- The admission process of NIT Calicut is supervised by the JoSSA and CSAB. Candidates must not apply separately to the institute for admission to B.Tech and B.Arch admission.
- Admission to B.Tech & B.Arch program is based on JEE Main (Paper 1 and Paper 2) exams. The entrance exam for the same started on September 1, 2020, and concluded on September 6, 2020. Results for the same have been announced and JEE Main 2020 Counselling by JoSAA has been started.
- NIT Calicut Ph.D. admission 2020 has been started, the last date to apply for admission to the December session is November 4, 2020, till 5 PM. The list of shortlisted candidates for admission will be announced on November 25, 2020.
- NIT Calicut M.tech admissions 2020 are over. Candidates can now apply for GATE 2021 registrations, last date to apply for GATE 2021 is October 8, 2020, without a late fee. In case the candidate misses out on the registration by Oct 8, they may fill the application form by October 12, 2020, by paying a late fee of INR 500.
- NIT Calicut M.Sc admissions 2020 will be made through Institute Special Round (ISR) as per the CCMN 2020 eligibility norms. Candidates scoring good marks in JAM 2020 will be given preference. In the unlikely event of candidates having the same JAM score, Date of Birth will be considered for breaking the tie. The elder candidate will be given preference.
- The announcement of Special round admission was made on October 6, 2020, and the date for admission is set for October 14, 2020.
- NIT Calicut MBA admission 2020 was made in two sets. After the first set of admissions, there were seats left vacant for which the institute again released a notice. As there was no clarification regarding the CAT 2020 examination, NIT Calicut conducted the MBA admissions 2020 on the basis of CAT 2019 scores.
NIT Calicut Admission 2020 Date
B.Tech & B.Arch
|JEE Main B. Arch and B. Planning Papers||September 1, 2020|
|JEE Main B.E/B.Tech Papers||September 2 – 6, 2020|
|Announcement of Results||
September 11, 2020 (Paper-1)
September 18, 2020 (Paper-2)
|JoSSA Registration and Choice Filling||October 6, 2020|
|Last date of counseling for NITs||November 13, 2020|
|Commencement of Application Process||September 11, 2020|
|Last date to fill the Application form||October 8, 2020|
|Extended date for submitting the online application form||October 12, 2020|
|Announcement of the Special round admission with vacancy position on the Institute website||October 6, 2020|
|Registration and Online uploading of the documents||October 8 and October 9, 2020|
|Results for the Institute Special Round Admission||October 12, 2020|
|Payment of fee||October 12 & October 13, 2020|
|Online Admission and Enrolment||October 14, 2020|
|Physical Reporting and Document verification at the Institute||To be notified|
|Official notice||January 1, 2020|
|Last date of application||February 28, 2020|
|Declaration of the list of Candidates Selected for GD/ PI (Set 1)||March 15, 2020|
|Dates for PI and GD (Set 1)||March 16 to March 25, 2020|
|Result of shortlisted candidates (Set 1)||April 9, 2020|
|Admission start date||April 22, 2020|
|Online document uploading (set 2)||June 30 to July 6, 2020|
|Online document verification by officers||July 7 to July 8, 2020|
|Payment of fee||July 9 to July 12, 2020|
|Online admission||July 13 to July 14, 2020|
|Physical reporting and document verification||To be notified|
|Last date to apply for the December session||November 4, 2020|
|Publishing the list of shortlisted candidates for the selection process, on the website||November 15, 2020 (Tentative)|
National Institute of Technology (NIT) Calicut is ranked at 28th in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019, making it one of India’s most sought after engineering institutes. The college currently has a student strength of 4,736 including male and female students, as well as a highly qualified faculty of about 300 members with a majority of Ph.D. holders.
NIT Calicut offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level programs in Engineering, Science, Humanities and 11 other departments. Admission is done based on entrance examinations such as JEE Mains, GATE, CAT and NET. The institute also offers healthcare, sports and other facilities to students. NIT Calicut has had a great placement record with nearly 500 students from the B.Tech program getting placed last year, with an overall average annual CTC of INR 8.05 LPA. Recruiters included Infosys, Intel, Larsen and Toubro, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Consultancy Services, Saint Gobain, Tata Motors to name a few.
NIT Calicut Highlights
|Established | Type||1961 | Autonomous|
|Recognized by||AICTE and UGC|
|Rankings 2020||23 for B.tech by NIRF
3 for Architectire by NIRF
22 for B.Tech by The Week
|Courses offered||UG, PG, and Doctoral|
|Accepted exam scores||JEE Main, NIMCET, GATE, CAT/ MAT|
|Top recruiters||Ashok Leyland, Bajaj Auto, Capgemini, City Bank, Dell, HSBC, Intel, Infosys, L&T Ltd., etc.|
NIT Calicut Ranking
National Institute of Technology Calicut has been ranked by various recognized ranking platforms for its performance in the Engineering and Architecture categories among other institutes:
- NIT Calicut is ranked 23 for the B.Tech program and 3 for its Architecture program by the NIRF in its 2020 rankings.
- The institute is also ranked by The Week 2020 at 22 for the B.Tech program.
- Ranked 28th in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019
- Ranked 3rd in the Architecture category by NIRF Ranking 2019
- Ranked 76 overall by Business Today Ranking 2019
NIT Calicut Courses
There are various Courses offered by NIT Calicut at the Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Research level namely, B.Tech., B.Arch., M.Tech., M.Sc., MCA, MBA, and Ph.D.
|Program||Specialization||Eligibility||Tuition Fee (per annum)|
|B.Tech||Civil Engineering||60% marks (55% for SC/ST) in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics along with English as one of the main subjects from a recognized board||INR 53,797|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|B.Arch||-||60% marks (55% for SC/ST) in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics along with English as one of the main subjects from a recognized board||INR 53,797|
|M.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||
BE/ B.Tech degree in the relevant stream with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) from a recognized university
|Materials Science and Technology|
|M.Sc||Physics||Graduation in the related discipline with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) from a recognized university||INR 25,250|
|MCA||-||60% marks in Graduation with Mathematics||INR 90,250|
|MBA||-||Any Bachelor’s degree with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) from a recognized university||INR 1,70,000|
|Ph.D||Computer Science and Engineering||
M.Tech/ M.Sc in the relevant discipline with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) from a recognized university
Check: NIT Calicut Courses
B.Tech and B.Arch Course Eligibility
Admission to the B.Tech under its 10 specializations and B.Arch. program is on the basis of marks acquired by the candidate in 12th (Science Stream) or equivalent from a recognized University. The selection of candidates will be on the basis of marks in JEE Main. The final selection to the program is based on the allocation of seats through JoSSA Counselling (Joint Seat Allocation Authority).
JEE Main is a three-hour duration exam that consists of Objective Type and Drawing Aptitude type questions. JEE Main Syllabus for Paper 1 covers 3 subjects viz., Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. While JEE Main Paper 2 comprises 3 sections- Aptitude Test, Mathematics and Drawing Test.
M.Tech, M.Plan, MCA, MBA, and M.Sc. Course Eligibility
NIT Calicut offers twenty-five specializations under M.Tech Program and three specializations in M.Sc. program along with an M.Plan Architecture and Planning program. Applicant must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree in their relevant stream with minimum 60% marks aggregate. The selection of the programs will be made on the basis of the GATE/ JAM score acquired by the candidate. The final selection to the program will be made by GATE CCMT Counselling (Centralized Counselling for M.Tech/ M.Plan).
GATE is a national level test for admission to M.Tech/ Ph.D. and other Government Scholarships/ Assistantships in the field of engineering and technology. The national level examination is a three-hour computer-based test with 65 questions that are further divided into two types - Objective and Numerical.
MCA and MBA Course Eligibility
The University offers MCA and MBA programs at the Postgraduate level. Candidates applying to these courses must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized Institute/University. Those applying to MCA program must hold a Bachelor’s degree with minimum 60%(Mathematics in 12th is Mandatory) whereas candidates applying to MBA program must hold a Bachelor’s degree with minimum 55% marks. Students will be selected for the MCA program on the basis of marks in NIMCET exam and for the MBA program on the basis of ranks in CAT/ MAT exam.
Ph.D. Course Eligibility
NIT Calicut also offers research programs under thirteen specializations under four registration schemes, viz. Full-time, Part-time, Internal and External registration. The selection of candidates is done on the basis of the written test and/ or personal interview, Applicant must have a valid Master’s degree with minimum 60% in a relevant discipline from a recognized University.
NIT Calicut B.tech Cut off 2020
Mentioned below is the JEE Mains cutoff for admission to the B.Tech program at NIT Calicut:
|Specializations||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|Computer Science and Engineering||1,642||3,002|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||6,502||9,452|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||3,474||5,932|
|Materials Science and Engineering||15,475||25,260|
Check: NIT Calicut Cutoff
NIT Calicut Scholarships
NIT Calicut Scholarships are offered to deserving candidates, particularly to those from low-economic backgrounds or from reserved Categories. Following are some of them:
- Merit cum Means (MCM) Scholarship: Financial assistance is provided to poor and meritorious students belonging to minority communities. The family income must be less than INR 2.5 LPA. Recipient of this scholarship must not score less than 50%.
- E-Grantz: It is a web-based solution for timely disbursement of educational assistance to all post-metric students of SC, ST, OBC as well as economically weaker sections. The family income must be less than INR 1 lakh. Students must also maintain 75% attendance at the end of each month. Interested candidates can submit their application on the official website.
Check: NIT Calicut Scholarship
NIT Calicut Placements
NIT Calicut has a dedicated and efficient placement cell that offers Placements to candidates across well-known organizations and reputed companies. Top recruiters of the university include Amazon, Amdocs, Artifact, Ashok Leyland, Bajaj Auto, Capgemini, City Bank, Dell, HSBC, Intel, Infosys, L&T Ltd., Maruti, Oyo, Philips, Paytm, etc.
|Period||B.Tech (Students Placed)||M.Tech (Students Placed)||MCA (Students Placed)||MBA (Students Placed)||Total Companies visited||Total offers on campus|
|2016 - 17||490||99||14||7||117||642|
|2017 - 18||455||78||22||18||134||698|
Check: NIT Calicut Placements
NIT Calicut Faculty
The faculty at National Institute of Technology Calicut consists of 295 highly qualified members across its engineering departments, out of which 252 are Ph.D holders from reputed universities. The faculty members are all very accomplished and hold expertise and considerable experience in their respective disciplines. NIT Calicut Faculty includes professors, assistant professors, associate professors and others. All members are very interactive and cooperative with the students, and always stay available to students even outside of the classroom or lectures.
Check: NIT Calicut Faculty
NIT Calicut Facilities
Being one of the leading technical institutes in the country, NIT Calicut offers its students several provisions and facilities on campus. Some of these are as follows:
- Hostel: There are 11 boys hostels and 2 girls hostels that offer comfortable accommodation for up to 6000 residing students. All necessary facilities for recreation, food and internet are available.
- Sports: The institute has several sports grounds and courts for football, cricket, hockey, basketball, volleyball, badminton and lawn tennis separately.
- Health Care: The institute has a dedicated health center with qualified staff and medical facilities required by students, staff and faculty.
- Other: The other facilities provided to students on campus include transport provisions and a well-stocked library.
Check: NIT Calicut Hostel
NIT Calicut FAQs
Ques. Is NIT Calicut Good?
Ans. National Institute of Technology Calicut is ranked at 28th in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019, making it one of India’s prime engineering colleges. The institute offers several courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels. The college has a very qualified and accomplished faculty of about 300 members who are very experienced and hold expertise in their fields. The college offers several facilities such as health care, sports grounds for playing cricket and football. A Tennis court, Basketball court and Badminton court are also present. Several other sports such as Table Tennis, Athletics, Volleyball are also available for students. The separate hostel provisions feature uninterrupted water and electricity supply. Hostels have got internet facilities for students 24x7. Newspapers and magazines are put up in the common rooms. The institute also has a well-stocked library.
Ques. How are the placements at NIT Calicut?
Ans. NIT Calicut has a dedicated Training and Placement cell that assists students in becoming professionally trained and receiving placement opportunities from all over the country and abroad. In the academic session of 2018-2019, 472 students from the B.Tech programs were recruited by some of the most reputed companies. NIT Calicut recruiters include esteemed organizations and tech giants such as Arcesium India Pvt. Ltd., Arista Networks, Bajaj Auto, Capgemini, Goldman Sachs, Infosys, Intel, Larsen and Toubro, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Consultancy Services, Saint Gobain, Tata Motors, Reliance Industries Limited and many more.
Ques. How to apply for admission to B.Tech at NIT Calicut?
Ans. Candidates seeking admission to B.Tech and B.Arch courses can apply from the official portal of JEE Main. Students must note that NIT Calicut must be specified as the preference at the time of application. Candidates must be at least 17 years of age at the time of application. Once All India Rank is declared, candidates must apply through JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority) by choosing NIT Calicut as their preference. Various rounds of online seat allocation are conducted by JoSAA, followed by counseling at NIT Calicut. Foreign students can also apply through DASA (Direct Admission of Students Abroad).
Ques. How many seats are there in NIT Calicut for Civil Engineering?
Ans. 61 seats are allotted to students from Kerala and 62 seats are allotted to students from all over India.
Ques. Are there any seats reserved for the foreign nationals in NIT Calicut?
Ans. Almost 145 engineering seats are reserved for foreign students. Many foreign nationals are offered fellowships and scholarships to join Indian Institutes.
Ques. What is the highest and average package of NIT Calicut?
Ans. The highest package offered by the University is INR 50 LPA and the average package offered is INR 9 LPA.
Ques. Will there be any entrance test for the admission in Ph.D program at NIT Calicut?
Ans. No, there is no entrance test for the admission in Ph.D program. The candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria can take admission in Ph.D programme.Visit the official website to take admission nitc.ac.in
Ques. Which NIT is best for architecture?
Ans. Some of the reputed colleges for B.Arch courses are as follows:
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- National Institute of Technology, Patna
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
Ques. How much is the hostel fee for SC/ST students from Kerala?
Ans. The hostel fee for SC/ST students from Kerala is INR 5000.
Ques. What are the scholarships offered to students at NIT Calicut?
Ans. NIT Calicut offers several kinds of scholarships to students who wish to apply to the institution. The Scholarships are as follows:
- Students belonging to the economically weaker sections are eligible for fee concessions.
- Merit cum mean based scholarships are also awarded by the college to deserving students.
- Scholarship is awarded to the wards of ex servicemen.
- Scholarships for the wards of Riot affected.