One of the world’s leading young universities, established in 1975, Dublin City University is one of the fastest-growing institutes in Ireland. Dublin City University or DCU is recognized internationally for broadening the horizon for its students since 1980. Through the expansion of University came an increase in its academic portfolio. This lead to ranking DCU among the top 5 universities in Ireland.
Dublin City University is the first university in Ireland to incorporate work placements as part of its degree courses and to offer credits for extracurricular activities. The university also takes pride in its USTART start-up accelerator program, which focuses on supporting its student's business ideas with funding and space. Apart from these innovative programs, the university offers a diverse range of UG and PG degrees through its four faculties.
Around 12,000+ students enroll with Dublin City University each year. International students make-up a considerable amount of the total student population, which is around ~16%. They collectively represent over 116 nations from across the world. Together, these factors indicate the cultural richness and diversity of the University.
Have you taken admissions with DCU or plan on getting enrolled. Here are certain updates you must be aware of. Dublin City University is continuous planning for the academic sessions 2020-21. The major three rules that the university aims at focussing at the health and well being of students, enhancing student experience with COVID-19 constraints, and continue providing quality education. Some of the important information that you must be aware of as a prospective student is:
- Semester 1 for freshmen students will begin on October 5.
- Orientation for first-year students will take place online as soon as they accept their offers/acceptance letter
- Semester 1 will last for 10 weeks.
- Most programs will be delivered in a hybrid format and on-campus classes will be scheduled for no less than half a day.
- The continuing student (semester 2) will be mostly offered to pursue education online.
- The fees for the session remains unchanged
- A fully-flexible mode of accommodation will be offered.
|University Type||Public University|
|No. of Campuses||3|
|No. of Residence Halls||3|
71% in UG, 29% in PG courses
|Research Funding||~35 million EUR|
|Cost of Attendance||~22,500 EUR|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time and online|
Dublin City University Programs
A wide range of UG, PG, and doctoral programs are taught in 4 faculties- Faculty of Humanities and Social Science, DCU Institute of Education, Faculty of Science and Health, and Faculty of Engineering and Computing.
- HSS Faculty has around 3600 students studying across 12 UG, 26 PG, and 7 research programs. Course fields available for study include journalism, law, cultural innovation, and more.
- The institute of education is newly established and offers students with language programs, early childhood education programs, and more.
- The faculty of science and health has around 3400 students studying 24 UG and 25 PG programs at Dublin City University.
- Offering education to 1940 students with 35% of this student population of foreign origin. This faculty of DCU has the lowest number of programs- 9 UG and 10 PG engineering & technology programs.
Dublin City University Campus and Accommodation
- The university has three campuses located in the north of Dublin- Glasnevin, St. Patrick, and All Hallows campuses.
- DCU has two libraries- a new state of the library located at St Patrick complementing the previous Glasnevin library.
- Accommodations are available for Glasnevin and St. Patrick campus.
- Glasnevin has two styles of accommodations- Larkfield apartments and Hampstead apartments. Both available for first-year students. The former has two-bedroom apartments and the latter has 4-5 ensuite bedrooms.
- St Patrick accommodation offers single room occupancies with shared facilities.
Dublin City University Application Process
- Where to Apply?
- UG programs: Online Application
- PG programs: PAC application portal
- Application fee: 60 EUR (PG programs). There is no application fee for UG programs.
- Application deadline: UG Courses at DCU: July 1, 2019. Deadlines for PG programs vary.
- General requirements:
- Academic transcripts and mark sheets
- degree completion certificate,
- Personal statement,
- Fulfill country-specific requirements such as Indian applicants must have around 80% in their high school to apply for UG programs.
- English language certification
- GMAT scores may be required for certain PG programs
- Additional requirements: passport copy/citizen ID card
- English Proficiency Test: IELTS/TOEFL/equivalent test scores are required
|English proficiency tests||Minimum Scores|
|Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)||237|
|Pearson (PTE Academic)||63|
Dublin City University Cost of Attendance
International applicants planning to study at Dublin City University you must be aware of the costs involved to plan ahead of the expenses and apply for the scholarships if required. Discussed below are the tuition fees for popular programs and other costs involved when studying in Ireland.
Tuition Fee for Dublin City University
Here are the details of the UG and PG fees for international students planning to study at any of the following faculties.
|Programs||UG (EUR)||PG (EUR)|
Find out fees details as per the choice of your program, here
Cost of Living
The cost of living here includes monthly expenses an international student would require to study at Dublin City University:
|Expense||Monthly Cost (EUR)|
|Books and Materials||75|
Dublin City University Financial Aid
International students can seek financial aid in form of part-time jobs/student loans/scholarships. Some of the popular scholarships available for international students at Dublin City University are:
- DCU International Merit Scholarships: Available to meritorious international students pursuing full-time UG or PG taught programs. The award offered is 2000 EUR. Applicants are expected to fulfill at least one international student ambassadorial commitment. Application deadlines are closed for the upcoming session.
- DCU Continuing Student-Masters Program: If you are an international student pursuing education at DCU and plan on pursuing a one-year master's program here itself. You will be eligible for paying the EU student fees for the program instead of international fees.
Dublin City University Placements
The graduate placement rankings for Dublin City University for 2020 by QS are #301-500. Some of the highest-paid graduates from DCU were from the following programs:
- Executive MBA- 85,000 EUR/yr
- MBA- 78,000 EUR/yr
- Masters in Finance- 74,000 EUR/yr
- Executive Masters- 68,000 EUR/yr
- Bachelors- 62,000 EUR/yr
Students entering sectors like finance, management, consulting & accounting, and engineering were paid one of the best packages.
- The DCU alumni can enjoy benefits such as affinity credit card, sports facilities, join alumni clubs, academic transcripts.
- Alumni can apply for ‘Alumni Benefit Card’ and avail 1000+ discounts on various goods and services.
- Some of the distinguished alumni are Laura Whitmore, John Connolly, and Bernard Jackman.
Dublin City University has grown rapidly and is ranked among the top 500 universities in the world. The university is ambitious offering vibrant multi-campus environment to its students.
Ques. Is Dublin City University a good university to study in Ireland?
Ans. Yes, DCU is a small university with three campuses offering high quality education to over 16,000 students. Small class sizes and its academic reputation make it one of the best institutions to study in Ireland.
Ques. Which is the main campus of DCU?
Ans. The main campus of Dublin City University is Glasnevin campus. The remaining campuses are St. Patrick, and All Hallows campuses
Ques. How much does residence at Dublin City University cost?
Ans. On-campus housing ranges between 92-1216 Euros a month. This equals around 60,000 to 1 lakh INR. Living in Dublin is an expensive affair and one must prepare themselves for these costs.
Ques. What is the fees for Indian students at DCU?
Ans. The annual program fees for UG and PG programs at DCU ranges between 13,000 EUR to 19,000 EUR. For an Indian student these costs equal around 11 to 16 LPA INR.
Ques. Which is cheaper, off-campus or on-campus accommodation?
Ans. Accommodation in Dublin city is more expensive and hence, on-camous options are cheaper than off-campus deals.
Ques. Do I need Irish language proficiency to study at Dublin City University?
Ans. No, for pursuing education at Dubin City University, you will not need Irish language proficiency as the mode of education is English and programs are hence delivered in English language. As international students you will be required to submit proof of English language proficiency.
Ques. Can I apply for scholarships at DCU?
Ans. Yes, a handful of scholarships are available for international students studying at DCU. The award amounts are usually up to 2000 EUR.
|M.Sc Management - Aviation Leadership|
winter (17th Jul 2020)
|M.Sc International Accounting and Business|
winter (17th Jul 2020)
|Bachelor Business Studies|
winter (1st Jul 2020)
|B.Sc Aviation Management with Pilot Studies|
winter (1st Jul 2020)
CAO/PAC Admission (7th Oct 2019)
Find A Program
Nearest Ranked Colleges
Dublin City University Reviews
Most Popular Tags
1 Reviews Found
DCU is a very good business school and allowed me to complete 2 years in Boston as part of my course at Northeastern University. I also had the opportunity to do an internship in both colleges, which was very beneficial.
We had to pay $3000 for the year in total for fees. We could pay in full at the beginning of the year or in a set of 2 installments, one at the start of each semester.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary