IIT Mandi is inviting application form for admission to the PhD in Civil, Mechanical and Materials Engineering. The last date for submitting the application form is November 8.
IIT Mandi Important Date
|JEE Advanced Exam||23 Aug, 2020|
|IIT JAM Registration||04 Sep - 09 Oct, 2019|
|IIT JAM Exam||09 Feb, 2020|
|GATE Registration||14 Sep - 30 Sep, 2020|
|GATE Exam||05 Feb, 2021; 07 Feb, 2021; 12 Feb, 2021; 14 Feb, 2021;|
|PhD Registration||21 Oct - 08 Nov, 2020|
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mandi, located in the foothills of Himalaya, is ranked at 20th position among all the engineering colleges of India by NIRF 2019. The college offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral courses in the field of technology. Further, Doctoral courses are also offered in the field of Humanities. The college is famous for its most beautiful campus among all the colleges of India.
IIT Mandi Highlights
|Courses||UG, PG, and Doctoral|
|Mode of Selection||Online|
|Campus Area||538 Acres|
Click here: IIT Mandi Ranking
IIT Mandi Courses
IIT Mandi offers 5 courses in the field of technology viz., B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc, MS and Ph.D. Given below are various courses and in tabulated form.
|B.Tech||CS, EE, ME, Civil||At least 75% aggregate marks in the Class XII Board examination.||Score in JEE Advanced and counseling. Read more|
|M.Sc||Chem, Physics, Maths||B.Sc in the relevant discipline with 60% (55% for SC/ST/PWD) from a recognized university||Score in Written Test conducted by IIT Mandi followed by an interview|
|M.Tech||The energy system, Biotech, Material Eng, VLSI, Power Electronics, Comm and Signal Processing, EE, ME, CS||BE/ B.Tech/ M.Sc degree in the relevant discipline OR MCA (Distance Mode are also eligible to apply). /AMIE passed candidates can also apply. Minimum aggregate of 60% (55% for SC/ST/PWD).||GATE Score followed by an Interview. Read more|
|MS by Research||Signal Processing and Communication, Computer Science, Control System, Power System Electronics Drives, Mechanical Design, Manufacturing, Thermal Fluid Science, Material||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology OR Master degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized university with at least 60% marks.||A valid score in GATE/ NET/ GRE or GMAT followed by an Interview|
|PhD||Signal Processing and Communication, Computer Science, Control System, Power System Electronics Drives, Mechanical Design, Manufacturing, Thermal Fluid Science, Material, Water Resource, Geotechnical engineering, Social Science, Biological Science, Physics, Bio, Mathematics||Master’s degree in Sciences OR ME/ M.Tech in the relevant field from a recognized university with 60% (55% for SC/ST/PWD)||GATE/ UGC NET/ CSIR NET/ NBHM. In case of a candidate with at least five years of work experience, the decision regarding Entrance will be taken by the selection committee only|
Read More IIT Courses and Fees
IIT Mandi Admissions
The admission to the institute is done through national level examinations such as JEE Advanced for UG courses and GATE for PG courses. To take admission to Ph.D., the candidate must be qualified in UGC NET/ CSIR NET.
Application form for all the courses can be filled online by following the below-listed steps:
- Visit the official website of IIT Mandi and register with a valid e-mail ID and Password.
- After successful registration, login credentials will be sent through e-mail.
- Visit the examination portal of JEE Main or GATE (whatever applicable)
- Fill all the details and submit the application form.
Note: Candidates will be called for Counselling at the time of final admission.
Criteria For Direct Admission To Ph.D. Program:
- Those students who have completed B.Tech from any of the IITs with at least 80% marks in aggregate. BE/ B.Tech degree with at least two years of work experience in the reputed R & D organization.
- Institute Staff/ Research Scholars under QIP and Research Scholars under External Registration Scheme are also eligible to apply in part-time mode.
- IIT Mandi also offers admission to MS and Ph.D. courses in the part-time mode for candidates belonging to Himachal and J&K.
- Admission to MS by Research Lateral Entry will be awarded to those students who have admitted to M.Tech or MS degree in a recognized university or Institute and have completed at least one semester of the program.
Read More IIT Mandi Admissions
IIT Mandi Placements
IIT Mandi, through its Career Development and Corporate Relations Centre (CDCRC), provides students a career orientation in terms of industry, academia, R&D, entrepreneurship and public service. The cell organizes professional development activities and familiarizes students with industry expectations and other career alternatives. The recruiters visit the campus and conduct pre-placement talks, group discussions, aptitude test, technical test, and personal interviews.
- Highest Package: INR 27 Lacs
- Average Package: INR 13.5 Lacs
Some of the reputed regular recruiters who rely on IIT Mandi for their human resource needs are Amazon, Google In, BPCL, Bluestar, CISCO, Capgemini, Hyundai, IBM, Flipkart, ITC, ISRO, Microsoft, TCS, TATA Motors, COAL India, EBAY, Finisar, HPCL, Grofers, Larsen & Toubro, Mahindra, etc.
Read More IIT Mandi Placements
IIT Mandi Scholarships
IIT Mandi offers various scholarships on the basis of merit and category. The scholarships available for different courses are tabulated below: are tabulated below:
|Scholarship Name||Offered to||Available to|
|HTRA Scholarship||M.Tech/ MS and Ph.D.||-|
|Merit cum means Scholarship||M.Sc (Chemistry/ Mathematics)||General & OBC|
|Institute Scholarship||M.Sc (Chemistry/ Mathematics)||SC/ST|
|Central Sector Scholarship (Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment)||B.Tech||SC|
Read More IIT Mandi Scholarships
IIT Mandi Facilities
- Library: IIT Mandi has a Central Library currently houses over 13,200 books and provides access to more than 3500 e-journals. The Library also has a very good collection of AV materials, such as CDs and DVDs. Library operations are automated using the KOHA LMS.
- Accommodation: There are several girls and boys hostels, which house the undergraduate and postgraduate students. Faculty quarters are available for all faculty members. There are a few staff quarters as well. There are also studio apartments and guest houses for visitors. The campus is a fully residential complex for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- In-campus: Dining: 2 central mess in South Campus and 2 central mess in North Campus (for hot meals throughout the year), Bakery, Canteen, and 2 cafeterias are the places available for dining in the main campus.
- Sports: Basketball, Cricket, Volleyball, Soccer, Hockey, Football, Badminton, Tennis, Table Tennis and Cycling are few sports being practiced in the main campus. Activities like Hiking and Trekking are encouraged under guidance. Other amenities: BookNook - the recreational library at IIT Mandi, is an initiative by Dr. Priscilla Gonsalves and Dr. Shweta Rao to facilitate good reading habits in the Campus residents.
IIT Mandi Faculty
Name: Prof. Gonsalves
- Designation: Director
- Education Qualification: B. Tech in Electronics, MS at Stanford University
- Designation: Assistant Professor
- Education Qualification: Ph.D. from IIT Delhi
Name: Surya Prakash Upadhyaya
- Designation: Assistant Professor
- Education Qualification: Sociology of Religion, Urban Sociology, Post-Reform India Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (2011)
Name: Varun Dutt
- Designation: Associate Professor
- Education Qualification: Artificial Intelligence, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Judgment and Decision Making Ph.D. from Carnegie Mellon University, USA (2011)
Name: Shyamsree Dasgupta
- Designation: Assistant Professor
- Education Qualification: PhD from Carnegie Mellon University, USA (2011)
IIT Mandi FAQs
Ques. Which is more popular in IIT Mandi, Electrical or Mechanical?
Ans. As IIT MANDI is not that old , only 4 branches can be pursued by a student here . CSE Branch here is great. Coding culture here in IIT MANDI is great too. And other core branches including electrical and mechanical are also good. 3 or 4 years back, maybe IIT Mandi didn't had good faculties. But now both branches have excellent and experienced faculties. Both branches have labs which has almost every thing needed. Placements in electrical and mechanical branches are almost equal. (However , EE>ME)
Ques. How is mechanical engineering at IIT Mandi?
Ans. It's quite good here.The curriculum is flexible and for around the first 3 sems you have common IC courses I.e. same for all branch students. IIT Bhubaneswar and IIT Gandhinagar are equally good and better than IIT Mandi for mechanical. However IIT Bhubaneshwar just has a slight edge over IIT Gandhinagar.
Ques. How is campus at IIT Mandi?
Ans. IIT Mandi has already shifted to its permanent campus in 2012. Right now we're living in the South section of the campus. The North section is under construction and will be ready in a year at most. The campus of IIT Mandi is one of the best as far as serene beauty is concerned. The campus is situated on the bank of Uhl River which is a tributary of Beas River.
Ques. Which IIT has most beautiful campus.
Ans. As voted by lot of students, IIT Mandi has got the title of most beautiful campus among all other IITs.