Karlsruhe Institute of Technology located in Karlsruhe, Germany is a public research University serving the aspirants since 1825. It is one of the largest universities of Science in Europe with an enrollment of 25,000+ students. Around 5,300 international students are also a part of the student body.
It is one of the eleven “Universities of Excellence” in Germany. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the fields of Engineering and Economics, Mathematics, Humanities, Natural Science and Informatics with a modern approach. Only selective international programs are available in English language whereas maximum programs are offered in Germany. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is one of the most coveted institutes in Germany. It ranks in the top 150 universities worldwide in the QS Top Universities.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Rankings
Karlsruhe ranks amongst the top universities in Germany. The latest rankings of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology are given below:
- QS Top Universities 2021 World University Ranking: #131
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021: #201-250
- US News and World Report 2021 Best Global Universities: #197
- US News and World Report 2021 Best Global Universities in Europe: #83
- US News and World Report 2021 Best Global Universities in Germany: #14
|Year of Establishment||2009|
|Endowment(2018)||Over 881 million Euros|
|Student Acceptance rate||20% - 30%|
|Enrollment||22, 111 Students|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|International Student Percentage||20%|
|Estimated Cost for International Students||Euros 12,908|
|Contact International Office||+49 721 608-44911 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Campus
- The university has several campuses in Karlsruhe which is the second-largest city of Baden-Württemberg. KIT’s main campus is spread over 150 acres of land with a park and a forest close to it.
- The excellent research infrastructure extends from state-of-the-art laboratory equipment to the world’s only large-scale research facility of its kind.
- The north campus is located in the city’s administrative district, whereas its south campus is located in the city center.
- It has a vibrant Campus Life with Cultural Centers, Theatres, Gym, Music Club, and Sports Center.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Residence
- There is a range of housing options at Karlsruhe for students with the most popular choices being dormitories and shared flats.
- Dormitories are a more affordable option than shared flats.
- Both the accommodation options provide a personal room with shared kitchen and bathroom.
- The details of both types of accommodation are given below:
- Dormitories - Studierendenwerk is a highly recommended source to apply for dorms. On the other hand, Hans-Dickmann-Kolleg is the largest provider of dorm rooms in Germany. Some other self-governed or privately run dormitories are given below:
- Kolleg am Ring
- Augustine Bea Haus
- Domus 7
- Shared Flats
- Students can also rent a room in flats on a sharing basis. There are many shared flats available for the students to accommodate.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Courses
- Karlsruhe University offers 107 degree programs in high demand fields.
- Bachelor's, master’s as well as doctoral degrees are provided in Engineering and Economics, Mathematics, Humanities, Natural Science and Informatics, etc.
- There are 11 departments at the university such as Architecture, Civil Engineering, Informatics, Chemistry and Biosciences, Humanities and Social Sciences, etc.
- The university offers 18 English-taught degree programs while there are 2 degrees with selected study variants taught in English.
- The Hector School, Karlsruhe School of Optics and Photonics, Graduate School for Climate and Energy, BioInterfaces International Graduate School are international schools offering master’s degrees in English language.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Application Process
After completing the application, candidates need to print it out and send it along with required documents to the university’s international office.
Application Calendar: Semester Based
In-take Season: Summer, Winter.
- Completed Application
- Official Transcripts
- High School Equivalent/University Qualifications for UG admissions
- Bachelor’s Degree for graduate admissions
- Accompanied by English/German translations if required
- Letters of Recommendations: 2 LORs (Graduate)
- Essay/Statement of Purpose
- Minimum GPA required: 3.0
- Interview (Graduate)
- ResumeDeclaration and Verification of Finances
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Admission Deadlines
The application deadlines for admission to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology are given below:
|Program type||Deadline (winter semester)||Deadline (Summer Semester)|
|Bachelor’s degree||July 15 (July 31 for 2021/22)||January 15|
|German Language course for DSH||July 15||January 15|
|Master with restricted admission||July 15||January 15|
|Master without restricted admission||September 20||March 31|
|Master Optics and Photonics||April 30||-|
|Master Water Science and Engineering||June 15||December 15|
Language Proficiency Requirements
An applicant for any course (especially courses taught in german) must have at least mid-level knowledge of German. The following Test Scores are required to be submitted before the application deadline:
- DSH2 (or one of the recognized equivalents)
- Test DaF 4444 (minimum 4x4)
- DSD 2 of German schools abroad
- German Language Test as part of Feststellungsprüfung(assessment test at preparatory college)
- Goethe Certificate C2
- Telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance for international students at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is given below:
|Expense||Amount (in EUR)|
|Tuition fee for international students||1,500|
|Tuition fees for second-degree students||650|
|Tuition fees for postgraduate programs||1,500|
|Administrative contribution for student services||77.70|
|Contribution for General Students Committee||3.50|
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Financial Aid
- From grants, scholarships, loans to on-campus jobs, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Financial Aid has many aids that are available to students who don't have a stable financial condition or are in need of financial aid.
- There are mainly two types of financial aids:
- General Financial Aid: All international students who find themselves in economic distress can apply.
- STIBET Financial Aid: International students who are in the last stage of their study and who have registered or are about to register for their thesis can apply. Aid is awarded to students who unexpectedly fall in financial distress and have no other means of funding themselves.
- Both of the aids are provided for up to 6 months. At least 250 EUR per month is given as financial aid. Students are required to maintain a grade point of at least 2.5 to be eligible.
- Scholarships: The thirteen major state and national funding agencies are:
- Academic Foundation of the German people
- Cusanuswerk Episcopal Study Funding
- Evangelisches Studierendenwerk eV Villigst
- Ernst Ludwig Ehrlich Studienwerk
- Avicenna study program
- Hans Böckler Foundation
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung
- Konrad Adenauer Foundation
- Hanns Seidel Foundation
- Heinrich Böll Foundation
- Rosa Luxemburg Foundation
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation
- Foundation of the German Economy - Klaus Murmann Study Fund
Work and Study in Germany
Part-time jobs are a good way to fund the day-to-day needs of a student who has distress in finance.
- KIT allows students to work while studying.
- Students are allowed to work for 120 full days or 240 half days. However, working more than 20 hours a week is not compatible with a full-time course, as is generally offered by universities in Baden-Württemberg.
- A student can earn between EUR 5 to EUR 15 per hour and roughly around EUR 450 per month.
- Tax-free one-year earnings devoid of issuance of social security - EUR 8,354
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Alumni
It has a growing network of over 22,000 registered alumni all over the world. Its 18 international alumni clubs and alumni scouts in other countries. Few notable alumni of the institute are:
- Carl Friedrich Benz, Engine Designer and Automotive Engineer
- Carsten Spohr, German Airline Executive
- Stefan Quandt, Billionaire Heir, Engineer and Industrialist.
- Albert Speer, Minister of Armaments and War Production
- Cyriac Roeding, German-American Entrepreneur Based in Silicon Valley.
- Stefanie Dehnen, German Chemist
- Stefanie Petermichl, Mathematical Analyst
- Alexander Gerst, German European Space Agency Astronaut and Geophysicist.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Placements
- The below chart represents the salary that the alumni get after graduation from Karlsruhe University.
|Degree||Average Salary (in EUR)|
|Masters in Science||85,000|
|Bachelor of Science||41,000|
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology paves the way for graduates to enter the job market in Germany. The Career Service helps students with job and internship search. It also allows students to apply for various vacancies, application writing, career fairs, networking opportunities, career tips, etc. Some of the recent employers of the university’s graduates are Vector, Zeiss, Porsche, ABB, Coca Cola, Bosch, Deloitte, etc.
Ques. Where does Karlsruhe Institute of Technology rank in the world?
Ans. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is ranked 131st in QS World University Rankings 2021. It is one of the top science institutions in Germany.
Ques. How much is the tuition at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology?
Ans. The tuition fee for international students at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is 1,500 EUR per semester.
Ques. Does Karlsruhe Institute of Technology teach in English?
Ans. Yes, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology offers a few international degree programs in English.
Ques. What level of German language proficiency is required for admission to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology?
Ans. Students seeking admission to German taught programs require German language proficiency at the level B1.
Ques. What if I do not meet the required level of German language proficiency?
Ans. Students who do not meet the required level of German language proficiency for admission to bachelor’s degree programs can enroll in an intensive language course.
Ques. Can I apply to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology without German language proficiency?
Ans. No, students cannot apply to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology without German language proficiency as most programs at the institute are available in German.
Ques. How can international students apply for admission to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology?
Ans. International students must contact the International Students Office to apply for admission to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. Students who have a German abitur can apply using Studierendenservice.
Ques. When can students apply for admission to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology?
Ans. International students can apply for admission to Karlsruhe Institute of Technology for the Winter and Summer semesters. However, bachelor’s degree programs are not available for the summer semester.
Ques. Do I need to translate my certificates or credentials?
Ans. Yes, there is a need to translate the certificates if the certificates are not in German or English.
Ques. Does Karlsruhe Institute of Technology offer on-campus accommodation?
Ans. No, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology does not offer on-campus accommodation. International students prefer to live in dorms or shared flats close to the campus.
|M.Sc Mechanical engineering|
winter (15th Jul 2020)
summer (15th Jan 2020)
|M.Sc Electrical engineering and information technology|
winter (15th Jul 2020)
summer (15th Jan 2020)
|B.Sc Mechanical Engineering|
winter (30th Apr 2020)
|B.Sc Mechanical Engineering - Automotive Engineering|
winter (30th Apr 2020)
Find A Program
Nearest Ranked Colleges
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Reviews
Most Popular Tags
1 Reviews Found
Following completing my schooling I searched for the university that offered employability, quality lectures, individualized service package, support, additional training, and study guidance in order to develop my professional profile. Then I came across The Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. I decided to study here as it possesses all the features that I wanted to acquire.
8.653,69 € is the total fee paid by my dad in the first year.
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary