Free University of Berlin was founded in 1948 and has strived towards excellence ever since. The university offers admissions to over 178 degree programs across 11 departments. An impressive amount of international participation is reflected through this renowned top German university, with 13% bachelor’s and 27% master’s seats occupied by foreign students.
University entrance qualification is an integral part of the application process at Free University of Berlin. Foreign applicants need to have a qualification equivalent to the Abitur or European Matriculation Exam in order to be able to draft an application. More than 600 international scientists and scholars contribute to the university’s research legacy.
Some of the salient points to be taken a note of when applying for Free University of Berlin are as follows:
- Applicants who have a foreign university entrance qualification have to apply via uni-assist, which takes about four to six weeks to process the application.
- The university follows a semester system and has winter and summer intake seasons.
- The application deadline for bachelor’s programs with NC is July 1 to August 20 and for master’s programs is June 30 for the upcoming winter semester.
- Proof of language proficiency (English/German), letters of recommendations and resume plays a vital role as a part of application.
- Scholarships are available to both resident and non-resident students. Students must keep track of their application status.
- International students must ensure timely completion of their Schengen Student Visa process.
COVID-19 Admission Update
The university has adopted the digital method of teaching with regard to the current coronavirus pandemic. Additionally, language certificates are also not getting certified at the university during the admission and enrollment process. A help desk is also available for students at email@example.com in case of any discrepancy.
|Application Portal||Online application Or
FU Berlin portal Or
University Start portal
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||10 EUR|
|Payment method||Online transfer via Visa, Discover or Mastercard|
|Intake seasons||Summer and Winter|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans and grants|
|Resume||For some programs|
|English proficiency test||IELTS, TOEFL, or Cambridge test|
|German Proficiency proof||Required for some programs (TestDaF, DSH)|
(030) 838 - 70000
The institute provides a range of courses for international students at undergraduate and graduate level. The university sets a deadline for students to draft an application well within the time frame. The deadlines for summer semester are as follows-
|Level of Education||Deadline|
|Undergraduate courses||January 15|
|Graduate courses||First business day in December till January 15|
The application deadlines for winter 2020-21 semester in the light of covid-19 are as follows-
|Bachelors course with NC||July 1-August 20|
|Bachelors course without NC||July 1-September 7|
|Masters course with NC||June 30|
|Masters course without NC||August 15|
|Law courses||July 1-August 20|
|Veterinary and Pharmacy courses||July 1-July 31|
International Student Admissions
Free University of Berlin offers 178 degree programs on bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral level for international and domestic applicants. These programs are spread across arts, science, humanities and natural science disciplines. International applicants have to produce German or English language proficiency proof along with other documents in order to be applicable for admission at FU Berlin. Only complete applications from international applicants are forwarded by uni-assist portal to the Free University of Berlin.
Application Fee: 10 EUR
Biasc Admission Requirements: Following are the documents that international applicants have to submit along with their application form as supporting documents to complete an application-
- All school and university certificates.
- Final certificate of first degree completion with grades.
- Official translation of certificates if they aren’t in English or German.
- German language proficiency proof.
- English language proficiency proof.
- Statement of purpose explaining professional or scientific reasons for taking up the course.
- Written explanation of the second study request (for second degree applicants).
- Resume (if the course suggests)
- Letters of recommendation.
- Financial guarantee proof.
- Original certificate from academic test centre (APS) for applicants from China and Vietnam.
How to apply?
Application Process: Free University of Berlin international applicants have to follow a definite process to submit their application for the admission committee evaluation-
- Using the university course finder, trace the course that you want to apply for and check the entry requirements.
- Register on the uni-assist portal at https://ww2.uni-assist.de/online/Frontend/Login/index?lang=de
- Log in to the portal to fill the application form online. The application form features blanks for academic and personal details.
- Upload the supporting documents on the portal or mail them at-
Free University of Berlin
c / o uni-assist eV
- Pay the application fee online and submit the application.
*Note: Uni-assist portal takes about four to six weeks to process the application. Hence, applicants must submit the application in time.
English Proficiency Test Scores
|Test||Minimum Required Score|
|Level||B1 GER||B2 GER|
|Cambridge exams||PET, FCE, CAE, CPE|
Visa Process for International Students
International students must follow the below-stated process for obtaining German student visa to study at Free University of Berlin-
- Submit a visa application in the country where you study. Application visa for ‘residence visa’ must be drafted as ‘student visa’ is applicable only for three months. Download the application form at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/blob/266818/f9342033f2933dc05da54151efe283db/aufenthalten-data.pdf
- A list of requirements is sent after getting an appointment at the nearest German mission. The general requirements include a university acceptance letter, supporting documents from school, international health insurance and proof of financial guarantee.
- German language proficiency proof may also be asked for at the German embassy.
*Note: Financial resources must demonstrate at least 720 EUR/month.
Free University of Berlin Undergraduate Admissions
Free University of Berlin offers a mono bachelor or combined bachelor’s degree at an undergraduate level. The courses range from law, medicine, teaching, Literature, Economics, Science, etc. Applicants have to apply through different portals for undergraduate programs depending upon the course that they are opting for.
Where to Apply: Online application portal
Application Fee: 10 EUR
Admission Requirements: Following documents are mandatory for undergraduate application-
- Official certified copy of university entrance qualification.
- Official certified copy of evidence relating to special requests.
- Official certified proof of service.
- Statement of purpose.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Resume (if the course requires).
Free University of Berlin Graduate Admissions
Free University of Berlin offers numerous courses for graduate applicants. Some courses are exclusive to the university, while some others are in partnership with other prestigious institutions. Out of the plethora of graduate degrees available at the institution, some important ones are as follows-
|Requirements||M.Sc. in Data Science||M.Sc. in IT||M.Sc. in Chemistry||M.Sc. in Finance, Accounting and Taxation||M.Sc. in Management and Marketing|
|Application Fee||10 EUR||10 EUR||10 EUR||10 EUR||10 EUR|
|Study semester||Winter||Winter and Summer||Winter and Summer||Winter||Winter|
|Language proficiency requirement||Level B2 GER||German proficiency (DSH, TestDaF)||DSH 2 or B2 GER scores||Level B2 GER||Level B2 GER|
|Course requirement||Undergraduate degree in mathematics, computer science, physics, bioinformatics, psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience or sociology||Undergraduate degree in computer science or other equivalent with computer science as a subject||Bachelor’s degree in Bachelor's degree in chemistry or other equivalent with chemistry as a subject||Undergraduate degree in Economics or Law||Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration|
|Letters of Recommendation||Required (2)||Required (2)||Required (2)||Required (2)||Required (2)|
*Note: Professional master degrees require work experience.
Free University of Berlin admits a decent number of international applicants seeking to study in Germany to all its programs. International applicants have to draft admission applications via uni-assist. The application must be submitted before the deadline. For Bachelor’s programs without NC, the winter semester deadline is July 1-September 7 and for master’s programs without NC, the deadline is August 15.
Uni-assist after evaluating all the documents and application forwards it to the university, only if it’s complete within 4-6 weeks. If an applicant is accepted, he has to apply for a ‘residence visa’ at the nearest German embassy with the purpose being that of ‘study’. During the visa interview, all the important documents from acceptance letter, transcripts, health insurance to financial guarantee proof must be produced.
Ques. Does M.Sc. in Management and Marketing at Free University of Berlin an admission restricted course?
Ans. Yes, M.Sc. in Management and Marketing at Free University of Berlin is a restricted program
Ques. How much finances must be demonstrated in the financial guarantee proof at Free University of Berlin?
Ans. Financial guarantee proof at Free University of Berlin must demonstrate no less than 720 EUR/month.
Ques. What’s the degree one needs to have in order to apply for M.Sc. in Data Science at Free University of Berlin?
Ans. An undergraduate degree in mathematics, computer science, physics, bioinformatics, psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience or sociology is required for the applicant to apply for M.Sc Data Science at Free University of Berlin.
Most Popular Tags
1 Reviews Found
My father's friend is working here at this university as a professor. When he came to know about my interest in computer science and that I have completed my bachelor's in it and I want to opt for my masters further. He suggested me to apply to this university as the faculty of computer science was very efficient there. I applied to the university online by paying an application fee of € 75.