M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing is a 2-year postgraduate program. It is one of the most vibrant and important areas in engineering. The discipline is of strategic importance with respect to:
- microelectronics, communications, medical equipment, automation, aerospace and defense.
- digital problem-solving with elegant and powerful tools.
The minimum eligibility for pursuing the course is the successful completion of B.E./ B.Tech. or equivalent qualification, with a minimum aggregate score of 50% or equivalent CGPA.
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Software Applications Engineer
- Communications and Signal Processing Engineer
- Embedded DSP Engineer
- Wireless Communications Developer Engineer
- Digital Signal Processing Electrical Engineer
- Algorithms and Standards Research Staff engineer
- Lecturer & Professor, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 2 years.
Digital System and Signal Processing Engineers employed in government departments earn an initial salary ranging between INR 15,000 and 20,000 while in the private sector, it ranges between INR 30,000 and 50,000, increasing with experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Digital System & Signal Processing)
M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System/ Yearly|
|Eligibility||B.E./ B.Tech. in a relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in a relevant entrance exam such as GATE, CMJ, CCMT, etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 2 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 15 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||BSNL, Airtel, Doordarshan, Radio, Army Signal Core, ISRO, BHEL, DRDO, IIT, NSPCL, NTPC, NPL, Railways, MTNL, BARC, CSIR, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Manufacturing Industries, Broadcasting Industries, Consulting Industries, Data Communication Firms, Entertainment Industries, Research and Development, System Support Sector, among others.|
|Job Positions||Software Applications Engineer, Communications and Signal Processing Engineer, Embedded DSP Engineer, Wireless Communications Developer Engineer, Digital Signal Processing Electrical Engineer, Algorithms and Standards Research Staff engineer, Lecturer & Professor, and such.|
M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing: What is it About?
M.Tech. in Digital System and Signal Processing is essentially about:
- physical exchange of data over a point-to-point or point-to-multipoint communication channel.
- transfer of discreet messages which are represented by any of:
- a sequence of pulses
- a line core
- a limited set of continuously varying waveforms using a digital modulation method.
- pulse band modulation and corresponding demodulation, carried out by modem equipment.
- data transmitted as digital messages originating from a data source as in the case of a computer or keyboard.
- analogue signals such as a phone call or a video signal digitized into a bit stream or more advanced source coding schemes.
- numerical and optimization methods used in Digital Signal Processing.
- industry-standard tools for design and analysis of Digital Signal Processing systems.
- developments in the IT sector and related fields.
Top Institutes offering M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name Of Institute||City||Average Fees|
|Dr. K.N. Modi University||Jaipur||INR 58,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Hyderabad||INR 22,800|
|Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 45,000|
|National Institute of Technology||Silchar||INR 45,370|
|Vasavi College of Engineering||Hyderabad||INR 90,000|
|College of Engineering||Pune||INR 94,568|
|Amc Engineering College||Bengaluru||INR 4,22,000|
|Marian Engineering College||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 75,000|
|College of Engineering Trivandrum||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 28,015|
|Mar Baselios College of Engineering And Technology||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 1,50,000|
|College of Engineering, Cherthala||Cherthala||INR 90,000|
|Smt. Kashibai Navale College of Engineering||Pune||INR 90,185|
|College of Engineering Karunagappally||Kollam||INR 90,000|
|Mes College of Engineering, Kuttipuram||Malappuram||INR 1,30,000|
|Pes Institute of Technology||Bengaluru||INR 75,000|
|Kalyani Charitable Trust's Late G.N.Sapkal College of Engineering||Nashik||INR 78,240|
|College of Engineering Poonjar||Kottayam||INR 90,000|
|Bhivarabai Sawant College of Engineering and Research||Pune||INR 55,120|
|Paladugu Nagaiah Chowdary and Vijai Institute of Engineering and Technology||Guntur||INR 45,000|
|B. S. Abdur Rahman University||Chennai||INR 60,000|
Eligibility for M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduation (Bachelor of Engineering/ B.Tech. in Building and Construction Engineering/ Civil Engineering) or another such equivalent course in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates in their final year of graduation can also apply for the course on provisional basis.
|Master of Technology in Telangana||Master of Technology in Madhya Pradesh||Master of Technology in Haryana||Master of Technology in Kerala|
M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing: Admission Process
Some colleges also offer admission on the basis of obtained merit at the level of graduation. However, generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, conducted at any of State and national levels, followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
The round of counselling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Some of the popular such examinations held in the country for admission to the course are:
- (AIEEE) All India Engineering Entrance Exams
- Avinashilingam University for Women M.Tech. Entrance Examination
- BEEE – M.Tech. Entrance Exam
- BITSAT Entrance exam
- BSAUEEE M.Tech. Entrance Examination
- Calicut University M.Tech. entrance exam
- DA IICT Entrance exam
- (DCRUST) Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology M.Tech. Entrance exam
- DAIICT Entrance exam
- GAT Entrance Test
- GATE M.Tech. Entrance Exam
- GGSIPU Engineering CET Entrance exam
- IIIT- M.Tech. Entrance exam
- IIT, Banaras Hindu University
- IIT, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- (IIIT) Bhubaneswar M.Tech. Entrance exam
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- KIIT Entrance Exam
- Kerala University M.Tech. Entrance Exam
- LNM IIT- M.Tech. Entrance exam
- MIT Entrance Exam
- MNIT Entrance Exam
- NITTTRC - Master of Engineering Entrance exam
- (NERIST) entrance examination
- (PGCET) Karnataka
- PTU CET
- (RIST) Meghalaya - M.Tech. Entrance exam
- SRMEEE Entrance Examination
- UPES-SEAT Engineering Entrance Test
- VITEEE Engineering Entrance Exam
- VTUEEE Chennai All India Engineering Entrance Examination
M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Digital Logic Design||Elective I|
|Digital IC Design||Technical Seminar I|
|Digital Signal Processing||Digital Systems Laboratory|
|Microcontrollers and Applications||ASIC Design|
|Elective I||Image and Video Processing|
|Wireless Communications and Networks||Advanced Digital Signal Processing|
|Advanced Computer Architecture||Embedded Systems|
|DSP Processors and Architectures||Elective II|
|Digital Signal Compression||Technical Seminar II|
|Elective II||Advanced Digital Systems Laboratory|
|Operating Systems||Comprehensive Viva Voce|
|Speech and Audio Processing||Project Work|
|Embedded Software Design||-|
|Advanced Digital IC Design||-|
M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing: Career Prospects
M.Tech. in Digital System & Signal Processing is a value-added software and programming market tool. The discipline involves applications such as convergence, communication, and speech recognition.
Popular organizations that hire in this field include:
- Texas Instruments.
In the field of digital signal processing, candidates can find job opportunities in:
- police department
- All India Radio
- Army Signal Core
- Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Professor||Professors teach courses in their branch of knowledge. They work with candidates seeking a degree or are taking classes to enhance their knowledge or expertise.||9,13,657|
|Application Software Engineers||Application Software Engineers plan and create programming applications, for example, utility projects and general application programming. They work with clients to decide needs and create need-based programming to address clients’ issues. They alter existing programming to settle issues, advance working, and empower its utilization on new equipment stages.||7,27,353|
|Communications and Signa Processing Engineer||Communications and Signa Processing Engineers are in charge of quickly outlining, prototyping, creating, and testing best-in-class calculations identified with Global Positioning System (GPS) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)-based flag following, Propelled Telemetry Flag Preparing, Signs 0f Chance (Soop) Flag Following, And Engineered Gap Sonar (Sas) And Radar (SAR) applications.||3,67,742|
|DSP Engineers||Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engineers set up, keep up, and adjust advanced signs for unwavering quality and exactness, frequently for things, for example, video, sound, weight, and temperature. Examinations of these digital signals are important to regularly decide consistency and zones of change, and these specialists may likewise create programming for equipment, for example, chip and controllers.||6,50,000|
|Wireless Telecommunication Engineers||Wireless Telecommunication Engineers are electrical architects are responsible for practically creating, assembling, and testing remote innovations, for example, phones, the satellite frameworks that help them, and remote PC systems.||3,67,742|