Indian Institute of Science, also known as IISc, was set up in the year 1909 at Bangalore, Karnataka. The college has 6 academic divisions and 45 academic departments. Apart from that, the college has around 13 departments under the director and 6 autonomous societies/centers. Admissions are done via online mode based on the merit in qualifying entrance exams for respective courses.
The college has an active placement cell that annually conducts recruitment drives for eligible meritorious students. Last year around 25% students got placed with a salary package between INR 20 LPA to INR 30 LPA. Some of the top recruiters of the college include Oracle, Toshiba, HSBC, Cisco, Dell.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Highlights
|Institute Name||Indian Institute of Science|
|Established | Institute Type||1909 | Deemed to be University|
|Campus Area||440 acres|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, Integrated Ph.D.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance based|
|Top Recruiters||Bharat Petroleum, Hindustan Petroleum, Flipkart, Amazon, Myntra, Exide, L&T, Tata Steels. Ashok Leyland and many more.|
|Facilities Available||Travel agencies, Photo Studio, Book shops, Photocopy & DTP Centres, Pharmacy, Laundry & Dry Cleaners, Hostel, Gymkhana, Health Centre, Auditorium etc.|
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Rankings
- IISC was ranked second in the world in terms of citation per faculty by QS world university.
- It was ranked 301-350 in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2020.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked it as the top institute in India and 29th in the 2019 Asia ranking.
- It was ranked 401-500 by the Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2019.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Courses
IISc offers full time on campus courses at UG, PG and research level in engineering and management streams. The details of the courses along with their specialisations are tabulated below:
|Integrated Ph.D. (M.Sc. + Ph.D.)||
|Integrated M.Tech and Ph.D.||
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Admission
Candidates seeking admission to UG, PG and research courses at IISc, Bangalore must follow eligibility norms prescribed by the institution.
- Online mode of applications is accepted
- Candidates are allotted seat based on merit in qualifying entrance examination
- Application forms are available on the official website
- Click here to fill online application for 2020-21 UG courses
- Click here for online application for PG admissions
- Marksheet and passing certificate of class 10
- Marksheet and passing certificate of class 12
- Qualifying examination degree
- Qualifying exam admit card and score card
- Recent passport sized colour photographs
- Offer Letter
- Domicile certificate
- Category certificate
How to Apply?
- Candidate need to visit the official website of IISc, Bangalore
- From the homepage, click on the tab for ‘Admissions’
- From the new open page, select ‘Apply Online’ link
- There will be two tabs, one for UG and second for PG admissions, select the desired link
- Register as a new user
- Enter valid details related to academics and personal data in the application form
- Pay the fees via online mode
- Finally submit the application form before due date
Read more: IISc Bangalore Admission
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Placements
IISc Bangalore has an active placement cell known as OCCaP or the Office of Career Counselling and Placement that conducts recruitment drives annually for final year students. There are opportunities made available for placements as well as internship programs
- For internships of 2020-21 batch that commenced in February 2020, highest stipend offered on campus is 1.15 lacs per month while average stipend was 57k per month
- Around 25% of the students got placed with salary package under the range INR 20 LPA to INR 30 LPA
- The highest salary package was INR 40 LPA while average package offered was INR 10 LPA
- Placements usually commences from September/October till May
- Recruiters and students need to register themselves on the OCCaP portal to access students database and placement details respectively
- Some of the prominent past recruiters include Bharat Petroleum, Hindustan Petroleum, Flipkart, Amazon, Myntra, Goldman Sachs, IBM, Nutan, Adobe, Samsung, Microsoft among others
- Click here to register in OCCaP portal.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Facilities
IISc Bangalore in itself is a self-contained campus that provides almost all required facilities in the premises itself. The list of facilities available is detailed below:
- Travel agencies: The college campus includes two tour and travels companies that provides domestic and international travel services
- Hostel: The campus has hostels with mess and other required facilities for outstation students and staff. There are boys, girls and guest rooms with total capacity of 3000 students
- Gymkhana: The campus has facilities for health and wellness including swimming pool, gymnasium, kung fu classes, badminton court etc.
- Health Center: IISc has a well-equipped health center that undertakes outpatient and inpatient services along with facilities of clinical lab, dental unit, operation theaters etc.
- Provision and General Stores: There are 2 provision stores that supplies daily essentials to students and staff
- Other facilities include tailoring shop, photocopy and DTP center, banks, eateries, amenities hall, auditoriums etc.
Ques. Can I take admissions to M. Tech without applying for GATE exam?
Ques. Does IISc Bangalore offer 100% placement assistance to students?
Ques. When will the application forms be available for admission into IISc Bangalore?
Ques. How to reach out IISc Bagalore for admissions and other related queries?
Ques. Does IISC Bangalore provide hostel accommodation to outstation students?