Established in 1976, United Arab Emirates University was the first comprehensive national university in the United Arab Emirates. It is a flagship university of UAE and is home to over 13,000 students. Currently, the university has 12,502 undergraduates and 1,175 graduates. The university has a higher enrollment of female applicants i.e. 78% of the student body and 22% male candidates. Around 16% of the student body comprises international students representing over 75 countries.
It is a research-intensive university offering over 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in the fields of Business and Education, Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, Education, Science, IT, Law, etc. The university houses 9 world-class research centers and has achieved international research stature for its research in the areas of water resources and cancer treatments. United Arab Emirates University is ranked among the top 300 universities in the world and 5th in the Arab region as per QS ranking of world’s top universities.
Table of Contents
- United Arab Emirates University ranks 284th in the QS World University Rankings and 5th in the Arab region rankings 2021.
- The university also has a QS 5-star rating.
- Times Higher Education has ranked the university in the following categories:
- 301-350th in World University Rankings 2021
- 301-400th in Impact Rankings 2021
- 3rd in Best Universities in the Arab World 2021
- 50th in Young University Rankings 2020
|Location||Al Ain, UAE|
|% of International Students||16%|
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ Online|
- The campus of United Arab Emirates University is located in Al Ain, UAE.
- Al Ain is the second largest city in Abu Dhabi with a number of popular attractions such as Jebel Hafeet, Al Ain Oasis, Al Jahili Fort, the Camel Market, Al Ain Palace Museum, etc.
- Students can enjoy a vibrant city life with first class hotels and restaurants, shopping malls, golf resorts, adventure park, wildlife parks and football stadium.
- The campus provides separate study and prayer facilities in the form of study lounges, mosques and prayer rooms and meeting and lecture rooms.
- The university has fully-equipped PC labs with modern computers, wireless internet access, printers, scanners, etc.
- The United Arab Emirates University provides safe and well-maintained residence halls for students living on campus.
- Students are provided rooms in one of the five Maqam Housing Halls and Taqam Housing.
- There are separate accommodations for male and female students.
- Facilities provided to students living on campus include laundry service, maintenance, cleaning, internet service and access to PC labs, free shuttle bus service, etc.
- Student residences have access to recreation facilities on campus such as sports and entertainment halls, TV lounges, modern gyms, artificial grasslands, cafes, libraries, football, volleyball, tennis and basketball courts.
- Each Housing Unit has a Housing Social Club which engages in organizing social, cultural, sports and other activities.
- The housing rate for undergraduate and graduate students are given below:
|Student Type||Housing Rate (in AED)|
- United Arab Emirates University provides a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs through its 9 schools and colleges.
- The university offers around 65 bachelor’s degrees and 35 graduate degrees.
- The 9 schools are colleges are listed below:
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education
- College of Food and Agriculture
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Information Technology
- College of Law
- College of Medicine and Health Science
- College of Graduate Studies
- Continuing Education Center
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences has the highest enrollment of students followed by the College of Engineering.
- Admission to the Bachelors of Medicine program offered by the College of Medicine and Health Sciences is restricted to UAE nationals and children of Emirati mothers.
United Arab Emirates University accepts applications for the fall semester. International students seeking admission to the university are advised to apply before the application deadlines. Admission to the university is primarily based on the academic records of the applicant.
Given below are the important details for the process of admission to United Arab Emirates University:
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: Undergraduate - 200 AED; Graduate - None
Application Deadlines: The deadlines to apply for admission to UAE University are:
|Level of Study||Application Deadlines (Fall 2021)|
|Undergraduate degrees||June 29, 2021|
|Master’s degrees||May 30, 2021|
|Professional degrees||May 30, 2021|
|Doctorate degrees||February 28, 2021|
The requirements for admission to undergraduate programs are as follows:
- Completion of Grade 12 certificate
- Proof of English language proficiency
- For programs taught in Arabic, a minimum EmSAT Arabic score of 1100 is required.
- Equivalency certificate from High School Certificate from UAE Ministry of Education.
- Students from Indian boards must have a minimum of 75% in Senior Secondary School Certificate in standard XII or equivalent.
Graduate applicants must submit the following documents along with the completed application form:
- Completed bachelor’s degree
- Copy of official transcripts, mark sheets and certificates from all previously attended institutions.
- Equivalency certificate from the Ministry of Education in UAE.
- Official copy of English language proficiency test scores
- Detailed and up-to-date resume
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals who can speak about the student’s academic career.
- Completed the Security Form
- The tuition fees per credit hour for various undergraduate programs according to the college are given below:
|College||Tuition per Credit Hour (in AED)||Total Credit Hours|
|Humanities and Social Sciences||1,900||120|
|Business and Economics||2,300||120|
|Food and Agriculture||2,500||120|
The fees per credit hour for graduate programs are given below:
|College||Tuition per Credit Hour (in AED)|
|Humanities and Social Sciences||1,600-3,000|
|Business and Economics||1,800-2,750|
|Food and Agriculture||1,600-3,350|
|Medicine and Health Sciences||1,600-2,000|
- United Arab Emirates University offers full and partial tuition scholarships to international undergraduate students.
- Students can apply for scholarships using the online application system.
- The scholarships are valid until graduation for students who meet the eligibility criteria.
- The necessary details of the scholarships are summarized below:
- Full Tuition Scholarship - These are awarded to students with outstanding academic records. The scholarship is awarded as a 100% tuition waiver to qualified students. The eligibility criteria for full tuition waiver are:
- Grade 12 certificate with at least 97%
- Minimum IELTS score of 7.0 or equivalent
- Minimum score of 680 in Math SAT subject test or at least 1500 in Math EmSAT or equivalent.
- Overall score of 1350 in EmSAT Arabic or equivalent
Partial Tuition Scholarship - Students with exceptionally high performance in high school may be considered for 50% discount on tuition fees. The eligibility criteria for the scholarship are:
- Grade 12 certificate with at least 90%
- Minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent
- Minimum score of 630 in Math SAT subject test or at least 1400 in Math EmSAT or equivalent.
- Overall score of 1250 in EmSAT Arabic or equivalent
- The university provides financial aid to graduate students from all nationalities in the form of various assistantships such as Graduate Research Assistantships, Graduate Teaching Assistantships for Graduate Administrative Assistantships.
United Arab Emirates University has a Career Planning Services Center that provides a number of services to students of the university in the form of career advice, individual counselling, career assessments, workshops, etc. The university provides valuable job search opportunities through the “Job Navigator”. The job navigator can also be used to explore career days, employer days, on-campus interviews, presentations, etc.
Ques. Is United Arab Emirates University a good university?
Ans. United Arab Emirates University is a flagship institution in UAE which ranked 5th in the Arab region and 284th in the QS world university rankings 2021.
Ques. Is United Arab Emirates University a private or public university?
Ans. United Arab Emirates University is a public university established in 1976.
Ques. How can I apply to United Arab Emirates University?
Ans. Students can apply to the United Arab Emirates University by completing the online application available on the university website.
Ques. What are the minimum requirements for admission to United Arab Emirates University?
Ans. Undergraduate applicants seeking admission to United Arab Emirates University must have completed standard XII within the last 3 years with at least 75%. Graduate applicants are expected to complete their bachelor’s degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or equivalent.
Ques. Does United Arab Emirates University provide student accommodation?
Ans. Yes, United Arab Emirates University offers student accommodation on campus.
Ques. How much does it cost to study engineering from United Arab Emirates University?
Ans. The tuition per credit hour for undergraduate programs offered by the College of Engineering is 367,500 AED for the complete program.
Ques. How much does an MBA from United Arab Emirates University cost?
Ans. The tuition fee for the MBA program at United Arab Emirates University is 86,400 AED.
Ques. Does United Arab Emirates University provide scholarships to international students?
Ans. Yes. United Arab Emirates University provides full or partial scholarships to academically excellent international undergraduate students.
Ques. Are international graduate students eligible for financial aid?
Ans. International graduate students are eligible for the Graduate Research Assistantships, Graduate Teaching Assistantships for Graduate Administrative Assistantships.
Ques. What are the requirements to retain scholarships awarded by the United Arab Emirates University?
Ans. In order to retain the scholarship, students must maintain a GPA of 3.8 on 4.0 for the full-tuition scholarship and 3.6 on 4.0 for the partial tuition scholarship. Additionally, students must complete 15 credit hours or more in each credit term while studying at United Arab Emirates University.