Universiti Putra Malaysia is one of the premier university in Malaysia with a long-established reputation as a leading research university. UPM is highly dedicated to the discovery of knowledge and offers the finest programs in the field of engineering, medicine, business, and social sciences. With a capacity of approximately 20,000 students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, an entrant is bound to be surrounded by diversity in terms of both cultural and academic lives.
- Applicants are required to submit their applications University application portal or through the graduate application portal.
- It is required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4 for admissions at the Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- UPM’s postgraduate studies are managed by the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) and the university produces the highest number of PhD students.
- Applicants are required to fulfill faculty-specific as well as country-specific requirements for admissions.
- English language proficiency test scores can be submitted as proof of proficiency
Table of Contents
|2. Admission Deadlines|
|3. International Students Admission|
|3. English language Requirements|
|4. Visa Requirements|
|6. Undergraduate Admissions|
|7. Graduate Admissions|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Admission Highlights
|Application Mode||Online portal|
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||65 USD = UG
60 USD – PG
|Mode of Payment||Online|
|Intake Seasons||June (Only Foundational), September, February|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships (UG), Fellowships, Scholarships, Assistantships (PG)|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Admission Guidelines
The following are the deadlines for respective Universiti Putra Malaysia Programs, in accordance with the semester inauguration:
|June||1 November||15 March|
|September||1 November||31 May|
|February||1 June||30 November|
|September||Throughout the year||20 May|
|February||Throughout the year||20 October|
Universiti Putra Malaysia International Admissions
International applicants preparing for the Universiti Putra Malaysia must fulfill additional entry requirements. These are detailed below:
Admissions Requirements for International Applicants
- National Higher School Certificate with a score of 80%. Or Diploma with a CGPA of 3.0.
- Applicants must fulfill faculty-specific requirements:
- Faculty of engineering- Grade B in mathematics/and physics. CGPA of 2.80 is required
- Faculty of education studies- GPA of 2.0 in two subjects at STPM level (Malaysian Higher School Certificate) or its equivalent.
- Faculty of Science- 2.67 in Biology at STPM level or its equivalent.
- English language proficiency test requirements
- Financial statements.
- Country-specific qualifications that can be submitted are as follows:
|Country||Qualification (For only Bachelors)|
|Bangladesh||HSC/Intermediate Certificate/Alim (from Bangladesh Madrasah Education Board)|
|China||Senior Secondary School Graduation Certificate OR Graduation Certificate from a Vocational / Technical Secondary School (Zhixiao / Zhigao) OR a Skilled Worker School (Jixiao)|
|India||Senior Secondary School Examination Certification|
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lankan General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level)|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Admission English language Requirements
International applicants whose primary or first language is not English are required to submit proof of English language proficiency. Applicants can submit the following test scores for admissions in the university.
|Program||Minimum TOEFL Score||Minimum IELTS Score|
|Bachelor Programs||Paper Based: 500
Internet Based: 70
|Masters/Ph.D. Program||Paper Based: 550
Internet Based: 79-80
Computer Based: 213
Note: If a student does not have English Language Qualification, they can sit for the UPM English Placement test after arriving in Malaysia. If qualified, academic work can be started at UPM, in case a student fails to do so, they have to compulsorily opt for an English Language course at UPM.
Fees for English Language Course in UPM for a month is RM 2200.
Visa Requirements for International Applicants
Applicants must obtain a student pass for studying in Malaysia. Obtain a Visa with Reference (VDR) prior to arrival and submit to the Malaysian Embassy/High Commission in their country for a Single Entry Visa. Incoming freshers are required to fill the First-time/Returning Student Application. The document requirements for applying for a Malaysian student visa are as follows:
- Passport-size photographs (2) with a white background.
- A complete copy of the passport.
- Copy of academic certificates/completion certificates and transcripts.
- Full English translation of the certificates, if required.
- Health declaration form
- Vaccination report
- Visa application fee
Universiti Putra Malaysia Undergraduate Admissions
The UG programs by the Universiti Putra Malaysia offer study areas like science, education, engineering, business, etc. The admissions process and requirements for applicants are mentioned below:
Where to Apply: University Application Portal
Application Fee: USD 65
UPM Eligibility for Bachelor’s
- National Level High School Certificate (or equivalent to 12 years of education) with 80% or above.
- or a Diploma from a recognized institute with minimum 3.00 CGPA
- Certain programs at the Undergraduate level require students to sit for an interview before admission is granted.
UPM Documents required for Bachelor’s
- Previous academic qualification, or its equivalent (copy)
- Copy of transcripts
- Copy of translated documents (if originals are not in English)
- Copy of Passport (valid for at least 2 years prior to expiry date)
- Copy of English language certificates and tests- IELTS/TOEFL
- Financial statement, guaranteeing sponsorship by the respective sponsor.
- Copy of any other original document certified by a justice of the peace, notary public
Universiti Putra Malaysia Postgraduate Admissions
Admissions in UPM PG programs offered by the university require a set of documents and additional academic requirements that must be fulfilled. The details of which are briefed in the sections below:
Where to Apply: School of Graduate Studies Application Portal
Application Fee: USD 60 (International)
UPM Eligibility for Masters
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 CGPA out of 4 or equivalent.
- Some courses also accept a Bachelor’s degree in the related field with a minimum of 2.75 CGPA
- A Masters degree in Research requires applicants to have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 CGPA out of 4.
UPM Documents required for Masters
- Passport-sized photograph
- Referee's Details: previous supervisor or academic advisor or current employer.
- Key-in their details into the system and no referral letter is required to attach or send to UPM.
- Certificates of Bachelor Degree
- Transcript of Bachelor Degree
- GPA of 3.0 in the UG program
- Research Proposal Research Proposal (Master by research ONLY)
- English language proficiency
As mentioned above UPM will grant a provisional offer only if the applicant fulfills the academic requirement, but the candidate must fulfill the English Language requirement even before the registration
- Identity card (Passport/I.C)
- Letter of scholarship/sponsorship award (if any)
- Processing fee Receipt for 1 application
The Faculty/ Institute might decide to admit a student, in spite of a lack of or no academic qualifications. Provisional admission may be granted to a student, who is in the final semester of their UG study program, only if their academic qualifications fulfill the latest CGPA or its equivalent academic result, for the required course.
Universiti Putra Malaysia Admissions FAQs
Ques: How is UPM as a place to pursue graduate studies?
Ans: UPM provides education in a vibrant environment, 3000 international students from more than 60 countries get admitted to UPM every year, which constitutes more than 30% of the postgraduate student population.
Ques: How can I apply for a postgraduate program in UPM?
Ans: Application for the postgraduate program can be done online at the School of Graduate Studies. Prior to filing the application form, it is strongly advised to visit the official website of the SGS portal.
Ques: What are the intake seasons in Universiti Putra Malaysia?
Ans: Application for admission at UPM is open throughout the year, offering two intake seasons: September (first semester) and February (Second Semester). If a student misses out on the application dates for one intake season the application request is automatically transferred to another season.
Ques: I wish to apply for a Doctorate degree at UPM, how can I find a supervisor for the same?
Ans: International students willing to pursue research studies at UPM, can find a potential supervisor at SGD official website under “ List of Experts”. It contains supervisor name s as per faculty and field of study. In case admitted to a research program, the university will allocate a supervisor.
Ques: Can a masters student convert their program into a PhD?
Ans: At UPM, a master's student who excels in their grades can convert to PhD program after 2 semesters.
Ques: Does UMP offer Scholarships or academic assistantships?
Ans: UPM being a research university awards assistantship to all students pursuing higher education. International student's scholarships are also available on a competitive basis. It covers tuition fees and a monthly stipend to up to 6 semesters depending on the program of study.
Most Popular Tags
1 Reviews Found
One of the teachers at my bachelor's suggested to me this college for opting for my masters from. I explored the university online and found it interesting. I applied to the university through the official website by paying an application fee of around RM 250.