Established in 1457, the University of Freiburg is one of the oldest comprehensive universities in Germany. Situated in the heart of the city of Freiburg, this public university offers undergraduate and graduate level education to more than 24,000 inquisitive students. Times Higher Education has ranked the university #5 among German Universities and #76 among Best Global Universities.
|Type Of University||Public|
|Mode of Application||Online/Print|
|Housing Capacity||4,000 students|
|Contact Admissions (international students)||+49 761-203-4246/ firstname.lastname@example.org|
|German Language Proficiency||Required|
|UG Tuition Fee||Required only for non-EU country residents.|
|No. of International Students||17.7% | 4,400 (approx.)|
Programs, Campus, and Residence
- The university offers 284 areas of study. 11 academic faculties provide around 180 undergraduate and graduate research programs for students to choose from. Some of the most popular disciplines at University of Freiburg are: Medicine, Business, Philosophy, Engineering, Nursing, Biotechnology, and Psychology.
- The university consists of 3 large campuses in Freiburg. Students may avail campus housing in apartments and 13 dormitories spread across the city. University-owned housing is limited and hard to acquire. Homestays and dormitories (provided by religious institutes) are some other cheap accommodation prospects.
University of Freiburg Admission Process
Applying to the University of Freiburg is easy. Just visit the university’s official website and complete the online admission application.
- School Leaving Certificate/ Equivalent of a German High School Diploma (Arbitur)
- Academic Records
- German Language Proficiency* (one of the following) – DSH (level 3/4), TestDaF (TDN 4 or 5), Goethe Certificate C1, or 2nd Language Certificate from the Conference of the Ministry of Education.
- Standardized Test**- TestAS (Test for Academic Students)
- UG Application Deadlines- July 15 (winter), January 15 (Summer)
- Additional Requirements: Proof of financial resources, Proof of health insurance
At the University of Freiburg, entrance tests are conducted to determine selection into some programs. Candidates are advised to check well in advance the requirements of admission into their desired program.
*Foreign candidates must fulfil German Language Proficiency requirements. Students incapable of doing so are required to complete a language course at level C1of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language by the time of applying for admission.
There are 22 exclusively English-language study subjects which do not require students to meet German language proficiency requirements. Some of these programs are: M.Sc. Applied Physics, M.A. British & North-American Cultural Studies, M.Sc. Economics, and M.A. English Language & Linguistics.
**Standardized test is recommended but not necessary. TestAS is considered by University of Freiburg for granting admission to candidates from non EU countries. All international students are recommended to take the TestAS for better prospects of getting into the university.
University of Freiburg Costs and Financial Aid
|Expense||Amount in Euros (per year)|
|Semester Fee||€155 x 2= €310|
|Room and Board (university-owned)||€2,400|
Graduate Tuition: €1,300 per annum
Cost of Living in Freiburg: €750 per month
The table above shows estimated cost of attendance for undergraduates from non EU (European Union) countries living on university-owned housing facilities.
The following Scholarships and financial aid options are provided by University of Freiburg:
- Deutschlandstipendium/ German Scholarship Program: This merit-based scholarship amounting to €300 is available to all domestic and international students.
- DAAD Scholarship: This is available to all eligible foreign exchange students. The objective of this scholarship is to enhance international academic relations.
- International Students are also eligible for need-based financial aid if any unforeseen emergency situations arise.
The university boasts a world-class alumni. It has been home to some of the most renowned thinkers and scholars the world has seen. Martin Heidegger, Walter Benjamin, Edith Stein, and George de Hevesy are some of renowned figures which have been a part of the University of Freiburg.
|M.S Computer Science|
winter (31st May 2020)
summer (15th Dec 2019)
|M.Sc Renewable Energy Engineering and Management|
winter (15th May 2020)
|B.Sc Computer Science|
winter (11th Oct 2020)
|Bachelor Computer Science (Major)|
winter (11th Oct 2020)
Find A Program
Nearest Ranked Colleges
University of Freiburg Reviews
Most Popular Tags
2 Reviews Found
I was searching for top-ranked universities in Germany and applied to 6 of them. The reason behind opting for a college in Germany was that my relatives want me to visit them. Luckily my application got selected in 4 universities I applied for and I opted for the University of Freiburg among them as it was nearest to my residence there. The application was submitted online with a zero amount.
The charges for my university are a bit more than that of other average universities. But I think it is worth it as the university is one of the top-ranked universities. I pay € 3000 as the tuition fee and € 310 as the semester fee every year.
The student life in Freiburg is absolutely amazing, there’s something for everyone, from organized ski trips to the Alps to chess tournaments on campus. For me, student life is so much more than just studying and spending time in the student bar. I see it as an opportunity and a privilege to find new friends and build a network for the future.
I pay euros 1300 for my whole course.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary