Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn or the University of Bonn is a public research university founded in 1818 that offers programs at undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels and has developed research methods that have received international appraisals. For admission to the University of Bonn, students must possess an adequate level of English and German language proficiency since programs are offered in both mediums. The University also incorporates more than 38,000 students including 5,000 international students. Being a public university in Germany, the institution does not charge any tuition fee. Students are only required to contribute a social fee.
Due to the university's teaching and research influence, it is ranked eighth in the rankings of universities in Germany and the best-ranked in North Rhine-Westphalia. It is observed that in the rankings of the 200 Best European universities, Bonn took the 39th spot alongside Aachen in the 48th spot, and these two are the only German universities to make it to the top 200. More so, Times Higher Education also ranks the university to be among the best 20% globally in the areas of teaching, research, and citations.
University of Bonn Rankings
The University of Bonn is a prestigious university in Germany. It has been ranked as follows:
- 114th in 2021 by Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- 240th by QS Global World Ranking in 2021.
- 108th by U.S. News and World Report in the ranking of Best Global Universities 2021.
|Institution Type||Public Research|
|Location||Bonn, North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Mode of Program||On-campus/ Online|
|Number of International Students||5,000|
|Percentage of international students||13.7%|
University of Bonn Campus
- University of Bonn operates with five main campuses and 349 buildings located all over the city of Bonn namely:
- Campus City
- Campus Endenich
- Campus Klein-Altendorf (Faculty of Agriculture)
- Campus Poppelsdorf
- Bonn-Venusberg (University Hospital)
- The University campus features several buildings such as the University Hospital Bonn, University and State Library, Faculty Libraries, Museums and Collections, and the University Computer center.
- The AStA Sports Office organizes and delivers a variety of athletic courses and activities for students to participate in each semester.
- There is a student union called Allgemeiner StudentInnenausschuss (AStA) and its international wing known as Ausländersprecherrat (ASR) that offer help and advice to international students at the University of Bonn.
- Sports opportunities open to students at the university include American Football, Basketball, swimming, university sports, etc.
- There are 56 student clubs and organizations in different facets such as sports, religions, and social interests to encourage student participation on campus.
University of Bonn Residence
- Accommodation at the University of Bonn is managed by Studienwerk Bonn. There are 33 residential units (28 residential halls) with up to 3,620 places open to international and domestic students.
- These accommodations include single rooms in shared flats, apartments, double apartments, and two to four room apartments for student parents.
- On average, campus accommodation may cost 3996 EUR-4,200 EUR for one academic year.
- Basic amenities in most of these accommodations include Wi-Fi, cable TV, bicycle storage, parking spaces, kitchens, and bathrooms.
- Room features available in these accommodations include a bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk, chair, under-bed storage, and bookshelves.
University of Bonn Courses
- Offered at the University of Bonn are 112 undergraduate programs and 100 graduate programs open to domestic and international students.
- Over 200 programs are offered through seven faculties or schools.
- There are programs such as the special German language courses as well as the Junior Year Program and the Exchange Program where students can study for a semester or a year at Bonn with a choice of over a hundred disciplines.
- The University also offers a special theology program for students interested in Christian theological studies.
- All programs at the university are taught in English. However, some programs require proof of German language proficiency for admission.
University of Bonn Application Process
The University of Bonn invites applications for the Summer and Winter semesters. Postgraduate programs may have varying application deadlines. Therefore, it is recommended to check application deadlines before applying.
How to Apply?
Students must take note of the requirements stated below for admission to the University of Bonn:
Application Fee: N/A
Application Deadline: Winter - May 1; Summer - November 1
Admission Requirements: International applicants must fulfill the following requirements for admission:
- Secondary School-Leaving Certificate with the transcript of records
- University Entrance Qualification
- German language proficiency
- CV or Resume
- Copy of passport
- Record of successful studies or transcripts copies
- Certificate of the passed Feststellungsprüfung if available
Language Proficiency Requirements
- All undergraduate programs require German language proficiency at level C1 GER.
- Graduate programs have their specific German language requirements.
- For programs taught in English, the minimum requirement is B2, however, some programs may have their own TOEFL/IELTS minimum requirements.
University of Bonn Cost of Attendance
- The University of Bonn does not charge any tuition fee from students which makes it an affordable institution to study in Germany.
- On average, a student requires 864 EUR every month on account of living expenses.
- A summary of other estimates to be incurred by students for studying at the University of Bonn is as follows:
|Budget Item||Amount (EUR)|
|Cost of housing, utilities, board, and meals||7,200-9,600|
|Books and Supplies||288|
|Entertainment and personal expenses||780|
University of Bonn Scholarships
- International students can work in Germany if the conditions in their visa or residence permits allows it.
- DAAD offers a variety of grants and scholarships in Germany and at the University of Bonn to international students.
- Financial aid available to international students include student jobs. Students are allowed to work for 120 full days or 240 half days in a year. Payment depends on the minimum wage rate which is 8.84 EUR per hour.
University of Bonn Alumni Network
University of Bonn alumni are entitled to various benefits and services that include:
- Access to the alumni network and exclusive events
- Unique alumni cards with special offers from alumni card partners like coppeneur, Bronk Rock, La Tienda Latina, Dorint, etc
- Being updated with alumni newsletters with features like the online edition of forsch and emails
- Opportunity to keep on using the university email address as a forwarding address
Notable alumni of the university include:
- Karl Marx - Philosopher
- Armin Laschet - Member of the Bundesrat of Germany
- Andrea Nahles - Former Member of the German Bundestag
- Guido Westerwelle - Former Foreign Minister of Germany
University of Bonn Placements
More than two-thirds of students at the University of Bonn are employed after graduation, and this is facilitated through the Job Fair platform of the university that connects full-time and part-time employers with students.
According to Emolument, the average salary of graduates of the University of Bonn working in the financial sector is 106,960 EUR per annum. Masters graduates of the University earn 111,996 EUR yearly on average. Graduates from the University of Bonn working in the IT and Software Development sector earn 49,678 EUR each year on average.
The University of Bonn is counted among the top research-intensive universities in Germany and the world. The university is best known for offering a unique range of programs in the subject areas of Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy, Economics, Biosciences, and Philosophy. Bonn provides students with the opportunity to explore between over 90 degree programs and pursue a career of their choice, making it one of the popular university for students intending to study in Germany.
Find A Program
University of Bonn Reviews
Most Popular Tags
2 Reviews Found
It was my dream since school days to pursue my higher studies from abroad. The USA was a bit expensive for me so I decided to opt for Germany. I applied to different universities there and my application got selected in 2 universities out of which I decided for the University of Bonn. I applied to the university via their official course page.
No tuition fee was charged by the University. I only have to pay a semester fee of € 240 per semester. I feel lucky that no tuition fee is charged here as most of the other universities.
I choose to study at the University of Bonn as it is an internationally recognized research university. When I was searching for the university I found it excellent in terms of collaborations with the renowned universities and research institutes from around the world. I applied to the university with the help of an application that was available on the university's website.
Approximately 120 Euros is the fee for my whole course.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary