Queen Mary University of London is a world-class research institution that grew from the great philanthropic institutions of London's East End, with a history dating back to 1785. Founded to improve the lives of people all around the world with less privilege and to provide “hope and opportunity” to underprivileged members of the global society facing significant education barriers. Queen Mary offers degree programs across several areas of study even those that are not available in other member institutions of Russell Group. Undergraduate, Postgraduate degrees and Doctorates are offered at Queen Mary, University of London along with Online courses. Both domestic and international students also have the option of going for diploma courses, certificates, and pre-professional programs at the Queen Mary University of London.
Queen Mary is a member of the Russell Group known for its world-leading research and high-quality teaching evidenced by its silver rating in the UK’s Teaching Excellence Framework 2017 and the commitment to embrace diversity evidenced by 39% of the students' population being international students. The Queen Mary University of London is truly a global university - it is ranked in the top 20 institutions in the world for international outlook – based on the proportion of international staff and students, citations and internationally co-authored papers (THE 2020).
Queen Mary University of London Ranking
- The University is highly ranked at #114 in the QS World University rankings of 2021 with an overall score of 55.1.
- It is also ranked 201-250th in the graduate employability ranking according to the QS rankings.
- It is positioned at 110th position according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
- The university is positioned at #114 in the best global universities in the world according to the U.S. News and World Report.
- #43 in the best global universities in Europe according to the U.S. News and World Report.
- #12 in the best global universities in the United Kingdom according to the U.S. News and World Report.
- The University’s dentistry program has been ranked #11 in the world according to the QS World University rankings.
- The University’s Dentistry program is highly recognized and is at 3rd position according to the complete university guide. The medicine program is also ranked 6th in the United Kingdom and 1st in London specifically.
- Other programs and courses of the University are also ranked and lies in the topmost position like Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Humanities, and social science, accountancy, etc.
|University Type||Public University|
|No. of Campuses||5|
|Graduate Job Rate||94.2%|
|Research Funding||£22 million|
|Cost of Attendance||About £27,500|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time and online|
- Queen Mary is a truly global university with five campuses in London and other satellite campuses in China, Malta, and Paris.
- The Mile End campus serves as a home to most of the university programs like humanities, engineering, social sciences, and science. It also houses the halls of residence, lecture theatres, the Library, and the central administrative services.
- The Whitechapel campus houses the School of Medicine and Dentistry, the Institute for Health Sciences Education, the Blizard Institute, the Institute of Dentistry, the Whitechapel Medical Library, and the Royal London Hospital.
- Charterhouse Square houses the medical research headquarters for the Joseph Rotblat Building, the Heart Centre, the John Vane Science Centre, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, and the hall of residence for medical students.
- The West Smithfield campus, housing St Bartholomew's hospital, and the West Smithfield Medical Library also houses some cardiovascular, epidemiology, cancer, and public health research facilities
- Lincoln's Inn Fields campus houses the Postgraduate Law Centre, Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS), and a home for LLM teaching and postgraduate research.
- Some humanities and social science programs are offered at the University of London Institute in Paris (ULIP) in Paris- the French capital city
- Some postgraduate law programs with specializations in international shipping law are offered at the Hellenic Management Centre (HMC) in the heart of Piraeus, near Athens in Greece, which is a major international shipping center.
- Some Undergraduate medical programs are offered in on the Maltese island of Gozo
- The Mile End campus makes Queen Mary London’s only campus-based Russell Group university where students can study, live, and socialize all in one place.
- Queen Mary students are permitted to use the University of London’s central facilities, including Senate House and Student Central Library.
- Students on all campus are encouraged to participate in students activities ranging from students Union Government, voluntary services, community development services, etc
- All first-year full-time undergraduate and foundation students who meet the eligibility criteria are guaranteed accommodation in an on-campus hall of residence or off-campus halls or apartments.
- The halls of residence are affordable with a weekly residential fee ranging from 155 GBP per week.
- There are a total of 3,236 accommodation spaces for new applicants at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- In Mile End campus, there are over 2,250 rooms in self-catering residences located on-campus and off-campus for undergraduate students
- In Whitechapel campus, there are 360 rooms for Medicine and Dentistry undergraduate students located on-campus or off-campus but closer to the campus
- Postgraduate students are offered accommodation in the university-managed off-campus residence apartment with a capacity exceeding 700
- There are 26 rooms on campus adapted for students with mobility impairments (18 for deaf or hard-of-hearing students and 12 for wheelchair users
- All bedrooms in the residence halls are equipped with a single bed, desk, and chair, wardrobe, storage space, bookshelves, Wi-Fi, Heating, Communal kitchens, fully equipped with cookers, fridge/freezers, microwave ovens, laundry facilities, storage cupboards, and dining areas
- The housing services team helps students who choose not to live on campus, to find suitable, alternative housing options amongst the several housing options available in the neighborhood.
- Undergraduate, Postgraduate full-time study programs are available at Queen Mary, University of London along with Online courses.
- Study abroad opportunity is available at Queen Mary University of London.
- Queen Mary offers three joint programs in science and engineering with universities in China. Degree apprenticeships in collaboration with global partners in fields like Data Analytics, software engineer, clinical education and business management are also offered.
- Through the collaboration with Singapore Management University, Queen Mary offers a Dual law degree program in Commercial Law, taught in dual locations (Singapore and London)
- Queen Mary offers Foundation and Pre-Masters courses as alternative routes to study at Queen Mary University of London. Successful students of the program can proceed onto his/her desired degree program.
- The popular subjects offered by the institution include Clinical Medicine, Molecular Biology and Genetics. Queen Mary is counted amongst the most research-intensive universities in the UK for delivering high-quality research outputs.
With an acceptance rate of approximately 43.6% in recent years, the institute is a moderately selective institute for studying in the country. International students are advised to be cautious with every document and the scores they send.
- Undergraduate: Online via the UCAS website
- Postgraduate: University's online application system
- Foundation and Pre-Masters applications: the pathway portal.
Application Fee: UCAS application fee of 20 -30 GBP for undergraduates and no fee for postgraduate
- Undergraduate: Standard XII examinations or Central Board/State Board examinations with a score of 75% to 85%
- Postgraduate: A bachelor’s degree with a grade point of 2:2 or above or equivalent in a related discipline
- Supporting Documents-
- Completed application form
- Proof of your previous degree(s)
- Degree transcripts.
- One or Two Academic references
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/ Resume
- English Language certificate (if applicable)
English Language Requirement
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to present a show proof of English language proficiency by taking one of the following tests and obtaining a score not below the minimum scores acceptable by the school:
|Cambridge C1 Advanced||169||176|
|Cambridge C2 Proficiency||169||176|
- Some programs may require a higher test score
- If an applicant score is below the required standard English language requirements, he/she may enroll in one of the Pre-sessional English courses. However, applicants will require a UK government-approved Secure English Language Test for entry to the Thirteen-week pre-sessional courses.
- Applicants, who completed a first degree taught in English in a majority native English speaking country, will not be required to provide other evidence of English language ability.
Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance for the 2020/2021 academic session is presented on the table below
|Tuition||16,733 – 22,750|
|Accommodation||7,750 – 13,250|
|Meal||1,200 – 4,850|
|Miscellaneous||1,340 – 2,900|
|Total||27,023 – 43,750|
Note: Fee payment in installments is available
- Queen Mary awards a wide range of funding opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Most scholarships at Queen Mary are merit-based.
- Some of the scholarships available at Queen Mary include
- Chevening Scholarships with varying worth
- Commonwealth scholarships with varying worth
- Norman Palmer Partial Scholarship covering 30% of tuition fee
- Queen Mary Global Excellence Scholarships with varying worth
- Snowdon Masters Scholarship worth 30,000 GBP
- Walter Oldershaw Award worth 3,000 GBP
- Apart from the university scholarships, there are various external funding bodies providing financial aids to help international students cover the cost of attendance.
- Access to Queen Mary’s facilities
- Discounted access rates at Qmotion Health and Fitness Centre
- Access to the Senior Common Room
- 10% off conference and holiday room bookings on campus
- Networking and career service
- Matt Hyde – CEO of Scout Association
- Sir John Vane FRS - former Vice-Chancellor of the Chinese University
- Dr. Mario Vargas Llosa – Nobel Prize Winner
The Queen Mary University of London offers career and placement opportunities to the students as well. With its famous and recognized courses and programs, the students of the University have an advantage of success in their future catering to the programs they study.
- The University offers a web portal named QM Careers Hub which is open for all the students, staff, and employers for searching for jobs and even posting job listings on the same.
- The University also engages in organizing several career fairs and events which help students to look on to the opportunities available and grab the most efficient and suitable job they look for.
- Several workshops and other events for resume building, interviews and the like procedures required for the placements in the future are also organized and made available for the students so that they can make themselves marketable and learn new skills and build their resumes in such a way that they get selected.
- The students can also look on to the category-wise jobs listed on the human resources webpage of the website. The employers can also post the jobs related to specific categories and attract students for the required work in the companies.
- A student studying in the United Kingdom can earn up to a range of 18,000 GBP to 317,000 GBP annually.
- The students studying and graduating from the universities in the United Kingdom and settling in the country for future prospects can earn up to 68,100 GBP as their median salary from the courses and programs they study.
The University has received many awards and has gained laurels in the world as well as in the United Kingdom precisely dealing in much reputed and recognised courses and programs as well. The University has its admission procedures and the students should abide by them to enter the most widely accepted programs which help them earn their living and make their future prospects much brighter.
Ques. Is Queen Mary, University of London prestigious?
Ans. Queen Mary, University of London ranked 110th in the World University Rankings published by Times Higher Education in 2021. It has secured a place among the top 150 global universities in the world on various rankings which makes it a prestigious institution in the world.
Ques. What are the minimum grade requirements for admission to Queen Mary, University of London?
Ans. Queen Mary, University of London expects students to have at least A*-C or 9-4 in 5 subjects that must include English.
Ques. Is Queen Mary, University of London a Russell Group University?
Ans. Yes. Queen Mary, University of London is a part of the prestigious Russell Group University.
Ques. What are the English language requirements for admission to Queen Mary, University of London?
Ans. Most programs offered by Queen Mary, University of London require an IELTS score of 6.5. The band score requirements may vary from department to department.
Ques. How much is the tuition for Queen Mary, University of London?
Ans. The tuition fee for undergraduate programs at Queen Mary, University of London is 20,850-23,950 GBP. On the other hand, graduate program tuition fee ranges between 23,950-25,950 GBP.
Ques. Does Queen Mary, University of London offer scholarships to international students?
Ans. Yes. Queen Mary, University of London offers a number of scholarships to international students.
Ques. What is Queen Mary, University of London known for?
Ans. Queen Mary, University of London is a world class research-intensive university which ranked 5th in the UK for the quality of research.
Ques. What are the UK equivalents of a bachelor’s degree from India?
Ans. A bachelor’s degree from India with 70-80% is equivalent to a UK 1st class degree; 60-70% is equivalent to UK 2:1 degree and 50-60% is equivalent to 2:2 degree.
Ques. How can students apply to Queen Mary, University of London?
Ans. International students seeking admission to undergraduate programs offered by the Queen Mary, University of London must apply via UCAS. Postgraduate applicants must complete the online application.
Ques. Can I seek help during the application process from a local representative?
Ans. Yes. International students can seek help from an authorized local representative of the Queen Mary, University of London during the application process.
Term 1 (15th Oct 2021)
Find A Program
Nearest Ranked Colleges
Queen Mary, University of London Reviews
Most Popular Tags
3 Reviews Found
I opted for this particular college because my father graduated from this college. He is my role model. I want to be like him in every manner. He also appreciates the university a lot. So, I applied to the university through UCAS by paying an application fee of around £20.
I am paying an average amount for my studies. I have to pay about £23000 for the course per year which includes the fees and some other miscellaneous charges.
Good for law, particularly as they place emphasis on this course to bring in teachers as well as academics from the House of Lords and acclaimed.
Fees are payable every sequester or payable as a whole. Both are the ale for university and housing whilst I am living at University.
There are three main reasons for choosing the Queen Mary University of London. The first is the ranking of the University, especially concerning LLM in Intellectual Property Law course. The second is the wide range of subjects it has to offer. The third is the experienced faculty from different sectors of IP Law.
The fee structure is good. It depends on whether the person applying is a home student or an international student. If the fees are paid in full at the start of the year, the University offers a 1% discount. However, fees can be paid in two installments as well. It should be noted that there are no application fees. Other additional charges may be there if one opts for University accommodation.
|Queen Mary, University of London||University of Edinburgh||University College London||King's College London||University of Manchester|
|collegedunia score||5.7 Out of 10||6.9 Out of 10||7.7 Out of 10||6.6 Out of 10||6.5 Out of 10|
|ranking (overall)||# 117 QS World University 2022 |
# 117 Times Higher Education 2022
# 68 KC Rank Agency 2021
|# 16 QS World University 2022 |
# 30 Times Higher Education 2022
# 13 KC Rank Agency 2021
|# 8 QS World University 2022 |
# 18 Times Higher Education 2022
# 10 QS World University 2021
|# 35 Times Higher Education 2022 |
# 35 QS World University 2022
# 31 QS World University 2021
|# 27 QS World University 2022 |
# 50 Times Higher Education 2022
# 25 KC Rank Agency 2021
|subject strength||# 117 for Performing Arts by Times Higher Education 2022 |
# 117 for Law by Times Higher Education 2022
# 117 for Political Science by Times Higher Education 2022
|# 30 for Accounting by Times Higher Education 2022 |
# 30 for Performing Arts by Times Higher Education 2022
# 30 for Sports Sciences by Times Higher Education 2022
|# 18 for Political Science by Times Higher Education 2022 |
# 18 for Psychology by Times Higher Education 2022
# 18 for Design by Times Higher Education 2022
|# 35 for Social Studies by Times Higher Education 2022 |
# 35 for Accounting by Times Higher Education 2022
# 35 for Finance by Times Higher Education 2022
|# 50 for Electrical and Electronics Engineering by Times Higher Education 2022 |
# 50 for Biology by Times Higher Education 2022
# 50 for Statistics by Times Higher Education 2022
|programs||UG Programs -154|
PG Programs -147
Doctorate Programs -14
|UG Programs -43|
PG Programs -60
Doctorate Programs -8
|UG Programs -125|
PG Programs -116
Doctorate Programs -10
|UG Programs -49|
PG Programs -79
Doctorate Programs -32
|UG Programs -154|
PG Programs -98
Doctorate Programs -6
|acceptance rate||43.6 %||10.0 %||63.0 %||13.3 %||59.0 %|
|exam score||IELTS - 7.5|
TOEFL - 106
PTE - 68
GRE - 319
GMAT - 700
|IELTS - 7.5|
TOEFL - 110
GMAT - 700
PTE - 74.5
|GRE - 324|
GMAT - 700
PTE - 68
IELTS - 7.5
TOEFL - 106
|GMAT - 700|
IELTS - 7.5
TOEFL - 110
PTE - 76
|GMAT - 705|
GRE - 320
PTE - 68
TOEFL - 100
IELTS - 7
|cost to study||Average Tuition Fees USD 24254.6|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees USD 24625.4
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - USD 38868 Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees USD 37346|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees USD 37346
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - USD 11562 Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees USD 24782|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees USD 33977
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - USD 34205 Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees USD 38709|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees USD 30180
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - USD 32210 Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees USD 31200|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees USD 31200
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - USD 26287 Per Year
|placement (average package)|
Graduate Employability Ranking 2020: 201-250; Highest paying degrees with average annual salary are: LLM – 89,000 USD, Executive Masters – 80,000 USD, MA – 73,000 USD
Global Employability University Ranking (published by the New York Times) #18; average salary 60,000 USD; Top recruiters: Tesco Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland, Avaloq Evolution AG, Scottish Government; Highest paid degrees: MBA (148,000 USD), Bachelor (123,000 USD), Executive MBA (100,000 USD), Executive Masters (94,000 USD), PhD (93,000 USD), Masters in Management (89,000 USD).
Graduate employability rank: #22,
Graduate Employability Rankings: #68,
Graduate Employability Rankings: #41,
75% – 85% in Class 12th for UG admission; CV, Personal Statement, At least 2 references
Transcripts; Proof of English Language Proficiency; Portfolio; Work experience; LORs; Resume; Standardized scores (Optional); Research papers.
applications must be made through UCAS. Personal statement and LORs are an important part of both UG and PG applications.
Indian Student’s applying for UG programs must have at least 80-90%
Indian students applying for bachelors must have at least 80%, PG aspirants must have a first-class degree.
|collegedunia reviews||9.2/10 Read 3 reviews||8.1/10 Read 3 reviews||8.0/10 Read 3 reviews||8.2/10 Read 5 reviews||6.6/10 Read 6 reviews|
|campuses and b schools||NA||NA||NA||NA||Alliance Manchester Business School|
|-||Read Full Comparison||Read Full Comparison||Read Full Comparison||Read Full Comparison|
UCAS Deadline Deadlines
CAS Deadline Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
- Bus Station
- Train Station
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary