JEE Main counselling 2021 has started. CSAB will now conduct JoSAA NIT+ Admissions 2021 for admission to NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. The registrations for the special round counselling are now closed. CSAB will now release Seat Allotment result for Special Round 1 on December 2 on csab.nic.in. Candidates who are allotted seat in Round 1 special counselling need to report to their allotted college till December 4, 2021. Depending on the number of vacant seats 2 rounds of special counselling will be conducted. Check JEE Main 2021 Seat Allotment
Meanwhile, CSAB NEUT 2021 Counselling has also started for candidates of the North Eastern States and Some of Union Territories. Authorities will now release CSAB NEUT 2021 Seat Allotment for Round 2 on December 9, 2021.
- JoSAA has concluded 6 rounds of JEE Main Counselling 2021. Check JoSAA 2021 Counselling
- JEE Main Counselling process is conducted in the online mode. There are 3 counselling processes in JEE Main –
- JoSAA- JoSAA is the combined counselling for JEE Main and JEE Advanced qualified candidates.
- CSAB NEUT- CSAB NEUT is conducted for supernumerary seats in the North East and Union Territories.
- CSAB SFTI- CSAB SFTI is a separate counselling procedure conducted by Central Seat Allocation Board for 18 SFTIs.
- JoSAA has released JEE Main 2021 Cut off for rounds 1 -6 in form of opening and closing ranks on the official portal. JoSAA is responsible for allotting seats to 110 participating institutes, which comprises IITs NITs, IIITs and other-GFTIs. Check Counselling Schedule for JEE Main 2021
Step by Step JEE Main Counselling Procedure
- Candidates who qualifiy JEE Main and are not able to perform in JEE Advanced are eligible for seats in the colleges like NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs.
- JEE Main 2021 qualified candidates must register themselves online and select their preferred college and course.
- Allocation of seats will be done online, based on the applicant’s rank, category, availability of seats and other factors.
- After the seat allocation, the applicants will have to report to their allotted institute for document verification and fee payment.
Listed below are the steps involved in JEE Main Counselling and Seat Allotment Procedure:
Step 1: Online Registration
- Click on the link of JoSAA under Official Website
- Login using JEE Main 2021 Application Number, Password, and Security Pin
- Read the instructions carefully and click on “I Agree”
- Fill in the required details in the JoSAA Counselling Form
- Select the Declaration and click on Submit
- Verify all the furnished details and click on “Confirm Registration” button
Step 2: Online Choice Filling and Locking
- Select choice of colleges and programs.
- Candidates can opt for change/edit/delete their filled choices
- Lock the choices before the last date.
- Choice Locking can be done after each round of JEE Main 2020 Counselling.
Step 3: JoSAA 2021 Seat Allotment
The counselling and seat allotment authority, JoSAA will take into account the following factors before allocating the highest possible seat according to candidates’ choices:
- Candidate’s Category (Gen., OBC-NCL, SC, etc.)
- All India Rank (AIR) in JEE Main 2021 rank list(s)
- According to the priority order of choices by the candidates for academic programs and institutes
- Availability of seats under different seat categories/seat quotas for which the candidate is eligible.
Step 4: Seat Acceptance Fee Payment and Document Verification
- Pay the Seat Acceptance fee for the allotted seats through Net Banking/e-Challan.
- All the documents will be verified at the reporting center.
- After verification of the documents and payment of the fee, a provisional admission letter will be issued.
Step 5: Reporting to the Allotted College
The final step in JEE Main 2021 Counselling is reporting to the assigned institutes with original certificates and documents on the allotted date and time slot.
List of Documents Required for Verification
- JEE Main Document Verification will be conducted for all the participants' allotted seats.
- Verification will be conducted after each round. Any violation of the norms may lead to disqualification of candidature.
- Candidates have to produce all the necessary documents at the time of verification.
- Carry both original and multiple attested copies of all the required documents to the reporting center at the time of seat confirmation.
|Personal Details||Academic Qualification||Caste/ Physical Disability Certificate|
|Photo Identity Card||Class 10th mark sheet||Category (OBC-NCL / SC / ST) certificate, if applicable|
|Medical Examination Report||Class 12th mark sheet||OBC NCL declaration if required|
|Proof of Date of Birth||JEE Main Admit Card 2021||PwD certificate, if applicable|
|Proof of Seat Acceptance Fee Payment||Provisional Seat Allotment Letter||-|
|Three passport-size photographs (uploaded at the time of registration)||-||-|
JEE Main Eligibility for Admission to NITs, IITs and CFTIs
Admission to B.Tech / B. Arch / B.E. / B. Planning courses in these institutes will be based on All India Rank with the requirement that the candidate should have attained at least 75% in 12th examination or should have been in the top 20 percentile in 12th.
For SC / ST candidates the requirement is 65% in 12th.
JEE Main Eligibility for Admission to B.Arch
Requirement for architecture course includes passing an examination at the end of qualifying examination with 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and 50% marks aggregate of the qualifying examination.
For B. Planning, the candidate should have attained a minimum of 50% marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
Subject combinations mandated in the qualifying examination for entry to B.E. / B.Tech, B.Arch and B. Planning courses in IITs, NITs and other CFTIs shall be under:
|Course||Required Criteria based on Class 12th / Equivalent qualifying examination|
|B.E / B.Tech||Passed qualifying examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry / Biotechnology / Biology / Technical Vocational subject.|
|B. Arch||Passed qualifying examination with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry|
|B. Planning||Passed qualifying examination with Mathematics|
Eligibility for Admission to Other Institutions:
Above mentioned criteria could be adopted by other technical institutions that are going to participate in counselling through CSAB / JoSAA.
In the case that a state plans to admit students into engineering colleges affiliated to State Universities, the state may prepare a completely separate rank list based on guidelines set by them.
Counselling Schedule for JEE Main 2021 (JoSAA)
JEE Main Counselling is a completely centralized and online process. The schedule for JoSAA counselling 2021 is tabulated below:
|JEE Main Result||Sep 15, 2021|
|Announcement of JEE Advanced Result||-||Oct 15, 2021|
|Registration/choice under JoSAA Starts||10:00||Oct 16, 2021|
|Mock Seat Allocation-1||10:00||Oct 22, 2021|
|Mock Seat Allocation-2||17:00||Oct 24, 2021|
|Registration/choice filling Ends||17:00||Oct 25, 2021|
|Reconciliation of data, verification and validation of allocated seats||-||Oct 26, 2021|
|Seat Allocation Round 1||10:00||Oct 27, 2021|
|Online Reporting||By 17:00||Oct 27 – 30, 2021|
|Last day to respond to query (Round 1)||17:00||Oct 31, 2021|
|Seat Allocation Round 2||17:00||Nov 1, 2021|
|Online Reporting||By 17:00||Nov 2-3, 2021|
|Last day to respond to query (Round 2)||17:00||Nov 5, 2021|
|Withdrawal of seat / Exit from seat allocation process (Round 2)||By 17:00||Nov 2-5, 2021|
|Seat Allocation Round 3||17:00||Nov 6, 2021|
|Online Reporting||By 17:00||Nov 7-8, 2021|
|Last day to respond to query (Round 3)||17:00||Nov 9, 2021|
|Withdrawal of seat / Exit from seat allocation process (Round 3)||By 17:00||Nov 7-9, 2021|
|Seat Allocation Round 4||17:00||Nov 10, 2021|
|Online Reporting||By 17:00, Nov 1, 2021||Nov 11-12, 2021|
|Last day to respond to query (Round 4)||By 17:00||Nov 13, 2021|
|Withdrawal of seat / Exit from seat allocation process (Round 4)||By 17:00||Nov 11-13, 2021|
|Seat Allocation Round 5||17:00||Nov 14, 2021|
|Online Reporting||By 17:00||Nov 15 – 16, 2021|
|Last day to respond to query (Round 5)||By 17:00||Nov 17, 2021|
|Notification of the decision on seat confirmation for Round 5||By 20:00|
Withdrawal of seat / Exit from seat allocation process
Last round for seat withdrawal / Exit option (Round 5)
|By 24:00||Nov 17 – 18, 2021|
|Seat Allocation (Round 6: FINAL ROUND for IITs)||17:00||Nov 18, 2021|
Online reporting (For IITs only)
|By 17:00||Nov 19, 2021|
|Last day to respond to query (Round 6) (FINAL ROUND for IITs)||By 17:00||Nov 20, 2021|
|Admission Process||By 17:00||Nov 20 -24, 2021 (for NIT+ system)|
IITs Ask for Another Year to fill EWS Quota
- IITs collectively need to increase their student intake for undergraduate courses, masters and research programmes by about 6700 seats for accommodating the 10 per cent Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) quota.
- Out of the target of adding 6700 seats, approximately 2,300 seats (about 500 for B.Tech ) were added in 2019-20. The remaining 4,400 seats (about 1,300 for Btech) were expected to be added this year.
- IITs have sought a year’s extension to the 2021 deadline due the challenges of maintaining social distancing in the hostels once the institutions reopen.
- 23 IITs have collectively approached the Centre with the request recently.
- To ensure that existing number of seats for SC, ST, OBC and general category students does not face cuts, all centrally funded educational institutions, including IITs, NITs, IIMs, central universities, IISERs and IIITs, have to increase their overall student strength by 25 per cent, over two years, to accommodate the quota.
About CSAB NEUT and CSAB SFTI
The counselling of CSAB NEUT and CSAB SFTI is similar to that of JoSAA. Listed below is a brief about counselling for NEUT and SFTI:
CSAB NEUT Counselling
- It is conducted for filling up supernumerary seats in North East Region and Union Territories.
- The counselling would be organized by the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB).
Know more JEE Main CSAB NEUT Counselling
CSAB SFTI Counselling
- It is conducted for admitting candidates in Self Financing Technical Institutes.
- Seat allocation is strictly based on the order of preference filled by the candidates based on their JEE Main All India Rank (AIR) in Paper I and Paper II respectively.
- There are 34 participating institutes in CSAB SFTI.
Know more JEE Main CSAB SFTI Counselling
JEE Main Counselling FAQs
Ques. Can the choice be filled at the Reporting Center (RC) itself?
Ans. No, choice-filling has to be done online before the date specified. After that, there is no option of choice filling or reordering. All the rounds of seat allotment will be done on these choices. Document verification and seat acceptance will be done soon after the process of choice-filling.
Ques. What all processes take place at the Reporting Center (RC)?
Ans. A candidate who has been offered a seat (as per their choices) will have to report in person at an RC for document verification to accept the seat.
Ques. If I am not interested in the seat offered, can I still participate in seat allotment in further rounds without accepting that seat?
Ans. You must not fill-in the courses that you are not interested to pursue it. If you do not accept the seat, you will be out of the seat allotment process and hence, will not be allowed to participate in further rounds.
Ques. Will there be a separate allotment process for preparatory courses?
Ans. No, preparatory courses will be allotted along with all other courses only. All the qualified candidates seeking admission in IITs/NITs/IIITs/Other-GFTIs, must fill-in their choices during the choice filling process. Admission to IITs is based on JEE Advanced Score.
Ques. I have been offered a seat in the first round of allotment but will not be able to accept the seat at this moment. Can I accept that same seat later?
Ans. No, if you do not report in person in the respective seat acceptance period of the round, you will lose the seat and you will be out of the allotment process.
Ques. If I have paid the seat acceptance fee and wish to not take the seat by not reporting at the allocated Reporting Centre. How can I claim my refund?
Ans. You can claim your refund online. Login to JoSAA portal and file your request online, request will be processed in a few days.
Ques. When and where can I register for JEE Main 2021 Counselling?
Ans. All the eligible candidates will be able to register for the JEE Main counselling on the official website i.e. www.nta.ac.in as soon as the counselling process will start.
Ques. How is JEE Main Seat Allotment procedure conducted?
Ans. In the seat allotment process, the candidates will be allotted seats on the basis of their merit, choice filling and availability of seats. But, before the actual seat allotment, mock allotment of seats will take place.
Ques. What is mock allotment of seats in JEE Main Counselling?
Ans. Mock allotment of seats is a process that allows the candidates to know the seat allotment process so that they get familiar with the seat allotment process and are able to choose better preferences for themselves in the main rounds. They are two rounds of mock allotment of seats.
Ques. What is the process of Fee Payment & Seat Acceptance?
Ans. After the allotment of seat, candidates will have to choose any option from - Freeze, Float, Slide and withdraw and then step for the payment of fees.
Ques. What is meant by Freeze option in seat acceptance process?
Ans. If a candidate wishes to accept the seat allotted and does not want to participate in further rounds of seat allotment, he can choose the Freeze option.
Ques. What is meant by Float option in seat acceptance process?
Ans. If a candidate wants to keep the seat allotted and also wish to upgrade his seat, he can choose the Float option.
Ques. What is meant by Slide option in seat acceptance process?
Ans. If a candidate wants to accept the seat allotted and wish to upgrade the course in the same institute, he can choose the Slide option.
Ques. What is meant by withdrawing option in seat acceptance process?
Ans. If a candidate has already accepted the seat then he can choose the withdraw option and report the institute allotted before the last round of seat allotment.
Ques. Is the fee for JEE Main 2021 same for all the categories?
Ans. No, the fee is different for all the categories. The fee for General candidates is INR 45000. While, the fee for SC/ ST/ SC-PwD/ ST-PwD/ GEN-PwD/ OBC-NCL-PwD is INR 20,000.
Ques. What is the process of verification of Documents?
Ans. In this process, the candidates are called for the verification of documents for admissions. Listed below are the documents:
3 passport size photographs (the same as uploaded during registration)
Provisional JoSAA seat allotment letter
Photo identity card
Proof of seat acceptance fee payment
JEE Main 2021 Admit Card
Date of birth proof
JEE Main 2021 Score Card
Class X & XII Mark sheet
Category certificate (if applicable)
Ques. What is meant by dual reporting?
Ans. If a candidate has accepted a seat of an NIT in the previous round and his seat is upgraded to an IIT in the next round, then he will have to report at the Reporting centre of the IIT and accept the seat even if he has reported at the NIT otherwise, he will lose both the seats. As the process involves two reporting it is called dual reporting.
Ques. I am a resident of Gujarat but I have cleared my Class 12th examination from West Bengal, What will be my state code of eligibility?
Ans. The state code of eligibility of the candidate will be of West Bengal i.e. the state code of eligibility depends on the state of class 12th and not the native place.
Ques. What will happen if I do not “lock” my choices?
Ans. If you do not lock your choices, the last saved choices/preferences will be locked automatically at the conclusion of the time-window for filling-in of choices.
Ques. If I have accepted my seat at NIT but my seat is upgraded to IIT and I do not report at IIT, then will my seat at NIT be considered?
Ans. No, if you do not report at IIT, you will lose both your seats. Reporting and confirming the status of your seat is mandatory. Failing to do so will result in cancellation of admissions.
Ques. Do I need to submit the acceptance Fee again if I have been allotted IIT in the next round?
Ans. No, once you have paid the acceptance fee, you do not have to pay the fees again.
Ques. Will my seat acceptance fee be refunded if I withdraw my seat?
Ans. Yes, your seat acceptance fee will be refunded after a deduction of INR 1000 as processing fee.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.