MA Hindi is a 2-year postgraduate program with the Hindi language as a specialization. The main focus of this program is to expose learners to a wide variety of Hindi literature. The course essentially involves the study of literature, linguistics, and philosophies of the Hindi language.
MA Hindi subjects include Hindi Poetry, Drama, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Literary History, etc. The eligibility criteria for this course require graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate in any stream or equivalent from a recognized university.
Check out the top MA Hindi Colleges in India.
MA Hindi admission is based on merit in most of the institutes and a few institutes also conduct their own entrance examinations. These entrance exams are followed by rounds of Personal Interview.
Key Highlights of MA Hindi
- Full-Form: Master of Arts in Hindi
- Duration: 2 years
- Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in any stream from a recognized university.
- Admission Process: Merit-based/ Entrance exam
- Entrance Exams: DUET, IPU CET, JNUEE, AMU Entrance Exam, CUCET, OUCET, etc.
- Top Colleges: Miranda House, Hindu College, Hansraj College, Lady Shri Ram College for Women.
- Average Course Fees: INR 20,000 - INR 80,000
- Distance Education: Available
- Distance Education Institutes: Kalinga University, Jaipur National University, Periyar University.
- Average Course Fees in Distance Education: INR 10,000 - INR 20,000
- Job Options: Translator, Professor, Teacher, Interpreter, Journalist, Screenwriter, Speech Writer, Voice Assistant, Editor
- Average Salary: INR 3-20 lakh
- Higher Studies: PhD Hindi, MPhil Hindi.
Some of the top colleges that offer MA Hindi are mentioned below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Fees per annum||Average Placement Offer|
|1||Miranda House, New Delhi||Merit||INR 14,530||INR 3.5 LPA|
|2||Lady Shri Ram College For Women, New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 17,976||INR 7.5 LPA|
|3||Hindu College, New Delhi||Entrance + Merit/ Interview||INR 16,590||INR 5 LPA|
|9||Hansraj College, New Delhi||Entrance + Merit/ Interview||INR 13,309||INR 5.5 LPA|
|-||Ramjas College, New Delhi||Entrance + Merit/ Interview||INR 14,284||INR 5-6 LPA|
The fees for MA Hindi ranges from INR 6,000 to INR 80,000 per annum depending on the type of college. Few colleges like Kalinga University, Jaipur National University, Periyar University also provide this course in a part-time mode. The fees for distance education in this course range from INR 10,000 to 20,000.
After completing MA Hindi, candidates have many job opportunities in India as well as abroad. Candidates can work as a translator, professor, teacher, interpreter, Journalist, Screenwriter, Speech Writer, Voice Assistant, and editor.
The average salary in these roles ranges from INR 3 LPA to 20 LPA, increasing with experience and expertise. Candidates can also pursue further education in PhD Hindi and MPhil Hindi.
MA Hindi Admission Process
Admission to the MA Hindi program is conducted either through entrance examination or merit-based. Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same. Candidates need to fill out the required details according to the existing documents.
For those colleges that take admission on the basis of merit, candidates can clear the selection round if their bachelor’s marks are above average. If they clear the minimum cut-off, then they will be called for further rounds.
- Entrance Exam
In some universities, an entrance exam result can provide direct admission, some universities conduct further rounds of selection such as group discussions, personal interviews to select candidates for the final admission.
Candidates will have to successfully clear the entrance exam conducted by the university/institute and on the basis of marks/ranks scored, the candidates will move to the next round.
Few entrance exams are DUET, JANUMET, CUCET, OUCET.
MA Hindi Eligibility
Candidates wishing to pursue an MA in Hindi should fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- The basic requirement is a Bachelor's Degree or a higher degree from a recognized College/University.
- Candidates who are willing to apply for the MA Hindi program must also have passed their 12th (10+2 Schooling system) with minimum 50% marks from a recognized board.
- A Bachelor Degree in Hindi itself is Preferred
MA Hindi Entrance Exams
Some of the entrance exams for admission into MA Hindi are mentioned below:
- DUET 2020: Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET) is an online entrance exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for the candidates seeking admission in UG, PG, M.Phil., and Ph.D. courses offered by Delhi University.
- IPU CET 2020: This is a national level test, conducted in the month of May for postgraduate admission to colleges of Indraprastha University.
- AMU 2020: This is a national level test, conducted for postgraduate admission to colleges of Aligarh Muslim University
- JNUEE 2020: Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination (JNUEE) is conducted for admissions in various UG, PG and Doctoral courses offered by Jawaharlal Nehru University.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|DUET 2020||Starts from June 20, 2020||To be notified later||Online|
|IPU CET 2020||Till June 30, 2020||To be notified later||Online|
|AMU Entrance Exam 2020||March 7, 2020||July or August 2020||Pen paper-based|
|JNUEE 2020||Till June 30, 2020||To be notified later||Online|
How to prepare for MA Hindi Entrance Exam?
To prepare properly for the MA Entrance exam, it is important for the candidates to know the syllabus and prepare according to it.
- The MA Hindi Entrance exam usually consists of topics like history of hindi language and literature from 2010 to 2020, rules and concept of hindi language, etc. Other than the hindi language the paper may also consist of questions from current events.
- Candidates should also practice the previous year’s question papers. This will give an idea of the type of questions asked and the format of the question paper. This helps the candidates alot to prepare for the examination.
- Refer to the books that are highly recommended by the institutes and the professors.
- The candidate who holds a bachelor degree in Hindi language will act as a benefit for them.
How to get admission in top MA Hindi Colleges?
Candidates should keep the following things in mind to get admission in a good MA Hindi college:
- Most of the colleges conduct entrance exams to select students for MA Hindi course. So, it is important to perform well and clear the cut-off of the institute.
- Along with that it is mandatory that the student should fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria.
- Candidates should prepare according to the syllabus.
- Practice previous years papers to improve your time management skills at the time of entrance exams.
- Check the amount of preparation through practicing the mock tests.
- Keep checking the notifications released by the institutes about their application deadline, admit card release and exam date.
MA Hindi: What is it About?
- MA Hindi is a 2-year postgraduate course in the Hindi Language. It can be pursued either full-time or part-time, depending on a student’s preference
- The program exposes learners to a wide range of Hindi literature. The course has diverse applications and helps to familiarize detailed concepts of Hindi as a language
- Hindi is given the status of the co-official language in several States also. In light of the fact that some schools in foreign countries have decided to introduce Hindi as a foreign language along with French, Spanish, and others. Hence the demand for Hindi Teachers and Professors is fast increasing not only in Indian schools but also abroad. Hindi has earned global recognition for itself in the linguistic arena
- The topics of Study under the degree includes History of Language, Novel and Short story, translation (theory and practical), etc
- Candidates willing to pursue careers in journalism, teaching, interpreter, translator, and editor can choose this field as there’s a lot of job prospects in these streams
MA Hindi Course Highlights
The key highlights of MA Hindi have been listed below:
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full form||Master of Arts in Hindi|
|Eligibility||Graduate from a recognized university|
|Admission process||Entrance exam based / Merit|
|Course fee||INR 6000 to INR 80,000 per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA to INR 20 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Government Sectors, News Channels, Schools & Colleges, Publishing Houses|
|Job Positions||Hindi Editor, Hindi News Reader, Hindi Professor, Hindi Interpreter/Translator|
Why Study MA Hindi?
Students can choose the MA Hindi because of the following advantages:
- Most of the states require their secondary school teachers to possess a Bachelor’s degree in the subject they are teaching, and having a Master’s in the same subject is even more enticing to potential employers.
- A Master’s degree can carry a lot of weight in the teaching job industry and those who have their Master’s are considered to be experts in their field.
- When an Undergraduate Degree provides you knowledge of a certain subject, a Master’s teaches you how to impart that knowledge to your students.
- This degree also provides an opportunity to teach in a classroom setting, under the supervision of an experienced teacher, while pursuing the degree.
MA Hindi vs MA Hindi Literature
MA Hindi and MA Hindi Literature may seem very similar, but there is a slight difference between them. Below are the major points of difference in them:
Check out the top MA Hindi Literature Colleges in India.
|Parameters||MA Hindi||MA Hindi Literature|
|Full-Form||Master of Arts in Hindi||Master of Arts in Hindi Literature|
|Type||Academic Degree||Academic Degree|
|Objective||It is a study of linguistics, literature and philosophies of the Hindi language. It includes Literary criticism, literary history, poetry, drama and fiction.||It possesses a classical touch with a strong literature base. It is divided into 4 components: Bhakti, Shringar, veer-Gatha and Adhunik.|
|Admission process||Entrance exam/ Merit||Entrance Exam/ Merit|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 - INR 80,000||INR 10,000 - INR 50,000|
|Job Opportunities||Hindi Professor, Interpreter, Hindi News Reader, Hindi Editor||Freelance translator, Hindi teacher, tutor, Assistant professor, Online Hindi Translator, consultant|
|Average Salary||INR 2 LPA - INR 4.38 LPA||INR 2 LPA - INR 3 LPA|
|Top recruiting companies||Government Sectors, News Channels, Schools & Colleges, Publishing Houses||Schools, Colleges, Publication Areas, Coaching centers, Translation Departments|
MA Hindi Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering MA Hindi are mentioned in the table below. The table also contains information about the admission process, annual fees, and average placement salary. These colleges have been ranked by NIRF 2020.
|NIRF 2020 Ranking||College Name||City||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement offer|
|1||Miranda House||New Delhi||Merit||INR 14,530||INR 3.5 LPA|
|2||Lady Shri Ram College For Women||New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 17,976||INR 7.5 LPA|
|3||Hindu College||New Delhi||Entrance + Merit/ Interview||INR 16,590||INR 5 LPA|
|9||Hansraj College||New Delhi||Entrance + Merit/ Interview||INR 13,309||INR 5.5 LPA|
|34||Osmania University College for Women||Hyderabad||OUCET 2020 score||INR 2260||INR 4-5 LPA|
|37||Jesus and Mary College||New Delhi||Merit||INR 17,046||INR 3 LPA|
|43||Indraprastha College for Women||New Delhi||Merit||-||INR 6.5 – 7 LPA|
|--||Ramjas College||New Delhi||Entrance + Merit/ Interview||INR 14,284||INR 5-6 LPA|
|--||Kishinchand Chellaram College||Mumbai||Merit||INR 55,275||INR 3.5 – 4 LPA|
|--||Mehr Chand Mahajan Dayanand Anglo Vedic College for Women||Chandigarh||Merit||INR 20,060||INR 5.5 LPA|
MA Hindi College Comparison
A comparison has been made among some of the top colleges offering MA Hindi in the table below. The comparison is based on the parameters like NIRF rank, admission process, annual fees, average salary, and top recruiters.
|Parameter||Lady Shri Ram College For Women, New Delhi||Osmania University College for Women, Hyderabad||Kishinchand Chellaram College, Mumbai|
|Overview||Lady Shri Ram College for Women is one of the foremost colleges of the University of Delhi, established in the year 1956. It is ranked 5th among the colleges in Delhi for Arts and Social Sciences, Commerce, and Journalism.||Osmania University College for Women is a Public Institute located in Hyderabad, Telangana, and was established in 1924. The college is accredited by The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) and is affiliated to Osmania University, Hyderabad.||Kishinchand Chellaram College is a prestigious educational institution located in Mumbai’s Churchgate area. It was established in 1954 by the Hyderabad (Sind) National Collegiate Board. The college received its permanent affiliation with the University of Mumbai. It is recognized by the Government of Maharashtra and UGC, New Delhi.|
|Rank (The Week)||1||32||39|
|Admission process||Merit||OUCET 2020 score||Merit|
|Average Fees||INR 17,976||INR 2260||INR 55,275|
|Average Package||INR 7.5 LPA||INR 4 LPA - INR 6 LPA||INR 4 LPA - 5 LPA|
|Placement Companies||Bank of America Merrill Lynch, LEK Consulting, Boston Consulting Group, and Bloomberg||HCL Technologies Ltd, Hero MotoCorp, Amazon, Dell Computers, DBS||Zomato, Reliance|
MA Hindi Distance Learning
There are several institutes in India that offer MA Hindi degrees through Distance Learning. Distance learning mode is getting popular in India and a number of students want to earn their degrees while they continue to work. Most Universities in India offer distance learning courses through the Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education (D.D.C.E.).
- For admissions to MA Hindi degree through distance learning mode, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree from any discipline.
- Some distance learning institutes select candidates based on their work experience. But mostly the candidates are selected based on merit.
- IGNOU is known to be one of the most popular institutes for distance learning. They offer MA Hindi and the candidates have the flexibility to complete the course before or after 2 years. It is a national university that aims to offer equal opportunities to all segments of society.
Some of the colleges that offer distance education in MA Hindi are:
|University||Location||Course Duration||Average Annual Fees|
|BJB Autonomous College||Bhubaneswar||2 years||INR 40,000|
|Nalanda Open University||Patna||2 years||INR 4,400|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||New Delhi||2 years||INR 9,000|
|Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University||Ahmedabad||2 years||INR 3,700|
|Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University||Nashik||2 years||INR 4,000|
MA Hindi Syllabus
A detailed syllabus for MA Hindi is mentioned below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|History of Literature – Ancient and Medieval||History of Literature – Modern Period|
|Novel and Short Story||Prose II – Drama and One-Act Plays|
|General Linguistics||Ancient and Medieval Hindi Poetry|
|Translation – Theory and Practice||Origin and Development of Hindi Language and Structure of Hindi|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Modern Hindi Poetry including Chayavad||Post-Chayavad Hindi Poetry|
|Theory of Literature - Indian and Western||Current Trends in Indian Literature|
|Dalit Literature in Hindi/ Official Language Hindi and Functional Hindi/ Sanskrit||Feminist Writing in Hindi/ Special Author: Mohan Rakesh/ Minor Literary Forms in Hindi|
|Indian Theatre/ Journalism and Media/ Cultural Tourism||Hindi Writings in Kerala/ Special Author: Premchand/ Sanskrit|
MA Hindi Books
Some of the Important books that the candidates will have to prefer for this course are:
|Aadhunik Hindi Kavya aur Kavu||Ramchandra Tiwari|
|Gad Sahitya||Radha Mohan Gadanayak|
|Kavya Shastra evam Sahitya Lochan||Dr. Ganga Sahai Premi|
|Hindi Sahitya ka Itihas||Ramchandra Shukla|
MA Hindi Job Profiles and Career Prospects
MA Hindi graduates have a vast opportunity in the present market. Career options after this course are immense. They can get jobs in areas like Government Sectors, News Channels, Schools & Colleges, Publishing Houses, etc.
- They can make a career in journalism by working as a news editor, news writer, reporter, or anchor. Journalism takes place through various mediums, including television, radio, digital, and print.
- Pursuing a government job, especially at one of the illustrious Civil Services such as IAS or IFS, is a dream of many. Candidates can take Hindi as their optional subject or even as a Mains language subject.
- Translators are very much in demand these days, whether it is to translate official documents, news or articles, or even entire books. They play an important role in ensuring that the tone and content of the initial document are translated into the second language.
Some of the job options along with its description and salary are mentioned below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Hindi Professor||To teach students at reputed schools, colleges, and Universities. With increased teaching experience, salary also rises.||INR 2,34,000|
|Hindi Interpreter||The job offers multilingual content solutions, using both professional linguists and artificial intelligence technologies. Must possess a native-level understanding of Hindi language and culture. Those with a native-level understanding of Hindi are sought to work on-site||INR 4,02,125|
|Hindi News Reader||The job may also require on-air interviewing, conducting panel discussions, debates & other talk shows. To become a newsreader, one must have a degree in Journalism & Mass Communication accompanied by a degree in the Hindi Language. Newsreaders may also be asked to add commentary to their scripts and sometimes act as reporters or journalists.||INR 4,00,000|
|Hindi Editor||To approve TV and digital content, ensuring that editorial guidelines are adhered to consistently, to help select stories, and to manage staff deployment within the team. Hindi Editors, with their skills, help develop and drive the team's performance.||INR 3,50,000|
MA Hindi Future Scope
After pursuing MA Hindi, candidates can find job opportunities in many fields both in India as well as in foreign. The job roles include those of interpreter, editor, news journalist, professor, teacher, and translator. There also exists a path for a career in any number of language companies like Systran, SDL International, Detroit Translation, and many more.
Many candidates opt for further education like Ph.D. (Hindi) and M.Phil (Hindi).
- M.Phil (Hindi): Master of Philosophy or M.Phil. Hindi is an advanced postgraduate research degree that offers students an opportunity to conduct research on Hindi language and literature. M.Phil. in Hindi is a great choice for students who want to explore and learn linguistics and detailed literature. The minimum eligibility for admission to M.Phil in Hindi is Masters in Hindi with at least 55% from a recognized university
Check out the top M.Phil Hindi Colleges in India.
- Ph.D. (Hindi): Ph.D. Hindi is a Doctorate full-time Hindi language course. The duration of this course is 3 years divided into 6 semesters. Candidates who have completed MA Hindi and a Postgraduate degree in any stream with a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grade points from a recognized university (or) Master’s degree in any stream with 55% of marks are eligible for this course.
Check out the top Ph.D. Hindi Colleges in India.
Ques. What is the length of the course MA Hindi?
Ans. The MA Hindi is a course of 2 years of duration. This two-year course is divided into semesters of six months. Hence there are 4 semesters.
Ques. How does the admission take place in the MA Hindi course?
Ans. Admission to MA Hindi is mostly done on the basis of merit of the qualifying examinations. Few colleges/universities take entrance exams for admissions.
Ques. What is the basic eligibility of the candidates to pursue MA Hindi?
Ans. The eligibility criteria for this course require a candidate to have passed his/her graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate in any stream or equivalent from a recognized university.
Ques. What are the modes of taking up a MA Hindi course?
Ans. Candidates can either take up a full-time MA Hindi course from a college or a part-time distance education course. This is very helpful for working professionals as they can upgrade their skills along with working in corporate.
Ques. What are the job avenues after completing the MA Hindi course?
Ans. There are several job opportunities after completing the MA Hindi course. Some of them include working as Professor, Editor, Journalist, Interpreter, Translator.
Ques. Can I grab an international opportunity after completing the MA Hindi course?
Ans. Yes. Hindi is given the status of the co-official language in several States also. In light of the fact that some schools in foreign countries have decided to introduce Hindi as a foreign language along with French, Spanish, and others. Hence the demand for Hindi Teachers and Professors is fast increasing not only in Indian schools but also abroad. Hindi has earned global recognition for itself in the linguistic arena.
Ques. What is the average package that a graduate can expect after this course?
Ans. The average package ranges from 3 LPA to 20 LPA.
Ques. What are some of the top colleges in India that offer the MA Hindi course?
Ans. Lady Shri Ram College For Women, New Delhi, Hindu College, Miranda House, Indraprastha University, are some of the colleges that offer MA Hindi.
Ques. What is the average fee for the course MA Hindi?
Ans. The fees of the course range from INR 6000 to 80,000 per annum depending on the type of college.
Ques. What is the future scope after completing MA Hindi?
Ans. Candidates can pursue M.Phil. Hindi, Ph.D. Hindi after completing their Master’s program.