GATE 2022 Production and Industrial Engineering Exam Pattern- As per the latest GATE 2022 PI Exam Pattern, the paper can be divided into three major sections- General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and Core Discipline. The weightage of Engineering Mathematics is 13%, General Aptitude is 15%, and PI is 72%. Some of the major topics included in GATE 2022 PI syllabus are Work System Design, Facility Design & Product design & development, Metal forming, Welding, Metal cutting, Powder Metallurgy etc. Check GATE 2022 PI Syllabus
- Candidates who will appear for GATE 2022 PI paper can also appear for GATE ME, MT or XE as their second paper.
- GATE 2022 PI paper will have 65 multiple choice, multiple select, and numerical answer type questions.
- After qualifying GATE 2022, candidates can pursue B.E. or B.tech in production engineering to fulfill the emerging need of the industries.
Table of Contents
- GATE 2022 Engineering Sciences (XE) Syllabus
- How to prepare for GATE 2022?
- PSU Recruitment Through GATE
Highlights of GATE 2022 Production and Industrial Engineering Exam Pattern
|Mode of the exam||Online|
|Duration of the Exam||A total of 3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Questions||65|
|Total Marks||100 Marks|
|Question Type|| |
|Total sections|| |
|Marking Scheme|| |
Why is Knowledge of Exam Pattern important?
A large percentage of students take admission in engineering colleges especially in India. Therefore these examinations are earmarked for cut throat competition among aspirants to excel. A student should have complete knowledge about not only the syllabus but also exam pattern and marking scheme that is followed.
By focusing on the syllabus the student must create a study schedule or timetable that they should ardently follow. This will help them to be prepared for their upcoming exams. It will also allow students to have a better understanding of the examination and what it expects from the test-takers. In this day of age, it is pivotal to “study smarter than study harder”. Referring to GATE previous year question papers are one of the effective methods for preparation.
Details of GATE 2022 Production and Industrial Engineering Exam Pattern
- GATE 2022 Production and Industrial Engineering will be a 3-hour long computer based test.
- The exam will be conducted in the English language only.
- The total marks in GATE are 100 and the total number of questions is 65.
- The paper will have both 1 mark and 2 mark questions.
Type of Question:
- There will be 3 types of questions that will come in the exam including Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions.
- In MCQs, candidates are provided with 4 choices out of which one answer is correct.
- Each question will have choice of four answers. Out of which, one or more than one choice(s) are correct.
- NAT includes questions with a value or a real number as their answer.
Number of Sections:
- General aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics
- Subject selected by the candidates ( Production and Industrial Engineering)
- Engineering Mathematics carrying 13% of the total marks, General Aptitude carrying 15% of the total marks, and Production and Industrial Engineering subject carrying 72% of the total marks.
Know More GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
GATE 2022 Production and Industrial Engineering Marking Scheme
- For the MCQs that hold one mark; 1/3rd marks will be deducted for the incorrect attempts while the MCQs questions carry 2 marks, the deduction will be of two third marks.
- Negative marking: No marks will be deducted in case the candidates give wrong answers in NAT and MSQ questions.
- Zero marks will be deducted for unanswered/unattempted questions
- In GATE 2022, General Aptitude and Engineering Mathematics will be compulsory sections which together hold 28% weightage.
- The Production and Industrial Engineering (PI) holds the major 72% weightage in the GATE Mechanical Engineering exam.
|Type of question||Negative marking for wrong answer||Marking for correct answer|
|MCQs||1/3 for 1 mark questions 2/3 for 2 marks questions||1 or 2 marks|
|NATs||No negative marking||1 or 2 marks|
Important Topics in GATE 2022 Production & Industrial Engineering
Industrial Engineering main topics are- Work System Design, Facility Design & Product design & development, Engineering economics & Production Control, Quality Management & Reliability, Taylor’s scientific management, Gilbreths’s contributions; productivity – concepts and measurements, Principles of good product design, tolerance design; quality and cost considerations
Production Engineering main topics are Casting, Metal forming, Welding, Metal cutting, Powder Metallurgy, Non-traditional machining process, CAD & Polymers, Meteorology, Product Design and Development
General Engineering the main topics are basics of Strength of Material, Theory of Machine, Thermodynamics & Fluid mechanics, Engineering mechanics – equivalent force systems, free body concepts, equations of equilibrium
Mathematics & Aptitude- Matrices and Determinants. Mean, median, mode and standard deviation; random variables; Poisson, Linear and non-linear first order Ordinary Differential Equations (ODE); Higher order linear ODEs with constant coefficients,Limit, continuity and differentiability; partial derivatives; maxima and minima. Students can refer to previous question papers.
Based on the marks distribution your focus should be on Production , Industrial and Mathematics & Aptitude(Scoring). However, general engineering does play a crucial role in top rankers scores.
Sample Questions from GATE 2022 Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
One Mark Questions :
Question: Which of the following options is the closest in meaning to the word given below?
Question: What is the sting process?
(A) Hot tear
(D) Central burst
Question: In an The machines and auxiliary facilities are located according to processing sequence of the product (produced in very large quantities) in
(A) Process Layout
(B) Fixed Position Layout
(C) Product Layout
Two Mark Questions:
Questions: Consider the analytic function f ( z ) = x 2 - y 2 + i 2 xy of the complex variable z = x + iy , where i = - 1. The derivative f ′ ( z ) is
(A) 2 x + i 2 y
(B) x 2 + iy 2
(C) x + iy
(D) 2 x - i 2 y
Question: In order to evaluate the integral ∫ e x dx with Simpson’s 1/3rd rule, values of the function 0 ex are used at x=0.0, 0.5 and 1.0. The absolute value of the error of numerical integration is
Question: If u = 2( x 2 - y 2 ) and v = - axy represent the x- and y-components of the two-dimensional velocity field of an incompressible flow, the value of the constant a is ______.
Weightage of Sections in GATE 2022 Production & Industrial Engineering
|Paper||Exam pattern||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Production and Industrial Engineering (IP)||GA (General Aptitude)||10||15|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||45||72|
What is Production & Industrial Engineering and its Scope?
Production Engineering is a specialized field of Mechanical Engineering. The objective of this is to enable engineers to enhance their effectiveness and efficiency of manufacturing and service sector industries. The curriculum includes basic mechanical engineering subjects such as engineering mechanics, machine design, heat transfer, thermodynamics, the strength of material, etc.
The course makes graduates appropriate with the existing and emerging needs of the industry. B.E. or B.Tech in Industrial and Production Engineering is a four-year programme. Those who have pursued these courses would understand existing technological trends and help to add new technology to the existing system.
Scope of Production & Industrial Engineering
- Industrial and production engineers use principles of engineering, mass production and technology to help organizations find ways to offer services or manufacture a product efficiently. Check GATE PSU Recruitment
- The Industrial Engineers work to improve the product through better management and quality control.
- One can pursue M.Tech in Industrial and production Engineering after successful completion of B.Tech/B.E.
- The job profiles available for Industrial and production engineers are tabulated below:
|Manufacturing Engineering||Quality Engineers|
|Project Management||Plant Engineers|
|Process Engineers and Industrial Engineers||Make/Buy Analysis and Cost Estimation|
|Root Cause Analysis and process improvement||Manufacturing, Production and Distribution Ergonomics and Human Factors|
Important Instructions for Candidates
- Students are prohibited to carry any handwritten textual material inside the examination hall.
- Students are prohibited to carry mobile phones (even in the switched-off mode) or any other electronic device in the hall. It may lead to disqualification.
- Candidates appearing for the exam must carry Admit Card and original valid photo-identity proof with them.
- Any kind of communication within the examination hall is prohibited.
- The invigilators will provide for a scribble pad to the students for their rough work.
- They should not tamper with the computers provided to them in the hall.
Last-Minute Tips For Students
- Practise and get equipped using a virtual calculator. (in case you need to use it ). Check How to use GATE 2022 Virtual Calculator?
- Give yourself sufficient breaks. Listen to music for relaxation.
- Understand the paper pattern well. This will enable students to chalk out the most suitable strategy.
- Work on time management skills. Don’t give too much time to a question with less marks.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.