BE Information Technology is a 4 year Under Graduate course in the domain of computer science with a specialization in the area of Information Technology and its related aspects. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at 10+2 or equivalent level.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology
- Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology
- PES University
The fee for the course varies between INR 55,000 to 4, 25,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
BE Information Technology course admissions involve a mix of Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at 10+2 or equivalent level. Colleges/Universities offering admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of National level common entrance exams like JEE Main, JEE Advance etc while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like BITSAT).
The course is a specialized engineering program in the domain of computer and Information Technology. The motive of the course is to provide students sufficient knowledge and skills that they would be requiring to channelize their learning in a practical sense when they enter the job market.
IT Engineers have a wide range of opportunities to choose from in terms of job opportunities. One can choose to work with firms such as Flipkart, TCS, Google, Syntel, etc. After completion of graduation, one may pursue further studies like M.E. and M.Phil in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR 15,000 to 20,000 a month for a fresh graduate in the discipline.
BE Information Technology: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||4 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 55,000 to 4.25 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 15,000 to 20,000 a month|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Flipkart, TCS, Google, Syntel, Amazon|
|Job Position||Database Administrator, IT System Manager, System administrator, Technical Trainer, Software developer, Project lead etc.|
BE Information Technology: What is it about?
Information technology as a specialized sub-domain of computers science focuses on the application of the acquired computer science concepts. It mainly deals with the application of computer systems for storing, studying, transmitting, and manipulating available data or information.
Today where data is like gold and the domain of computer science application is spreading to a vast extent, none of the sectors of the economy has left untouched form the effect of IT. With a healthy contribution to country’s service sector GDP, IT industry is seen as one of the carriers of the economy.
What this booming IT sector has fueled is the demand for qualified technical professionals who can take various roles in the industry. Over the years this has resulted in IT becoming the most sought after branch of engineering among aspirants.
BE Information Technology course is aimed at transforming engineering aspirants into qualified professionals who are capable of meeting the demands of the industry both technically and academically. The course achieves this aim through a carefully crafted and structured academic curriculum.
BE Information Technology: Top Institutes
Bachelor’s course in Information Technology is offered by many reputed colleges and universities across the country. Colleges are offering this course to candidates who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examination from a recognized state or central board.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology||Chandigarh||INR 55,850|
|Aditya Engineering College||Beed||INR 55,500|
|Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology||Delhi||INR 61,750|
|Jadavpur University||Jadavpur||INR 2,745|
|RV College of Engineering||Bangalore||INR 76,750|
|BMS College of Engineering||Bangalore||INR 85, 000|
|PES University||Bangalore||INR 2,80,000|
BE Information Technology: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the major subjects of study.
- For candidates who are looking for Lateral entry admissions into the 2nd year of the course, it is mandatory to have passed all the respective examination in the respective domain.
- He/She shall not be having any supplementary or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at 10+2/Diploma level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like JEE Main). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
BE Information Technology: Admission Process
Admission to the course involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as a merit-based selection process (in select few institutes/colleges).
- Students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examinations with a minimum of 55% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into B.E courses (like BITS) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like JEE Main. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
BE Information Technology: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into eight semesters spread over a span of four years with end semester examination being held at the end of each semester. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and technical skills that students are taught during the course of their B.E.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so, as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Introduction to Programming||Mathematics- 2|
|Physics-1||Data structure and algorithm|
|Basic Electronics||Digital logic and Circuits|
|Engineering Mechanics||Communicative English|
|Electrical Circuits||Electrical measurements|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Object-oriented Programming||Object-oriented Systems|
|Principles of Communication||Microprocessors|
|Computer graphics||Computer Networks|
|Computer architecture||Numerical methods and Optimization Techniques|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Multimedia coding and communications||Design and analysis algorithms|
|Wireless networks||Cryptography and network security|
|Graph Theory||Distributed system algorithms|
|Web Technologies-1||Web Technologies-2|
|Principles of Computer Design||Formal language and automata|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Elective-2||Distributed system and applications|
|Seminar||Digital Signal Processing|
|Minor Project||Project and Viva-Voce|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
BE Information Technology: Who Should Opt for?
Students who have interest in Information technology studies.
- Those who have interest in software testing.
- Those who are looking for a career in IT domain.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
BE Information Technology: Career Prospects
Information Technology engineering undergraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Database Administrator, IT System Manager, System administrator, Technical Trainer, Software developer, Project lead etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where IT undergraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Database Administrator||The job involves one to store and organize data through the use of specialized ICT tools and software.||INR 1.80-2.22 Lacs|
|IT System Manager||The job involves management and coordination of the officials along with supervision and oversight of hardware and software installations in the firm.||INR 2.40-2.90 Lacs|
|Project Leader||A project leader is synonyms to the captain of the ship. He/she holds, manages and leads the team involved in any project towards its completion.||INR 2.55-2.95 Lacs|
|Technical Trainer||A Technical trainer is involved in the training and skilling of new recruits into the firm.||INR 2.45-2.73 Lacs|
|Software developer||This job involves coding and structuring of software programs for various devices and interface.||INR 2.28-2.92 Lacs|