BSc Cardiovascular Technology is a 3-year degree program that deals with diagnosing and monitoring diseases related to the heart and the circulatory system.
Check Top BSc Cardiovascular Technology Colleges in India here.
In this program, students will get familiar with various complex procedures such as performing stent implants, setting up cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators in the treatment of heart diseases.
The BSc Cardiovascular Technology syllabus includes subjects such as Human Anatomy, Cardiovascular System, Physiology, Pathology, Electrocardiography and Echocardiography.To be considered eligible to apply to this course, students must have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 50% marks.
Admission to this course will be done either on the basis of the candidate's performance in the entrance test or on the basis of performance in the qualifying examination.
The average course fee to pursue this course ranges between INR 25,000 and INR 5,00,000.
BSc Cardiovascular Technology degree holders will be able to find work in various sectors such as Hospitals, Universities, Health organizations etc.
They may also serve as Cardiovascular Technician, Cardiovascular Technologist, Medical Sonographer, etc. Graduates have the opportunity to work in India or Abroad to pursue graduate studies and to get involved in research activities.
The average BSc Cardiovascular Technology salary can be from INR 4,00,000 to INR 20,00,000, depending on student’s skills and the type of college offering the course.
After completing this course, students can pursue higher studies and advanced academic exploration along with research through MSc and Certificate Courses. Students can also pursue MBA, PGDM courses. These courses essentially provides a solid basis for further studies and related prospects.
Also check top MSc Colleges in India.
BSc Cardiovascular Technology Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Cardiovascular Technology|
|Duration||3 years + 1 year compulsory internship|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent with minimum 50% marks in Biology, Chemistry and Physics|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 25,000 - 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 - 20,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Heart Institute, Fortis Escorts Heart Institute & Research Centre, Max Healthcare, Wockhardt Hospitals, Sakra World Hospital, Narayan Hrudyalaya, Global Hospitals, Artemis Hospital, Sri Sathya Sai Heart Hospital, Christian Medical College, Asian Heart Institute|
|Job Positions||Cardiovascular Technician, Cardiovascular Technologist, Echocardiographer, Medical Sonographer, Registered Cardiac Sonographer, Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist, Registered Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist, Registered Vascular Specialist, Cath Lab Technician, ICU-|
BSc Cardiovascular Technology: What is it about?
Read the points given below to know what BSc Cardiovascular Technology course is all about:
- BSc in Cardiovascular Technology deals with various topics on the vascular or the circulatory system.
- Through this course, one gets to learn about the arteries, veins and the blood vessels that carry blood throughout the human body. These blood vessels are also instrumental in delivering oxygen and essential nutrients to the body tissues.
- With the help of this course one gets to learn about the various cardiovascular diseases that affect the human body.
- This course also helps a cardiovascular technologist or technician to learn about the various procedures and tests while assisting the physician in diagnosing and treating a patient ailing from heart disease.
- Some of the complex procedures that a student learns in this course are implanting of stents and setting up a pacemaker. They learn through this course, both invasive as well as non-invasive procedures in the treatment of heart diseases.
BSc Cardiovascular Technology is a prestigious and popular stream of study in the field of allied health sciences. This field of study has a lot of importance and applications as it concerns directly with the treatment of heart diseases. Let us see here some of the reasons why one should study B.Sc Cardiovascular Technology.
- With more and more people suffering from heart diseases because of many factors including lifestyle, genetics and environment, the importance of this field of study is ever increasing.
- Cardiologists and other heart surgeons greatly depend upon the services and support of cardiovascular technologists and technicians for carrying out various complex procedures on patients suffering from heart ailments.
- With congenital heart diseases too on the rise, that is those that are prevalent in patients from birth itself, there is an increased awareness among different walks of people about the risks associated with such heart diseases. This in turn, further brings the field in limelight, as people are more likely to avail the services of a cardiovascular technologist.
- The numerous advances in the medical field in this domain has been a boon for patients and the medical fraternity alike. With rapid advances in the field, the services are getting more and more affordable, with many availing such services.
What is the Admission Process for BSc Cardiovascular Technology?
The BSc Cardiovascular Technology Admission Process can vary as per the university rules and regulations. Some universities grant admission to students to this course based on merit. Some of the top-most Indian universities prefer conducting entrance exams to grant admission to qualified candidates.
The admission procedures followed in the Indian universities for admission to BSc Cardiovascular Technology course are given below.
In merit-based admission, the universities offering BSc Cardiovascular Technology programs grant admission to students based on their marks obtained in the graduation level.
The steps of the entrance-based admission are provided below:
- Step 1 - Students are required to register themselves by entering their mobile number and email address. Afterwards, a login id will be generated
- Step 2 - On creation of login id, candidates are required to fill the application form with the required information correctly.
- Step 3 - In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates etc.
- Step 4 - On uploading the documents successfully, students have to pay the requisite amount of application fee online.
- Step 5 - Based on the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Step 6 - After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates have to sit for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
- Step 7 - In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Step 8 - Successful candidates will then be allotted seats to the respective institutes.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to BSc Cardiovascular Technology?
The minimum eligibility criteria for students who want to pursue a BSch Cardiovascular Technology course from Indian universities are given below:
- The candidate should have passed Class 12 with Biology, Chemistry and Physics as the main subjects. Those with an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution are also eligible.
- The candidate should have scored an aggregate of at least 50% marks in 10+2.
- Those who have appeared for the qualifying exam and are awaiting for the results are also eligible to apply.
- The candidate should be at least 17 years of age at the time of admission.
- Some colleges insist on having English as one of the primary subjects.
- For lateral entry, the candidate should have passed a 2-year diploma course in Cardiac Care Technology or an equivalent course.
BSc Cardiovascular Technology Entrance Exams
Some of the Top BSc Cardiovascular Technology Entrance Exams are:
- SUAT: This exam is conducted by the Sharda University for students seeking admissions to the various courses offered at the institute. It is conducted online. Students can apply online for the same.
- APEAMCET: This examination is conducted for admission to various UG and PG courses in institutes located in Andhra Pradesh. Students are required to apply online and the exam is conducted offline at the various University centres.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below:
|Name of the Exams||Registration Dates||Exam Dates|
|NPAT||December 01, 2022 – May 21, 2023||January 04, 2023 – May 31, 2023|
|CUET||April 2023||May 21 – 31, 2023|
|CUCET||November 28 - May 29, 2023||November 28 - May 30, 2023|
|SET||December 10 – April 12, 2023||May 06, 2023 (Test 1)
May 14, 2023 (Test 2)
How to Prepare for BSc Cardiovascular Technology Entrance Exams?
Some of the important points that candidates can keep in mind while preparing for BSc Cardiovascular Technology entrance exams are given below:
- Syllabus: Students must go through the syllabus of the course and mark all the important topics from syllabus
- Revise important topics: Revise all the important topics from the syllabus. Make sure to solve all questions that are related to the important topics.
- Practice Previous Year’s Question Papers: Solve previous year’s question paper so that you can get use to the question and it will also help in increasing your speed as the exam will be in online mode
- Mock Test: Candidates can solve and give the online mock test at the official website. It will increase efficiency and speed and will boost up your confidence.
How to get Admission in a Good BSc Cardiovascular Technology College?
Cardiovascular Technology is one of the allied health science professions that is very much in demand these days. To get admission to this undergraduate course, the candidates should follow the steps as given below.
- Admission to BSc Cardiovascular Technology is based on the candidates’ performance in the qualifying exam. So, it is important that the candidates should do well in their 10+2 exam. In no case, the aggregate marks of the candidate should be less than 50%.
- To get admission to this allied health science course, it is essential that you should have studied biology along with physics and chemistry in 10+2. See to it that you have opted for biology while taking admission in class 11 science stream, if you are seeking a career in this field.
- The above course is in English and it is required that the candidates should be well-versed in the English language. Most colleges insist on English as one of the primary subjects in 10+2. See to it that you have opted for English as one of the subjects.
- Those with a 2-year diploma in cardiovascular technology can take lateral admission to the second year of this degree course.
- Group discussions and personal interviews test the candidate’s interpersonal skills, communication skills and passion for the relevant medical field.
- Students should apply to as many leading colleges as possible to increase their probability of getting admitted to a good one.
What are the Subjects Covered in BSc Cardiovascular Technology Syllabus?
BSc Cardiovascular Technology follows an annual semester of exams, instead of semester wise. Some of the popular subjects and topics that are covered in this 3-year course are given below:
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year|
|Human Anatomy||Advanced Electrocardiography||Cardiac Catheterization Part I – Introductory course|
|Anatomy of Cardiovascular system||Exercise ECG||Cardiac Catheterization Part II|
|Physiology||Echocardiography||Cardiac Catheterization Part III - Pacing and Electrophysiology|
|Pathology and Pathophysiology||Holter Recording||--|
|Pharmacology and Therapeutics||--||--|
|Fundamentals of Computer||--||--|
Which books to study for the BSc Cardiovascular Technology program?
Some of the important books that students can refer to while pursuing BSc Cardiovascular Technology program are given below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Textbook of Cardiovascular Technology||Lynn Bronson|
|Your Career in Cardiovascular Technology||Roberta C. Weiss|
|Essential Cardiac Technology||Laurence W Piller|
BSc Cardiovascular Technology vs BSc Cardiac Technology
BSc Cardiovascular Technology and BSc Cardiac Technology are both undergraduate degree courses of a comprehensive nature. But there are subtle differences between the academic curriculum of these two-degree courses. Also check top BSc Cardiac Technology colleges here.
A comparison between the two courses is given below in a tabulated form for better understanding along with their respective fee and expected salaries :
|Parameters||BSc Cardiovascular Technology||BSc Cardiac Technology|
|Course||Bachelor of Science in Cardiovascular Technology||Bachelor of Science in Cardiac Technology|
|Duration||3 Years + 1 year internship||3 Years + 1 year internship|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with Biology, Physics, Chemistry and minimum 50% in aggregate||10+2 with Biology, Physics and Chemistry|
|Course Overview||Bachelor of Science in Cardiovascular Technology is an undergraduate course in the field of allied health sciences, where the students are taught about various invasive and non-invasive procedures in the treatment of patients with heart diseases. The course leads to a job in hospitals and other healthcare institutions, where they will be assisting the physicians in treatment of patients with heart diseases.||Bachelor of Science Cardiac Technology is a similar course that leads to an undergraduate degree in Cardiac Technology. After completion of this course, one can practice as a cardiovascular technologist or technician as well.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 25,000 - 5,00,000||INR 50,000 - 4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 - 20,00,000||INR 5,00,000 - 15,00,000|
|Recruitment Sectors||Hospitals, Clinical Laboratories, Nursing Homes, Healthcare Institutions etc.||Diagnostic Centres, Cardiology Hospitals, Physician’s Lab etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Cardiovascular Technologist, Echocardiographer, Medical Sonographer, Cath Lab Technician, Cardiovascular Technician etc.||Cardiac Care Technician, Cardiographic Technician, Cardiac Care Technologist, Cardiac Technician etc.|
Several universities across India offer BSc Cardiovascular Technology course. Some of the top universities among them are given below in a tabulated form along with their respective location, average annual fee, and NIRF ranking :
|Name of the College||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|MAHE, Manipal||Merit-Based||INR 2,30,000|
|KMC, Mangalore||Merit-Based||INR 2,30,000|
|SIMATS, Chennai||Merit-Based||INR 1,45,000|
|MMU, Ambala||Merit-Based||INR 83,500|
|SVIMS, Tirupati||APEAMCET||INR 27,700|
|HITS, Chennai||Merit-Based||INR 57,500|
|SU, Greater Noida||SUAT||INR 1,26,000|
|Galgotias University, Greater Noida||Merit-Based||INR 60,000|
|Sushant University, Gurgaon||Merit-Based||INR 1,28,120|
|Government Medical College, Kozhikode||Merit-Based||INR 19,960|
College Comparison for BSc Cardiovascular Technology
The comparison of the top three Indian universities offering BSc Cardiovascular Technology program is given below in a tabular form along with their average annual fees, and average placement package offered:
|Parameters||MAHE, Manipal||KMC, Mangalore||SIMATS, Chennai|
|Overview||MAHE offers various UG, PG and Research courses like BTech, MCA, MD, B Arch, and many more in the fields such as medical, architecture, dentistry, engineering, hospitality, management etc.||KMC is a deemed institute which is located in Mangalore. This institute offers a large number of programs at the UG, PG and the research level.||Saveetha University offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses in various disciplines like Medicine, Dental Surgery, Engineering, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Law and Management.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||14||21||66|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,30,000||INR 2,30,000||INR 1,45,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 7,52,000||INR 7,00,000||INR 5,78,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Hospitals, Universities, Health organizations etc.||Hospitals, Universities, Health organizations etc.||Hospitals, Universities, Health organizations etc.|
What are the Career Options and Job Profiles Available After Completing a BSc Cardiovascular Technology?
There are a large number of job options available to BSc Cardiovascular Technology degree holders. Some of the prominent ones are given below:
- On completion of this degree, students can work in Hospitals, Universities, Health organizations etc. as a Cardiovascular Technician, Cardiovascular Technologist, Medical Sonographer etc.
- There are a large number of private and government organizations which offer jobs to BSc Cardiovascular Technology degree holders.
Some of the job options available to students after completing this course are mentioned below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Cardiovascular Technologist||A Cardiovascular Technologist is responsible for various activities with respect to monitoring and carrying out various tests on patients with issues related to the heart and the circulatory system. They also handle and maintain the equipment, maintain documents, do the necessary paperwork and keep a tab on the patients’ condition.||INR 7,00,000|
|Cardiac Sonographers||A Cardiac Sonographer uses the facility of ultrasound for examining valves, vessels and the heart chambers. Through images called echocardiograms, they assess the functioning of the heart. They also assist the cardiac specialist in placing a tube in the esophagus of a patient for obtaining ultrasound images.||INR 6,00,000|
|Vascular Technologist||Vascular Technologists or Specialists help physicians in diagnosing disorders in the circulatory system. They listen to vascular flow sounds and evaluate parameters such as blood flow rate in the arteries and the veins and the pulse rate. They also carry out tests to determine parameters such as blood pressure, oxygen saturation, vascular blood flow, etc.||INR 8,00,000|
|EKG Technician||EKG Technicians are cardiovascular technicians who perform tests such as electrocardiograph. They attach electrodes at various locations on the body such as arms, legs and chest of the patient. The interpretation about the test report is however done by the physicians. Some of the technicians are also capable of setting up Holter monitors.||INR 5,00,000|
|Echocardiographic Technician||Also termed as Echo-Technicians are specialised in forming the images of a patient’s heart through echocardiography. They assist cardiologists to come up with the right diagnosis.||INR 4,70,000|
What is the Future Scope After Completing a BSc Cardiovascular Technology Course?
After completing the BSc Cardiovascular Technology program students can choose from a variety of options like pursuing further studies or looking for jobs in areas like teaching, laboratory work and scientific research.
- Higher Studies: Students can pursue higher studies in the subject that they have studied and are most interested in. For example, MS Cardiothoracic Surgery, MSc in Cardiovascular Technology etc.
- Research Work: Students interested in academic and scientific research can work with research teams at the institutes or prepare research projects of their own. Research grants are sanctioned for projects that show impressive progress.
- Certification/Diploma Courses: Certification or short-term diploma courses like a Medical Assistant Diploma can give one the required qualifications to start working in medical jobs.
- Jobs: After completing the course, the options include becoming a school teacher, a lab technologist or a Lab Technician.
- Internships: Some institutes give the students opportunities to pursue internships along with studying the course. Internships can help the students with learning more about their field and earn the experience that may be required at the successive job.
BSc Cardiovascular Technology FAQs
Ques. What is the minimum qualification to pursue a BSc Cardiovascular Technology course from Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ques. Do I need to appear for an entrance test for getting selected to the BSc Cardiovascular Technology program?
Ques. What is the total duration of the BSc Cardiovascular Technology course? Are there any internship requirements after the test is completed?
Ques. Are there any postgraduate courses in the field of Cardiovascular Technology?
Ques. What is the selection process for admission to the BSc Cardiovascular Technology program?
Ques. What is the medium of instruction for the course BSc Cardiovascular Technology?
Ques. What are some of the common job profiles in this field?
Ques. What is the average salary that one earns from this field as a fresher?
Ques. What are the industries where one can look for work as a Cardiovascular Technician?
Ques. Is the role of a Cardiovascular Technologist a challenging one?