IIT JAM 2019 (Joint Admission Test for M. Sc.) is a pan India online entrance exam for admission into M.Sc., Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, etc. programs at the IITs and Integrated Ph.D. programs at IISC. The entrance is organized by one of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) every year on a rotational basis, on behalf of the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), GOI. Apart from the IITs and IISC, several National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs) also accept JAM scores for MSc admissions
Though the official notification for IIT JAM 2019 is yet to be released, in this article we attempt to elaborate on the salient features of the entrance exam, based on records of previous years:
- IIT JAM 2019 exam will tentatively be held in February 2019, the registration for which is expected to start in September 2018.
- Candidates must possess a recognized graduate degree with a minimum score of 55% to be eligible for IIT JAM 2019.
- The test would be an online, computer-based test with Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions. Check IIT JAM Exam Pattern
- IIT JAM Admit Card will be made available from January 2019.
- A total of 7 papers for different subjects will be present.
- IIT JAM Result 2019 is expected in March 2019.
- Candidates who qualify the written round need to register with JOAPS (JAM Online Application Processing System) for subsequent admission process.
- 3 consecutive lists of shortlisted candidates for admission will be released by the exam conducting IIT, the first of which is expected in May 2019.
Moreover, admission to National Institutes of Technology and CFTIs in M.Sc and M.Tech programs are offered through centralized counselling.
IIT JAM 2019 Highlights
|Name of the Exam||Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M. Sc|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institutes of Technology|
|Official Website||Will be specified in the official notification|
|Exam Type||National Level entrance exam for Postgraduate programs in Science|
|Programs offered||M.Sc. (Two Years), Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D.,
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree
Other Post-Graduate Degree Programs at IITs,
Integrated Ph.D. Degree Programs at IISC
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 55% in Bachelor’s Degree|
|Mode of Application||Online|
IIT JAM 2019 Important Dates
Since the official notification for IIT JAM 2019 has not been released yet, we have structured a tentative event calendar for the same, on the basis of previous years’ trends. Interested applicants are advised to follow the official website for further updates on the exam.
|Availability of IIT JAM 2019 Online Application Form||September – October 2018|
|Submission deadline for payment of Application Fee||October 2018|
|Issuance of Admit card||January 2019|
|Scheduled Exam Date||February 2019|
|Declaration of IIT JAM 2019 Result||March 2019|
|Submission Deadline of Admission Form||April 2019|
|Defective Form Verification Deadline||May 2019|
|Announcement of 1st Admission List||May 2019|
|Announcement of 2nd Admission List||June 2019|
|Announcement of 3rd and Final Admission List||June 2019|
|Closure of Admission Process||July 2019|
IIT JAM 2019 Eligibility
The general criteria that applicants need to fulfil prior to applying for IIT JAM 2019 are listed below.
- IIT JAM 2019 will be open for both Indian and foreign nationals. However, foreign nationals are required to satisfy the Foreign Student Admission Criteria of the Admitting Institute.
- To apply for admission to the desired program, candidates need to qualify in the relevant Test Paper and also meet the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the respective Academic Program. In general, applicants should possess a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized university.
- Applicants should have a minimum aggregate score of 55% (45% for reserved category candidates) in the qualifying examination.
- Candidates who have appeared or are due to appear in the qualifying degree’s final examination 2019 are also eligible to appear in IIT JAM 2019, subject to completion of all final exam modalities before admission and submission of certificates of the qualifying degree by September 2019.
IIT JAM 2019 Application Form
IIT JAM 2019 Application Form can be accessed from September 2018 on the official JAM website. The steps involved in filling the IIT JAM 2019 Application Form are mentioned below:
- Register on JOAPS with Applicants’ name, active e-mail ID, valid mobile number and password.
- Upon successful registration, applicants will receive an enrollment ID on their registered emails.
- This enrolment ID along with the password will be used for all IIT JAM 2019 related communications or website operations.
- Re-login to JOAPS with the login credentials and enter applicants’ personal information, category details, contact details, educational qualifications, test paper choice, and exam center preferences as specified on the Form. Also, enter details of a valid Photo ID Proof that candidates need to carry in person on the day of the exam.
- Upload applicants’ recent passport-size photograph, specimen signature and category certificate (if applicable) as per the specifications.
|Applicant’s recent, color, passport-size photograph with white background (should have been taken after August 1, 2018).||
Image dimensions: 3.5cm X 4.5cm
File Type: JPG or JPEG
File size: 5KB - 200KB
|Applicant’s specimen signature on white background||
Image dimensions: 2 cm X 7 cm
File Type: JPG or JPEG
File size: 5KB - 100KB
- The next step is application fee payment and has to be completed in online mode only through the integrated payment gateway, using either Net banking or Credit/Debit Cards.
- Upon successful payment, the status on the form would say ‘fee paid’. Failure in making the payment of the requisite fee will render the application incomplete and would lead to cancellation of the candidature.
Please note that, once the payment is processed and form submitted, no form details can be changed under any circumstances. Applicants are advised to meticulously check the application Form details before proceeding to the payment section.
Note: If one wants to add or change the number of test papers, they can do so by paying an additional fee. Category and gender can also be changed by paying an additional fee through demand draft.
IIT JAM 2019 Application Fee
The Application Fee for IIT JAM 2019 has to be paid online via Debit/Credit Cards or Net Banking. Please note that bank transaction charges as applicable will have to be borne by the candidates. Application Fee for different categories is tabulated below:
|Category||One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|General/OBC Category||INR 1500||INR 2100|
|SC/ST/PWD/Female (All Categories)||INR 750||INR 1050|
- In IIT JAM 2019, for one test paper, the application fee is INR 1500 for GEN/ OBC category and INR 750 for reserved category. For two papers, the application fee is INR 2100 for GEN/OBC category and INR 1050 for reserved category.
- If one wants to add or change the number of test papers, they can do so by paying an additional fee.
- Category and gender can also be changed by paying an additional fee through demand draft.
IIT JAM 2019 Admit Card
Applicants who have submitted their IIT JAM 2019 Application Form complete in all respects along with the requisite fees will be issued IIT JAM Admit Card. Details like Applicant’s name, Registration Number, Photograph, Date of Birth, Exam Venue, Exam Date, and Timings, etc. will be printed on the Admit Card.
Candidates need to carry the Admit Card along with a valid photo ID proof (the details of which has been entered on the Application Form) in person to appear for the entrance exam. IT JAM 2019 Admit Card will be available for download from the official website, January 2019 onwards until the scheduled day of the exam.
Candidates should note that Admit cards will not be mailed or sent by post and has to be downloaded only using the applicant login credentials. They are advised to immediately report any discrepancy on the Admit Card to the conducting authority.
IIT JAM 2019 Exam Centers
Applicants can choose up to three preferred examination cities from the eight IIT zones across India. They will have to choose the first 2 city preferences from the same zone, and the third city can be selected in any zone, including the zone already selected in the first two choices. The table below lists the cities under each zone where IIT JAM 2019 will be held.
|IISC Bangalore||Bengaluru, Hubli, Hyderabad, Kannur, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Palakkad, Trissur|
|IIT Bombay||Ahmedabad, Goa, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nasik, Pune, Vadodara|
|IIT Delhi||Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, New Delhi|
|IIT Guwahati||Asansol-Durgapur, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalyani, Patna, Siliguri|
|IIT Kanpur||Agra, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi|
|IIT Kharagpur||Bhubaneswar, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Ranchi, Vijaywada, Visakhapatnam|
|IIT Madras||Chennai, Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Kollam, Kottayam, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Warangal|
|IIT Roorkee||Dehradun, Jalandhar, Kurukshetra, NOIDA, Mohali, Moradabad, Roorkee|
Please note that a change of examination city and center may be permitted, in exceptional cases, provided a request for the same, supported by a valid reason, is received by the office of the Organizing Institute, on or before a stipulated date, along with a Demand Draft of INR 500 towards Examination Center Change Fees.
Candidates should bear in mind that the request and payment does not necessarily guarantee the change of center. The decision of the Organizing Institute will be final in this regard.
IIT JAM 2019 Exam Pattern
IIT JAM 2019 will be an online, computer-based test for all the Test Papers, namely Biotechnology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biological Sciences, Geology, Mathematical Statistics and Physics.
- The exam is divided into 3 sections and there are 60 questions in total
- Time allotted to complete the same 3 hours
- It comprises a maximum score of 100 marks
- Attempting all questions is compulsory
- Questions not attempted will be awarded zero
- There is provision for negative marking only in the first section
|IIT JAM 2019 Exam Pattern Highlights|
|Exam Name||IIT JAM 2019|
|Exam Mode||Online, Computer Based Test|
|Test Duration||3 hours|
|Number of Sections||3 Sections- A, B & C|
|Number of Questions||60 Questions|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions, Multiple Select Questions & Numerical Answer Type|
|Total Marks||100 Marks|
Answers are negatively marked in section A only. For every wrong answer of 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted and for every wrong answer of 2 marks, 2/3 will be deducted.
The table below showcases the distribution of questions and marks in the JAM 2019 question paper:
|Section||No. of question||Marking||Type of question|
|Section A||30||10 questions- 1 mark 20 questions- 2 marks||Multiple choice questions|
|Section B||10||10 questions- 2 marks||Multiple select questions|
|Section C||20||10 questions- 1 mark 10 questions- 2 marks||Numerical Answer type|
IIT JAM 2019 Syllabus
The Information Brochure of IIT JAM 2019 will comprise the detailed syllabus for all the test papers. Candidates should take care to prepare the chosen subject thoroughly in line with the officially prescribed syllabus.
In a broad sense, the topics to be covered in the seven IIT JAM test papers are listed below:
- Biological Sciences: General Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Mathematical Sciences.
- Biotechnology: The Biotechnology test paper comprises of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics sections, the topics being covered are from the graduation level.
- Chemistry: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry.
- Geology: Structural Geology, Applied Geology, Economic Geology, Geomorphology, Paleontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, The Planet Earth.
- Mathematics: Sequences and Series, Functions of Two Real Variables, Real Analysis, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus
- Mathematical Statistics: Sequences and Series, Matrices, Differential & Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, Statistics, Probability, Random Variables, Standard & Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses.
- Physics: Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, Devices and Electronics, Modern Physics.
IIT JAM 2019 Result
IIT JAM 2019 Result is expected to be released on the official website in March 2019. Candidates can access their results using their login credentials.
- For each test paper in IIT JAM 2019, an All India Rank (AIR) will be assigned to all the appeared candidates based on their performance in the respective test paper.
- For each test paper, an All India Merit list will be prepared category-wise, based on the AIR.
- Number of students getting placed in the Merit List will depend on the number of seats available in each subject, category-wise.
The IITs follow a tie-breaking procedure in case more than one candidate scores the same aggregate marks, for awarding ranks.
- Candidates with more correct answers than incorrect answers awarded the higher rank.
- If the tie persists thereafter, then the candidates concerned are awarded the same ranks.
JAM 2019 Scorecard will indicate the rank and marks secured by the candidates. Qualified candidates can download their scorecards from the official website from March 2019 till July 2019. Please note that, no scorecard will be dispatched to candidates through offline mode.
IIT JAM 2019 Admission Procedure
There is no other selection procedure for admissions into M. Sc. and other postgraduate programs in Science at the IITs and IISC post-IIT JAM exam. The candidates who feature in the Merit List once the IIT JAM Results are released are eligible to apply for the subsequent Admission Procedure by filling the relevant application form available at the official website. The features of the Admission Procedure are:
- The Admission window will open in April 2019.
- Candidates who satisfy the Eligibility Requirement and the Minimum Educational Qualification for the desired program(s) needs to login to the JOAPS and fill in Institute and program preferences, academic details etc.
- Seat allotment is done as per the preferences filled, rank and availability of seats
- A non-refundable payment of INR 600 has to be made for the admission procedure.
- 3 consecutive Admission Lists will be released on the basis of the Merit List, the first of which is expected in June 2019.
- The 2nd and 3rd list will be released only if seats are left vacant after the 1st Admission List
- Admission offers will be sent to candidates by the respective allotted institutes.
- Candidates must submit the Admission Offer Acceptance form along with the advance seat booking fee of INR 10000 (INR 5000 for SC/ST/PWD) within the stipulated date or the offer would stand canceled.
- Thereafter, the candidates will have to visit the allotted Institute in order to complete the admission procedure.