MAT Preparation 2022 should ideally start at least 2 to 3 months before the exam. MAT Preparation 2022 involves a thorough understanding of MAT 2022 Exam Pattern & Syllabus and an analysis of the previous year’s questions and difficulty level.
- Candidates need a strategically devised plan to cover the entire syllabus for MAT Preparation 2022. Also Check MAT Question Papers
- Syllabus for MAT 2022 exam includes 5 sections carrying an equal weightage of 40 marks, viz. Mathematical Skills, Language Comprehension, Data Analysis & Interpretation, Intelligence & Critical Reasoning, and Indian & Global Environment. Check MAT 2022 Syllabus
- Candidates are often in a dilemma regarding which section to prioritize during MAT Preparation. As per past trends, MAT mathematical skills section is the toughest and requires maximum time for preparation, whereas questions asked in MAT Language Comprehension are easier and it takes minimal time to prepare as there are no complex concepts asked in this section. Check MAT Paper Analysis.
MAT General Preparation Tips
- If you find it hard to concentrate and study for long periods of time, try using the Pomodoro Method of study. Keep a timer for 25 minutes (which is one ‘Pomodoro’) and study without interruption and then take a short 5-minute break. Rinse and Repeat.
- Solve a mock test every 4 days. It is okay if you get a low score the first few times. Eventually, your performance will improve and you will get better scores.
- Consistency is the key to success, and having a fixed schedule is very important for MAT Preparation 2022.
- Start reading during your breaks; read some good novels from your preferred genres note down all new words you encounter.
- Learn to prioritize the sections that need more work.
- Get plenty of quality sleep, at least 7-8 hours daily without fail.
- Keep up some physical activity during preparation, don’t just spend all the time studying as it might exhaust you and have some physical consequences.
MAT Preparation 2022: 3 Month Study Plan
MAT Preparation Plan for the First Month
- Gather all the study materials –notes, reference books, mock papers, formula sheets.
- Try to cover at least 50% MAT Syllabus for each section.
- Make personal notes, and focus on adding bulleted points and learning shortcuts to facilitate revision in later stages.
- It is the best time to start getting Coaching and mentoring, as you can simultaneously clear doubts.
- Regular Reading of newspapers and magazines is highly recommended to ensure MAT preparation for the Indian & Global Environment section.
- At the end of every week, attempt a mock test and note down your mistakes and areas that require more work.
MAT Preparation Plan for the Second Month
- During this month, candidates should cover the remaining 50% MAT Syllabus.
- Start working on your weaker sections by solving at least 20 questions daily from those topics.
- The topics that you know well must be practiced at least twice a week. Try to solve questions of a higher difficulty level from these sections.
- This is the best time to attend sectional and full-fledged MAT mock tests to check conceptual clarity and work accordingly.
- Attempt at least 2 mock tests every week to get an idea of your MAT preparation level and the types of questions expected in MAT 2022 exam.
MAT Preparation Plan for the Last Month
- Revision of all important topics should be the focus of MAT Preparation in the final month.
- Go through personal notes and revise, recollect conceptually based subjects, and work on the mistakes.
- Practice more DI & Caselet based questions.
- Attempt MAT mock test daily.
- In the final days of preparation; one must definitely check MAT previous year papers to get a better idea about the exam and the preparation level.
Monthly Study Plan for MAT Preparation 2022
Here is a 30 day MAT preparation plan for your reference. You can modify it according to your preference and ability. Follow this timetable for one month, then modify it according to subjects or topics you find harder than the others. Learn to prioritize. You can add and remove topics based on your requirements, and in the next month plan accordingly. In the month before the exam, start solving a mock test every day and do lots of revision.
|Days||Language Comprehension||Mathematical Skills||Data Interpretation and Analysis||Critical Reasoning||Indian and Global Environment|
|Day 1||Verbal Reasoning||HCF & LCM||Pie Chart||Critical Reasoning||Company punch lines|
|Day 2||Syllogisms||Percentages||Pie Chart||Visual reasoning||Geography|
|Day 3||Vocabulary 50 words||Ratios and proportions||Graphs||Sequencing||Current Affairs|
|Day 4||Mock Test|
|Day 5||Using the same word with a different meaning||Quadratic and linear equations||Graphs||Critical Reasoning||Geography|
|Day 6||Contextual Usage||Work and Time||Bar Graphs||Visual reasoning||History|
|Day 7||Vocabulary 50 words||Work and Time||Bar Graphs||Sequencing||Current Affairs|
|Day 8||Mock Test|
|Day 9||Analogies||Geometry||Line Charts||Coding and Decoding||History|
|Day 10||One word substitution||Geometry||Line Charts||Assumption-Premise-Conclusion||Business|
|Day 11||Vocabulary 50 words||Geometric Progression||Pie Chart||Assumption-Premise-Conclusion||Current Affairs|
|Day 12||Mock Test|
|Day 13||Antonyms||Time-Speed-Distance||Column Graphs||Statements and Assumptions||Business|
|Day 14||Idioms||Profit and Loss||Column Graphs||Statements and Assumptions||Science|
|Day 15||Vocabulary 50 words||Geometric Progression||Line Charts||Identifying valid inferences||Current Affairs|
|Day 16||Mock Test|
|Day 17||Fill in the blanks||Algebra||Venn Diagram||Assertion and Reasons||Books and authors/ Awards|
|Day 18||Odd man out||Algebra||Venn Diagram||Identifying Reasons||Sports/ Politics|
|Day 19||Vocabulary 50 words||Algebra||Bar Graphs||Linear Arrangements||Current Affairs|
|Day 20||Mock Test|
|Day 21||Jumbled Paragraphs||Averages||Graphs||Linear Arrangements||Company punch lines|
|Day 22||Sentence Completion||Number System||Pie Chart||Matrix Arrangements||Sports/ Politics|
|Day 23||Vocabulary 50 words||Partnership (Accounts)||Bar Graphs||Matrix Arrangements||Current Affairs|
|Day 24||Mock Test|
|Day 25||Sentence Correction||Percentages||Column Graphs||Family tree||Books and authors/ Awards|
|Day 26||Foreign language words used in English||Vectors||Venn Diagram||Family tree||Geography|
|Day 27||Vocabulary 50 words||Work and Time||Line Charts||Cause and effect||Current Affairs|
|Day 28||Mock Test|
|Day 29||Reading Comprehension||Time-Speed-Distance||Venn Diagram||Cause and effect||History|
|Day 30||Reading Comprehension||Geometry||Bar Graphs||Critical Reasoning||Company Punch Lines|
MAT Preparation 2022: Hourly Time Table
Candidates usually face difficulty in planning a study timetable for MAT preparation as the syllabus for MAT 2022 involves 5 distinct subjects. Here is a systematic Hourly Preparation plan for MAT 2022. The following table covers important topics and includes a separate Mock test schedule, you can also include important topics as per your MAT Preparation level.
Topics To Cover
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
Verbal Reasoning, Syllogisms, Vocabulary 50 words
9:30 AM-11:30 AM
HCF & LCM, Ratios and proportions, Percentages
Pie Chart & Graphs
Indian and Global Environment
Geography, Company punch lines
2:30 PM-3:30 PM
Critical Reasoning, Sequencing
5:00 PM-6:30 PM
Quadratic and linear equations
Indian and Global Environment
Section-wise MAT Preparation 2022
Every section in MAT exam has been given equal weightage with respect to the number of questions and marks. MAT Preparation 2022 should involve section-wise preparation strategies to ace every section and clear MAT 2022 exam.
- MAT Language Comprehension Preparation should involve working on basics, improving reading skills, practicing reading comprehension.
- MAT Mathematical Skills preparation can be done by practicing daily and solidifying basics, and the same goes for the preparation for Data Analysis & Sufficiency.
- Candidates must use a good GK book for MAT Indian and Global Environment Preparation.
- The most recommended books for MAT Preparation are by renowned authors like Arun Sharma and Nishit K Sinha.
MAT Preparation Tips for Language Comprehension
Here are the things you need to keep in mind preparing for MAT Language Comprehension:
- Read the newspaper daily, without fail.
- Make reading a daily habit and read in your leisure time.
- The difficulty is not very high, keep that in mind while preparing.
- Improve vocabulary by using flashcards and installing apps that are available for free. You can also subscribe to several YouTube channels that publish great content about improving vocabulary and speaking skills.
- To crack the Language Comprehension candidates need to choose the right topic in the reading comprehension section and understand the main idea of the passage. If the candidate understands the concept of the passage, answering questions related to it becomes easy.
- Clear all the basics and learn how to do grammar properly, such as tenses, articles, prepositions, etc. Refer to the Wren and Martin Grammar Book.
|Reading Comprehension|| |
|Verbal Ability|| |
MAT Preparation Tips for Mathematical Skills
Here are the things you need to keep in mind while preparing for MAT Mathematical Skills:
- Clear your basics completely, do refer to your high school textbooks for clearing basic concepts.
- This section requires a lot of practice, so make sure you solve sums regularly without fail.
- Work on speed and accuracy.
- While solving mock tests, start with easy questions and then solve the harder questions.
- Write down all the important formulae and put in on a wall you see daily like above your study table or your wallpaper. You will passively memorize all the formulae
- Learn shortcuts and Vedic maths to solve quickly.
|Important Topics for MAT Mathematical Skills Preparation|
|Profit & Loss||Speed, Time & Distance|
|Ratio & Proportion||Percentage|
|Average||Time & Work|
|Number Systems||Permutation & Combination|
|Venn diagrams||Quadratic Equations|
MAT Preparation Tips for Data Analysis & Sufficiency
Here are the things you need to keep in mind while preparing for MAT Data Analysis & Sufficiency:
- Read questions carefully before attempting the questions.
- Do not skim through the question
- Be careful not to fill in gaps of information on your own or assume things, always use the information given in the question.
- Solve in this order - Easy>Medium>Hard
- Do not solve the complete question if you are not able to do so in the time you have left.
Graphs and Charts
MAT Preparation Tips for Intelligence and Critical Reasoning
Here are the things you need to keep in mind while preparing for MAT Intelligence and Critical Reasoning:
- Read questions carefully. Make sure you understand what kind of question it is before solving it.
- Do not make guesses or assumptions.
- Do not think too hard, and the answer is always one of the options that are given.
- This section can be difficult to attempt, however, do not panic or overthink.
- Speed and Time Management are crucial as you might get stuck on a particular question.
- Practice a lot of mock tests and other sample papers to gain some level of confidence.
|Important Topics for MAT Intelligence & Critical Reasoning Preparation|
|Direction-sense Test||Statements – Assumptions|
|Fact – Inference – Judgement||Seating Arrangement|
|Critical Reasoning||Statements – Arguments|
MAT Preparation Tips for Indian and Global Environment
Here are some things you need to keep in mind while preparing for MAT Indian and Global Environment:
- Read a newspaper daily.
- Make notes and sort them based on priority and relevance.
- Use Flash Cards while preparing for factual information.
- Watch news that has been prepared for entrance exams specifically.
- Download current affairs apps and read regularly.
- If you are not familiar with it, gain an understanding of the banking and business sector.
- Refer to magazines, newspapers, and articles related to the Indian government, international developments, business, sports.
Last Minute Preparation Tips for MAT 2022
Candidates must follow the below-mentioned preparation tips before appearing for MAT 2022 exam.
- Revise Important Formulas: Candidates must revise all the important formulas for the mathematical skills section. This is essential to avoid any last-minute confusion during the exam.
- Do Not Study New Topics: Candidates are recommended not to pick any new topics a day before the exam as it will lead to unnecessary confusion. Stick to the important topics that you have completed and are confident about.
- Work on Speed and Accuracy: It is extremely important to focus on improving speed and accuracy as 200 questions need to be attempted in 150 minutes. Try to solve a few mock tests 2-3 days before the exam to increase your speed and accuracy.
- Avoid studying on the exam day: Do not study on the day of the exam as it adds to the burden and stress. Stay calm and do not take stress about MAT exam. Have confidence in your MAT Preparation and you will definitely perform well.
- Revise General Knowledge Notes: Revising GK notes is crucial for information retention. Hence, to perform well in MAT Indian & Global Environment, it is recommended to start revising all important notes for GK and current affairs.
- Sleep well: Candidates are advised to sleep at least 7-8 hours the night before the exam. This is essential to relax your mind and increase concentration.
- Section-wise time allotment: Candidates are advised to devote a sufficient amount of time for attempting each section in MAT 2021 exam. Since there is no sectional time limit, it becomes important to avoid spending more than the required time on one section to be able to attempt the other sections.
|Section||Number of Questions||Suggested Time (in minutes)|
|Data Analysis & Sufficiency||40||35|
|Intelligence & Critical Reasoning||40||30|
|Indian & Global Environment||40||15|
Best Books for MAT Preparation 2022
The books referred to while preparing for MAT can be the deciding factor in influencing your performance. Hence, it becomes important to choose the right material while studying. Here is a list of the books for preparation of MAT 2022:
|Section||Name of Book||Publisher/Author|
|Language Comprehension||How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|Mastering the Verbal Ability for CAT COMMON ADMISSION TEST||Ajay Singh|
|CAT Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Gautam Puri|
|Mathematical Skills||Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT||Sarvesh Verma|
|Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Nishit Sinha Trishna|
|A Complete Manual for the CAT||Knowledge System|
|Vedic Mathematics: Secrets Skills for Quick, Accurate Mental Calculations||Sumita Bose|
|Data Analysis & Sufficiency||Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for MAT||Arun Sharma|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation Data Sufficiency||Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan|
|Intelligence and Critical Reasoning||How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Analytical & Logical Reasoning For CAT & Other Management Entrance Tests||Peeyush Bhardwaj|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit Sinha|
|Indian and Global Environment||The Mega Yearbook||Disha Experts|
|Face To Face MAT With 19 Years (1997-2016)||BS Sijwali|
|MAT General||Complete Guide For Mat And Other Mba Entrance Exams||Disha Experts|
|Mat Score Accelerator||Disha Experts|
|Mat Solved Papers||Disha Experts|
Check more MAT Books for Preparation
Best Online Apps for MAT Preparation 2022
Candidates these days have abundant options for MAT preparation 2022, and the most preferred study resources these days are the online MAT preparation apps. Tabulated below are the top MAT preparation apps:
|BYJU’s- The Learning app|| |
How to Choose Mode of Study: Online Coaching, Offline coaching, or Self Study
The mode of study that you choose for preparation in MAT is the first thing every candidate needs to cross out from their list. Based on the candidate's individual needs, pros and cons list can be prepared if there is difficulty in making a decision. Here are some pros and cons listed for all three modes of study:
|Online Coaching for MAT|
|No Traveling||No personal interaction|
|Cheaper||Requirement of Fast and Stable Internet connection|
|Material Provided online||-|
|You can study in the comfort of your home||-|
|Self Study for MAT|
|You can study as per your own schedule||Everyone will not have the same motivation|
|You can consider other priorities||Tendency to Slack|
|Offline Coaching for MAT|
|Individual guidance from experienced professionals||Expensive|
|Access to physical study material||Traveling can become time-consuming|
|Interaction with peers and other MAT Aspirants||-|
You can add your own pros and cons as per your requirements. This is an entirely personal choice and can be made on the basis of your preferences. Check Top MAT Coaching Institutes
MAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers
MAT Preparation Tips by Shubham Khule, Scored 99.99%ile in First Attempt
He emphasizes having conceptual clarity which will help gain speed and accuracy. He did not take any coaching and focused on attempting a maximum number of mock tests and solved the previous year's question papers to keep a track of his performance. Analyzing mock tests is necessary as per Shubham. One key thing which Shubham emphasized was choosing the paper-based test mode(PBT) over computer-based test (CBT) as in the PBT MAT exam, you can see all the questions at once, which helps in managing time in the longer run. Marking the answers on an OMR sheet is easier and faster than marking the answers using a mouse.
MAT Preparation Tips by V Varun, Secured 99.99 percentile in MAT.
He has studied computer science from VIT, Vellore, and decided to prepare for MAT exam held in 2019 by devoting 8-9 hours every day. He believes that attempting mock tests explores the loopholes in preparation and also helps in time management. Since language comprehension was his forte, he focused on mathematical skills and data analysis. He even joined T.I.M.E institute, Vellore to improve on his weak areas. ‘Practice is the key to clearing MAT exam and one must focus on maintaining consistency and efficiency during MAT exam preparation,’ said Varun.
MAT Preparation Tips by Ayush Saxena, Scored 99.93%ile in First Attempt
MAT Topper Ayush Saxena secured a 99.93 percentile in his first attempt at MAT exam. He holds a postgraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering has also worked as a deputy manager at ICICI Bank, Mumbai. He did not stick to the traditional strategy for MAT exam preparation. Apart from focusing on solving multiple sectional and full-length mock tests, he also relied on youtube channels and online study groups to learn shortcuts, formulas, and tricks to solve complex questions.
MAT Preparation Tips by Ankit Kumar, Cracked MAT exam in the final year of his five years integrated course.
He scored 99.99 percentile and topped the exam. This was his 1st attempt at the MAT exam. He opted for JBIMS or SIMSREE, Mumbai for pursuing MBA in Finance or Operation. “I decided to appear in the MAT Feb 2020 exam only after attempting the CAT exam in which I did not score well. During the 2 months period, I never looked back and focused on the regular study of a minimum of 2 hours. I focused more on the Aptitude section..” commented Ankit.
MAT 2022 Sample Papers and Mock tests
Solving MAT Sample Papers, Mock Tests, and Previous Year Question Papers is extremely important to get an idea of the type and difficulty level of the questions asked in the exam.
- Furthermore, it is helpful in getting an analysis of one’s preparation strategies and recognizing any changes required in the study plan.
- Candidates can even get to know the important topics they need to spend more time on.
- Also, one can develop better time management skills to attempt more questions in the total time of 150 minutes.
|MAT Sample Papers||PDF Links|
|MAT SAMPLE PAPER 01||Download|
|MAT Indian & Global Environment SAMPLE PAPER||Download|
|MAT SAMPLE PAPER 02||Download|
|MAT SAMPLE PAPER 03||Download|
|MAT Mathematical Skills SAMPLE PAPER||Download|
|MAT SAMPLE PAPER 04||Download|
Click here for more MAT Question Papers
MAT Preparation 2022 FAQs
Ques. How to prepare for MAT 2022?
Ans. Firstly, understand the pattern and syllabus for MAT, analyze your weak and strong points, and prepare a time schedule accordingly. Cover the syllabus and practice regularly by solving mock tests and previous year question papers.
Ques. How many hours should I dedicate to MAT 2022 Preparation?
Ans. Preparation Hours depend on the level of your conceptual clarity. If fundamentals are strong, and you are aware of the exam pattern and syllabus thoroughly then 3-4 hours daily will suffice. If you are a beginner then a little extra effort will be required.
Ques. How much time is needed to cover MAT syllabus?
Ans. MAT has 5 sections to be covered up, if you have given any management exam earlier and are acquainted with the syllabus then 3-4 months are sufficient. In case you are a beginner then 6- months are required to cover the syllabus and score well.
Ques. Is it enough to prepare from a single book for MAT 2022?
Ans. Requirements of Books and Study material vary from section to section. Some sections can be prepared with limited material. MAT syllabus is vast, hence candidates should refer to the best books in the market. Several online sources are also helpful for MAT preparation.
Ques. Can I self-prepare for MAT 2022?
Ans. Of course, there are numerous candidates who clear MAT by self-study. Start by gaining a sound knowledge of syllabus and exam pattern, gather required study material, and accordingly make a timetable. Make use of the online resources and study material to the fullest. Rely on the Mock test to constantly judge your performance and growth.
Ques. What are some time management tips for MAT?
Ans. 200 questions are to be solved in 150 minutes in MAT. It requires a lot of speed and accuracy, hence time management is a necessary skill to be developed. While preparing for the Mock test helps develop speed. During exams do not stick to one question and spare time for revision.
Ques. Is joining a coaching institute necessary for MAT 2022 preparation?
Ans. The convenience of joining a coaching center is they provide updates and relevant study material for MAT. Also, the time schedule prepared by the coaching institute is according to important topics and syllabus. Candidates just have to follow that.
Ques. Is online coaching viable for MAT 2022 preparation?
Ans. Online coaching is a suitable option for working professionals preparing for MAT 2022 exam. It saves time and is more cost-effective. There are several free online resources and websites providing study material and guidance for MAT like T.I.M.E, Career Launcher, Gradeup, BYJUs, Unacademy.
Ques. How does improving general knowledge help in MAT 2022 exam?
Ans. Indian and global environment is one of the sections in the MAT exam. Though the marks of this section are not included in preparing the final score and merit list, certain B schools undertake the score for the interview round.
Ques. Do candidates in their final year of graduation face difficulty in preparing for MAT?
Ans. That is not the case, aspirants in their final year of graduation are in touch with their studies, hence they can simultaneously prepare for the graduation exam and MAT. graduation marks should not be compromised as they are considered in the final selection to B schools.
Ques. How should I prepare for MAT mathematical skills if I'm weak in maths?
Ans. Start by preparing the basic concepts and fundamental topics. Develop a habit of practicing questions daily and learn the tricks to solve the questions. A good percentile in math can be scored if mock tests and previous year question papers are referred to regularly.
Ques. Can I take MAT 2022 exam, if my English is not that fluent?
Ans. MAT does not require fluency in English, decent command over grammar and vocabulary will help score well in MAT. This can be brushed up by reading newspapers, articles, and English news, and youtube channels.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.