NMAT Syllabus 2021 is prescribed by GMAC, the exam conducting body. NMAT exam syllabus is divided into 3 sections; Language Skills, Quantitative Skills, and Logical Reasoning. NMAT Language Skills Syllabus comprises topics like vocabulary, grammar, and RC passages. Based on the previous year’s trend, candidates can expect questions on topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and DI in NMAT Quantitative Skills section. NMAT Logical Reasoning Syllabus is the most dynamic and will include questions on both verbal and non-verbal reasoning. NMAT 2021 Question Paper will comprise 108 questions to be attempted in 2 hours. Check NMAT 2021 Exam Pattern
The official notification for NMAT 2021 has been released on August 3, 2021, and no major changes have been announced in NMAT Syllabus. Candidates must start their preparations for NMAT 2021 as per the updated NMAT Syllabus at least 3-4 months before the exam date. Check NMAT Preparation Tips
NMAT Syllabus Highlights
|Number of sections||3|
|NMAT Exam Duration||120 minutes|
|Sectional Time Limit||Yes|
|Section with the highest time limit||Quantitative Skills (52 minutes)|
|Section with the lowest time limit||Language Skills (28 minutes)|
|Total Number of Questions||108 (36 in each section)|
|Type of Questions||MCQs|
|Compared to CAT Syllabus||Same for all 3 sections|
|Minimum Preparation time||About 2 to 3 months|
The section-wise detailed syllabus of NMAT is discussed below.
NMAT Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude
NMAT Syllabus for Quantitative Skills is designed to test a candidate’s numerical skills and mathematical aptitude. The Syllabus for the QA section in NMAT exam includes the application of concepts from topics on arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and mensuration. Candidates must also note that Data Interpretation (DI) and Data Sufficiency form an important part of the syllabus for NMAT Quant section and account for about 10-12 questions in NMAT exam syllabus.
|NMAT Syllabus for Quantitative Skills|
|Arithmetic||Time & Work, Percentage, Average, Age, Speed, Ratio & Proportion, Time & Distance. Pipes & Cisterns, Mixtures, Alligation, Profit & Loss, Discount, Train, Boats & Streams|
|Algebra||Sequence & Series, Quadratic Equation, Permutation & Combination, Inequalities|
|Number System||HCF & LCM and Product of Numbers, BODMAS, Simplification, Unit’s Digit Theorem and Number of Zeros|
|Geometry||Lines: Parallel lines, Transversal, Perpendicular lines, Collinearity, Types of angles and their properties.|
|Circles: Chords, Concentric Circles, Circumscribed Circle, Inscribed Circle, Semicircle, Sector, Theorems.|
|Polygons: Quadrilaterals, Parallelogram, Square, Rectangle, Rhombus, Trapezium, Angles & Diagonals of Polygons|
|Triangles: Theorems, Right-angled Triangles, Equilateral Triangles, Median, Centroid, Congruent Triangles, Similar Triangles, Perpendicular Bisector,|
|Trigonometry||Trigonometric ratios, Identities, Theorems, Height and Distance, Applications of Trigonometry|
|Mensuration||Area and Volume of Rectangles, Squares, Triangles, Circles, Spheres, Cubes, Cuboids, Cones, Cylinders, etc., Area of shaded regions, Area under curves|
|Data Interpretation||Question sets are based on the information given in the form of charts (pie, comparison), graphs (bar, multiple, line), tables, caselets involving data analysis, extraction of information, and calculation.|
|Data Sufficiency||Questions followed by 2-3 statements are given based on any of the application-based arithmetic topics and you are required to tell whether one, two, or all the statements are sufficient to answer the given question.|
Important Topics of NMAT Quantitative Skills Syllabus
Although it is always better to complete the entire syllabus, however as NMAT Syllabus for Quant is very vast, there are chances that candidates may go for selective study. So, in that case, candidates must not skip the below-mentioned important topics for Quantitative Skills preparation.
|Important Topics in NMAT Quantitative Skills|
|Number System||Pipes and Cisterns|
|LCM and HCF||Time, Speed, and Distance|
|Surds and Indices||Algebra|
|Problems on Numbers Ages||Geometry (2D and 3D geometry)|
|Percentage||Trigonometry, Height, and Distance|
|Profit, Loss, and Discount||Data Interpretation|
|Simple and compound interest||Statistics|
|Time and work||Probability|
The syllabus of the quantitative aptitude section is broad but it is a scoring section. Students can score the highest marks in this section with good strategy and practice.
NMAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning
NMAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning(LR) section has been set to test the candidate's general intelligence quotient, logic, and decision-making ability. This section of NMAT exam syllabus is considered very scoring and hence candidates must prepare thoroughly for this part based on the latest NMAT exam pattern and syllabus.
- 36 questions of moderate difficulty level will be asked in this NMAT section.
- The time allotted has been increased from 38 to 40 minutes.
- There is no provision of negative marking for wrong responses.
- Based on last year’s analysis, it can be observed that an equal number of questions are asked from Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning parts of NMAT Syllabus. However, there is no definite pattern of the types of questions, hence candidates should prepare equally well for both the verbal and non-verbal reasoning syllabus.
- Candidates must focus only on the information given in the questions and do not use any other facts of GK or assume any other information as it will lead to false answers. This section focuses on the derivation of inferences and conclusions solely based on the facts and statements given in the questions and it does not matter if it is true or not in real life.
The topics included in the syllabus of NMAT by GMAC logical reasoning(LR) are tabulated below for your reference.
|NMAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning|
|Statements and arguments||Puzzle|
|Coding-Decoding||Statements and arguments|
|Number series||Counting of figures|
|Blood relation||Mirror images and water images|
|Distance and direction||Paper folding and cutting|
|Venn diagram||Figure completion|
|Sequential Output||Embedded figures|
|Clock||Cube and dice|
Candidates can score full marks in this section by proper understanding and practice. Check NMAT Logical Skills Preparation Tips
Important Topics in NMAT Logical Reasoning
Given below are the most important topics for NMAT logical reasoning based on the analysis of previous year papers:
|Topic||Expected Number of Questions|
|Statement, Assumption, and Conclusion||2-3|
|Course of Action||4-5|
NMAT Syllabus for Language Skills
Language Skills section of NMAT 2021 exam is included to check the candidate’s proficiency and understanding of the English language and its grammatical usages. Candidates must prepare for this part of NMAT section as per the updated syllabus and paper pattern for NMAT 2021 exam.
- 36 questions of moderate difficulty level are asked from this section.
- The time allotted for this section has been increased from 22 minutes to 28 minutes.
- No provision of negative marking for the incorrect answers.
- Questions in NMAT Syllabus for Verbal Ability will be based on antonyms, synonyms, error detection, grammar usage, para jumbles, fill in the blanks, etc.
- 3-4 RC passages having 3-4 questions each can be expected in NMAT 2021 exam. The questions in the reading comprehensions will be based on inference drawn, tone of the passage, viewpoints, facts, and figures mentioned in the passage.
The syllabus for NMAT Language Skills is tabulated below:
|NMAT Syllabus for Language Skills|
|Reading Comprehension||Error detection|
|Synonyms and antonyms||Spellings and dictionary meanings|
|Fill in the blanks||Idioms and phrases|
|Jumbling of sentences||Writing ability|
Important Topics for NMAT Language Skills
Given below are the most important topics mostly asked in NMAT language skills based on the analysis of previous year papers:
|Topic||Expected Number of Questions|
|Reading Comprehension Passages (3-4 sets)||12 – 14|
|Fill in the Blanks (Grammar Usage & Vocabulary)||5-6|
NMAT 2021 Preparation Books
Here are some best-recommended books for NMAT preparation to perform well in the examination. By referring to these books students can increase their scores in the examination. These books can help students for effective preparation :
|NMAT Books for Quantitative Skills|
|Name of Book||Authors / Publication|
|NMAT by GMAC official guide||GMAC|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||Dr. R.S. Aggarwal|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|MBA-NMAT by GMAC Narsee Monjee||Team of Experts|
|NMAT Books for Logical Reasoning|
|Name of the Book||Author/ Publisher|
|Master Reasoning||Arihant Publication|
|A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||R S Aggarwal|
|Logical reasoning and Data interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Study notes material on NMAT by GMAC||Sourav Sir's Classes|
|NMAT Books for Language Skills|
|Name of the Book||Author/ Publisher|
|General English||S.P. Bakshi|
|General English||Lucent's Publication|
|High School English Grammar and Composition Book (Regular Edition)||D.V Prasada, Rao N|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
NMAT Exam Pattern 2021
NMAT exam comprises three sections and the exam duration is 2 hours.
- There are a total of 108 questions in NMAT test
- All questions carry 1 mark each, and the total scaled marks are 360.
- There is no negative marking applicable for wrong answers.
- No marks will be deducted for unattempted questions.
NMAT 2021 exam pattern details have been mentioned below:
|Section||Number of questions||Allotted time|
|Quantitative Aptitude||36||52 minutes|
|Logical Reasoning||36||40 minutes|
|Language skills||36||28 minutes|
|Total||108||120 minutes (2 hours)|
Preparation Strategy to Cover NMAT Syllabus
Aspirants can crack NMAT by GMAC exam easily if they follow a proper NMAT preparation strategy and a good plan. The important factors to consider for effective preparation are as follows :
- Practice - Students need to practice more questions of all three sections to make their scores good. Firstly, candidates need to begin by analyzing the syllabus for all NMAT sections and then plan accordingly to complete the whole syllabus in time.
- Maintain speed and accuracy - Speed and accuracy are the two most important factors for students to increase their scores. Speed and accuracy can only be increased by practice and hence students should solve questions by observing time to maintain speed. Candidates can solve NMAT previous year's question papers in the allotted time to check their speed and accuracy and learn how to maintain a balance between the two.
- Revision - Revision is important to score good marks in any exam. Students should do an effective revision of all the sections through short notes and NMAT books. By using handwritten notes, students can revise the whole NMAT syllabus in minimum time. So, the students should make notes of all subjects to cover all the important topics in minimum time.
- Take mock tests - Mock tests help students recognizing strengths and weaknesses. Students can either attempt the online mock test provided by GMAC or any other available on many online sites. By analyzing their scores in mock tests, students can get an idea about which sections need more effort from them.
- Time management - Time management is the key to success during preparation. Students should follow a healthy schedule as per their convenience and giving proper/ equal time to all the sections of NMAT Syllabus is necessary. Students also need to devote some time to practicing their hobbies to prepare for exams stress-free. They should take a short break of 30 minutes between continuous study.
Also Check: Top NMAT by GMAC Coaching Centers
NMAT Sample Papers
Referring to the NMAT by GMAC 2021 Sample Papers and Previous Year Question Papers is the best preparation tool for KMAT 2021 exam.
- Sample papers help in revising NMAT syllabus and one can cover around 30% of the syllabus by practicing just the sample papers and mock tests. Further, candidates must also give equal importance to the last year’s NMAT question papers to improve their speed and accuracy in NMAT exam preparation.
- Solving sample papers helps in getting an idea of the most important topics of NMAT Syllabus. Also, candidates can work on their weaker points and get a broader understanding of different kinds of questions asked in NMAT exam.
- Mock exams assist in preparing for the real exam as they are prepared based on the actual NMAT pattern and offer a clear structure and content of NMAT by GMAC 2021 exam.
NMAT Syllabus 2021 FAQs
Ques. Who releases NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. The Graduate Management Admission Council releases NMAT Syllabus 2021 every year on its official website. The authorities have revised the syllabus for NMAT due to the change in exam structure. The students are advised to follow the updated syllabus and then commence their preparation for the exam.
Ques. Which coaching institutes are the best for completing NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. NMAT is a national-level entrance test conducted for MBA admissions at NMIMS and other reputed business schools. Given below is the list of coaching institutes in Delhi that would be beneficial in completing NMAT Syllabus 2021.
- Rocket Tutor, Okhla
- Teachwell Pvt Ltd, Rohini
- TutorComp, Okhla
Ques. Is NMAT Syllabus 2021 the same as the syllabus of any other MBA exam?
Ans. NMAT Syllabus 2021 is similar to the syllabus of any other MBA entrance exam. However, certain differences might be apparent. The students are required to check out the syllabus for each entrance exam before appearing for the exam.
Ques. Which topic of NMAT Syllabus 2021 is the toughest?
Ans. Quantitative skills is considered to be the toughest section of NMAT Syllabus 2021. It is quite lengthy and time-consuming. The students need to practice a lot of sample papers from this section to ace it.
Ques. How much time is needed to complete NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. It is advisable to complete every topic mentioned in NMAT Syllabus 2021. This would take approximately six months. However, the time is not ideal. The students need to go through the syllabus and devise a timetable accordingly.
Ques. How frequently does NMAT Syllabus change?
Ans. NMAT Syllabus does not change frequently. However, due to the recent change in the exam pattern of NMAT, NMAT Syllabus 2021 has been revised by the authorities. The students need to go through the updated syllabus before starting the preparation for the exam.
Ques. Which topics to study thoroughly in NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. The students are required to study every topic mentioned in NMAT Syllabus 2021. However, some topics carry greater weightage than others. The students need to read the above article to gather information about the same and hence, prepare accordingly.
Ques. Which books should I refer to for acing Logical Reasoning of NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. Given below are the recommended books for acing Logical Reasoning of NMAT Syllabus 2021.
Name of the Book
Name of the Author/Publisher
A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning
R S Aggarwal
Logical reasoning and Data interpretation for the CAT
Nishit K. Sinha
Study notes material on NMAT by GMAC
Sourav Sir's Classes
Ques. What is the distribution of questions in the Logical Reasoning section of NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. A total of 36 questions are asked from the individual section of NMAT including the Logical Reasoning section. Hence, making a total of 108 questions. The students need to complete these questions within 120 minutes.
Ques. How to download NMAT Syllabus 2021?
Ans. The authorities release NMAT Syllabus 2021 on the official website. The candidates need to visit the same and locate the print option in the top right corner of the screen. On clicking the button, the syllabus will be downloaded on the setup.
Ques. What is the marking scheme for NMAT test?
Ans. NMAT test comprises a total of 108 questions having 3 marks each. The total marks in the NMAT test are 360. There are no negative marks for wrong answers.
Ques. What is the syllabus for NMAT 2021?
Ans. NMAT test includes three sections viz. quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning, and English language skills.
Ques. Is NMAT exam as tough as CAT?
Ans. No, CAT is a tough exam as compared to NMAT but candidates can crack it easily with good preparation strategy and hard work.
Ques. What are the best resources for NMAT test preparation?
Ans. There are various sources of preparation of NMAT teat effectively. Students can refer to NMAT by GMAC official guide, Quantitative Aptitude, Quantitative Aptitude for CAT, Master Reasoning, Logical reasoning and Data Interpretation, and Study notes material on NMAT by GMAC for better preparation and they should follow e- learning platforms also.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.