CMAT Preparation 2022 should start well in advance to cover the vast syllabus in the designated time with a sound plan. Candidates are advised to begin preparation for CMAT 2022 at least 6 months before the exam date. Aspirants are expected to be well versed with CMAT Exam Pattern & Syllabus to avoid any last-minute chaos during CMAT Preparation 2022. A total of 100 questions worth 400 marks will be asked in CMAT 2022 exam. Check CMAT Exam Pattern
CMAT Syllabus is divided into 5 sections viz. Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension, General Awareness, and a new optional section on Innovation & Entrepreneurship introduced in the 2021 exam. The exam duration of CMAT 2022 will be 3 hours, however, candidates opting for the optional section will be given 30 minutes extra. Check CMAT Syllabus
CMAT Latest Updates:
- August 18: CMAT 2022 exam will tentatively be conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) in February/ March 2022. Check here
- August 12: Solving Previous Year CMAT Question Papers is essential to crack CMAT 2022. Download Free PDFs
Before devising CMAT 2022 preparation strategy keep the following questions in mind:
- When to start preparation for CMAT and what mode to choose?
- What are recommended books for preparation? Are they available to you?
- Are there any other resources needed to prepare apart from books?
- Strategy to prepare online for the exam
CMAT Preparation: Dos and Dont’s
|Go through the previous year papers to get an idea of the type and the difficulty level of questions asked||Do not study irrelevant topics and stick to the revised CMAT syllabus.|
|Solve CMAT Previous year Papers as solving practice papers reflect on your level of preparation for CMAT 2022||Do not let the GK section in CMAT exam stress you out. Candidates who have not done CMAT preparation before may find this section difficult to prepare|
|Prepare for CMAT exam to solve fewer questions correctly rather than attempting too many and losing marks||Do not be clueless about what the good number of attempts is. If you answer 70 questions with 80 percent accuracy, it should suffice.|
|Focus on completing the syllabus for CMAT exam a month before the exam date to have ample amount of time for revision||While preparing for CMAT exam, do not keep any target score. This reason being, in CMAT your rank matters and not the total score|
|Do practice sectional mock tests and analyze your performance in it and work on your weak areas.||Avoid attempting too complex questions from CMAT Language Comprehension as they can be very time-consuming. Too many Questions from critical reasoning should also be avoided|
|Do not be clueless about what the good number of attempts is. If you answer 70 questions with 80 percent accuracy, it should suffice.||Many candidates deprive themselves of sleep the day before CMAT Exam. Not only does this add to your stress but also spikes the chances of forgetting what has already been learned|
|Stay focused and prepare every day||If the initial impression of the paper is that many questions are harder than expected, do not lose confidence. Remember, CMAT 2022 will be a 3-hour long exam and you will have plenty of time to think about them|
CMAT 2022 General Preparation Tips for Self Study
- Plan Your Study: This is the first step to CMAT 2022 preparation. Every candidate must plan and allocate their time to studies and stick to the plan. Allot the time according to the difficulty level of the sections and the time taken to prepare for it. While CMAT Preparation 2022, candidates must make sure that every section is covered. All the hours and days before the exam must be organized according to the syllabus.
- Solve Mock Tests: Usually, an official CMAT mock test is released on the official website. If it is not available, the candidate must solve as many mock tests as possible from other sources of CMAT Preparation. These tests will help the candidate familiarize themselves with their weaknesses as well as strong points. One must start with weekly or bi-weekly tests and then go ahead with daily tests and manage the time accordingly with each section.
- Distributive Learning: The candidates must try and cover more than one subject in one day to ensure extensive CMAT preparation 2022. Studying one subject for too long will make excessive studying redundant. Learning two subjects turn by turn will keep the mind absorbed and bring variety to the studying schedule.
- Revise Regularly: Gradual and regular revision makes the candidates familiar with the types of questions and CMAT exam pattern. It helps the candidates to get disciplined about their CMAT 2022 preparation strategy. The regular revision will increase accuracy and thus will lead to a boost in confidence.
- Make Basics your Strength: There are always some basic questions from all the sections that are present in the question paper almost every year. The nature of these questions is the same. Candidates must practice these questions as much as possible. It helps in solving the predicted questions in the minimum time possible during the examination.
- Practice last year's question papers: To get an exact idea about the exam and get familiar with the pattern, candidates must practice last year’s question papers. This will avoid last-minute anxiety.
- Take Regular Breaks: The candidates must go for shorter studying sessions for efficient CMAT preparation. During the preparation for CMAT 2022, candidates must keep in mind that studying for long intervals will make their brains tiresome. Candidates must take short but regular breaks so that the mind stays fresh.
- Set a Finishing Date: The candidate must set a deadline for the completion of the whole syllabus and plan the whole CMAT 2022 preparation process accordingly. A deadline needs to be set for every section so that those candidates can finish learning new topics and concentrate on revising them. More importantly, this date must be strict as well as feasible. Goals that are not feasible must not be set. After this, he/she can start giving mocks and solving test papers.
CMAT 2022 Study Plan
Devising a preparation strategy for CMAT exam can be a tricky task. Students often wonder how to plan their preparation for CMAT exam and pondering over this takes away a lot of their valuable time. Hence to aid you in your CMAT exam preparation, here is a carefully designed 3 stage study plan:
Stage 1: Analyze CMAT Exam Pattern and Cover the Syllabus
For comprehensive and strategic CMAT Preparation 2022, it is extremely important to go through the entire CMAT Syllabus and analyze the exam pattern to understand the requirements of the exam and to be able to identify the weak and strong areas. A brief highlight of CMAT Exam Pattern is given below for your reference:
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Number of Sections||4|
|Questions in Each Section||25|
|Type of Question||MCQ|
|Marking Pattern|| |
+4 for the correct answer
-1 for the wrong answer
CMAT Syllabus is defined by NTA in the official brochure. CMAT Syllabus has been divided into 4 sections Quantitative Techniques which includes aspects of Mathematics with emphasis on arithmetic and data interpretation, English Language and Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, and General Awareness.
The syllabus is further divided into sub-sections to pin down important topics. Thus the scope of CMAT syllabus is quite wise like other management entrance exams. There cannot be a strong preparation without getting fully acquainted with CMAT syllabus.
- Start with a section that seems tough to you
- Complete a section and then try to move on to a new one
- Do not confuse yourself by preparing multiple topics at the same time
Stage 2: Practice Through Sample Papers/ Mock Test
After covering the basics of the Syllabus, move on to solving sample papers. National Testing Agency too releases an official mock test on the website, do practice it to get a hold of how the question paper will look like on exam day.
- Do not jump on solving mock tests as it can be demotivating, complete CMAT Syllabus and then move onto sample papers.
- Analyze your performance after each mock test to know your weak and strong points.
- Try to increase speed and accuracy with every mock test
- Try to solve sectional mock tests and a variety of questions from varied sources
Stage 3: Thorough Revision
In the last few days prior to the exam, revision should be the focus. Devote more time to topics that seem difficult. Do not start a new chapter or topic on the last day and instead focus on topics already covered. Relax a day prior to the exam and give time to rejuvenate. Avoid revising on the exam day.
Revision is the key to ace the exam as the extent of the syllabus can be confusing. Try to revise section wise-prepare notes for revision especially for basic concepts, tricks, and tips that suit you, theorems, and formulas.
How to Prepare for CMAT 2022 exam in 3 Months?
3 months are enough to prepare for CMAT exam if you have studied earlier for any other competitive exam. You just need to make a few changes in your preparation strategy to prepare for CMAT 2022 exam in 3 months. Given below are the most important points you need to keep in mind to finish your preparations for CMAT exam in 3 months:
- Go through all the important basic concepts of all topics in CMAT syllabus.
- Pick 1-2 good books by Arun Sharma, Nishit K Sinha, R S Aggarwal, Arihant publications, and Norman Lewis for preparing for each section and practice all the questions from these books.
- Visit online youtube channels for CMAT preparation as they will help you in learning new tricks for solving questions in minimum time.
- During the first month of preparation, try to attempt at least 1 mock test every week and increase it with time. Initially, you may score fewer marks, but this is the time for preparation, hence focus on rectifying your mistakes and improving your weak areas.
- Never skip a day without studying. Consistency is the key to prepare well for any management entrance exam.
How to Prepare for CMAT 2022 in 6 Months?
6 months is the maximum time that you require to prepare well for CMAT exam. For candidates who start their CMAT preparation 6 months before the scheduled exam date, must definitely go through the key points mentioned below to devise their preparation strategy accordingly:
- The first and foremost step for all aspirants is to go through the updated CMAT exam pattern and syllabus.
- Focus on completing the theory topics first and then focus on practicing questions from these topics.
- Solve a previous year CMAT question paper during the first month to get an idea of the difficulty level, and to identify your strong and weak areas.
- Practice every day and solve at least 40 questions from each section by the end of each week.
- Do not forget to revise the topics that you studied a month back in the next month. This ensures consistency and will save a lot of time in revision during the last month.
- Practice questions from books of renowned authors and also refer to study materials and question banks available online.
- Try to finish your CMAT syllabus by the end of the 4th month and focus on revision and mock tests in the last 2 months.
CMAT Last Minute Preparation Tips
Thorough preparation, a calm head, and time management will turn out to be the key to crack CMAT 2022 exam. For the last few days of CMAT Preparation 2022 before the exam date, aspirants should focus on strengthening their skills by focusing on topics that they are most comfortable with, shortcut tricks for the QA section, and not starting up with fresh topics that haven't been touched yet.
Here is a list of some last-minute CMAT Preparation Tips:
- Work on Speed and Accuracy - In the few days approaching CMAT, it is extremely important to work on speed and improve the accuracy of answers. This can be done by attempting several mock tests, sample papers, and previous years’ CMAT Question Papers. Work on improving the questions that are too time-consuming for you as well as the questions where you make a lot of mistakes.
- Revise - Now is the time for revision and making sure you are aware of how to solve each question.
- Do Not Pick Up New Topics - It is not recommended to pick up new topics too close to the exam as it will worsen your CMAT 2022 preparation. Stick to the topics that you have completed and are confident about.
- Hone your basics - Make sure that all the basics for the CMAT paper are clear. Go through the tables, formulas, grammar basics (Tenses, Prepositions, Punctuation), Word lists, Shortcuts, and other notes you have made throughout CMAT exam preparation.
- Other Useful Tips:
- Concentrate on Accuracy and Time-management
- Rely on your set defined strategy
- Brush up topics from self-made notes
- Revise shortcut methods for complex calculations
- Attempt Practice Papers and other Mock Tests
- Read the Guidelines thoroughly before starting your Paper
- Eat and rest well for the last few days
Section Wise CMAT Preparation Tips 2022
CMAT Preparation Tips for Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation
- This section has 25 questions, each of 4 marks. Remember that negative marking of -1 is applicable, and therefore attempt accordingly.
- Memorize the basics to calculate after in the exam hall such as tables up to 50, square roots, and cubes till 25.
- The only way to ace this section is more and more practice. Solve mock tests, previous year question papers at least thrice a week during the last few days of CMAT Preparation 2022. Remember, this is a calculation-based section.
- While solving mock tests, do not take more than the stipulated time in the exam. Also, try to score the minimum required cutoff score for his section.
- The main objective of this section is to test your mathematical skills in various areas such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry (cover all the sub-topics).
- Identify your weak areas through mock tests. Constant practice will enhance one’s accuracy and speed.
- Instead of a step-by-step calculation in all the questions, use shortcut tricks for the calculation to save a lot of time. These tricks can be found in online videos as well as CMAT preparation books.
- Don’t get stuck up at one question. Remember, all questions carry equal marks, so it is advisable to move on to the next question.
- The objective of the data interpretation section is the ability to interpret data that is presented in tables, graphs, and charts. It involves analysis or decision-making based on numerical data.
|CMAT Quant & DI Preparation Tips||CMAT Logical Reasoning Preparation Tips||CMAT Verbal Ability Preparation Tips|
CMAT Preparation Tips for Logical Reasoning
- The main objective of this section is to test the aspirant’s logical ability.
- While preparing for CMAT 2022, candidates should try to solve different types of problems with varying difficulty levels.
- The logical reasoning section for CMAT covers topics like statement and argument, blood relation, statement and conclusion, coding and decoding, statement and assumptions, number series, and analogies. Practice a few topics every day and you will be ready to handle the same in the exam.
CMAT Preparation Tips for Language Comprehension
- The language comprehension section for CMAT covers various types of questions such as para jumbles, reading comprehension, sentence completion, idioms and phrases, one-word substitution, and synonyms and antonyms.
- One should start reading newspapers, articles, and other forms of reading material every day to enhance one’s vocabulary and grammatical abilities for effective CMAT Preparation 2022.
- Reading on the computer will be beneficial in improving one’s reading and comprehension speed and skill for the online exam.
CMAT Preparation Tips for General Awareness
- Be updated with the recent government schemes in the areas of the economy, environmental issues, news related to finance, sports, politics, social issues, major corporate events, famous awards, world records, and international news.
- Focus on the famous and trending topics because most questions are asked from recent news or updates.
- Don’t leave this section for last-minute CMAT preparation. Watch news videos and read newspapers every day to avoid last-minute stress.
CMAT Preparation Tips for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Based on the analysis of CMAT question paper 2021, certain section specific tips have been devised and candidates are advised to follow these to score high in CMAT Innovation & Entrepreneurship section:
- Questions will be asked from topics like Budget & Economic Survey, Business affairs, New Investments, Important Events, Schemes and Policies related to Entrepreneurship and business promotion, Startups, Banking regulation and reforms, general economy, and current affairs.
- Candidates must read newspaper daily and cover all the news related to the above mentioned topics.
- Read weekly and monthly magazines like business line, business today, yojana, India today, and frontline.
- For static awareness part, refer to any year book like India Year Book, Manorama Year Book, etc.
- Basic knowledge of the economic survey and budget of India is highly recommended. For this you may refer to the summary of budget and survey available on online preparation apps.
CMAT Preparation Books 2022
Books are the most important aspect of CMAT 2022 exam preparation. Some of the books that candidates may refer to for the preparation for CMAT 2022 exam are given below. The students and experts most recommend these.
|Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation||Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||RS Agarwal|
|Accredited Guide to Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation Data Sufficiency||Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan|
|Logical Reasoning||A modern approach to logical reasoning||RS Agarwal|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit Sinha|
|Language Comprehension||The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability||Sujit Kumar|
|The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension?||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||R S Aggarwal|
|CAT Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Gautam Puri|
|General Awareness||General Knowledge||Disha Experts|
|Face To Face MAT With 19 Years (1997-2016)||BS Sijwali|
Practice Papers/ Mock Test Resources for CMAT Preparation 2022
There are many resources available for prospective candidates who wish to give CMAT 2022. Test takers can access a variety of practice test booklets and manuals available on the internet. The following table includes a curated list of the resources that are bound to be highly advantageous to candidates during their CMAT preparation 2022. Exam guides can be utilized by applicants who are just laying the groundwork, while the practice sets and solved papers will provide aid to those who are in the revision stage.
|3 Edge Advantage Series: CMAT Practice Sets||Ayush Gupta, Diwakar Sharma, Ashwani, R.K. Behl|
|Complete Reference Manual for CMAT||S.K. Sinha, S.Satyanarayan, Col. J.S. Rana|
|MBA Solved Papers (All Management Exams)||Gautam Puri|
|CMAT Exam Guide 2016||RPH Editorial Board|
|CMAT Entrance Guide that contains 5 mock tests||Disha Experts|
|Study Package for CMAT||Arun Sharma, Meenakshi Upadhyay|
Best Resources for CMAT General Awareness Preparation
NTA has not set a syllabus for current affairs or general knowledge. For many candidates, this is a reason for discontentment and confusion since they have no idea what they have to study from because the contents of the syllabus are so vast. General Awareness questions are divided into two main subsects: Static GK and Current GK.
- Current GK includes questions that are based on economic and fiscal policies, country-wise denominations, new scientific endeavors, and world politics. On the other hand, Static GK mainly focuses on arts, culture, and historical events.
- The following table delineates the resources that candidates can utilize to prepare their study material for the current affairs and general knowledge portion of CMAT 2022:
|The Hindu||Financial Express||Economic Times|
|The Financial Times||Wall Street Journal||Hindu Business Line|
|Business Today||Business World||Manorama Year Book|
|Competition Success Review||Arihant GK||Lucent’s GK|
- A vital topic in general awareness is History. To prepare for history, candidates can use Manorama Year Book, Lucent’s GK, and their 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th standard books.
- For economic insight, the financial times, financial express, economic times, Hindu business line, business world, and business world are great resources.
- Candidates can brush up on their current affairs by studying Competition Success Review, Arihant GK, Wall Street Journal, and by being subscribed to google updates.
- Many editorials, news pieces & interviews of eminent personalities are published in newspapers such as The Hindu, Indian Express, Hindustan Times, and Times of India.
Online Preparation for CMAT 2022
There are times when candidates are stuck while solving or getting through a question during CMAT Preparation 2022. In this tech-savvy generation, candidates can join online study groups. They are helpful as they provide opportunities for interaction with other candidates and experts and this ensures a better preparation for CMAT 2022. These online sources also act as doubt-solving groups. It is advised to discuss topics, tricks with the active members. You can even create a Whatsapp group for this purpose with your friends.
Online preparation for CMAT 2022 can also be done by downloading MBA exam preparation apps. There are youtube videos available along with plenty of CMAT preparation content via blogs, videos, sample questions, analysis experts. Android users can access the Google play store to download CMAT Preparation apps.
In case you are a working professional or even a student who is not able to spare time for regular class coaching and needs guidance, then online coaching can be helpful. They cost less than regular coachings and can be scheduled in accordance with your timetable.
CMAT Topper Tips for Preparation
- Prefer only the latest edition of CMAT preparation books.
- Focus on weak areas and improve by solving more and more practice papers.
- Do not neglect books by Arun Sharma and Nishit K Sinha for CMAT Preparation as they are holistic in nature.
- If opting for coaching for preparation, go through the material recommended by them.
- Regularly read newspapers and magazines to improve vocabulary
- Do not spend unnecessary time on topics that seem difficult and take way more time than the required to prepare.
Best Coaching Institutes for CMAT Exam Preparation
CMAT 2022 exam is expected to be conducted in March 2022 and there is ample amount of time to prepare for the same. Candidates looking for taking coaching classes for a well-planned and meticulous preparation must refer to the list of the best coaching institutes for CMAT exam preparation given below:
|State/ UT||Coaching Centers|
|West Bengal|| |
|Tamil Nadu|| |
CMAT Preparation Tips 2022 FAQs
Ques. How do I prepare for Language Comprehension in CMAT?
Ans. The language comprehension part for CMAT covers various types of questions such as para jumbles, reading comprehension, sentence completion, idioms and phrases, one-word substitution, and synonyms and antonyms.
One should start reading newspapers, articles, and other forms of reading material every day to enhance one’s vocabulary and grammatical abilities. Reading on a computer screen will be helpful because it will familiarize the candidate with the test format and thus in turn increase their rate of comprehension.
Check Language Comprehension Preparation Material
Ques. How do I prepare for General Awareness in CMAT?
Ans. Candidates need to be aware of all the novel schemes that are run by the Indian government and major statutory bodies in the spheres of economy, environmental degradation, financial sector, sports news, political events, social events, famous awards, and their beneficiaries, and major international news.
It is important to not just stick to one source of information i.e. books, journals, magazines. Candidates should prepare for general knowledge from a holistic perspective and watch videos, movies, read the newspaper aside from just focusing on the textual material.
Check Current Affairs Preparation Material
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in QA/DI to get a good score in CMAT 2022?
Ans. Based on an analysis of CMAT exam held in 2021, most of the questions in the exam arose from the geometry and arithmetic section. The overall difficulty level of the section was termed as ‘moderate’. Most of the candidates ended up attempting 23-25 questions in CMAT 2021.
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in Language Comprehension to get a good score in CMAT 2022?
Ans. Based on an analysis of CMAT Language Comprehension section over the past few years, most of the questions were in the easy-moderate range. The majority of the candidates answered all of the RC questions and more than half of the non-RC ones.
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in General Awareness to get a good score in CMAT 2022?
Ans. Out of current GK and static Gk, most of the questions that appeared in CMAT are from Static GK. Around one-third of the questions posed centered around current affairs and general news. A majority of the candidates attempted 13-17 questions and achieved an average 80% accuracy rate.
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in Logical Reasoning to get a good score in CMAT 2022?
Ans. Most of the logical reasoning questions in CMAT are rated in the ‘easy-moderate range by candidates because there were no questions on data sets that were overly complex or complicated. The majority of the questions were from coding-decoding, blood relations, and verbal reasoning i.e. word relationship, statement argument, statement conclusion, and assertion reason. Maximum candidates responded to more than 20 questions.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.