Bachelor of Arts in Hindi, better known as BA Hindi, is a 3 year long undergraduate level bachelor degree course in Hindi. This course includes the subjects like communication skills, history of Hindi literature, contemporary Hindi literature, etc. It is one of the most popular undergraduate language courses after BA English.
The basic eligibility for this course is completing 10+2 from a recognized board or university. The candidates must study Hindi as a compulsory subject at 10+2 level to be eligible for this course. Though minimum marks required vary from college to college, most of the reputed colleges demand minimum 50% aggregate marks at 10+2 level.
Key Highlights of BA Hindi
- Full-Form: Bachelor of Arts in Hindi
- Duration: 3 years
- Eligibility: 10+2 with Hindi as a compulsory subject.
- Admission Process: Merit-based
- Top Entrance Exam: BHU UET
- Top Colleges: Miranda House, Delhi, Hindu College, Delhi, St. Stephens College, Delhi, Hansraj College, Delhi.
- Average course fees: INR 10,000 to INR 50,000.
- Distance Education: Available
- Distance Education Institute: IGNOU, Delhi, Nalanda Open University, Patna.
- Average course fees of Distance Education for BA Hindi: INR 2,000 - INR 10,000.
- Job Options: Senior customer service representative, Hindi news anchor, voice artist, ace writer in Hindi, Hindi newspapers/magazines editor, etc.
- Average Salary Package: INR 2,00,000 - INR 3,00,000
- Area of Employment: Schools and Colleges, Government Offices, Journalism and Media industry, Entertainment Industry, etc.
- Higher Study Options: MA, PhD, BEd, MEd
Most of the colleges grant admission to this course on the basis of marks obtained at the 10+2 level. Though very few institutes like BHU conduct their own entrance exam to grant admission to the course.
The average cost for pursuing BA Hindi is INR 8,000 – INR 25,000 while the exact fees varies from college to college.
Nearly all the top colleges in India offer this course. We have mentioned some of the top colleges according to NIRF College Ranking Survey 2020 in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|1||Miranda house||Delhi||Merit based||INR 14,160||INR 4,20,000|
|3||Hindu College||Delhi||Merit based||INR 17,310||INR 4,50,000|
|4||St. Stephens College||Delhi||Merit based||INR 37,285||INR 6,50,000|
|6||Loyola college||Chennai||Merit based||INR 14,292||INR 5,50,000|
|9||Hans raj college||Delhi||Merit based||INR 18,200||INR 6,00,000|
This course can also be completed through distance learning mode from many reputed colleges and Universities. Reputed open universities like IGNOU, Nalanda Open University, etc provide this course through distance learning mode. The average annual fees for studying BA Hindi through distance learning is INR 2,500.
This course will not only cover the basics of Hindi language like communication skills, Hindi literature, writing skills, etc but, this course will also dwell into the advanced level of Hindi literature like contemporary and modern Hindi Literature, different kinds of poetry in Hindi language, among others.
After completing this course, the candidates can find jobs in the fields of Journalism, web content writing in Hindi, teaching, among others. Along with these, the candidates can also be offered job roles like senior customer service representative, Hindi news anchor, voice artist, ace writer in Hindi, Hindi newspapers/magazines editor, etc.
The average starting salary after completing this course generally lies between INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,50,000 depending on the skills of the candidates.
If a candidate wants to go for higher studies, he/she can pursue MA in Hindi. After completing MA, candidates can do further higher studies by completing PhD. If the candidate wishes to go into the teaching profession, then such candidates can enroll themselves in BEd courses after completing MA.
BA Hindi Admission Process
Admission process is very simple for this course. Most of the colleges grant admission on the basis of merit. But, very few colleges conduct entrance exams for granting admission to the course.
- 10th class mark sheet
- 12th class mark sheet
- 12th class original pass certificate/ provisional pass certificate
- Character certificate
Most of the colleges grant admission to this course on the basis of marks secured by the candidates in the qualifying examination. Colleges like Miranda House, Hindu College, etc which comes under Delhi University generally follow the below discussed admission procedure:
- Step1: Log on to the official website of College/University and register yourself in order to get the login credentials i.e. user ID and password.
- Step2: Once you have logged into your Admission account, read all the instructions carefully before starting.
- Step3: Fill the different fields in the application form i.e. personal information, academic information, course preference, etc.
- Step4: Upload all the documents that are needed including proof for date of birth, photograph, class 10 & 12 mark sheets, character certificate, transfer/ migration certificate, passport size photograph and category certificate (if applicable).
- Step 5: The College/university will prepare a merit list of top candidates.
- Step 6: After shortlisting of candidates, the shortlisted candidates will be called for counselling and document verification.
- Step 7: Candidates found eligible will be granted admission to the course.
BA Hindi Eligibility Criteria
- The student must complete 10+2 from a recognised board with Hindi as a compulsory language.
- It is not necessary that students should study 10+2 in Arts stream only. Students from any stream are allowed.
- Many reputable colleges demand for a minimum 50% aggregate marks in 10+2 to be eligible for this course.
- The minimum aggregate marks required for admission to Delhi University colleges are 45%.
BA Hindi Entrance Exams
- BHU UET- It’s an under graduate entrance test conducted by the Banaras Hindu university for admission of the students in courses offered by the college. BHU UET is also conducted in paper based test mode as well as computer based mode.
- JSAT- JSAT is conducted by the JGU as a screening test for the admission in undergraduate programmes. It is an online based exam which consists only of 120 MCQs. The total duration of this exam is 3 hours. The MCQs covers Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability. Each correct answer contains 1(one) mark and there is no negative marking.
- JNUEE- Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam conducted by the National Testing Agency. It contains both subjective and objective type questions (based on the program). The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Application Date||Exam Mode|
|JSAT||JGU||23 July 2020||Upto July 05, 2020||Online|
|JNUEE||NTA||Postponed. New dates yet to be announced||Upto June 30, 2020||Online|
|BHU UET||BHU||Postponed. New dates yet to be announced||Upto March 12, 2020||Online|
*All the colleges extended entrance exam dates as the countrywide lockdown has been extended.
*Due to COVID 19 all exams are expected to be held online.
Also check the full list of top BA Entrance Exams in India.
How to Prepare For the BA Hindi Entrance Exams?
BA Entrance exams generally contain subjects like Quantitative Aptitude (QA), Verbal Ability (VA), Logical Reasoning (LR), General ability (GA), and Current Affairs (CA).
- Most of these examinations will be conducted in computer based mode.
- There will be around 100-150 questions in the exam.
- Most of these questions will be multiple choice questions (MCQ).
- The duration of the exam conducted will be around 2 to 3 hours.
To perform well in these exams, a student can follow the below given tips:
- You will have to always prepare yourself for conceptual questions. You will also have to solve them fast.
- Focus on the more theoretical part, because most of the students tend to forget many important theories on the day of examination.
- Study NCERT textbooks thoroughly. In NCERT, try to read the conceptual topics, formulas, derivations, and learn how to apply them to solve problems.
- Lastly you need to score as per the cut-off list of the specific college
How to Get Admission in Top BA Hindi Colleges?
- Your 10+2 percentage should be very good if you want to take admission in a very reputed college.
- Though the cutoff for this course is comparatively lesser than other BA courses, still the best colleges like Miranda House, Hindi College, etc generally have cutoff scores in the range of 85-95%.
- For the colleges which take admission through entrance exams, you will need to score at least more than 70% marks in the exam to be on the safer side. This may even increase, depending on the competition.
- Be updated with the deadlines of filling the application forms through websites, newspapers and magazines.
- Practice previous years papers to improve your time management skills at the time of entrance exams.
Check the full list of Top BA Hindi colleges in India.
BA Hindi: What is it About?
- In this course you get to understand the entire Hindi language, its history and evolution, grammar and literature.
- The course is divided into 6 semesters, 2 semesters each year.
- By pursuing this course, the candidates can learn Hindi Communication skills - both oral and written, different forms and dialects of the Hindi language, proper grammar of the language, etc.
- Not only this, the BA Hindi course also dwells into the detailed study of various Hindi Literature - both prose and poetry, its history and evolution.
- BA Hindi Syllabus can vary according to the different colleges. Some colleges also teach translation of Hindi into their regional languages.
BA Hindi Course Highlights
Some of the most important points about BA Hindi Course are tabulated in the table below.
|Full form||Bachelor of Arts in Hindi|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Hindi as a compulsory subject|
|Admission Process||Merit based.|
|Average tuition fee||INR 8000 – INR 25,000|
|Average salary||INR 1,50,000 – INR 2,50,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Media houses, Schools and Colleges, IT sector companies, Newspapers and magazines, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Teachers, Hindi news anchor, voice artist, ace writer in Hindi, Hindi newspapers/magazines editor, etc.|
BA Hindi: Why that particular course?
- Hindi Language can have lots of scope in future: As we all know, Hindi is one of the major languages in India. Nowadays, many IT companies want to launch their products in regional languages, and for that, Hindi is their first choice. So, Hindi graduates are in demand for these companies, which is expected to increase in future.
- Relatively Lower Cutoffs: This course has relatively lower cutoffs compared to the other undergraduate courses. So, getting admission to this course is relatively easier.
- Different types of job opportunities: Candidates completing this course will get a variety of job opportunities. Some of them are teachers, Hindi news anchor, voice artist, ace writer in Hindi, Hindi newspapers/magazines editor, etc.
- Lesser load of study: It does not take much load of studies. If you want to do a part time job as well, you can do it comfortably, and you can manage both studies and work together very easily.
Both BA Hindi and BA Hindi Literature are important courses in the field of Hindi. We have compared these two courses in the detail in the table given below:
|Parameter||BA Hindi Literature||BA Hindi|
|Overview||This course involves a detailed study of Hindi literature only. It does not involve much study of communication and writing skills. It also does not dwell deep into the grammatical part.||This course not only involves the study of Hindi literature, but it also involves detailed study of communication and writing skills, and Hindi grammar.|
|Eligibility||10+2 qualification or diploma in Hindi literature or equivalent qualification.||The student should be 10+2 as well as with Hindi as main subject in +2.|
|Admission Process||Merit based||Merit based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 - 25,000||INR 8,000 – INR 25,000|
|Job profile||Editor Hindi, Hindi Translator, Part Time Trainer – Hindi, Assistant Professor - Hindi Journalism, Data Entry Operator, Tele-caller Hindi etc.||Editor, Proofreader, Writer, Researcher, senior customer service representative, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 6 lakh||INR 2 to 3 lakh|
Source : College Websites
Also, check the full list of top BA Hindi Literature colleges in India.
BA Hindi Top Colleges
BA Hindi is a common course which is offered by almost all the top colleges providing Arts colleges in India. In the table given below, we have enlisted top 10 such colleges, according to NIRF Ranking 2020.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|1||Miranda House||Delhi||INR 14,160||INR 4,20,000|
|3||Hindu College||Delhi||INR 17,310||INR 4,50,000|
|4||St. Stephen’s College||Delhi||INR 37,285||INR 6,00,000|
|6||Loyola College||Chennai||INR 14,292||INR 5,50,000|
|9||Hans Raj College||Delhi||INR 18,200||INR 6,00,000|
|17||Madras Christian College||Delhi||INR 18,719||INR 3,00,000|
|19||Kirori Mal College||Delhi||INR 12,345||INR 5,10,000|
|43||Indraprastha College for Women||Delhi||INR 32,100||INR 7,00,000|
|64||Stella Maris College||Chennai||INR 2,400||INR 1,80,000|
|90||St. Xavier’s College||Mumbai||INR 94,800||INR 4,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Miranda House, Hansraj College and Hindu College are not only the three top colleges under Delhi University, but also among the best colleges in India. We have compared these three colleges in the table given below:
|Parameters||Miranda House||Hansraj College||Hindu College|
|Overview||Miranda house is a women's college under Delhi University. It is a very old college which was established in 1948. It has been consistently ranked first amongst the top colleges in India by the NIRF Ranking survey for quite a few years now.||The Hansraj college is currently one of the largest colleges under Delhi University with more than 3,000 students. It has also been ranked consistently under top 10 colleges in India by the NIRF Ranking survey.||Hindu College is one of the oldest colleges in India which was established in 1899. It is affiliated to Delhi University and offers a plethora of UG and PG courses. It has been consistently ranked amongst the top 5 colleges in India by NIRF Ranking survey.|
|NIRF 2020 Ranking||1||9||3|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 14,160||INR 18,200||INR 17,310|
|Average Annual Package||INR 4,20,000||INR 6,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||HDFC bank, HCL, Genpact, Essar steel, DHL express, etc.||Audit, Advisory, Hospitality, Airline, etc||Google, HDFC bank, KPMG, Maruti, etc|
Source : College Websites
BA Hindi Distance Education
Some renowned open universities of India provide this course through distance learning mode. We have provided information about these universities in the table below:
|University Name||Location||Duration||Average Course Fees|
|IGNOU||Delhi||3 years||INR 2,400|
|Nalanda Open University||Patna||3 years||INR 2,400|
|Venkateshwara Open University||Naharlagun||3 years||INR 6,500|
Admission to these universities is done on the basis of marks scored by the candidates in the previous qualifying examination.
Check the admission process of IGNOU in detail.
BA Hindi Syllabus
Some subjects can be different according to the different colleges.But the common subjects taught during its 6 semesters are given in the table below:
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Communication skills||Reading literature|
|Critical reasoning, writing and presentation||Reading on Indian constitutions, secularism and sustainable environment.|
|Communications skills in other languages||Translation and communication in Hindi|
|Prose and one- act plays||Translation theory and practice|
|History of Hindi literature (Adikal and Madhyakal)||History of Hindi literature (Adhunik kal- Gadya)|
|Hindi literature in Kerala||Literature of Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam ( Hindi translation)|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Literature and contemporary issues||History and philosophy of science|
|Literature in other languages||Culture and civilization|
|General informatics and computer application in Hindi.||Drama and theatre in Hindi|
|Applied grammar||Perspectives of humanities and languages and methodology|
|History of Hindi literature (Adhunik kal- padya)||Correspondence and secretarial practice in Hindi|
|Comparative literature||Environmental studies|
|SEMESTER 5||SEMESTER 6|
|Linguistics||Modern poetry in Hindi|
|Contemporary Hindi literature||History of Hindi language|
|Indian literary thoughts||Novel and short stories in Hindi|
|Poetry (Ancient and Medical); Prosody and Poetics||Western literary thoughts|
|Open course spoken Hindi/ business/ Interpretation||Elective course Journalism and Mass communication/ Folk literature/ Radio broadcasting|
|Project - literary translation||Project - literary translation|
BA Hindi Job Prospects and Career Options
A candidate who has completed BA Hindi generally works as Hindi Content Writer, Journalist, Web Content Writer, Credit Manager, Teacher, Senior Customer Service representative, Hindi News Anchor, etc.
Some of the most lucrative BA Hindi job profiles are described in the table below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Teacher||A teacher is responsible for preparing lesson plans and educating students at all levels.||INR 3,00,298|
|Customer care executive||Serves customers by providing product and service information and resolving product and service problems.||INR 2,90,658|
|Journalist||Journalists write and assemble together news stories that will interest their audience.||INR 2,93,372|
|Hindi content writer||A content writer handles the ideation and creation of compelling contents.||INR 2,42,137|
|Reporter||Reporter is responsible for delivering updates and analysis on current events with the main goal to keep the public updated.||INR 3,08,756|
|Translator||Translators work with the business, legal, technical and scientific written materials.||INR 5,51,295|
BA Hindi Future Scope
- A BA Hindi graduate can either apply for jobs or go for further studies according to his wish.
- If he wants to go for further studies, he/she can pursue MA in Hindi. After completing MA, candidates can do further higher studies by completing PhD.
- If the candidate wishes to go into the teaching profession, then such candidates can enroll themselves in BEd courses after completing MA. They can even go for an MEd or PhD in the field of education as well.
- These candidates can even enter Journalism and go on to study Bachelor and master degree in journalism. Some of them even go for a law degree like LLB.
- These candidates even have a huge scope of working abroad as they can work as translators for foreign nationals. For that, many students do certification courses in various foreign languages.
BA Hindi FAQs
Ques. What are the benefits of the BA Hindi programme?
Ans. BA Hindi program has many benefits. It is an easy course, so a student will have a lot of time to do a part-time job. After completing the course, the candidate will be able to work 8n different fields like teaching, content writing, journalism, etc.
Ques. What are the different carrier options available after BA Hindi programme?
Ans. Hindi news anchor, voice artist, ace writer in Hindi, Hindi newspapers/magazines editor, IPS officer, Navy, Army, Indian administrative service, Banking sector, etc.
Ques. What is the average fee structure of the top most colleges in India?
Ans. The average fees for the BA Hindi course is INR 8000 – INR 25000 per year.
Ques. After completing the BA Hindi programme what can I do in higher studies?
Ans. Journalism, Hotel management (HM), Bachelor of education (B.ED), Master of business administration, Master of Arts Hindi,Fashion designer, Master of Arts in information technology, Master of education (MED), LLB.
Ques. Can I do a part time job along with the BA Hindi programme?
Ans. Yes of course, as there is no much burden of studies in this course, it is comparatively easier than the other courses.