Founded by Queen Victoria, Queen's University Belfast (QUB) is a public research university located at Belfast in Northern Ireland. This prestigious university that sits on the island of Ireland was founded in 1810 as Royal Belfast Academical Institution and it proceeded to receive its first charter as Queen's College, Belfast in 1845 and thereafter, receiving proper university status in 1908 and since then Queen’s University Belfast has been offering comprehensive programs to all its students.
Queen's University Belfast is one of the Russell Group leading research-intensive universities and it is also the United Kingdom’s ninth oldest university. According to QS Graduate Employability Rankings, Queen's University Belfast is among the top 140 universities in the world for graduate prospects in 2020 rankings.
QUB graduates dominate senior leadership positions in 80% of 100 Ireland companies whilst almost standing out in over 120 countries. State of the art facilities at the university include a financial Trading Room with Bloomberg terminals, award-winning Naughton Gallery, Nursing Simulation Suites, Ewald Microscopy facilities, Lego Lab, etc. The university is relatively affordable to international students when compared to other universities in the United Kingdom as the cost of attendance ranges from 20,000 GBP to 50,000 GBP, and the university offers several external and internal financial aids to help international students afford the school.
Queen’s University Belfast Rankings
- 201-250th in the list of World University Rankings by Times Higher Education in 2020.
- 209th in QS Global World Ranking in 2020.
- 322nd in the list of Best Global Universities by U.S. News and World Report in 2020.
- 317th in subject rankings of Engineering by U.S. News and World Report in 2020.
|Application fees||20-25 GBP|
|Financial aid||Grants, scholarships, loans|
|English language proficiency score||TOEFL or equivalent|
|Admission helpdesk||Tel: + +44 (0)28 9097 5209|
Queen’s University Belfast Campus
- Queen’s University Belfast has 2,600 international students from 85 different countries
- There are over 300 buildings in the university’s estate and over a hundred historic buildings.
- QUB incorporates the award-winning McClay library that offers IT training rooms, a café, computing and media services, quiet study and group work areas, a Language Centre, and a large number of printed works.
- At the university's campus is the impressive Bridge Lecture Theatre that incorporates a 4K screen which allows a lecturer to have real face time with up to 64 students at once
- The university is currently investing up to 700 million GBP over 20 years into the development of academic facilities
- The hub of sports activities at the university is the State-of-the-Art Physical Education Center (PEC)
- The university offers more than 75 weekly fitness classes at the PEC to suit each student’s needs.
Queen’s University Belfast Residence
- There are seven residence buildings at QUB offered to students. Price per week varies from 75 GBP to 124 GBP.
- Room features include a bed, wardrobe, desk, desk lamp, drawer, chair, table, and storage space,
- Amenities include laundry, heating, Wi-Fi, electricity, fridge, post box, oven, toaster, TV, parking space, bicycle parking space, CCTV, content insurance, and 24/7 security
- Buildings are designed to allow for access to disabled students. Accommodation buildings inclusive.
- There are accommodations for students with families at one of the residential buildings.
- The university also provides tailored rooms for the students with mobility difficulties.
- Presently, more than 2,400 international and domestic students live in the university’s accommodation
Queen’s University Belfast Program
- There are 62 graduate research and Ph.D. programs, 100 masters, more than 48 graduate certificates and diplomas, and 215 undergraduate programs
- QUB offers a full-time and part-time MBA to only 50 students each year through Queen’s Management School
- There are three faculties and 15 schools through which all programs at QUB are offered
- There is the Pathway Opportunity Program at QUB that enables students who want to study at QUB but may need additional encouragement and additional support.
- The university has staff of more than 600 from over 70 nationalities.
Queen’s University Belfast Application Process
Application fee: Undergraduate: UCAS applicants pay 20-25 GBP; Graduate: NA
Application deadline: UCAS application deadline is June 30, 2020 (for international students); Medicine and Dentistry deadline (October 15).
- A-Level or IB or its equivalent
- Personal statement
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Specific program requirements
- Bachelor/masters degree or its equivalent
- Academic transcripts
- Research proposal (if applicable)
- Certified translations if documents are not in English
- Personal statement, CV (if required)
- Work experience (if applicable)
- Two letters of reference
- Proof of English language proficiency
- a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Specific program requirement
- English language efficiency proof (TOEFL iBT- Overall 80; IELTS- 6.0)
Queen’s University Belfast Cost of Attendance
Aspirants seeking to enroll at the institute are encouraged to plan an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the UK. The average cost of attendance for international students at the university is as mentioned below.
|Items||Amount per annum (GBP)|
|Tuition and fees||18,000-30,000|
|Leisure and miscellaneous||1,500-3,300|
Students enrolling in 2020/21 graduate courses need to pay anywhere between 16,000 GBP to 22,000 GBP for one year of study. All tuition fees are subject to a 2% annual inflationary uplift
Queen’s University Belfast Financial Aids
There are three institutional international undergraduate scholarships offered to international students at Queen’s University Belfast, United Kingdom
Financial aid open to international students include grants, scholarships, student jobs, and graduate fellowships
Examples of scholarships exclusive to international students include:
- International Office Undergraduate/Postgraduate Scholarships: This is awarded to new undergraduate/graduate international students enrolling in full-time programs at QUB. There is no application and this scholarship only lasts for two years. The amount of this scholarship is 2,000 GBP – 3,000 GBP
- Fulbright Scholarships: With varying amounts, these scholarships are sponsored by the Fulbright program
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Scheme: These scholarships are sponsored by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and UK universities to provide funding for masters students from developing commonwealth to study in the United Kingdom.
- Commonwealth Open Awards: These aids are open to most students from low-income Commonwealth countries.
- Chevening Scholarship: Chevening Scholarship is funded by the UK Government to award international postgraduate students to develop global leaders. The amount covers full Scholarship which includes flights, accommodation, and course fees
Queen’s University Belfast Alumni
- The university has more than 200,000 alumni and supporters worldwide that offer extended support in the latest research at the university.
- Some of the benefits for alumni include Transcript services, Networking opportunities, Exclusive access to QUB campus facilities, and Career guidance and assistance
Notable alumni include:
- Seamus Heaney -Irish poet
- Mary McAleese -former President of Ireland
- Annie Mac –Disc Jockey
- Stephen Rea –Actor
- Seamus Heaney- Nobel prize winner.
Queen’s University Belfast Placement
- 100% of Civil Engineering graduates had a job or furthered their studies six months after graduation
- 90% of Law graduates had a job six months after graduation or were furthering their studies
- 89% of Computer Science graduates had a job or were furthering their studies six months after graduation
- QUB organizes career fairs for its students intermittently
- Masters of Finance graduates at QUB earn 95,788.46 GBP (119,000 USD) yearly on average according to Emolument
- According to Emolument, QUB graduates working in the Healthcare and Alternative Medicine sector, earn 76,489.25 GBP (95,000 USD) per annum on average
|Master of Science [M.Sc] Business Analytics|
Term 1 (29th Jan 2021)
Find A Program
Nearest Ranked Colleges
Queen's University Belfast Reviews
Most Popular Tags
2 Reviews Found
I got to know about this college from a career fair organized at my school. There I saw the presentation of the college and it attracted me a lot. My grandfather also appreciates this college a lot. So I decided to opt for this college and applied for admission through UCAS. The application fee for the program was £20.
The per year fee for international students was £21,000.
Friendliness of staff, Belfast is beautiful and is my spiritual home, I have a better social life in Belfast as there is more to do.
I pay $9250 as I am from England but most of my friends are northern Irish and so pay $4000 which I feel is totally unfair. We have been told to buy one book and the rest of our reading has been available to us online. We also have to pay for theatre trips, hence they try to keep book costs down.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary