“Information Technology and Business are becoming inextricably interwoven. I don’t think anybody can talk meaningfully about one without talking about the other”- Bill Gates
BSc IT (Bachelor of Science in Information Technology) is an undergraduate course in Information Technology. The total duration is 3 years and the course spreads across 6 semesters. The subject mainly revolves around the processing and management of information in a systematic way.
In order to be eligible for the BSc IT course, the students must complete his/her higher secondary or 10+2 examination from a recognized board. The admission is mostly done on the basis of the marks acquired by the candidates in their 10+2 examination. However, there are a few colleges that organize an entrance test and students are admitted on the basis of their performance in the entrance test.
Some of the important subjects that are included in the course curriculum are Technical Communication Skills, Data Structure Using C Language, Computer Organization and Architecture, Mathematical & Statistical Foundation of Computer Science, Networking and Internet Environment, Content Management System Using Joomla, etc.
Some of the top institutes of the country offering a BSc IT course are St. Xaviers College Mumbai, Elphinstone College Mumbai, Jai Hind College Mumbai, and VELS University Chennai. BSc IT is a very popular course in India.
The total average tuition fee of the BSc IT course is between INR 90,000 to INR 4.3 Lakhs. The fee totally depends on the college in which you wish to get admitted to. Generally, private institutions charge more than the government colleges.
The students, after completing their BSc IT course may pursue an MSc IT. They may also get jobs in various IT sectors. The nature of your job and your salary will depend on your expertise in the field. Few of the common job profiles include Programmers, Quality Analyst, Technology Engineer, Software Developer, etc. Your average salary may be anything between INR 2-4 Lakhs per annum.
What is BSc IT?
BSc IT program revolves around the field of Information Technology, which is essentially about storing, processing, securing, and managing information. Networks, software development and testing, information databases, and programming, etc. are some of the subjects of study covered in the course. The course can be pursued on any full-time and part-time basis in India.
- BSc IT focuses on the field of Information Technology and the various subjects that are related to it.
- The BSc IT students will get to know the different ways by which bulk information can be managed, stored, and secured.
- Some of the important subjects that are covered in the course are Web Programming, Computer Fundamentals and Emerging Technology, Computer Organization and Architecture, Networking, and Internet Environment.
- The course is offered on both full-time as well as part-time basis.
- BSc IT graduates will be able to perform various technological tasks related to the management of data and information.
BSc IT Highlights
|Full-form||Bachelor of Science in Information Technology|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% marks in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the main subjects|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or Entrance Test|
|Course Fee||INR 90,000- INR 4.3 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2-4 Lakhs per annum|
|Job Positions||Programmers, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, IT Specialists, Software Developer, Technology Engineer, Technical Consultant, Graphic Designer.|
|Top Recruiters||Educational Institutes, Hospitals, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry, Environmental Management and Conservation, Testing Laboratories, Forensic Crime Research Research Firms, etc.|
Why Study BSc IT?
The BSc IT course can give you a very bright future. Here are a few reasons why you should take up a BSc IT course:
- The students will have a deep understanding of ways of managing and securing huge amounts of data.
- They will get to know about subjects like software development, networking, databases, and programming.
- As the IT industries are growing rapidly, you need not face a lot of difficulty in acquiring a well-paid job.
- The average salary earned by an IT fresher is around 2-4 Lakhs per annum. Your income will increase with experience.
- A student can also opt for an academic career and teach at various academic institutes. He/She can also go for research activities.
- After completing this course you can also opt for government, well-paid, and reputed job positions.
Types of Degree Courses Available
- Full-time: This is a full fledged on campus degree course that provides the student with all the required knowledge and skills about a particular stream or subject. Colleges like Calcutta University, Delhi University, Kirori Mal, Miranda House and others provide MA Full time degree courses.
- Part-Time: Part-time degree is the provision of completing the degree course with more time. Most colleges provide Part-time degrees along with full-time degrees. Colleges like Jamia Milia University and Jawaharlal Nehru University provide part time degrees to students.
- Distance Education: Distance Education colleges provide the option of completing a degree course while also working. This is the most flexible form of degree course. Colleges like IGNOU, Annamalai University , Karnataka State Open University , Osmania University , University of Mumbai provide MA Distance Education
BSc IT Eligibility
In order to be eligible for the B.Sc. IT course, the following eligibility criteria must be fulfilled:
- The students must complete his/her 10+2 or equivalent exam from a recognized board with 50% marks.
- He/She must have Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as their main subjects in 10+2.
- You need to appear for a few of the entrance exams conducted by different colleges and universities offering this course.
BSc IT Admission Process
The admission to BSc IT courses will depend on the marks you secure in your 10+2 examination. Some colleges also admit students on the basis of their performance in the entrance test. Every college has its own procedure for admission. The admission forms are released after the results of the 10+2 examinations are declared. The details can be obtained from the official websites for the colleges/ universities.
You can apply for BSc IT colleges through merit also. Few of these merit-based BSc IT offering colleges invite applications for admissions. You can apply in these colleges through both online and offline modes of application. You need to submit your details in the form including personal details, educational qualifications, and others. After the final payment of the application fee, you need to wait for the merit list released by the colleges and universities.
Few colleges and universities also conduct their own aptitude test at the college level whereas there are some national level entrance exams too. After qualifying the examination, candidates are called for counseling and group discussion rounds.
BSc IT Entrance Exams
A number of colleges conduct entrance tests for admitting students to the BSc in IT program. Here, we have listed some of the most popular BSc IT entrance tests. The dates of these entrance tests for the current year have been postponed due to the coronavirus crisis.
- IISER 2020: IISER or Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research is one of the most prestigious institutes of the country. The college offers dual degree courses (BS-MS) to the students in various subjects. The entrance test is conducted in August.
- GSAT 2020: GSAT is the examination conducted by the GITAM Institute of Science for admission to the various undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by the institute. The examination is conducted in June.
- NEST 2020: NEST is the national level entrance test for admission to the 5 years integrated MSc programs. The examination is held online. The examination is held in August.
- UPCATET 2020: UPCATET is the exam conducted by four Universities of Uttar Pradesh on a rotational basis for admission to UG, PG, PhD and Diploma courses.
- GBPUAT 2020: GBPUAT is the exam conducted by Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology for admission to the various courses offered by the university. It is a pen and paper-based examination.
|Entrance Test||Mode of Examination||Exam Duration||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|IISER 2020||Offline||3 hours||March 23, 2020- July 8, 2020||August 12, 2020|
|GSAT 2021||Offline||1 hour||March 20, 2020, to till further notice||To be announced soon|
|NEST 2020||CBT||3 hours||January 8, 2020, to June 14, 2020||August 14, 2020|
|UPCATET 2020||Offline||3 hours||February 20, 2020 to June 3, 2020||To be announced soon|
|GBPUAT 2020||Offline||3 hours||Till June 15, 2020||To be announced soon|
Important Tips for BSc IT Entrance Test
Preparation is of extreme importance if you wish to perform really well in an examination. So, let us see how you should prepare yourself for the BSc IT entrance tests:
- Knowing the syllabus is really important. You need to cover all the important portions of the syllabus. The syllabus can be downloaded from the official website of the university.
- You must have a pretty decent score in your 10+2 examination. Otherwise, you will not be able to fulfill the eligibility criteria.
- If your college conducts an entrance test, then you must perform well in the examination and acquire a good score. In that way, you will be able to clear the cut-off easily.
- Make a list of all the important dates related to admission. This includes the last date of submission of the application form, the date of payment of application fee, entrance test date, etc. This will reduce your chances of missing an important deadline.
- Also, do detailed research regarding the placement scenario and the course curriculum of the institute you wish to be a part of. You must know about the quality of education offered by the institute before becoming a part of it.
BSc IT Top Colleges
Here, we have mentioned some of the top B.Sc. IT Colleges of India. This list will definitely help you to find the good option of college or university for you.
|India Today Rank||College Name||City||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|13||Women’s Christian College||Chennai||INR 1.86 Lakhs||INR 3.6 Lakhs per annum|
|24||B.K Birla College of Arts Science and Commerce||Thane||INR 75,631||INR 3 Lakhs per annum|
|27||KishinChand Chellaram College||Mumbai||INR 18,735||INR 4 Lakhs per annum|
|39||S K Somaiya Degree College of Arts, Science, and Commerce||Mumbai||INR 74,103||INR 3.5 Lakhs per annum|
|50||Sri Ramakrishna College of Arts and Science||Coimbatore||INR 2.7 Lakhs||INR 3.6 Lakhs per annum|
|59||Nirmala College for Women||Coimbatore||INR 5,715||INR 3 Lakhs per annum|
|68||Sardar Patel Mahavidyalaya||Chandrapur||INR 36,706||INR 2 Lakhs per annum|
|75||Rathinam College of Arts and Science||Coimbatore||INR 1.8 Lakhs||INR 2 Lakhs per annum|
Quick Look into Top BSC IT Colleges
BSc IT College Comparisons
Given below is the key comparison between the top-ranked colleges of BSc as per India Today. The comparison is on the basis of various terms like average fee, overview, ranking, and other parameters:
|College/ University Name||B.K Birla College of Arts Science and Commerce, Thane||S K Somaiya Degree College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Mumbai|
|Overview||B.K Birla College of Arts Science and Commerce offers a number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses to the students.||S K Somaiya Degree College of Arts, Science and Commerce offers various degree courses in Arts, Science and Commerce|
|India Today Ranking||24||39|
|Average Fees||INR 75,631||INR 74,103|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in 10+2||Minimum 50% in 10+2|
|Average CTC||INR 3 Lakhs per annum||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||TCS, Cognizant, Milestone Interactive Pvt Ltd.||Cisco, Cognizant, Wipro, Infosys, Accenture.|
BSc IT and BSc Computer Science Course Comparison
BSc IT and BSc Computer Applications are almost similar courses. Below we have discussed the major differences between both the courses. We can judge a course on several parameters and this is why we have enlisted the differences below for your reference based on such parameters:
|Parameters||BSc IT||BSc Computer Science|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Information Technology||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
|Course Overview||BSc IT revolves around the various modern aspects of technology. It involves subjects like networking, databases, and programming.||BSc Computer Science deals with the various aspects of computer-related technology.|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 examination with minimum 50% marks.||Passed 10+2 examination with minimum 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Merit-based + Entrance test||Merit-based + Entrance test|
|Average Fee||INR 90,000- INR 4.3 Lakhs||INR 20,000 to INR 60,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2-4 Lakhs per annum||INR 3-7 Lakhs per annum|
|Colleges||St. Xaviers College Mumbai, Elphinstone College Mumbai, Jai Hind College Mumbai and VELS University Chennai||Patna Science College, Nirmala College Ranchi, PSG College of Art and Science Coimbatore, Magadh University Gaya.|
|Job Areas||Educational Institutes, Hospitals, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry, Environmental Management and Conservation, Testing Laboratories, etc.||IT Sectors, Academics, Hospitals, Forensic Crime Research Research Firms, Health Care Centres.|
|Top Job Profiles||IT Support Analyst, Network Engineer, IT Consultant, Technical Sales Representative, Web Designer, Software Developer, Quality Assurance Analysts||Computer Programmer, Computer Operator, Mobile Application Operator.|
BSc IT Distance Education
A Bachelor of Science in Information Technology discipline course can also be pursued from distance learning. There are top and reputed institutes and universities offering BSc IT from correspondence. People also look for, if BSc IT from IGNOU is available or not, but Indira Gandhi National Open University is not offering this course. There are several benefits of pursuing BSc IT from distance education like:
- This option offers you the opportunity to learn the course study from reputed colleges and universities without migrating from your hometown.
- Through distance learning, the study material is provided through postal service, emails, pen drives, and online classes.
The course fee is usually less than pursuing the course from regular college. Few of them are listed below:
BSc IT Syllabus
BSc IT is a 2-year freshman degree that comprises 6 semesters with 2 semesters each year. The course curriculum comprises the subjects related to programming, computer applications, networking, and project works.
Below given is the semester-wise syllabus of the BSc IT including all the core and other relevant subjects of study:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Technical Communication Skill||Data Structure Using C Language|
|Problem Solving Methodologies & Programming in C||Web Programming|
|Computer Fundamentals and Emerging Technology||Computer Organization and Architecture|
|Networking and Internet Environment||Mathematical & Statistical Foundation of Computer Science|
|Practical-1(Based on CS-04 & PC Software)||Practical-1|
|Practical-2(Based on CS-02)||Practical-2|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|SAD, Software Quality Assurance & Testing||Programming with Java|
|C++ and Object-oriented Programming||Programming with C#|
|RDBMS Using Oracle||Network Technology & Administration|
|Content Management System Using Joomla||Operating Systems Concepts with Unix/Linux|
|Practical (Based on CS-13 & CS-14)||Practical (based on CS-19 & CS-22)|
|Practical (Based on CS-15 & CS-16)||Practical (Based on CS-20)|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|CS-25. Programming with C#.NET||Programming with ASP.NET|
|Advanced Java Programming||MS SQL Server 2005 Database Administration|
|Software Testing and Project Management||Network Management and Information Security|
|Practical on CS-25, CS-26 & CS-27||Practical Work|
|Project Development||Project Development|
Few colleges and universities also offer generic elective courses too with the course study. The table comprises those elective courses are enlisted below:
Managing Big Data
Mobile and Wireless Technologies
Graphics and Multimedia Systems
IT Infrastructure Management
Advanced Computer Networks
Mobile Application Development
BSc IT Scope
The future of an IT student is always quite bright. He/She may opt for an academic career and go on to pursue a post-graduation in this field.
- For a professional career, numerous openings are available. There are hundreds of private companies that are always in search of IT professionals.
- Some of the common areas of recruitment include IT companies, banks, etc. The candidates can also become a freelancer and work for various organizations on a part-time basis.
- Numerous jobs are available in the government sectors as well. However, for that, you have to appear for various government examinations like UPSC. Government banks also provide employment to IT officials.
If a candidate wishes to pursue further education in the same course then they can also opt for the same. There are a number of courses available after BSc IT. One of those courses is discussed below:
MSc IT: Master of Science in Information Technology (MSc IT) is a 2-year postgraduate degree that can be pursued after a bachelor’s degree in respective discipline from a recognized board or university. It comprises both theoretical and practical concepts of the course study. The average cost charged for this course ranges from INR 8,000 to INR 3 Lakhs for the whole course. After completing this course you can expect an average earning of around INR 8 Lakhs per annum (depending on the skills and experience of the candidate).
There are a number of top recruiting companies offering job opportunities to these graduates like Deloitte, Accenture, IBM, Infosys, Microsoft, and many more.
BSc IT course has excellent career prospects. After completing your graduation, you may go for an MSc IT course. After that, you may go for a Ph.D. or even teach at various academic institutes. You may also carry out research activities in any field related to Information Technology.
If you are looking for a professional career, then there are numerous job openings available for you. You may seek jobs in the IT sectors. Some of the common job profiles are IT Support Analyst, Network Engineer, IT Consultant, Technical Sales Representative.
Here, we have mentioned a few important job profiles for the B.Sc. IT students along with their job descriptions and average annual salary:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|IT Support Analyst||IT Support Analyst provides technical advice to the IT users by means of phone, social media, emails, or in person.||INR 3.12 Lakhs|
|Network Engineer||A Network Engineer is mainly responsible for securing and handling large volumes of data. He/She also develops data recovery strategies.||INR 6.78 Lakhs|
|IT Consultant||An IT consultant is responsible for providing technical guidance to the internal employees of an organization and also to the external clients.||INR 11.46 Lakhs|
|Technical Sales Representative||A Technical Sales Representative mainly sells software and hardware products and determines the benefit of various businesses and services.||INR 2.92 Lakhs|
|Web Designer||A web designer designs the layouts for websites for various companies and organizations. He/She may also work for independent clients.||INR 2.33 Lakhs|
|Software Developer||A software developer programs and develops software based on client requirements. He/She does so by building various programs and applications.||INR 3.90 Lakhs|
|Quality Assurance Analysts||Quality Assurance Analysts test the programs and software to ensure their functionality and reliability before releasing them in the market.||INR 3.53 Lakhs|
|Application Analyst||An Application Analyst is responsible for ensuring the integrity, availability, and the safety of all data and applications that are a part of the company’s information system.||INR 4.20 Lakhs|
Ques. What is better: BSC or BSC IT?
Ans. Both the courses are completely different from one another. BSc is a generalized program dealing with basic sciences while BSc IT is a specialized program in Information Technology.
Ques. Which course is best: Bsc IT or BSc CS?
Ans. Both the courses are equally prosperous. BSc CS deals with both hardware and software while BSc IT only deals with software.
Ques. What is the scope for BSc in IT in India?
Ans. There is a huge scope for the BSc IT students in India. As the IT industries are growing, job opportunities are also increasing.
Ques. What is the best career path after BSc IT?
Ans. You can take up a job in the IT sector. The academic field is also open to you. Various government jobs are also available.
Ques. What should be the expected job profile of a BSc IT graduate?
Ans. The common job profiles are Programmer, Software Developer, IT Consultant, Technical Sales Representative, Web Designer.
Ques. What are the popular entrance tests for BSc IT admission?
Ans. Some of the popular entrance tests include IISER, GSAT, NEST.
Ques. What should be my expected average annual salary after completing the BSc IT course?
Ans. The average salary is anything between 2 LPA- 10 LPA
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria for the BSc IT course?
Ans. You require a minimum of 50% in your 10+2 examination. You must also have Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as your main subjects in 10+2.
Ques. What are the best places to study for a BSc IT course?
Ans. Some of the best colleges are St. Xaviers College Mumbai, Elphinstone College Mumbai, Jai Hind College Mumbai, and VELS University Chennai.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for the BSc IT course?
Ans. The average tuition fee is between INR 90,000 to INR 4,30,000
Ques. Has the exam dates for the BSc IT course been postponed?
Ans. Yes, all the entrance examination dates have been postponed because of the coronavirus crisis.
Ques. When are the application forms for the BSc IT course released?
Ans. The application forms are released in May shortly after the declaration of the 10+2 examination results.