NMAT 2020 includes three sections with defined time limits for each section. Out of these, NMAT Quantitative Skills is moderately difficult and has no negative marking. Quant is meant to test a candidate’s ability to solve calculation based problems in a limited time with accuracy. See NMAT Paper Analysis
- NMAT Syllabus for Quantitative skills includes four areas – Quantitative Ability; Data Analysis; Data Sufficiency and Data Interpretation.
- The difficulty level of the section is of class 12th level. Overall difficulty level of NMAT exam is moderate.
- The questions in this section are particularly designed to test the candidate’s ability to solve problems using mathematical principles to solve the problems.
In 2019, 60 minutes was the time limit for the quant section which reduced to 52 in 2020. The level of difficulty was medium. The sets however required significant calculation and was lengthy. Time allotted to solve this section remains the longest out of all 3 (52 minutes for 36 sections) despite having the same number of questions. See NMAT Exam Pattern
In this article, candidates can read the strategy one should follow to perform well in Quant. Candidate must familiarize themselves with NMAT Preparation Time Table, NMAT Preparation Books, NMAT Study Material apart from the books, NMAT Preparation Tips from toppers for Preparation of Quants in NMAT
NMAT 2020 Quantitative Exam pattern
|Section||No. of Questions||Score Range||Allotted Time|
|Language Skills||36||12-120||28 minutes|
|Quantitative Skills||36||12-120||52 minutes|
|Logical Reasoning||36||12-120||40 minutes|
NMAT 2020 Syllabus for Quantitative Ability
|Arithmetic||Number System, HCF, LCM, Ratio and Proportion, Simplification, Percentage, Average, Age Calculation, Time and Work, Distances, etc.|
|Algebra||Theory of Equations, Quadratic Equations, Permutations and Combinations, Sequence and Series etc.|
|Geometry||Angles, Lines, Triangles, and Circles etc.|
|Mensuration||Areas and Volumes of rectangles, squares, triangles, circles, cubes, cuboids, cones, spheres etc. these sub-topics also come under the heading of 2D and 3D geometry.|
|Calculus||Maxima and Minima, Function etc.|
|Trigonometry||Trigonometric Ratios, Heights, and Distances etc|
Important Topics for NMAT 2020 Quantitative Skills
|Algebra (Linear/Quadratic Equation)||Number Systems|
|Line graph, Bar graph, Pie Charts, Tables||Profit and Loss|
|2D and 3 D Geometry, and Statistics||Time, Speed, and Distance|
|Mixture & Solution||Simple/Compound interest|
|Mensuration||Permutations and Combinations|
NMAT 2020 Preparation Strategy
Here are tricks candidates can follow to prepare the quant section for the NMAT exam.
Practice as many mock tests as you can. This will give you an idea of how much you have pregressed so far. It will also will help you know how much time you should be devoting and the time required for each section. Download NMAT Practice Papers
Make sure you devote your time for preparation on the weaker sections. This will help you relax in your further studies. So, make sure to get to know your weak areas and start working on them.
Revision is the best way out to get what you already learnt. Brushing up on the basics is an important task. Revise daily what you learn the previous day.
NMAT tests you how fast and accurately you can solve the questions. Attempting questions using shortcuts will help you with the extra time that you can invest in other questions or devote it for section-revision.
One of the advantages of NMAT is that there is no negative marking. Do not stick on a question, it is advisable to skip and jump to the next question. That’s how you can manage and save time for questions you can attempt. NMAT not just checks your ability to solve hard questions but it tests your ability to solve maximum questions in the given time. Solve NMAT Mock Tests
Topic-wise Preparation tips
Arithmetic in NMAT Quants
- Arithmetic plays a crucial role in Quant preparation as it is a kick-starter.
- A major portion of Arithmetic helps in the Data Interpretation preparation.
- Once the arithmetic topics are complete the rest of the topics will be really easy to cover as arithmetic is the base.
Number Systems NMAT Quants
- Number Systems is a vast topic and contributes around 1-3 questions in the NMAT exam.
- There is a range of topics under Number Systems – Factors and Multiples, HCF and LCM etc.
- In Number System one needs to understand the basics: Factors, Multiples, etc and there are no specific solving techniques and shortcuts required.
- Algebra is also the most important topic following Arithmetic.
- Algebra is an interesting topic fully based on formulas, so it should be prepared with fun.
- Modern Maths is the favourite topic of the NMAT exam.
- A lot of questions are asked from the Modern Maths section, so it should not be ignored.
- 5-6% of the NMAT exam of the Quantitative Aptitude portion is from Modern Maths.
The topics covered in the Modern Maths syllabus for NMAT exam are as follows:
- Set Theory
- Binomial Theorem
- Permutation and Combination
- Sequence and Series
Generic NMAT 2020 Preparation Tips
Few of the tips to crack the quantitative skills section in NMAT EXAM:
- Candidates must have good command on all the concepts, fundamentals, formulas etc.
- Practice is the key to success. Best way to score good marks is to solve as many mock tests, previous year question papers as possible.
- While you are giving the mock test try to avoid using calculators as this may decrease your speed in solving questions.
- Try to use a timer and try to solve the questions of the mock in the given time. This will help in building the speed and saving your time in the examination.
- Try to learn the short cut methods to solve the tricky questions and practice them as much as you can, only then you will be able to apply these tricks in the exam.
- Make notes of all the formulae to memorize them and try to revise them daily.
- Candidates must devote time on basic concepts for every topic. First, finish with the tough topics.
- Refer to the previous papers and solve every type of question.
- Avoid using a calculator and do all calculation manually.
- Apply basic tricks ensuring speed and accuracy.
- Revise all the concepts at least twice a week.
- Solve as many questions as you can i.e PRACTICE as much as you can.
NMAT 2021 Quantitative Skills Books
|How to prepare for Quantitative for the CAT||Arun Sharma, published by MGH Education|
|Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Nishit K.Sinha, Published by Pearson|
|The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude for competitive exams||-|
|Quant study modules by TIME, CL, IMS||-|
Also See: NMAT 2021 Section Wise Recommended Books
NMAT 2021 Quantitative Ability Questions
Sample question for NMAT quant are given below:
Sample question 1:
Three friends had dinner at a restaurant. When the bill arrived, Roopa paid 2/3 as much as Shilpa paid and Silpa paid ½ as much as Deepa. What fraction of the bill did Shilpa pay?
Sample question 2:
A rectangle has width a and length b. If the width is decreased by 20% and the length is increased by 10%, what will be the new area of the rectangle?
- 0.9 ab
- 0.92 ab
- 1.1 ab
- None of the above
Sample question 3:
Two boys A and B start attending office in two different establishments. A starts on a salary of Rs. 450 and gets an annual increment of Rs. 25, and B on starts with Rs. 60 with an annual increment of Rs. 20. After how many years will A begin to draw more salary than what B will draw?
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques. NMAT is conducted in which mode?
Ans. NMAT is conducted in an online mode i.e. computer-based mode.
Ques. What skills are required to appear in NMAT computer-based test?
Ans. There are no extra computer skills needed as such. Proper instructions will be given at the beginning of the test which will help candidates to take the test.
Ques. What are sectional limitations in NMAT 2020?
Ans. Below given are the sectional limitations of NMAT:
- There is a time limit for each section of the exam.
- Candidates can choose the sections in the NMAT exam as per their choice.
- Once you start one section, you have to end that section to go to others.
- If there is any time left after completing one section, it won't be added to another section.
- Sectional cutoff also exists along with the overall cutoff.
Ques. Will there be any online screen calculator available in NMAT 2020?
Ans. No, there is no online screen calculator available.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.