Hong Kong is a country that offers all the international students coming to study in Hong Kong with a wide array of work opportunities. International students working in Hong Kong gain valuable work experience as the country is on the verge of becoming world’s fastest economy.
The Government of Hong Kong has allowed international students to stay and work in Hong Kong after completing their course at the universities in Hong Kong. The Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates and non-local fresh graduates by the government allows international students to stay in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation to look for jobs.
Jobs after Study in Hong Kong: Eligibility Criteria
In order find work after study in Hong Kong, international student needs to make a note of the following.
- Students can stay in Hong Kong for a duration of 12 months and search for jobs.
- Extension of stay to look for work in Hong Kong must be made 4 months before the limit expires.
- For extending the stay, the employment offer letter needs to be submitted within a span of 2 months.
- Upon getting a job in Hong Kong, international students are allowed to stay for 2-3 years without any additional conditions.
The Hong Kong Immigration Department that these rules are strictly adhered to.
How to Stay and Work After Study in Hong Kong?
Under the Immigration Arrangement for Non-Local Graduates (IANG) students can stay in Hong Kong for 12 months.
- If a student applies for visa 6 months prior to graduation completion time, they need not have an offer of employment for obtaining their visa under IANG.
- If a student applies for visa after more than 6 months of graduation completion time, they need to have an offer of employment for obtaining their visa under IANG.
Duration of Work Visa and Extension
The following are the duration of visa types and visa extensions to work in Hong Kong for international students.
|Visa Type/Extension||Valid Till|
|Initial Visa||1 Year|
|1st Extension||2 Years|
|2nd Extension||2 Years|
|3rd Extension||3 Years|
Terms and Conditions to Apply for Visa under IANG
- If the residential status of the student has not changed, the student can enter and re-enter Hong Kong without any visa restrictions.
- If a student finds a new employment, no change has to be made on the visa.
Work after Study in Hong Kong: Popular Job Roles
Work after Study in Hong Kong for international students have become easier as there are several job roles where skilled individuals are in high demand. If a student has the required skill set, they can apply for the following job roles are they are the most sought-after professions in Hong Kong.
While graduates in the field of Banking, IT and Law are preferred a lot there are other job roles that international students can pursue.
Marketing and Sales
- Digital Marketing
- Business Development and Sales
- Brand Manager
- Operations risk and Internal Auditing
- Anti-money Laundering
- Regulatory Reporting
There are a broad range of employment opportunities for students from Urban Planning, Healthcare, International Law and Human Resources backgrounds as well.
Highest Paying Jobs in Hong Kong for International Students
Hong Kong finds it position at the top on the list of best countries to work in. All the international students applying for jobs in Hong Kong need to know about the jobs that give them the highest pays. They are the following:
|Job Profile||Salaries Offered|
|Sales Director-Medical Devices||USD 102,663 – USD 148,251|
|HR and Admin Director||USD 113,777 – USD 171,015|
|Legal General Counsel||USD 113,977 – USD 171,015|
|General Manager – Engineering||USD 171,015 +|
|Head of Retail||USD 171,015 +|
|R&D Director – Pharma||USD 113,967 – USD 228,005|
|Regional Head – Insurance||USD 148,203 – USD 205,219|
|CFO – Finance and Accounting||USD 113,967 – USD 285,007|
How to Find Work in Hong Kong as an International Student?
International students who wish to work in Hong Kong after completion of their course of study, should take a note of the following to find jobs easily.
- Consult the placement cell of the institution for assistance on finding jobs.
- Obtain all the information pertaining to work in Hong Kong after graduation from the Government of Hong Kong’s Official Website.
- The labour department of the Government of Hong Kong has started off with an initiative called Youth Employment Start (Y.E.S) aimed towards giving assistance and support services to international students falling under the age bracket of 15-29 years.
As noticed from above mentioned data, unlike other study abroad destinations, Hong Kong offers international students with hassle free post study work options.