IIT Kharagpur has 19 Academic departments, 8 multi-disciplinary centers and 13 schools of excellence. Under the UG domain, it offers B.Tech, Dual Degree (B.Tech+M.Tech), LL.B., and B.Arch programs. Under PG Domain, it offers LLM, Joint M.Tech, MBA, EMBA, MHRM, MMST programs. IIT KGP also offers Ph.D. and PDF courses in over 21 specializations along with M.Sc-Ph.D. and MCP-Ph.D. courses in integrated mode. Admission to the most of programs is done on the basis of national level entrances test like JEE advanced (B.Tech), JAM (M.Sc), GATE (M.Tech) and CAT (MBA). However for LLB and PGDBCA institute conducts its own entrance tests. For such programs, applications will be available online.
- For B.Tech. the candidates must produce a valid JEE Advanced score and participate in JoSAA counselling.
- For B.Arch, the candidate must appear for AAT (Architecture Aptitude Test) which is conducted along with JEE Advanced.
- For the M.tech. discipline, a valid GATE score is necessary and the final selection will be done through CCMT counselling.
- For M.Sc-Ph.D aspirants, a valid score of IIT-JAM is essential and they need to submit their scores for IIT JAM counselling for admissions. Check IIT Kharagpur Cut Off
- MBA and Executive MBA program are offered at VGSOM, a reputed B-School that falls under the umbrella of IIT KGP’s affiliation. It is located within the campus.
- Admission to the program is similar to that of its contemporaries- IITs and IIMs. CAT score shall be considered for shortlisting candidates for WAT and PI. Final selection will be based on the candidates’ overall performance.
- Large number of Experienced professionals have preferred VGSOM, after IIM Calcutta for the Executive Management program.
- Admission to the Ph.D. and the LLM program is done through a written test followed by an interview. Candidates’ past academic profile is also taken into consideration for the purpose of granting admission to these programs.
IIT Kharagpur was established in 1951 as an institute of National Importance by the Government of India. The NIRF ranked the institute at the 4th position under the category of engineering and at the 6th position under the discipline of Management. Internationally, the institute has been ranked 281 in the QS World University Rankings of 2020.
There were 1200+ offers made in 11 days during the placement season at IIT KGP. With 41 International offers, 19 offers from PSU’s , IIT Kharagpur started its placement marathon with a bang.
As every year, Computer Science and Engineering department bagged the highest average salary package of 30LPA+. However, Mechanical Engineering received the highest number of offers.
Google, Flipkart, JP Morgan, Tata Steel, Microsoft, Apple etc were amongst the top brands hiring IIT KGP Grads and Post Grads.
Know More: IIT Kharagpur Placements
IIT Kharagpur Admission Highlights 2020
|Name of Institute||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-KGP) Kharagpur|
|Institute Type||Central Institute of National Importance|
|Basic Admission Criteria||B.Tech/ B.Arch: JEE Main & Advanced (AAT for Architecture) followed by JoSSA Counselling|
|LL.B/ MMST/ PGDBA: Written Test and Interview|
|M.Tech: GATE followed by CCMT Counselling|
|M.Sc-Ph.D: IIT-JAM followed by CCMN Counselling|
|MBA / MHRM: CAT, Written Test and Interview|
|LL.M: Online Test+Interview|
|Ph.D.: Departmental Admission Test+ Work Experience+ Academic Record+ Interview|
|CCMN (M.Sc-Ph.D.) and National Level for other courses|