Sastra University has started the registration process for admission to Ph.D. Program in various disciplines under a joint research work between SASTRA & IIT Kanpur. The last date to submit the application form is November 20, 2020. Sastra University has introduced 12 UG and PG degree programmes in online mode. Candidates can register for the newly introduced porgrammes till December 31, 2020.
Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy, popularly known as SASTRA University, is a deemed to be university in the town of Thirumalaisamudram. The university has a good placement for IT students with the highest salary package of INR 28 LPA in top recruiting companies like Microsoft, IBM, and TCS. As per the recent placements, Amazon recruited students with the highest salary package of INR 28 LPA and the average package that students got was INR 9.3 LPA. The lowest salary package offered to students was INR 3.8 LPA.
The university offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral degrees in various specializations. Admission to these courses is via JEE Main, CLAT, or GATE examination. There are also some courses where admission to students is given on the basis of merits obtained in the qualifying exams.
SASTRA University Important Dates
|Deadline for Ph.D. Registration||20 Nov, 2020|
|GATE Exam Date||05 Feb - 14 Feb, 2021|
|CAT Exam Date||29 Nov, 2020|
|Deadline for XAT Registration||30 Nov, 2020|
|XAT Exam Date||03 Jan, 2021|
|Introducing of 12 UG and PG Degree Programmes||26 Oct, 2020|
|Registration Deadline for newly introduced programmes||31 Dec, 2020|
SASTRA University Highlights
|Establishment | Type||1984 | Deemed to be University|
|Approved by||NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council)|
|Courses offered | Type||UG, PG, and Doctoral | IT, Law, Education, Science|
|Selection criteria||Merit and Entrance based|
|Accepted test scores||JEE Main, GATE, and CLAT|
|Campus area||30,00,000 square feet|
|Application mode | Fee||Online (Pen and paper-based) | INR 650/ INR 350|
|Top recruiters||Microsoft, IBM, and TCS|
|Location||Tirumalaisamudram Thanjavur Tamil Nadu|
|Official website | Contact||https://www.sastra.edu/ | +91 4362 264101|
SASTRA University Rankings
Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA University) is ranked in many categories by the popular ranking bodies like QS ranking. NIRF, World University Rankings, etc. Here are some recent rankings of the SASTRA University:
- SASTRA University is one of the institutions from India to feature in the Times Higher Education Ranking 2018 by the World University Rankings.
- Ranked among the top 350 Asian Universities by the World University Rankings.
- Ranked among BRICS Top 300 Universities in Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa by the QS University Rankings.
- Ranked among the Top 400 Asian Universities in QS Asia Ranking 2018.
SASTRA University Courses
SASTRA University offers various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Science, Engineering, Management, Education, Law, Computer Application, and Arts besides various Doctoral programs. Below are the details of all the major courses offered at the university:
|B.Com||Specializations: Banking, Financial Services, and Insurance, Computer Applications.|
|B.Com in collaboration with KS Academy||-|
|BBA||Specializations: Logistic Management|
|B.Ed||Subjects: English, Mathematics, and Physics.|
|B.Sc||Subjects: Mathematics and Physics.|
|B.Tech||Specializations: Aerospace, Bioengineering, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Chemical, Civil, Computer Science, Electrical & Electronics, Electronics & Communication, Electronics & Instrumentation, Information & Communication, IT, Mechanical, and Mechatronics.|
|Law||Courses: BA, LLB, B.Com, BBA, and LLB (Hons.)|
|M.Tech||Specializations: Advanced, Automobile, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Chemical, Communication Systems, Construction Engineering & Management, Instrumentation & Control, Medical Nanotechnology, Power Systems, Structural, Cyber Security, Embedded Systems, Material Science and Technology, Robotics, Thermal, etc.|
|M.Sc||Specializations: Biotechnology, Chemistry, Molecular Genetics, and Physics.|
|MFA||Specializations: Music, Yoga, Temple Architecture, Harikata, Vaishnavism, Shaivism|
|MA||Specializations: Sanskrit, Divya Prabhandam|
Streams: Arts, Science, Engineering, Management & Law.
Type: Full-time & Part-time.
SASTRA University Admission
SASTRA University UG Admission
- Applicants wishing to apply for UG courses should have passed class 12 with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized board.
- The application form is available on the official website of the university. The eligible applicants are required to download the form and fill it along with all the required documents and send it to the prescribed address.
- The selection is made on the basis of marks obtained in the last qualifying examination.
- For admission to the B.Tech program, the university accepts a valid score of the JEE Main Exam.
- For admission to Law courses, applicants must qualify CLAT Exam with a valid score.
SASTRA University PG Admission
- Applicants with a graduate degree in relevant discipline with at least 50% marks from a well-recognized university or institute are eligible to apply for PG courses.
- Admission to PG courses is based on marks obtained in the last qualifying degree.
- Applicants are shortlisted on the basis of their marks in the qualifying exams.
- For M.Tech admissions, applicants must qualify the GATE Exam with a valid score.
SASTRA University Ph.D. Admission
- The minimum eligibility to apply for the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program at SASTRA University is a PG degree in relevant discipline with minimum 50% marks.
- The admission criteria are the same as for UG, and PG courses are the merit of the last qualifying examination.
Read More: SASTRA University Admission
SASTRA University Fee Structure
The tuition fee for various courses at Sastra University is given in the table below:
|Programs||Tuition Fee (per semester)||Sports Fee||Development Fee||Others|
|B.Tech/ M.Tech (Integrated)||INR 65,000||INR 1,000||INR 10,000||INR 6,000|
|M.Tech||INR 70,000||INR 1,000||INR 10,000||INR 6,000|
|M.B.A.||INR 60,000||INR 1,000||INR 10,000||INR 6,000|
|B.Com. (CA)/ B.Com (BFSI)||INR 15,000||INR 1,000||-||INR 6,000|
|MCA||INR 40,000||INR 1,000||INR 10,000||INR 6,000|
|B.A., LL.B (Hons.) / B.B.A LL.B (Hons.) / B.Com., LL.B (Hons.)||INR 60,000||INR 1,000||INR 10,000||INR 6,000|
|M.Sc (5 Year Integrated)(Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry)||INR 20,000||-||-||INR 4,750|
|B.Sc., B.B.A, B.C.A, and B.Com||INR 15,000||-||-||INR 4,750|
|M.Com & M.Sc||INR 20,000||-||-||INR 4,750|
|B.Sc, B.Ed (Mathematics /Physics)/ B.A B.Ed (English)||INR 25,000||INR 1,000||INR 10,000||INR 4,750|
SASTRA University School
Given below are the names of all 12 schools run by SASTRAUniversity:
- School of Chemical & Biotechnology
- School of Civil Engineering
- School of Computing
- School of Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- School of Humanities & Sciences
- School of Management
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Law
- Centre for Advanced Research in Indian System of Medicine (CARISM)
- Centre for Nanotechnology & Advanced Biomaterials (CeNTAB)
- Distance Education
SASTRA University Faculty
The faculty of SASTRA University are qualified in their specializations with higher education degrees like Masters and Ph.D. Given below are details of some core faculty members currently working at SASTRA University:
- Rajan Ks
- Designation: Dean
- Qualification: Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) M.Tech. (Process Engineering & Design), and B.Tech. (Chemical Engineering).
- Specialization: Nanofluids, Process Intensification, Thermal Energy Storage
- Ponnusami V
- Designation: Associate Dean
- Qualification: Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) B.Tech. (Chemical Engineering), and M.B.A. (Finance management)
- Specialization: Environmental Engineering - wastewater treatment, waste management, biofuels. Fermentation, Enzyme production, Enzyme kinetics.
- Subramanyam B
- Designation: Associate Professor
- Qualification: M.E (Environmental Engineering & Pollution Control) and Ph.D. (Environmental Engineering)
- Specialization: Water and Wastewater Treatment.
- Designation: Professor
- Qualification: BE Electronics & Communication (Thiagarajar College of Engineering), MS Computer Science & Engineering (IIT Madras), and Ph.D. Computer Science & Engineering (IIT Guwahati)
- Specialization: Machine Vision; Machine Learning - Neural Networks, Deep Learning; Parallel Architectures - VLSI & Embedded Systems; Work Experience: 15 years of teaching & research experience at IITs and NTU Singapore.
- Srinivasa Kumar V
- Designation: Associate Professor
- Qualification: M.COM., M.Phil., and Ph.D.,
- Specialization: Financial Reporting Capital Restructuring Financial Performance Measurement system Volatility clustering model Project Budgeting.
Read More: Sastra University Faculty
SASTRA University Facilities
Research & Development
SASTRA has been recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Government of India. Currently, the university is engaged in research for various agencies like AYUSH, CSIR, CMRI, DBT, DRDL, DRDO, ISRO, DST, ICMR, etc.
DAKSH, the international techno-management festival, is an annual event comprising of a myriad of events involving all trades of engineering. Having started in 2007, DAKSH is running into its eighth edition now. DAKSH presents an opportunity to students from across the globe to display their techno-managerial skills while participating in a plethora of exciting events, assorted workshops, excellent power talks and social responsibility campaigns that are conducted over a period of three days in the month of February.
BIOTIKOS: While the old and fundamental sciences are being literally “researched” to pull out more and more facts and understand them in tremendous detail, there exists a section of research that concentrates on how to apply the results of the former to improve the quality of life on earth. BIOTIKOS activities happen year-round. It has the weekly TECH-FORUM sessions that serve as an excellent model of interaction between the juniors & seniors.
National Cadet Corps (NCC): NCC Organization - In view of the changing socio-economic environment, an exercise was undertaken by the Ministry of Defence to make aims of NCC in tune with the aspirations of the youth. Training Camps - NCC organizes training camps for students in rural and urban areas. Students who have not got the opportunity for community living, enjoy these camps the most.
- Prime Minister's Rally
- Annual Training Camp
- National Integration Camp
- Centrally Organized Camp
- Republic Day Camp
- Flag Hoisting Ceremony
Clubs & Activities
The various Student's Clubs of SASTRA - Literary Club, Auto Club, Oratory, and Debating Club, JAM Club, Fine Arts Club, Quiz Club, etc. conduct weekly meetings to bring out and develop the talents of the students. These clubs have helped SASTRA secure honors in various inter-college cultural competitions like SARANG, FESTEMBER, RIVERA, etc.DAKSH & KURUKSHETRA are SASTRA's National Level Annual Technical and Cultural festivals respectively and are conducted by the various student clubs.COLOSSEUM & FUERA are SASTRA's inter and intra college sports competitions.
Saraswathi Sadan, the library of the university is an architectural elegance over an area of about 47,000 sq ft with modern study area, audio-visual room, internet, and reprographic facilities.
- Saraswathi Sadan contains over 1,02,600 books valued at Rs 5.29 crores, the library subscribes to 290 journals and magazines related to Engineering, Management, Legal, etc.
- 11,000 scientific, technical & management journals and over 12,000 ASTM standards.
- The online databases like Scopus and MathSciNet provide access to bibliographic information from over 26,000 journals.
- It also subscribes to the PROQUEST Digital Dissertation database which provides full-text access to over 17,00,000 Ph.D. thesis and dissertations.
- SASTRA University Library has purchased over 18,000 Springer e-books from the various subject collections of the copyright year between 2005 and 2012.
- The Library also subscribes to eBrary which provides access over 73,000 full-text books.
SASTRA University FAQ
Ques. How are the placements of SASTRA University?
Ans. As per the reports of 2019 and 2018 placements, the placements at SASTRA University are overall good. Given below are the stats for the same:
2019 placement report
- Highest package - INR 28.5 LPA; Recruiting company: Amazon
- Lowest package - INR 3.6 LPA; Recruiting company: TCS
- Average package - INR 9.3 LPA
- Some well-recognized companies like Deloitte and Microsoft offered salary packages up to INR 7– 9.8 LPA.
- A total of 53 students got placed in the Deloitte with a salary package of INR 7.6 LPA.
2018 placement report
Top recruiters: TCS, Capgemini, Cognizant, Microsoft, IBM, etc.
Students with good command over C and C++ coding were given preference at the time of recruitment. Most of the students got recruited in the TCS company with a salary package of INR 4.25 LPA as their starting salary.
Companies like Microsoft and IBM offer a salary package of 10 LPA package but recruit about 5–6 students. Other highlights from the 2018 placements are as follows:
- Cyprus company selected 4 students with a salary package of INR 13 LPA.
- Zoho internship was offered at INR 6 LPA. A total of 20 people got selected for coding job profiles.
- Tata Communication offered INR 8 LPA.
Ques. Does SASTRA University provide hostel accommodation to its students?
Ans. Yes, the university provides hostel accommodation to its students. There are a total of 15 hostels for students, out of which 9 are for male students and 6 are for female students. The total capacity for boys is 4000 seats and for girls, it is 2400.
The hostels provide amenities for living, dining, and recreation which makes each inmate ‘feel like home’.
Read More: SASTRA University Hostel Fee
Ques. Who are the top recruiters of SASTRA University?
Ans. The top recruiters of SASTRA University are Lucas TVS Ltd., 'L' Cube Innovative Solutions Pvt. Ltd., Madras Aluminium Company (MALCO), Madras Fertilizer Ltd., Madras Homeo Laboratories, Mahindra & Mahindra, Manali Petrochemicals Ltd., Maruti Udyog Ltd., Mascon Global Systems Ltd., MICO, Microsoft Corporation, NALCO India Ltd., National Centre for Software Tech., Netel Chromatographs, Newgen Software Technologies Ltd., Sonata Software, SPIC Ltd., SRA Systems Ltd., etc.