Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics or BA Mathematics in short is an undergraduate programme of three-year duration that is delivered over six semesters. The focus of the programme is to learn theoretical knowledge of the subject matter and also learn its applications in Arts and Humanities fields.
The eligibility criteria for admission into the programme is candidates to have a 12th level pass out certificate from a recognized board of education. A minimum aggregate score of 50% is required for admission, from Science and Commerce streams with Mathematics subject. Admission is done on the either basis of merit or entrance examinations in some colleges.The average course fee charged for BA Mathematics programme is in the range of INR 1 lac to INR 3 Lakhs in the top ranked colleges. Candidates are hired as Teachers, Economist, Researcher, Statistician etc. in both private and Government organizations. The average placement package is in the range of INR 2.5 Lakhs to INR 7 LPA.
|Top BA Mathematics Colleges in Maharashtra||Top BA Mathematics Colleges in Delhi|
|Top BA Mathematics Colleges in West Bengal||Top BA Mathematics Colleges in Hyderabad|
Table of Contents
Some of the major highlights of the course have been tabulated below.
|Eligibility||Passing class 10+2 in Science or Commerce stream with Maths as a compulsory subject with a minimum 45% marks from a recognized board.|
|Admission process||Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 1 LPA to INR 3 Lakhs|
|Average salary||INR 2.5 LPA to INR 7 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Colleges and Universities, Banks and Financial Institutions, Private and Government organizations, Engineering firms, Research firms.|
|Job Positions||Accountant, Teacher, Researcher, Statistician, Aerodynamics Specialist etc.|
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics is a three year long undergraduate programme that specializes in Mathematics.
- Candidates need to be 12th class pass out in either Science or Commerce with Mathematics subject to be eligible for admission.
- Admissions is done through merit through cut off lists or through entrance examinations and personal interview rounds.
- Students learn and develop advanced skills in mathematical methods, reasoning, and problem solving in three major subject areas – Analysis, Algebra and Statistics.
- The course essentially involves the study of the science of space, time, quantities, measurements, shapes and numbers, and their relationships with each other.
- Candidates upon graduation are hired as Accountants, Statisticians, Researcher, Technical Writers etc. Higher education options include MA in Mathematics, MBA etc.
BA Mathematics: Why Study the Particular Course?
While the reasons to study a BA Mathematics degree will depend on the individual, there are some reasons for pursuing the degree that will appeal to all. Reasons why the degree must be studied are as follows.
- Career options: For anyone who wishes to pursue a career in Statistics, Research, Education etc. having a BA Mathematics degree is helpful. Statistics is useful in popular careers like Big Data which is gaining traction in recent times. One can also work as teachers and professors in schools and colleges educating the future generation.
- Government and private jobs: Graduates are hired in both Government and private organizations. Government jobs are popular for their job security and regular pay increments while in private organization jobs there are immense opportunities for career growth.
- Pay grade: There are a number of job profiles that ask for candidates with a BA Mathematics degree that offer a higher pay grade. Pay grade will depend on the organization and on the requirements of the job profile.
What is the BA Mathematics Admission Process?
BA Mathematics course admits students either on merit basis or on the basis of an entrance examination. The top ranking colleges and universities consider the 10+2 level aggregate score and admit students based on cut offs. The details of the merit based admission are as follows.
- Registration: When admission opens up every academic year, registration dates are announced in advance. If a candidate meets the cut offs then registration for admission can be done. Create a profile on the university’s website using essential details like email id, phone number and correspondence address.
- Fill up details: Once a profile has been created, log in and fill up the application form. Enter all details including 10th and 12th level aggregate scores and any other achievements.
- Scan and upload documents: Documents like mark sheets and other certificates need to be scanned and uploaded on to the portal. The documents must be in a specific format and size to be accepted into the portal.
- Application Fee: A minimal application fee needs to be paid in order to process the application. Payment can be done using all major online payment methods.
- Admission: Once the application has been submitted, the university or college will take a few weeks to process the application. If the candidate is approved, a letter of admission is offered and the candidate can now take admission.
What is the BA Mathematics Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for admission into BA Mathematics will be different from college to college. The minimum eligibility criteria that is applicable to be admitted to the top colleges are as follows.
- Candidates must be a 10+2 level pass out from a recognized board of education.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% plus must be scored.
- The stream of education at 10+2 level must be Science or Commerce with Mathematics.
BA Mathematics: How to get Admission in a Good College?
With a number of colleges offering BA Mathematics courses, it can be hard choosing which college to take admission in and which ones to apply to. To help with the decision process, the following pointers can be referred to.
- Keep track of college and university rankings posted annually by ranking agencies. Ranks are updated annually.
- Read through cut off lists posted by the colleges. Cut off lists and admission dates have deadlines post which fresh cut offs are released.
- Deadlines for admission and application for colleges must be read and kept track of. Dates are announced in advance and one must make sure no dates are missed.
- Read daily affairs and latest national and international news regularly. For admission through entrance examinations, most papers have a general knowledge and daily affairs section.
- Contact seniors of colleges one is contemplating for admission. Take reviews and get doubts cleared up before admission to learn more.
Also, check out the entire list of the colleges providing BA Mathematics in India
What is the BA Mathematics Syllabus?
The actual syllabus for the BA Mathematics programme is different from college to college. The major topics covered each semester in the programme are as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Classical Algebra||Modern Algebra|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Differential Calculus||Differential Equations|
|Integral Calculus||Vector Analysis|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Statics||Solid Geometry 3D|
Which are the BA Mathematics Top Colleges?
The top rankings colleges that offer BA Mathematics programmes at the undergraduate level, as per NIRF’s Overall and Best College rankings, are as follows.
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees|
|University of Delhi||New Delhi||INR 3,630|
|Visva Bharati||Santiniketan||INR 6,650|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||INR 74,500|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 67,200|
|Miranda House||New Delhi||INR 12,160|
|Gargi College||New Delhi||INR 8,055|
|Fergusson College||Pune||INR 9,245|
|Indraprastha College for Women||New Delhi||INR 6,000|
|Kamala Nehru College||New Delhi||INR 10,500|
BA Mathematics: College Comparison
The top three universities that offer BA Mathematics programmes at the undergraduate level and the differences between all three are as follows.
|Parameters||University of Delhi||Visva Bharati||Lovely Professional University|
|Overview||Also called Delhi University, is a public university with a number of affiliated colleges. It is located in New Delhi.||This is one of the finest universities of India located in Shantiniketan and was founded by the world famous Nobel Laureate, Rabidnrantah Tagore.||This is one of the largest private universities from Punjab. It was established in 2005.|
|Rank||NIRF: 18||NIRF: 69||NIRF: 99|
|Average Fee||INR 3,630||INR 6,650||INR 67,200|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4 LPA||INR 3.5 LPA||INR 2.89 LPA|
B.Sc. Mathematics vs BA Mathematics:Which is Better?
Courses that are related to and often referred to when talking about a BA Mathematics degree is B.Sc. Mathematics. The difference between the both are as follows.
|Parameters||B.Sc. Mathematics||BA Mathematics|
|Overview||This is a three year long UG programme that requires candidates to be Science graduates.||This is a three year long UG course where candidates from Commerce can also apply.|
|Focus Area||Focus is on application in Science fields of Physics, Chemistry and Biology.||Focus is on application in Arts and Humanities streams.|
|Eligibility Criteria||12th level pass out in Science stream with at least 50% aggregate score from a recognized board of education.||10+2 level pass out with Mathematics subjects and with at least 50% aggregate score from a recognized board of education.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit basis and Entrance Exams basis||Merit Basis|
|Average Course Fee||INR 3,000 to INR 3.5 Lakhs||INR 3000 Lakhs to INR 3 Lakhs|
|Average Placement Package||INR 3 LPA to INR 5 LPA||INR 2.5 LPA to INR 7 LPA|
What are the BA Mathematics Job Prospects and Career Options?
Upon graduating with a BA Mathematics degree, candidates choose to go into the job market and look for a suitable job profile or enroll in a higher education programme. Job options are numerous in a wide area of job areas, both Government and Private sectors.
BA Mathematics graduates are hired to various job profiles in both private and Government organizations. The description of the most popular job profiles along with the average pay of each profile are as follows.
|Job Profile||Overview||Average salary|
|Accountant||An Accountant is hired onto record and maintain financial statements of organizations. End of the financial year statements are also prepared by them.||INR 2.5 LPA|
|Aerodynamics Specialist||Aerodynamics Specialists are hired to plan, design, construct and maintain aircraft and other space crafts. They conduct research to understand the best materials and equipment for manufacture.||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Teacher||Teachers are hired in Schools and Colleges to teach students. They plan and teach Mathematics as a subject and also conduct exams.||INR 2 LPA|
|Statistician||Statisticians are hired to deal with large amounts of data to identify patterns in them and predictions for others to work on.||INR 4 LPA|
What is the BA Mathematics Future Scope?
Many candidates choose to also study in higher postgraduate level programmes in place of looking for a job. The most popular higher education programmes are as follows.
- MA Mathematics: The first choice of higher education is to enroll into a Master of Arts in Mathematics. It is a two year long postgraduate programme that teaches Mathematics subjects and its applications on various Arts and Humanities fields. The course expands onto the bachelor’s level material and allows for students to specialize in a chosen field of study. A summer internship is also mandatory during the first year and a thesis is done at the end of the second year.
- M.Sc. Mathematics: Master of Science in Mathematics is a two year long postgraduate programme that is another popular choice of further education. The point of difference for M.Sc. Mathematics and MA Mathematics is that the former finds its applications in Science fields like Physics, Chemistry, Biology etc. Admissions are done through entrance examinations and a personal interview round.
- MBA: If one wishes to delve into the management field, candidates can consider enrolling into an MBA programme. Admissions is on the basis of a national level examination like CAT, XAT or MAT. Upon qualifying the entrance exam, a round of group discussion and a personal interview is conducted. Candidates can get to specialize in Finance, Marketing, Hotel Management etc.
- Competitive Exams: Competitive exams like SSC and SSC CGL are attempted by many candidates in India to be recruited into Government jobs. Preparations need time and effort and are attempted by lakhs of students each year.
BA Mathematics FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of the programme?
Ans. The duration of the programme is three years i.e. six semesters long.
Ques. Can I apply for MSc Mathematics after completing BA Mathematics?
Ans. Yes you can but you need to at least score an aggregate of 60% marks in your UG exam.
Ques. What is the course fee for the BA Mathematics programme from a private university?
Ans. The average course fee is in the range of INR 1 Lakhs to INR 3 Lakhs.
Ques. Can I get a job after BA Mathematics?
Ans. Candidates can get hired as Teachers, Statisticians, Economist, Accountant etc.
Ques. What are some higher education programmes a BA Mathematics graduate can choose?
Ans. The popular choices of higher education are MA Mathematics, M.Sc. Mathematics, MBA or prepare for competitive examinations.