BTech Dairy Technology is a 4 year undergraduate engineering degree course. This course equip students to learn all aspects of processing and manufacturing of dairy products.
This program involves training students in production, processing, and quality control of dairy-related products. It also focuses on new methods that are discovered to manufacture different milk by-products such as cheese, ice-creams, etc using scientific technology and engineering machinery and tools.
B.Tech Course Details:
Students who have passed Class 12 in Science stream from a recognized board are eligible to apply for admission to the BTech Dairy Technology course. Almost all the top engineering institutes in the country admit students on the basis of entrance examinations like JEE Main and JEE Advanced. There is also a round of counseling held after qualifying the entrance examinations.
There are a large number of government and private institutes that offer this course. The average course fees for the program ranges between INR 2,000 and 5,00,000 in engineering colleges in India.
Dairy Technology degree holders will be able to get hired in public and private organizations in positions like Dairy Scientists, Dairy Equipment Repairer, Dairy Managers and Dairy Consultants etc.
BTech Dairy Technology jobs include plenty of jobs in various sectors like Mother Dairy, Amul, Nestle, Reliance and Hindustan Unilever etc.
The average salary that can be expected by fresh graduates of BTech Dairy Technology usually ranges between INR 3,00,000 and 8,00,000.
After completion of BTech Dairy Technology course, one can opt to enroll in MSc Dairy Technology, MBA or PGDM, Law programs, Govt. jobs etc.
If the student wants to do higher studies then MTech, MS and MBA are the popular destinations. MTech helps students to have a good career in the academic field. Learn More: All About BTech
BTech Food Technology Course Highlights
Highlights for BTech Food Technology program are provided in the table given below:
|Examination Type||Semester System / Year-wise|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 55% marks in science subjects|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Mother Dairy, Amul, Nestle, Hindustan Unilever, Indian Tobacco Company, Reliance Industries, Britannia Industries, Hatsun Agro Product Limited, Metro Dairy Limited, Heritage foods, Vasudhara Dairy, Vadilal Group etc.|
|Job Profiles||Dairy Technologist, Microbiologist, Dairy Production Manager, Logistics and Distribution Manager, Dairy Scientist, Dairy Nutritionist, Quality Control Officer etc.|
BTech Dairy Technology: What is it about?
Information and details about the BTech Dairy Technology program are as follows.
- The course is specially designed for young pupils completing 10+2 and having deep interests in Dairy Technology.
- Main objective behind the course is to make the youth students well-versed with each and every detail of dairy production, processing and quality control checks required for various dairy-related products.
- BTech Dairy Technology syllabus covers topics which involve basics of dairy technology, physical chemistry of milk, introduction to dairy microbiology, cheese technology and dairy engineering etc.
- BTech in Dairy Technology is one of the major parts of food technology and Processing, students must have certain skill-sets to build their career in dairy industry which includes
Scientific Knowledge, Commitment regarding industry work, Skills to manage the production process, Technical Skills to run machines, Inquisitive mind to discover new methods etc.
Why Study BTech Dairy Technology?
The goal to attain a BTech Dairy Technology degree will depend on each individual’s aspirations and goals. Some of the reasons to pursue this course are as follows.
- Reputed profession: Dairy Technology is a high demand field where skilled graduates are able to find open job positions immediately. Any student with the passion to excel in the field will find success soon.
- Career opportunities: BTech Dairy Technology degree holders are able to pursue a diverse array of career opportunities. There is no limit to educational programs one can choose. From law, management to competitive examinations to get employed in Government organizations, the sky's the limit.
- On completion of this program, students will be able to get handsome salary packages ranging between INR 3,00,000 and 8,00,000 depending on candidate’s expertise in the field.
- Candidates can further pursue PG courses such as MTech, Master of Engineering courses on completion of this course.
What is the BTech Dairy Technology Admission Process?
The most popular engineering entrance exams in the country are JEE Main and JEE Advanced, which are mandatory for admission into primarily public universities. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance exams. The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Step1- Registration: In this step, students need to create an account by entering basic details like email-id, phone number etc.
- Step2- Application Form: Fill the application form with all necessary details. Care must be taken to ensure all details are accurate and correct.
- Step3- Uploading of documents: Scan and upload all requisite documents like mark sheets, photograph and signature. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Step4- Payment of Application Fees: Candidates have to pay the application fees either online or offline.
- Step5 - Downloading of admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Step6 - Entrance Exam: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Step7 - Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Step8 - Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the BTech Dairy Technology course.
What is the BTech Dairy Technology Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for BTech Dairy Technology aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from institute to institute.
- Candidates must have cleared their 10+2 level examinations with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as compulsory subjects.
- The qualifying aggregate score required in Class 12 is at least 55% and above.
- Candidates having a 3-year Diploma in the related field from a recognized university are eligible to apply for Lateral Entry admissions.
Which are the popular BTech Dairy Technology Entrance Exams?
There are a large number of national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into the BTech Dairy Technology program.
|Exam name||Registration Date||Date of exam|
|JEE MAIN||December 15, 2022 – January 12, 2023 (Phase 1)
February 7, 2023 – March 7, 2023 (9 PM) (Phase 2)
Phase 1: January 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 2023
|JEE ADVANCED||April 30, 2023 – May 04, 2023||June 04, 2023
Paper 1: 09:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Paper 2: 02:30 PM – 05:30 PM
|WBJEE||December 23, 2022 (OUT) – January 8, 2023 (Tentative)||April 30, 2023|
|MHT CET||February 10, 2023 – May 15, 2023 (Tentative)||June 15, 2023 to June 20, 2023 (Tentative)|
|BITSAT||2nd week of February 2023 – 2nd week of May 2023||3rd week of June 2023|
How to Prepare for BTech Dairy Technology entrance examinations?
Candidates are advised to follow the below-mentioned tips to excel in entrance exams:
- Make a timetable for studying and follow the same strictly. Include each topic in every subject and stick to the timetable. This will ensure the entire syllabus is covered at least once. Allocate time daily to studies.
- Clear up the basics. The basics will form the base for the more advanced chapters later on. A strong understanding of the basics will be useful.
- Practice, practice, practice. Engineering entrance examinations are all about practice. Take mocks and attempt as many as sample papers as possible.
- Allocate time separately for the more difficult topics. If needed, approach a teacher or a tutor to help go over the topics again.
- Many toppers recommend depending on the NCERT books of the 10+2 levels. One must be thoroughly clear with the school books before purchasing more books.
How to get admission in a good BTech Dairy Technology college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked BTech Dairy Technology college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams. Some papers are comparatively easier to attempt than the others. This will help in better preparation.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Revision of all basic concepts must be done.
- Some papers have an English section and an Aptitude section. Preparation for these sections can be by practicing past papers.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
- Take a look at the daily news and affairs of the world regularly. Keeping up to date with the news will help in preparation for the exam and counseling round but also act as a break from studying.
The subjects taught for the BTech Dairy Technology program are almost similar in most of the engineering colleges. The syllabus for the entire BTech Dairy Technology course is as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Physical Chemistry of Milk||Market Milk|
|Milk Production Management & Dairy Development||Introductory Dairy Microbiology|
|Engineering Drawing||Heat and Mass Transfer|
|Workshop Practice & Technology||Chemistry of Milk|
|Fluid Mechanics||Traditional Dairy Products|
|Fundamentals of Microbiology||Electrical Engineering|
|Moral Value & Education||Biochemistry & Human Nutrition|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Computer Programming||Cheese Technology|
|Condensed & Dried Milks||Ice?Cream & Frozen Desserts|
|Fat Rich Dairy Products||Judging of Dairy Products|
|Refrigeration and Air Conditioning||Starter Culture and Fermented Milk Products|
|Dairy Engineering||Dairy Process Engineering|
|Economic Analysis||Marketing Management & International Trade|
|Dairy Extension Education||Dairy Plant Management & Pollution Control|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|IT in Dairy Industry||Food Engineering|
|Quality and Safety monitoring in Dairy Industry||Food Chemistry|
|By Products Technology||Food and Industrial Microbiology|
|Financial Management & Cost Accounting||Packaging of Dairy Products|
|Dairy Plant Design and Layout||Food Technology|
|Chemical Quality Assurance||Entrepreneurship Development and Industrial Consultancy|
|Principles of Dairy Machine Design||Operation Research|
|Environmental Sciences? I||Environmental Sciences? II|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Hands-on Training and Experiential Learning||In-Plant Training|
Which are the Top BTech Dairy Technology Colleges?
The table below shows the best BTech Dairy Technology colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|Name of the College/ University||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|TANUVAS, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 21,415|
|CUTM, Visakhapatnam||Entrance-Based||INR 1,25,000|
|Parul University, Vadodara||Entrance-Based||INR 1,00,000|
|MPUAT, Udaipur||Entrance-Based||INR 39,920|
|MVN University, Palwal||Entrance-Based||INR 90,000|
|Apex University, Jaipur||Entrance-Based||INR 1,00,000|
|Shyam University, Dausa||Entrance-Based||INR 80,000|
|Warner College of Dairy Technology, Allahabad||Entrance-Based||INR 1,40,000|
|NDRI, Karnal||Entrance-Based||INR 15,450|
|SHUATS, Allahabad||Entrance-Based||INR 1,40,000|
Source: College Websites
BTech Dairy Technology College Comparison
The table given below depicts the comparison made among the three top BTech Dairy Technology colleges in India.
|Parameter||TANUVAS, Chennai||CUTM, Visakhapatnam||Parul University, Vadodara|
|Objective||TANUVAS offers degree courses like Bachelors in Veterinary Science, BTech in Food Technology and Poultry Processing Technology, Masters in Veterinary Sciences, PhD and MPhil Courses. The main objective of the University is to educate the students in veterinary and animal science.||CUTM, Visakhapatnam offers a large number of degree programs in the discipline of Technology, Architecture, Engineering, Business Administration etc.||The Parul University offers Diploma, UG, PG, PG Diploma and Research courses in the field of Arts, Management, Engineering, Law, Computer Applications, Medicine, Architecture, Social Work, Fine Arts, Commerce, etc.|
|Average Fee||INR 21,415||INR 1,25,000||INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,50,000||INR 5,25,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Amul, Mother Dairy, National Dairy Development Board of India, Nestle, Vadilal, Reliance etc.||Amul, Mother Dairy, National Dairy Development Board of India, Nestle, Vadilal, Reliance etc.||Amul, Mother Dairy, National Dairy Development Board of India, Nestle, Vadilal, Reliance etc.|
Source: College Websites
BTech Dairy Technology Vs BE Food Technology
The course comparison between BTech Dairy Technology and BE Food Technology is as follows. Also check out the top BE Food Technology Colleges in India
|Parameters||BTech Dairy Technology||BE Food Technology|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Dairy Technology||Bachelor of Technology in Food Technology|
|Objective||This course involves training the admitted students extensively in the production, processing and quality control of dairy-related products.||This program deals with the intricacies related to the food industry, its preservation and security.|
|Admission process||Merit or Entrance exam||Entrance Exam or Merit|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed Class 12 in Science Stream from a recognized board.||Passed Class 12 in Science Stream from a recognized board.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000||INR 70,000 to 5,00,000|
|Job Opportunities||Dairy Scientists, Dairy Equipment Repairer, Dairy Managers and Dairy Consultants etc.||Food Technologist Scientist, Food, and Beverage Associate, Food Research Analyst, Sourcing and Procurement Contractor etc.|
|Companies||Mother Dairy, Amul, Nestle, Reliance and Hindustan Unilever etc.||Food Corporation of India, Department of Food and Public distribution of Government of India etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 10,00,000|
Source: College Websites
What are Job Prospects and Career Options after BTech Dairy Technology?
- On completion of BTech Dairy Technology program, students can be employed by big companies like Mother Dairy, Amul, Nestle, Reliance and Hindustan Unilever etc.
- There are ample amounts of job opportunities for BTech Dairy Technology graduates in Government as well as Private sector.
Some of the most common job profiles that a BTech Dairy Technology student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Dairy Technologists||Dairy Technologists are responsible for inventing and upgrading the methods used for processing and prevention of dairy products such as cheese, ice creams etc by using different scientific principles and chemical processes.||INR 5,24,000|
|Microbiologists||Microbiologists are responsible to plan and carry out the trials regarding the prevention of dairy products. They need to prepare the reports after research on safety measures for dairy products processing and packaging.||INR 8,54,000|
|Dairy Nutritionists||One of the major responsibilities of a Dairy Nutritionist is to prepare diet plans according to the dairy products.||INR 6,75,000|
|Dairy Scientists||Dairy Scientists are those who apply their knowledge of science and technology to safely and efficiently produce and process the dairy products.||INR 4,21,000|
|Farm Manager||Responsible for overall management of the dairy herd which include milking, health, breeding and upkeeping the facilities.||INR 7,54,000|
Source: College Websites
What are the Future Scope of BTech Dairy Technology?
The Dairy Technology graduates can prefer to do jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher studies. The most popular choices of education on completion of a BTech Dairy Technology degree are as follows.
MSc: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MSc Dairy Technology. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BSc/ BTech in Dairy Technology. This is one of the most popular masters engineering programs and admissions are highly competitive.
Check out the Top Msc Dairy Technology Colleges in India.
MBA: A large number of engineering graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test. Having a BTech Dairy Technology degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
Check out top MBA Colleges and PGDM Colleges in India.
Competitive examinations: Another route that graduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
BTech Dairy Technology FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to the BTech Dairy Technology program are as follows:
Ques. Is BTech Dairy Technology a good course?
Ans. Yes, it is a good course for those who want to learn about production, processing and quality control of dairy-related products.
Ques. Is BTech Dairy Technology a tough course?
Ans. It totally depends on the student, if the student is interested in the course then it will be easy for them to pursue the same.
Ques. Is there any delay in BTech Dairy Technology admission process due to COVID-19?
Ans. Yes, there are some changes in the date of examination for admission you can check it on the website of the college for further details.
Ques. Can Arts stream students take admission in this course?
Ans. No, only Science stream students can take admission as eligibility criteria says that students should have studied Science subjects.
Ques. After completing this course, can students apply to government jobs?
Ans. Yes, after completing this course students can get placement in government hospitals and can apply for other jobs also.
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for admission to BTech Dairy
Ans. Yes, there are a few entrance exams conducted for admission to the BTech Dairy Technology. Some of the top ones are JEE Main, BITSAT, SRMJEEE etc.
Ques. Can I pursue another degree course with this course in full time?
Ans. No, it is not acceptable. A student can take admission in one course at a time for a full time course and it is also not allowed.
Ques. Is there any university/ institute which offers this course from distance learning?
Ans. Yes, there is an institute which offers this course from distance learning which is Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
Ques. Does Delhi University provide this course?
Ans. No, Delhi University does not provide BTech Dairy Technology program but offers BTech in other disciplines.