BE Civil Engineering is a 4 year undergraduate engineering degree course. This course deals with the construction, design and maintenance of structures such as bridges, canals, tunnels, buildings, waterworks, airports etc.
Students must have cleared their 10+2 level examinations with physics, chemistry and mathematics subjects for admission to the BE Civil Engineering course.
Admissions in Top BE Civil Engineering Colleges are on the basis of entrance examinations like JEE Main and JEE Advanced. The average course fees for the program range between INR 1,00,000 and INR 7,00,000 in public institutes and between INR 3,00,000 to INR 15,00,000 in private engineering colleges.
Alternative Course: All About BTech
The average placement package that can be expected by fresh graduates of BE Civil Engineering usually ranges between INR 3,00,000 and INR 7,85,000 and are hired as Civil Engineers, Transportation Engineers, Water Resource Engineers, Structural Engineers, Environmental Engineers etc.
After completion of BE Civil Engineering course, one can opt to enroll in MTech in Civil Engineering, MBA or PGDM, Law programs etc.
What is the BE Civil Engineering Admission Process?
The most popular engineering entrance exams in the country are JEE Main and JEE Advanced, which are required for admission into primarily public universities. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance exams. The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Registration: Registration dates are announced days before by the institute. An account needs to be created with basic details like email-id, phone number, etc.
- Fill up details: Fill up the application form with all necessary details with care. Care must be taken to ensure all details are accurate and correct.
- Submit documents: Scan and upload all required documents like mark sheets. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Application fee: A minimal application fee is to be paid online during the submission of the application form. Payment can be done by all online payment modes.
- Download admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Examination: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the BE Civil Engineering course.
What is the BE Civil Engineering Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for BE Civil Engineering aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from institute to institute.
- Candidates must have cleared their 10+2 level examinations with physics, chemistry and mathematics subjects.
- The qualifying aggregate score required in 10+2 levels is at least 50% and above.
- Candidates who have a diploma in mechanical or in allied sciences, done after class 10th, are also eligible for admission.
Which are the popular BE Civil Engineering Entrance Exams?
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the BE Civil Engineering program.
Listed below are some of these popular BE Civil Engineering entrance exams.
JEE Main: JEE Main examination is conducted by NTA at the national level. It is held in the month of January and April of each year for admission into undergraduate engineering programs. It is an online examination, conducted over three hours and the paper is of 360 marks.
JEE Advanced: JEE Advanced, previously known as IIT JEE, is the second phase of the JEE Main examination. The conducting agency is IIT Delhi. It is also an online examination that covers physics, chemistry, and mathematics. The duration of the paper is 3 hours.
BITSAT: BITSAT is the engineering entrance examination to BITS Pilani. The online examination is held to fill up over 2,000 seats at the university. It is the second most popular examination after JEE Main. Candidates must have scored an aggregate score of 75% at the 10+2 level with PCM and 60% individually in each of the subjects.
WBJEE: WBJEEB conducts the exam to grant admission to students in undergraduate Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Pharmacy courses offered by the colleges in West Bengal.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Exam name||Registration Date||Date of exam|
|JEE MAIN||December 15, 2022 – January 12, 2023 (Phase 1)
February 7, 2023 – March 7, 2023 (9 PM) (Phase 2)
Phase 1: January 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 2023
|JEE ADVANCED||April 30, 2023 – May 04, 2023||June 04, 2023
Paper 1: 09:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Paper 2: 02:30 PM – 05:30 PM
|WBJEE||December 23, 2022 (OUT) – January 8, 2023 (Tentative)||April 30, 2023|
|MHT CET||February 10, 2023 – May 15, 2023 (Tentative)||June 15, 2023 to June 20, 2023 (Tentative)|
|BITSAT||2nd week of February 2023 – 2nd week of May 2023||3rd week of June 2023|
How to prepare for BE Civil Engineering entrance examinations?
To help candidates prepare better and efficiently for the entrance examinations, the following pointers can be referred to.
- Prepare a timetable for studying. Include each topic in every subject and stick to the timetable. This will ensure the entire syllabus is covered at least once. Allocate time daily to studies.
- Clear up the basics. The basics will form the base for the more advanced chapters later on. A strong understanding of the basics will be useful.
- Practice, practice, practice. Engineering entrance examinations are all about practice. Take mocks and attempt as many as sample papers as possible.
- Allocate time separately for the more difficult topics. If needed, approach a teacher or a tutor to help go over the topics again.
- Many toppers recommend depending on the NCERT books of the 10+2 levels. One must be thoroughly clear with the school books before purchasing more books.
How to get admission in a good BE Civil Engineering college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked BE Civil engineering college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams. Some papers are comparatively easier to attempt than the others. This will help in better preparation.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Revision of all basic concepts must be done.
- Some papers have an English section and an Aptitude section. Preparation for these sections can be by practicing past papers.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
- Take a look at the daily news and affairs of the world regularly. Keeping up to date with the news will help in preparation for the exam and counseling round but also act as a break from studying.
BE Civil Engineering: What is it about?
Information and details about the BE Civil Engineering program are as follows.
- Civil engineering is a practice of developing and designing infrastructure projects. This can either be on a wider scale or on a smaller scale.
- All features of constructing a structure fall under the work of a Civil Engineer. This includes designing, planning, surveying, budgeting and analyzing.
- The pedagogy of this course includes a mixture of lectures and lab work. Emphasis is also given on working as a team, which is considered a key skill for this course.
- Civil engineering is a blend of many scientific areas. Study of these core elements will heavily eyed in the initial years of this course.
- Civil engineering skills are powerfully rooted in science and mathematics. A high level of expertise is required in these subjects in order to predict the performance.
BE Civil Engineering Course Highlights
Highlights for BE Civil Engineering program are provided in the table given below:
|Full form||BE Civil Engineering|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 from a recognized board with science stream|
|Admission process||Entrance exam and a round of counselling|
|Average Course fee||INR 3,00,000 to INR 15,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 7,85,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||L&T, TATA Consulting Engineers Ltd, Schlumberger, Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd, Jacobs Engineering, Maytas Infra Ltd, Land Transport Authority, Jacobs Engineering, Shapoorji Pallonji|
|Job Positions||Structural Engineers, Geotechnical Engineers, Site Engineers, Construction Engineers, Lecturer/Professor etc.|
Why Study BE Civil Engineering?
The goal to attain a BE Civil Engineering degree will depend on each individual’s aspirations and goals. Some of the reasons to pursue this course are as follows.
- Reputed profession: Civil engineering is a high demand field where skilled graduates are able to find open job positions immediately. It is one of the oldest and most reputable engineering divisions. Any student with the passion to excel in the field will find success soon.
- High pay: Average packages for BE Civil Engineering graduates are on the higher side for both private and public organizations. The work of a civil engineer involves initiating, planning, overlooking, and completing public infrastructure projects. Given the scale of work, the pay is also on the higher side.
- Career opportunities: A civil engineer is able to pursue a diverse array of career opportunities. There is no limit to educational programs one can choose. From law, management to competitive examinations to get employed in Government organizations, the sky's the limit.
- On completion of this program, students will be able to get handsome salary packages ranging between INR 3,00,000 and INR 7,80,000 depending on candidate’s expertise in the field.
- Civil engineers work in all the major construction projects taken up by the state or central government, private construction companies, the railways, engineering services, military, consultancy services, etc.
- Candidates can further pursue PG courses such as M.Tech., Master of Engineering courses
BE Civil Engineering vs BTech Civil Engineering
The course comparison between BE Civil Engineering and BTech Civil Engineering is as follows. Also check out the top BTech Civil Engineering Colleges in India.
|Parameters||BE Civil Engineering||BTech Civil Engineering|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Focus Area||It is a theory-oriented course and deals with the study of structures like buildings, bridges, roads, dams, canals, etc. The course is usually offered by public institutes.||It is an application and skill-based course that deals with the study of creating structures like buildings, bridges, roads, dams, canals, etc. It is usually offered by universities, both public and private.|
|Admission Criteria||State or national level entrance examination.||State-level or national level entrance examination score.|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with at least 60% aggregate score with PCM subjects.||10+2 with at least 60% aggregate score with PCM subjects.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 1,00,000 to INR 6,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Job Options||Civil Engineer, Architect, Technical Officer, Manager, Business analyst, Assistant Executive Engineer, etc||Civil Engineer, Transportation Engineer, Water Resource Engineer, Structural Engineer, Environmental Engineers, Civil Engineering Technicians, etc|
|Areas of Employment||Civil Engineering companies, Water resources, Engineering Transportation companies, Tunnel Engineering companies||Irrigation companies, construction, and structural engineering companies, land development, urban development, etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 3,00,000 to INR 7,80,000||INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top BE Civil Engineering Colleges?
The table below shows the best BE Civil Engineering colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|Name of the College/ University||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|CEG, Anna University||INR 50,000||INR 5,00,000|
|Jadavpur University||INR 2,400||INR 3,00,000|
|JMI, New Delhi||INR 10,850||INR 4,50,000|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering And Technology||INR 3,24,800||INR 7,00,000|
|BITS Pilani||INR 4,23,475||INR 6,00,000|
|BITS Ranchi||INR 3,29,000||INR 10,00,000|
|SSN College of Engineering||INR 50,000||INR 5,71,000|
|P.S.G College of Technology||INR 87,000||INR 4,00,000|
|RIT Bangalore||INR 66,806||INR 3,75,000|
|TCE Madurai||INR 50,000||INR 3,20,000|
Source: College Websites
BE Civil Engineering College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the three top BE Civil Engineering colleges in India.
|Parameter||CEG Chennai||Jadavpur University||JMI New Delhi|
|Objective||The College of Engineering, Guindy is one of the top engineering colleges in the country and is affiliated to the Anna University.||Jadavpur University is one of the prime universities of India that offers UG, PG and Ph.D courses through its Departments and Affiliated Colleges||Jamia Millia Islamia is a central University, established in 1920 at Aligarh which later shifted to Delhi in 1925. This university offers a large number of programs at the UG, PG and research level.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||9||17||28|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 50,000||INR 2,400||INR 10,850|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 5,00,000||INR 3,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Microsoft, Mastercard, Societe Generale, Uber, ABB India, Airbus Engineering Centre India Pvt. Ltd., Altair Engineering Pvt. Ltd., ASC Infrastructure, etc.||AFCONS Infrastructures LTD., Alstom Transport India Ltd., Applied Materials, A.M. Marketplaces Pvt. Ltd.||ABPS Infrastructure Advisory, Ambica Steels Ltd., Applied Materials, Ashok Leyland, etc.|
Source: College Websites
What is the Syllabus of BE Civil Engineering?
The subjects taught for the BE Civil Engineering program are almost similar in most of the engineering colleges. The syllabus for the entire BE Civil Engineering course is as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Engineering Mathematics-I||Engineering Mathematics-II|
|Engineering Physics||Engineering Physics/ Engineering Chemistry|
|Engineering Chemistry||Basic Electrical Engineering / Basic Electronics Engineering|
|Systems in Mechanical Engineering||Programming and Problem Solving / Engineering Mechanics|
|Basic Electrical Engineering / Basic Electronics Engineering||Engineering Graphics (Engineering Drawing)|
|Programming and Problem Solving / Engineering Mechanics||Project-Based Learning|
|Workshop||Physical Education-Exercise and Field Activities|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Building Technology and Architectural Planning||Geotechnical Engineering|
|Mechanics of Structure||Survey|
|Fluid Mechanics||Concrete Technology|
|Engineering Mathematics III||Structural Analysis|
|Engineering Geology||Project Management|
|Awareness to civil Engineering Practices / Road Safety Management / Foreign Language||Project-based learning|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Hydrology and Water Resource Engineering||Advanced Surveying|
|Infrastructure Engineering and Construction Techniques||Project Management and Engineering Economics|
|Structural Design-I||Foundation Engineering|
|Structural Analysis-II||Structural Design-II|
|Fluid Mechanics - II||Environmental Engineering-I|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Environmental Engineering II||Dams and Hydraulic Structures|
|Transportation Engineering||Quantity Surveying, Contracts, and Tenders|
|Structural Design and Drawing III||Elective – III|
|Elective - II|
List of Electives – I and II
- Structural Design of Bridges
- Systems Approach in Civil Engineering
- Advanced Concrete Technology
- Architecture and Town Planning
- Advanced Engineering Geology with Rock Mechanics
- Matrix Methods of Structural Analysis
- Integrated Water Resources and Planning
- TQM & MIS in Civil Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Advanced Geotechnical Engineering
List of Electives – III and IV
- Advanced Structural Design
- Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Hydropower Engineering
- Air Pollution and control
- Finite Element Method in Civil Engineering
- Construction Management
- Advanced Transportation Engineering
- Statistical Analysis and Computational Methods in Civil Engineering
- Plumbing Engineering
- Green Building Technology
- Ferrocement Technology
- Subsea Engineering
- Wave Mechanics
Which Books Can I Refer to While Pursuing BE Civil Engineering?
Tabulated below are some of the BE Civil Engineering subject books that can help students to have a broader and better understanding of the course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down (Paperback)||J.E. Gordon|
|Structural Analysis (Hardcover)||Russell C. Hibbeler|
|Civil Engineering Formulas (Pocket Guide)||Tyler G. Hicks|
|The Civil Engineering Handbook (New Directions in Civil Engineering)||Wai-Fah Chen|
|Why Buildings Fall Down: Why Structures Fail (Paperback)||Matthys Levy|
What are Job Prospects and Career Options after BE Civil Engineering?
- The civil engineering field has limited job opportunities in comparison to fields like IT or Software. Civil engineers are hired in many different sectors of the industry from oil and energy, petroleum to chemical and power facilities, etc. Some engineers are also able to secure jobs in sectors like banking, consulting, and software, etc.
- A career as a Civil Engineer offers several lucrative job avenues in both the public and private sector. Some popular options include railways, consulting firms, defense force, and municipal corporations.
Some of the most common job profiles that a BE Civil Engineering student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Structural Engineers basically design, supervise and plan the construction of infrastructural projects. They also take care of modification and addition to existing properties or structures||INR 4,80,000|
|Geotechnical Engineers||The Chief responsibility of Geotechnical Engineers is to build projects and find solution to the problems||INR 3,60,000|
|Site Engineers||To take responsibility for health, security, safety, organizing, supervising material and people working at the site. They are part of the site management team.||INR 3,20,000|
|Construction Engineers||To plan, supervise, direct large construction projects. They act as leaders on construction projects and safeguard the smooth functioning of the project.||INR 3,80,000|
|Lecturer/Professor||The main job of a Lecturer/ Professor is to impart knowledge of subjects related to Civil Engineering||INR 4,20,000|
Source: College Websites
What are the Future Scopes of BE Civil Engineering?
The Civil Engineering graduates can prefer to do jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher studies. The most popular choices of education on completion of a BE Civil Engineering degree are as follows.
ME: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a ME Civil Engineering. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BE or BTech in Civil Engineering. This is one of the most popular masters engineering programs and admissions are highly competitive.
Check out the Top ME Civil Engineering Colleges in India.
MBA: A large number of engineering graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test. Having a BE Civil Engineering degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
Check out top MBA Colleges and PGDM Colleges in India.
Competitive examinations: Another route that graduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
BE Civil Engineering FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to the BE Civil Engineering program are as follows:
Ques. What is the course duration of BE Civil Engineering?
Ans. The BE Civil Engineering has a course duration of four years which is further divided into eight semesters.
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for admission to BE Civil Engineering course?
Ans. Yes, there are a few entrance exams conducted for admission to the BE Civil Engineering. Some of the top ones are JEE Main, BITSAT, SRMJEEE etc.
Ques. What is the educational qualification required for admission to the BE Civil Engineering course?
Ans. For admission to the BE Civil Engineering course, candidates must have passed 10+2 or an equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics with a reasonably high percentage of marks in the aggregate and clearing the different national and state level entrance exams.
Ques. What is the admission procedure for admission to the BE Civil Engineering program?
Ans. Few colleges admit students on the basis of merit whereas few colleges conduct their own entrance exams. Candidates are advised to check the college website to learn about a particular college’s admission process.
Ques. What is the average fee for the course BE Civil Engineering program in Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ans. The average annual fee to pursue this program ranges from INR 3,00,000 to INR 15,00,000 depending on the college/ university one is seeking admission to.
Ques. Being a Civil Engineer, how will the post-graduation specialization in Structural Design help me to get a good job in the Government sector?
Ans. Structural Engineering holds the maximum number of seats in Government service exams. Persons with good command on the subject have a better chance of cracking the exams and to be recruited to senior most positions.
Ques. Name the top companies that I can opt for to pursue an internship in India?
Ans. The choice of company for internships majorly depends on the sector you want to join after completing your course. Following is the list of some top companies of different sectors related to civil engineering:
Structural Engineering/Geo-technical Engineering:
- Indian Railways
- Public Works Department
- Real Estate Companies
- National Highway Authority of India
- Public Works Department
- Airport Authority of India
- Public Health Department
- Municipal Committee of any city
- H&R Johnson Tiles
- Townships/Real Estate Developers
Ques. What should I choose after completion of a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering? Post-graduation or Job?
Ans. Civil Engineering degree holders can go for various advanced courses in Drafting and Design, Structural Design and Surveying. They can also go for a job in the relevant sector. It basically depends on the candidate's interest that they want to do the job or they want to study further. However, job options are considered beneficial after a postgraduate degree.
Ques. What is the work of a Civil Engineer?
Ans. Civil Engineers are usually deputed in building, supervising, operating, constructing and designing projects in the public and private sector. They also take projects including roads, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment.