with a minimum 50% aggregate marks from any University recognized by AIU /AICTE are eligible.
- Students who are sitting for their final exams can also apply provided they maintain a minimum of 50% aggregate marks at the time of graduation.
- Any graduate can pursue Business Analytics. However, a Science or Commerce background is generally more helpful as it provides a link to maths and statistics which is involved in Business Analytics.
PGDM Business Analytics Entrance Exams
Applicants are required to appear for the popular MBA entrances to gain admission to the course. A list of the same is mentioned below:
- CAT: The Common Admission Test is a computer based test for admission conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management conducted in the 3rd week of November.
- GMAT: GMAT 2020 is a computer based exam that measures verbal, quantitative and analytical concepts, conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council.
- NMAT: This is a national level test conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council.
- XAT: Xavier’s Aptitude Test is a national level test organised by XLRI Jamshedpur on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes. It is a gateway to XAMI member institutes and over 700 B schools across India for their MBA/ PGDM programs.
- MAT: Management Aptitude Test is conducted by All India Management Association. As a precautionary measure this year due to the COVID situation, MAT is also being conducted online.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date (Tentative)||Exam Mode|
|CAT 2020||August 8- September 25, 2020||November 25, 2020||Online|
|GMAT 2020||In process||To be notified later||Online|
|NMAT 2020||July 2-October 5, 2020||October 6-December 19, 2020||Online|
|XAT 2021||3rd Week of August-1st Week of December 2020||1st Week of January 2021||Online|
|MAT 2020||May 7-June 24, 2020||May 25-July 5, 2020||Pen Paper Based/ Computer-Based Mode and Internet Based Test|
How to prepare for entrance exams?
The primary examination concerned for entrance to all PGDM courses in the Common Aptitude Test. However, most of the entrance tests follow similar patterns and mainly attempt to test aptitude of the candidates.
The following tips can be considered to enhance one’s performance:
- Focus on strengthening your basics: For an examination like CAT, one requires absolute conceptual clarity and a clear understanding of the basics. Attempt to identify your weaknesses and strengths, and work towards the same.
- Practice managing your time: Time yourself and make sure you stick to the allotted time for each question while preparing. Also work on accuracy on the attempted questions, instead of attempting all questions hurriedly. Keep practicing mock tests and solve previous year papers.
- Organisation of work: There is no shortage of study material for a popular exam like CAT. However, having multiple study resources can be confusing and stressful. Therefore, students are advised to research well about their choice of study material and stick to the same instead of trying to cover topics from everywhere.
- Comprehension: Candidates should primarily focus on the reading comprehension passages as a majority of questions will be from this topic. For a good attempt to score 95 percentile, candidates should attempt to answer 26+ questions.
- There are three main sections in these exams:
- Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
- Quantitative Aptitude/ Reasoning
- Apart from this, some entrance exams also have a General Knowledge (GK) section.
- For verbal reasoning, read books, journals, magazines, newspapers, etc. of international standards like Economic Times, Wall Street Journal and more.
How to get admission in the top PGDM Business Analytics colleges?
Here are some points one can use to get admission into the top PGDM Business Analytics Colleges like NMIMS, ITM Business School and more :
- Before you appear for the examination, select your preferred colleges and conduct thorough research into the college. Find out the trend of admission cut-off, the syllabus, and if possible, the type of questions asked in the exams.
- To get into the best schools, an accuracy level of at least 85% is required in the entrance examinations. Hence, prepare thoroughly for the same.
- Apart from the entrance examinations, the bachelor degree marks are also important. A minimum of 70% will be required for admission into the top colleges.
- While preparing for the entrances, do not forget to prepare yourself well for the group discussion and personal Interview rounds.
- It is recommended to give special attention to the general awareness section, so gather as much information as possible to crack that section as well.
- Lastly, keep yourself updated with the latest information related to your preferred colleges, exams and other important dates.
PGDM Business Analytics: What is it about?
Following are some of the points to help you know more about the course details:
- PGDM Business Analytics is the combination of skills, technologies, applications and processes used by organizations to gain data-driven insights.
- The insights offered by the course can be used to aid decision-making across functions including finance, marketing, and operations.
- A PGDM Business Analytics is recommended to anyone involved in the planning, implementation, monitoring and measuring the effectiveness of Big Data strategy.
- The program focuses on Analytics as an amalgamation of arts, science, and technology, which has become one of the most prominent applications of technology in the world.
- The course requires students to have several market visits apart from studying theory subjects.
- The main emphasis is given on the holistic development of students with a vision to make them world-class leaders and business professionals.
PGDM Business Analytics is generally offered by institutes approved by either the All India Council of Technical Education or the Association of Indian Universities. In the case of the latter, the PGDM degree is equivalent to an MBA degree.
PGDM Business Analytics: Courses Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are as follows.
|Full Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Business Analytics)|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any stream with minimum 50%|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination|
|Average Fees||INR 3-12 LPA|
|Average Package||INR 5-10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Amazon, JSW Steel, HCL, HP, Dell, Flipkart, GODREJ, IBM, Hitachi, etc|
|Top Recruiting Areas:||MNC’s, Telecom Companies, Banks, Marketing Agencies, Market Research Companies, Consultancies, Law Firms, Entertainment Portal, Hotels and Resorts, etc.|
|Job Positions:||Data Scientist, Health Care Analyst, Statistician, Predictive Modeller, Quantitative Analyst, Project Manager, Market Research Analyst, Computer System Analysts, and Technical Team Leader, etc|
Why study PGDM Business Analytics?
In the modern age, technology is making its way into all courses and sectors. Information is required to be collected, analysed, sorted and arranged with the use of technology. This comes under the Business Analytics specialization. Hence, it is one of the fastest rising specialisations among students today. A career in business analytics is highly rewarding with great future prospects.
Here are some reasons you should choose Business Analytics as your specialisation:
- Easy Adaptability:
PGDM Business Analytics is required in a wide range of industries and sectors. From the top MNC’s to even the Hospitality and Entertainment industry, it includes all. It is relatively easier to switch and adapt between industries with this as your specialisation. Past experience and professional background is not a restriction on these choices as the degree is quite wide and far reaching.
- A Dynamic Career:
This career makes way for professional development throughout their career. The nature of the job urges one to keep updated with various departments and sectors, which is a continuous and enriching learning process.
- Top Recruiters:
Graduates with this degree get exposed to top recruits like Amazon, JSW Steel, HCL, HP, Dell, Flipkart, GODREJ, IBM, Hitachi, etc. These companies not only offer decent starting packages but also provide recognition to the employees.
- High Packages:
PGDM Business Analytics professionals can easily bag high paying jobs in either private or government sectors. The average salary offered to these graduates ranges from INR 5-10 LPA.
PGDM Business Analytics vs. MBA Business Analytics
PGDM Business Analytics stands for a Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Business Analytics) while MBA is a Master of Business Administration (Business Analytics). Both these courses have their own objectives and subjects.
Below we have discussed the major differences between both the courses on major parameters.
|Parameters||PGDM Business Analytics||MBA Business Analytics|
|Degree Type||Post Graduate Diploma in Management
||Master of Business Administration|
|Course Overview||This course is offered by the universities Approved by AICTE. It revolves around both the technical aspects and theoretical aspects of business analytics.||This course is offered by the universities Approved by AIU or affiliated to other such institutions. The field focuses on technical and business domains which aim to deal with technology and data driven environments. It follows a business and industry approach of study|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any stream from any recognized university.||Completed Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from any recognized university with minimum 50% aggregate.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit Based/Entrance Exam||Merit Based/Entrance Exam|
Average Annual Fees
INR 3-12 LPA
|INR 5- 15 LPA|
|Top Colleges||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Welingkar Institute of Management, IFIM Business School, Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management ITM Business School, etc
||NIT Trichy, Lovely Professional University, Amity University, IFMR Graduate School of Business, etc|
INR 5-10 LPA
|NR 8- 16 LPA|
Source: University Website and Payscale
PGDM Business Analytics Colleges
Some of the top PGDM Business Analytics Colleges in India are tabulated below:
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||INR 8,50,000||INR 17.79 LPA|
|Welingkar Institute of Management||Mumbai||INR 1,10,0000||INR 8.5 LPA|
|IFIM Business School||Bangalore||INR 8,00,000||INR 7.5 LPA|
|Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management||Delhi||INR 5,84,000||INR 9.2 LPA|
|ITM Business School||Navi Mumbai||INR 4,95,000||INR 7.5 LPA|
|Indus Business Academy||Bangalore||INR 4,31,000||INR 6.47 LPA|
|Gitam School Of International Business||Visakhapatnam||INR 3,00,000||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Jagannath International Management School||New Delhi||INR 3,60,000||INR 7 LPA|
|NIT Trichy||Tiruchirappalli||INR 14,01,520||INR 15-18 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 3,04,000||INR 8-20 LPA|
The table below shows the comparison made between two of the top PGDM Business Analytics Colleges in India:
|Parameters||NIT Trichy||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies|
|College overview||NIT Trichy offers 10 undergraduate and 28 graduate programs. It is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India.||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS) was established under the patronage of SVKM in 1981. It is one of the top 10 B-Schools of the country.|
|Business Today Ranking||47||9|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 14,01,520||INR 8,50,000|
|Average Annual Package||INR 15-18 LPA||INR 17.79 LPA|
|Top recruiters||Cognizant, Amazon, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, L&T, , HCL, Deloitte US & India, ZS Associates, etc||ICICI Bank, Honeywell, L&T Infotech, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Aditya Birla Capital, HDFC bank, Cognizant, Max Life Insurance, OYO, etc|
Source: University websites and Payscale
PGDM Business Analytics Syllabus
The programme is generally divided into 4 semesters, each of which last approximately 6 months.
From Management Functions, Business Statistics to subjects like Data Analytics, Business Law & Corporate Governance and more, PGDM Business Analytics Syllabus revolves around the core of Business Analytics.
Throughout the duration of the course, students are required to do several industry visits, market surveys and other relevant projects related to the course. This shows how the PGDM Business Analytics is not only oriented towards theoretical approaches, but an amalgamation of both theory and practice.
Mentioned below is a tabulation of the PGDM Business Analytics syllabus of each semester.
|Module 1||Module 2|
|Management Functions & OB||Operations Management|
|Business Statistics||Human Resource Management|
|Managerial Economics||Marketing Management|
|Introduction to IT Systems||Research Methodology|
|Business Communication||Financial Management|
|Financial Accounting||Economics and Social Environment|
|Module 3||Module 4|
|Introduction to Big Data||Business Law|
|Data Analytics Using R||International Business|
|Data Analytics Using SAS||Entrepreneurial Management|
|Advanced Analytics using R||Enterprise Systems|
|Applied Statistics||Management Accounting|
|Study Development||Corporate Governance|
|Case Business Simulation||Project Work|
PGDM Business Analytics Job Profiles and Career Prospects
PGDM Business Analytics has a wide application and use cases across industries over a spectrum of roles. There are a plethora of opportunities in various sectors such as banking, retail, finance, insurance, healthcare, automobile, etc. Based on your skills and aptitude you can get jobs in some of the more advanced areas of analytics, ranging from machine organizing, artificial intelligence and more.
The average pay scale for a fresher is INR 5-6 lakh per annum based on the skill and organization. After 2 years the average pay scale increases to 7-10 lakh per annum. Staying consistent throughout the field can even help an individual earn more than INR 10 LPA.
Popular hiring organizations for such students include:
- JSW Steel
The table below shows some of the popular PGDM Business Analytics jobs, along with the job description and their average annual salary.
|Job Position||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Data Scientist||Responsibilities include scrutinising information using data analysis tools. The meaningful results they pull from the raw data help their employers or clients make important decisions by identifying various facts and trends.||INR 7 LPA|
|Market Research Analyst||Responsibilities include monitoring and forecasting marketing and sales trends, measuring the effectiveness of marketing programs and strategies and devising and evaluating methods for collecting data, such as surveys, questionnaires, and opinion polls.||INR 8 LPA|
|HealthCare Analyst||Responsibilities include evaluating medical data to improve the business part of hospitals and medical facilities, preparing status reports, creating record-keeping processes, and assessing data from different sources.||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Quantitative Analyst||The duties are to maintain and enhance pricing analytics, co-ordinate and share knowledge with quants in other locations, optimise code, and follow the team's best practices.||INR 13 LPA|
|Computer System Analysts||The duties are to ensure that all computer systems within an organization serve to support organizational goals, determine the strengths and weaknesses of the existing systems and identify areas for improvement.||INR 6 LPA|
PGDM Business Analytics Scope
PGDM Business Analytics jobs in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, and Delhi have substantial progress and are lucrative in every organization. Business Analysts are no longer only hired by Manufacturing Companies, but also by sectors like the Information Technology sector, stock market, Banks, and different financial institutions. The scope of Business Analytics has been expanding all over India as well as the world.
However, after successfully completing the course, one can opt to get a higher degree as well. In that case, M.Phil or Ph.D courses in management are the popular ones to choose from. A higher degree in the same domain will not only make an individual more professional but will also help to have a strong understanding of the subject.
Organisations are mostly following a data driven analysis. The business analytics role is combined with data analytics which is going to play an important role for data security systems of an organization. This, in turn, acts as a contributor to making the future of PGDM Business Analytics prosperous and bright.
PGDM Business Analytics: FAQ
Ques. What is NMAT?
Ans. NMAT 2020 is an important national level MBA entrance test leading to PGDM admission 2020 in top PGDM colleges like NMIMS Mumbai, ITM Business School, etc. It used to be conducted by the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies but is now conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council.
Ques. Is PGDM Business Analytics better than MBA Business Analytics?
Ans. Both PGDM Business Analytics and MBA Business Analytics are postgraduate degrees in the management field. The basic difference between them is that MBA Business Analytics provides a more practical approach than PGDM Business Analytics. There is a difference in the course fees as well.
Ques. What are the other specializations I can do besides PGDM Business Analytics?
Ans. PGDM offers many specializations like Marketing, International Business, Finance, Logistics-Supply Chain Management & Operations, and many more.
Ques. What are the top colleges in Maharashtra to do PGDM Business Analytics from?
Ans. Maharashtra has some of the leading colleges in this field. These include NMIMS, Welingkar Institute of Management and ITM Business School. Check the PGDM Business Analytics college in Maharashtra.
Ques. How do I become a strong contender to be selected for this course?
Ans. Besides fulfilling the requirement, you should present a strong educational background (excellent grades and test scores), outstanding intellectual capabilities, potential to engage in high quality research, a high level of motivation and drive to become a scholar in this course.
Ques. I have not given the CAT this year. Can I still apply for the course?
Ans. If you have given CAT within the last three years, you can still apply. In addition, you can also apply through the other examinations such as XAT, MAT, NMAT or GMAT.
Ques. Is there any age limit to apply to the course?
Ans. No, there is no age limit.
Ques What are the important NMAT dates for 2020?
Ans. The important NMAT dates for 2020 are as follows.
|Exam Activity||Starts||Last Date|
|Registration & Application Process||July 02, 2020||October 03, 2020|
|Facility to choose NMAT Exam Date||July 02, 2020||October 16, 2020|
|NMAT 2020 Exam Dates||October 04, 2020||December 17, 2020|
|Retake Scheduling dates||October 05, 2020||December 14, 2020|
|NMAT Result Date||--||3rd week, January, 2021|
|Last date for score card download||--||March 31, 2021|