MA Political Science or Master of Arts in Political Science is a 2 years postgraduate course in India. The course provides specialized knowledge of Indian and International politics to graduate students. It can be pursued by those who wish to make their careers in the fields of governance and public management.
Aspirants with a bachelor's degree in Political Science or in any relevant field with a percentage of 50% or more are eligible to go ahead with this course.
Popular colleges like Hindu College, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Gargi College, etc offer admission to this course through entrance exams. However, few colleges like Presidency College, Chennai offer merit-based admission to students.
Some of the top entrances for MA Political Science admission are BHU PET, JNUEE, DUET, etc
MA Political Science: Key Highlights
- Full Form: Master of Arts in Political Science
- Duration: 2 years.
- MA Political Science Eligibility: BA.degree with 50% or more in Political Science or in any related field.
- Admission Process: Entrance/ Merit
- Top Entrance Exams: BHU PET, JNUEE, DUET, IPU CET, etc.
- MA Political Science Distance Education: Yes
- MA Political Science Subjects: Political Theory, Public Administration, International Relations, Comparative Politics, and Public Laws. etc.
- MA Political Science Fees: INR 20,000 to 80,000
- MA Political Science Salary: INR 4-8 LPA
- MA Political Science Jobs: Political Consultant, Academician, Activists, Archivists and Political Content Writer, etc
- Recruiting Areas: Universities, Administration, Campaigns, Political Houses, etc
The average annual cost to study a full-time MA Political Science course may range from INR 20,000 to 80,000. However, IGNOU, TNOU, Nalanda Open University, etc are few universities offering MA Political Science distance education. The cost to study the programme from distance universities varies from INR10,000 to 25,000
The course syllabus covers major MA Political Science subjects like Political Theory, Public Administration, International Relations, Comparative Politics, and Public Laws.
Tabulated below are the best MA Political Science colleges in India, as per the rankings of NIRF, 2019
|NIRF Rankings, 2019||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|2||Hindu College, Delhi||DUET||16,690||7-9 LPA|
|3||Presidency College, Chennai||Merit-Based||865||-|
|5||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi||DUET||17,976||8-20 LPA|
|10||St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata||CET||90,000||8-9 LPA|
|12||Gargi College, Delhi||DUET||12,681||5-8 LPA|
Graduates with this degree can expect an average salary of around INR 4-8 LPA in areas such as Academia, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, etc.
Apart from exploring MA Political Science jobs like Political Consultant, Academician, Activists, Political Content Writer, etc, students can also go for further studies.In that case, an M.Phil and a Ph.D in Political Science are two most common and beneficial options for the students.
MA Political Science Admission Process
The admission process is usually based on the percentile scores in one of the entrance exams like Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata, etc
However, rare colleges like Presidency College, Chennai offer admission to this course on the basis of merits and academic excellence in school and bachelor's degree.
After qualifying the entrance exams, universities have a personal screening process that is being levied on aspirants.
Listed below are the step wise admission process of MA Political Science:
Step 1: Fill-up the application form.
You must fill up the application form of the specific colleges you want admission in, by submitting all the necessary documents.
Step 2:Appear for the entrance exam
Once you are done with the form fill-up, the next step is to sit for the entrances being fully prepared and cracking them.
Step 3: Shortlisting Process
Colleges shortlist students on the basis of scores obtained in their individual entrance exams. A cut off list is generated by the college and you should have cleared the cut off to be eligible for the next round included in the admission process.
Step 4: Final Admission Round
Colleges, in their personally capacity, conduct these rounds to further test a candidate’s ability and skills:
- Group Discussion (GD)
- Written Ability Test (WAT)
- Personal Interview (PI)
MA Political Science Eligibility
The MA Political Science eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in any stream preferably Arts and Humanities.
- Minimum marks required vary from 45% to 55% in graduation and may vary for different universities.
- The minimum pass percentage is higher for non-humanities courses.
MA Political Science Entrance Exams
Some of the university level entrances exams for MA Political Science admission are given below:
- BHU PET 2020: It is a postgraduate entrance test for admission in PG courses in Banaras Hindu University.
- JNUEE 2020: JNUEE is conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University in order to shortlist students for various postgraduate degree programs.
- IPU CET 2020: This is a university level of entrance exams conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. It is an online exam for various UG and PG admissions.
- OUCET 2020: OUCET is conducted by Osmania university in order to select students for various postgraduate degree programs.
- DUCET 2020: Conducted by Dravidian University, this is an entrance exam for the admission of students to postgraduate programmes.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date*||Exam Mode|
|BHU PET 2020||January 30, -March 21, 2020||To be announced||Offline|
|JNUEE 2020||March 2- June 15, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|IPU CET 2020||March 3- June 10, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|OUCET 2020||4th week of April- 2nd week of June, 2020||2nd week of July 2020||Offline|
|DUCET 2020||April 01-June 30, 2020||July 04, 2020||Offline|
*The exam dates for the above few exams are not yet announced due to the Covid 19 pandemic and shall be notified soon.
How to prepare for the MA Political Science Entrance exam?
The entrance test paper may contain objective or descriptive or both types of questions.
Keep the following points in mind when appearing for entrances like IPU CET, BHU PET, JNUEE, etc:
- Candidates must thoroughly know the syllabus and the question pattern.
- Questions are mainly asked from the subjects taught in the undergraduate level. Therefore, clear understanding of subjects like Indian Politics, World Politics, Political Sociology, etc must be there.
- Study the previous year’s question paper and try to solve them.This will help them to increase their efficiency of performances in the respective exams.
- From day one have a proper time table and schedule.
- Keep on revising the notes especially made for the preparation of these exams.
- Do not take a burden to your health while preparing for the entrances, as that would have a negative impact on your scores.
How to get admission in good MA Political Science Colleges?
Getting into top MA Political Science colleges of Delhi University, BHU, and more may seem tough, so mentioned below are few points to help you get a good MA Political Science College:
- Since most of the colleges have individual tests, aspirants can prepare for them by studying respectively for each exam.
- Aspirants are required to have a bachelor's degree, with a predisposed interest in the different aspects of a political science course.
- Candidates must keep the crucial dates of the entrance exam and application deadline in mind and must take early action against all of the requirements.
- Students must be updated with the current affairs of the world, with a jotted down the knowledge of the stream they wish to excel in.
- They must also be prepared for interview sessions and try to excel in their public speaking and communication skills.
MA Political Science: What is it all About?
To know everything about the course, refer to the mentioned below points:
- In India the course is of 2 years which is further divided into 4 semesters.
- A master's in Political Science offers an interdisciplinary course that focuses on aspects of governance such as political doctrines, polity, international law, political philosophy, governance, etc.
- MA Political Science requires students to present several research papers and dissertations in their final year.
- Aspirants specializing in political science and politics can make remarkable careers in the country’s political system.
- The course offers an opportunity to understand the governance and administrative system of one's country while giving them a crash course of civil rights and duties.
- The course offers in-depth knowledge of various political practices in all over India and all around the world.
MA Political Science: Course Highlights
Some of the important highlights of MA Political Science courses are tabulated below.
|Full Form||Masters of Arts in Political Science|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any stream preferably Arts and Humanities with a decent score from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance / Merit|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 80,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4-8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Universities, Administration, Campaigns, etc|
|Job Positions||Political Consultant, Academician, Manager, Activists, Archivists and Political Content Writer, etc|
Why study MA Political Science?
A degree in Political Science can be a step towards a respectable career. There are many benefits to pursuing an MA degree in Political Science.
Some of them are:
- It also covers communication skills, public relations, generic reasoning, public response management, and analytical response studies.
- The degree opens doors to pursue a career in the management side of public campaigns, along with studying service areas of designated politicians.
- Political Science degree hones your writing, data skills, communication, and analytical reasoning, along with being a deeply fortuitous liberal arts education.
- It prepares you to take independent decisions, guided by a knowledge of both history and current affairs.
- Graduates can dive into journalism, teaching, consulting, law, polling, communications, etc.
- The course teaches valuable lessons in preparation for electoral politics, public policy, and community participation.
- An MA Political Science degree has the capability of making an individual a public figure in the political domain of the country, if utilized in a proper way.
The table drawn below shows a comparison made between MA Political Science vs MA Public Administration:
|Parameters||MA Political Science||MA Public Administration|
|Qualification||Masters of Arts in Political Science||Masters of Arts in Public Administration|
|Course Overview||The objective of MA Politics Science is to cover various topics like Political Theory, Public Administration, Comparative Politics, International Relations, Public Laws, etc.||The objective of MA Public Administration is to focus on topics like People’s participation, Development of Communication, Good Governance, Construction Of New-Liberal States, Welfare to all, Environmental Concerns,Development of the Society, etc|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any stream preferably Arts and Humanities with score of 50% or more from a recognized university.
||Graduation with at least 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam /Merit||Entrance Exam /Merit|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 to 80,000||INR 6,000-65,000|
|Top Colleges||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi Presidency College, Kolkata, Presidency College, Chennai Hindu College, Delhi, etc
||Jindal School of Government and Public Policy, Sonipat. Madras Christian College, Chennai. Nizam College, Hyderabad, etc|
|Average Salary||INR 4-8 LPA||INR 3-7 LPA|
|Job Profiles||Consultant, Academician, Manager, Activists and Political Content Writer, etc||Administrative Officer, Party Manager, Consultant, Teacher, etc.|
Source: University Websites and Payscale
MA Political Science Colleges
There are more than 1400 colleges that offer degrees in Political Science. Here are some of the leading MA Political Science colleges in India:
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees in (INR)||Average Annual Package in (INR)|
|Hindu College||Delhi||16,690||7-9 LPA|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women,||Delhi||17,976||8-20 LPA|
|St. Xavier’s College||Kolkata||90,000||8-9 LPA|
|Gargi College||Delhi||12,681||5-8 LPA|
|Ramjas College,||Delhi||14,284||7-9 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||56,000||4.5-6 LPA|
|Presidency University||Kolkata||3,960||3-6 LPA|
|Lady Brabourne College||Kolkata||27,174||-|
|Osmania university||Hyderabad||2,60||4-7 LPA|
MA Political Science Distance Education
Students unable to take the traditional route can enroll in a MA Political Science distance learning degree, offered by leading distance education portals. The minimum duration for a distance learning degree is 2 years whereas the maximum duration is 5 years. The average fees for MA Political Science distance learning may range from INR 10,000 to 25,000.
One must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a decent percentage in order to pursue this course from a distance. Admission to MA Political Science distance education is offered on the basis of merit, followed by counseling.
Here are the top universities offering a MA Political Science distance learning :
|College name||Location||Average Annual Fee (INR)|
|Nalanda Open University||Patna||7,200|
|Tamil Nadu Open University||Chennai||6,682|
|Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Open University||Hyderabad||4,400|
|Delhi University School of Open Learning||Delhi||4,990|
Source: University Websites
MA Political Science College Comparison
We have drawn the table below to compare some of the top MA Political Science Colleges in India on the basis of NIRF Rankings, Fees, Salary, etc.
|Parameters||Hindu College||St. Xavier’s College||Lady Shri Ram College for Women|
|College overview||Hindu College was founded by Late Shri Krishan Das Ji Gurwale in the year 1899. The college is affiliated to Delhi University.||Located in Kolkata, St. Xavier’s College is an Autonomous College. The University was established in 1860 by Catholic Minority Religious Body and offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Ph.D. and various diploma and certificate courses to the students.||Established in the year 1956, Lady Shri Ram College for Women is one of the top colleges under Delhi University. The College offers more than 16 courses, consists of 150 faculty and 2000 students on 12 acres of land.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 16,690||INR 90,000
|Average Annual Package||INR 7-9 LPA||8-9 LPA||INR 8-20 LPA|
Facebook, Infosys, ,Accenture,, Capegemini,, KPMG,Grail Research, etc
|Barclays, Infosys, Genpact, IBM, Accenture,Grail Research, etc||
Genpact, OBEROIS group, Asian paints, Titan, NDTV, SONY India,, Infosys,etc
MA Political Science Syllabus
MA Political Science Syllabus covers subjects based on political theory, critical analysis, philosophy, and ethics. In the final year students are also required to prepare projects and dissertations on the topics given by the universities.
The syllabus can be subjected to variations across universities, but the basic course modules remain the same. Here is the semester wise MA Political Science syllabus
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Western Political Thought (From Plato to Hegel)||Political Sociology|
|Contemporary Political Theory||Political Thinking Since Marx|
|Research Methodology||Comparative Politics|
|Ancient Indian Political Thought||Indian Constitutional System|
|Practical Work/Exercise||Practical Work/Exercise|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Public Administration||Concept and Issue in Political Science|
|International Politics||Post-Cold War International Relations|
|Politics in India||State Politics with Special Reference to U.P.|
|Modern Indian Political Thought||Indian Administration|
|Practical Work/Exercise||Dissertation and Viva Voce|
MA Political Science Books
Tabulated below are some of the MA Political Science Books for the students to refer.
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|Making Political Science Matter: Debating Knowledge, Research, and Method||Sanford F. Schram; Brian Caterino|
|A Model Discipline: Political Science and the Logic of Representations||Kevin A. Clarke; David M. Primo|
|Political Science in America: Oral Histories of a Discipline||Michael A. Baer; Malcolm E. Jewell; Lee Sigelman|
|Political Research: An Introduction||Lisa Harrison|
MA Political Science Jobs and Career Options
An MA Political Science can land you a progressive career in the field of administration, journalism, research, and politics. Graduates with this degree have also shown interest in the competitive exams for government jobs in the Public Service sector.
With high chances of becoming a renowned figure of the country, these professionals can earn from a range of INR INR 4-8 LPA.
The table below shows some of the common MA Political Science Jobs along with the Average Salary Scale
|Job Roles||Description||Average Salary(INR)|
|Politician||A Politician is basically a member to any party with respective roles given in the areas of education, finance, sports, etc.
Taking decisions in these areas and helping common people are the duties of these professionals.
|Public Administration||Public Administrators utilize their degree to form policy decisions and budget assessment, serving the government’s agenda of development.||8 LPA|
|Political Correspondent||Reporting news from the Political field along with interviewing people and sourcing them to news channels for a national broadcast.||6 LPA|
|Political Content Writer||The jobs of these professionals revolves around researching current topics, historical issues and making a copy to be presented in news pieces.||5.5 LPA|
|PR Executive||Public Relations is also a good option as exposure to political practices also acquaints one with culture and social systems of a place and hence making them ideal for a role as Public Relations executive||7 LPA|
|Political Activists||Political Activists are the one who researches the ongoing issues in a society and fights for them on the behalf of any party.||6.5 LPA|
|Archivist||Retrieving, answering, and selecting political materials, while storing perishable documents, teaching researched materials, etc are some of the daily works of these professionals.||5 LPA|
MA Political Science Scope
There is an increasing demand for graduates with a background in political science and an interest in public policy dialogue. Soon after completion of the course, graduates can either try to enter the public or private workforce.
Apart from exploring careers in any of the above mentioned fields, students can pursue advanced courses like M.Phil or a Ph.D in Political Science. These two courses are considered as the prime options for higher studies after the completion of MA Political Science.
- M.Phil in Political Science: An M.Phil. in Political Science is a postgraduate research course. It imparts knowledge to the students on areas like Public Administration, International Politics, Political Sociology, Research Methods, etc.
- Ph.D in Political Science: A 3 years’ doctorate degree program, Ph.D in Political Science includes the investigation of the theory and practice of politics. With various specializations available like Political hypothesis, Public strategy, International relations, etc, this becomes a perfect option for higher studies.
After successfully getting an MA Political Science degree, one also becomes eligible enough to visit foreign countries for conducting research and seminars.
MA Political Science: FAQs
Ques. What is MA Political Science?
Ans. MA Political Science is a course that deals with various aspects of world politics.The degree makes an individual capable enough to grab jobs like elected official, lobbyist and more.
Ques. Which university is best for MA Political Science?
Ans. Top universities for MA Political Science are:
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur.
- Osmania University College for Women, Hyderabad.
- Institute for Excellence in Higher Education-[IEHE], Bhopal.
- KLingaya's University, Faridabad
Ques. Is MA Political Science difficult?
Ans. It can be difficult as it involves complex topics like ideology, fundamental beliefs, religion, culture etc. But with determination to pursue the course, it will not seem much hard to crack.
Ques. What are the 4 fields of MA Political Science?
Ans. MA Political Science has a lot of major fields and some of them are:
- American Politics
- Comparative Politics
- International Relations
- Political Economy
- Political Philosophy
Ques. How many years is a MA Political Science degree?
Ans. A full time MA Political Science degree takes two years to complete.
Ques. What is the average cost required to study MA Political Science?
Ans. The average cost to study the programme ranges from INR 20,000 to 80,000.
Ques. What is the average salary of a MA Political Science graduate?
Ans. Salary structure of these graduates depends on a lot of factors, however, the average salary of a MA Political Science professional ranges from INR 4-8 LPA.
Ques. What can you do with a MA Political Science degree ?
Ans. You can enter fields such as Political Management, Administration, Journalism, Public Relations, and Public Services with a MA Political Science degree or can study further.
Ques. Is there any update related to MA Political Science admission 2020 due to COVID 19?
Ans. The registration process of many universities for the admission of this course like Delhi University, BHU, etc has been extended due to COVID 19.