Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College in Mumbai, Maharashtra, was established in June 1937. It was established by Shikshana Prasaraka Mandali. It was the first-ever privately managed college and was opened formally by H.E. Sir Roger Lumley, the then Governor of Bombay, on 3rd December 1937. In the academic year of 2017-18, National Assessment Accreditation Council (NAAC) awarded A+ GRADE with CGPA 3.70.
Ramnarain Ruia College has been conferred with Autonomous Status by University Grants Commission (UGC) in the year 2017-18. However, the college will remain affiliated to University of Mumbai with autonomous status.
It offers undergraduate courses in B.A, B.Sc., BMM, B.Voc and postgraduate courses like M.Sc., M.Voc. and doctorate courses Ph.D.
The admission process is entirely based on the merit of the qualifying examination obtained by the candidate, for both UG and PG subjects except for M.Sc. in Bio Analytics.
The admission for the Ph.D. Course is done based on the marks obtained in the Ph. D Entrance Test (PET) followed by an interview. GATE / SET / NET / (JRF) qualified or teacher fellowship holders are exempted from PET. All the admissions are done following the Mumbai University rule. There are Scholarships available for the students, both means and merit-based.
Following are some major highlights of Ramnarain Ruia College.
|Set by||Government of India|
|Entrance Exam||PH. D Entrance Exam called PET|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, Doctorate|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based & Entrance Test|
- Ms. Aditee Ajit Dandekar was felicitated with the top most award "Shree Shiv Chhatrapati puraskar for the year 2018-19" for her achievements in the sports - Rhythmic Gymnastics given away by Maharashtra State Government. She also was felicitated by Maharashtra State for her achievements i.e. 3 Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze medal in "Khelo India 2020", Guwahati, Assam on 22nd February 2020
- FYBSc students, Ms. Nikita Das, Ms. Rishali Wadhawan and Mr. Subham Kambli won first prize at National level Microbio-olympiad held in Aurangabad on 15/02/2020.
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was approved by the MHRD and launched by Honourable Minister of Human Resource Development on 29th September 2015.
- Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS), launched in 2013 aims at providing strategic funding to eligible state higher educational institutions. The central funding (in the ratio of 60:40 for general category States, 90:10 for special category states and 100% for union territories) would be norm based and outcome dependent.
Courses offered at Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College are
Specialization : Commerce, Economics, English, French, Hindi, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Marathi, Sanskrit, Psychology (Only at TYBA)
Eligibility- 10+2 from a recognized board in any stream
Specialization: Botany, Chemistry, Life Science, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics, Statistics, Zoology, Biochemistry (Self-Financed), Biotechnology (Self-Financed Stand Alone Programme), Computer Science (Self-Financed Stand Alone Programme)
Eligibility- 10+2 from a recognized board in any stream with min. 45%
Specialization: Green House Construction & Management, Protected Cultivation With Emphasis On Vegetable (Exotic & Indigenous), Flowering And Fruiting Crops, Soilless Cultivation, Plant Tissue Culture (Micro Propagation), Harvesting, Post Harvesting As Well As Value Addition Skills, Plant Marketing, Accounting And Managerial Skills
Eligibility- 10+2 from a recognized board in any stream
Specialization : In either Advertising or Journalism is offered at the TY level to both the English as well as the Marathi medium students
Eligibility- 10+2 from a recognized board in any stream
|M.Voc.||Duration-2 Years Specialization : Green House Management and Pharma Analytical Sciences Eligibility- B.VOC from a recognized university in the relevant subject|
Specialization : Bio analytical Science, 5 year integrated Course in Bio analytical Sciences (Specialization in Bio analysis / Bioinformatics /Nutraceuticals), Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Botany (Specialization in Molecular Biology, Cytogenetic & Plant Biotechnology), Chemistry (Specialization in Physical Chemistry / Organic Chemistry / Inorganic Chemistry / Analytical Chemistry), Computer Science, Information Technology, Life Science (Specialization in Biotechnology), Microbiology, Physics (Specialization in Electronics), Zoology (specialization in Oceanography / Animal Physiology)
Eligibility- B.Sc. from a recognized university in the relevant subject with 50% marks at least
|Ph.D.||Duration-5 Years (Max)
Specialization: Bioanalytical Science, Biotechnology, Botany, Chemistry, Life science, Microbiology, Zoology, Physics, Applied Biology, History, Sanskrit, English, Hindi
Eligibility- Candidates must have a valid Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized University
- Certificate Course: Critical Thinking: Critical thinking is the disciplined art of ensuring that you use the best thinking you are capable of in any set of circumstances.
- PG Diploma in Data Science: Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, Mumbai is announcing post graduate diploma in data science for the academic year 2019-20. The course will commence from 14th September 2019. The course will be conducted at Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, Matunga, Mumbai-400019
Check RRAC Courses & Fees
- Candidates seeking admission in Ramnarain Ruia College can fill the application form online, or can purchase the form from the college itself.
- All the candidates who are fulfilling the eligibility criteria for the respective subject will be able to fill up the application form against that course. The selection of the candidates is done solely based on the merit of the last qualifying examination, for all courses except bio analytical.
- The admission for the Ph.D. Course is done based on the marks obtained in the Ph. D Entrance Test (PET) followed by interview.
- GATE / SET / NET / (JRF) qualified or teacher fellowship holders are exempted from PET. All the admissions are done following the Mumbai University rule. There are Scholarships available for the students, both means and merit-based.
How to Apply?
- Candidates must be aware of the time when then notification regarding admission are released by the college officially
- Click on the online admission link and you will get the option for registration/ login
- If you are not registered, register using a valid email id and a phone number. Give the details like your name, fathers name, address, date of birth, etc, at the time of registration
- An OTP will be sent at your registered email ID, log in using that OTP, create a new password, and note it down somewhere for future requirements.
- Use that password to log in and follow the steps that will appear on the screen to fill in the application form
- The application fee must be paid online using Debit/ credit card / Net banking
Read more: RRAC Admission
Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous college offers scholarships to its students based on merits, sports. This in a way encourages the students to perform better in their academic and sports sphere. The list of scholarships given to its students is as follows:
- Scholarships to Meritorious Junior College Students
- Sports Scholarships
- Scholarships to MSc Students: The Late Lata Rao Foundation Prize
- Scholarships to Groups of ten students each group belonging to Physics, Mathematics, Sanskrit & Zoology
- The college also awards scholarships to the sports personalities of the College through Gymkhana.
Also check RRAC Scholarships
Ramnarain Ruia College provides ample facilities to its students. Some of them are listed below:
Library And Reading Halls: Ruia Library aims to fulfil the information needs of Ruia College. The main collection constituting books is more than 1.25 lac. Along with books, the library also has 6000+ bound volumes of back-issues of noteworthy periodicals, non-print material like CDs & DVDs, and subscription to more than 100 national and international journals. The Library collection is completely computerized and all bibliographic details of books, journals are accessible to the students through the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC). Ruia Library possesses Institutional Membership of Asiatic Library, American Library, and British Council Library. It is also registered as a member of INFLIBNET 'N-LIST' project under which the Library provides to all students free access to more than 80000 e-resources including a variety of e-journals & e-books.
Sports Academy: Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College has a strongly nurtured sports academy. The Gymkhana consist of a badminton court, boxing ring, highly sophisticated exercising equipment and a shooting range of international standard. The academy aims at training the youth, with all the possible sophisticated sports facilities. The academy conducts various sports events and encourages the students to participate in the events. They organize State/ National and International sports competitions.
Language Laboratory: In the year 2014-15, a fully functional and well-equipped Language lab was established in the Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College. It consists of 1 teacher console Computer, 10 student console computers, and 10 headphones (with mic). There are 2 language learning software, tOrell and iLotus, used by the college to teach basic language skills like listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Advanced Instrumentation Centre: Dr. P. S. Ramanathan Advanced Instrumentation Centre (PSRAIC) was established in the year 2011 and is equipped with sophisticated analytical instruments. It provides hands-on training to students and staff and supports research activities. It is the brainchild of Late Dr. P. S. Ramanathan, a distinguished analytical chemist and director – Corporate Analytical Operations, Gharda Chemicals with the support of the Shimadzu (India) Pvt. Ltd. and Gharda Chemicals.
Self-Vision Centre: A highly praise-worthy component of Ruia’s many student welfare activities is the Self-Vision Center that was set in 1995 to offer the best available facilities to its many visually challenged students, who, year after year, have given an excellent account of themselves in their pursuit of excellence in the academic field. Ruia is successful to bring 60 visually challenged students under its guidance to provide them the advanced study facilities that help them to enhance their knowledge and quality of their performance. Ruia has reconstructed and renovated the Self Vision Centre, under the Higher Education Scheme for Persons with Special Needs.
Centre for Urban Studies: “Centre for Urban Studies (earlier Centre for Slum Studies) was established in the year 2002- 2003 in an attempt to sensitize the students to basic issues of social inequity. It has introduced courses for the betterment of slum life. Academic researches and projects are carried out by the center in poverty and slums in the urban areas.
Ruia Autonomous College has very good faculty members. The faculties available are highly educated. There are at least 2 lecturers per subject, and all of them are highly educated and mostly pursuing a Ph.D. There is a high teacher-student ratio, where every student gets individual academic attention. All of them are highly experienced and educated. Most of them are Ph. D holders, and some are pursuing Ph. D. each department has lecturers, professors. The lecturers are also highly qualified. Here is the list of some of the faculty members of the college, with their educational qualifications.
Read more: RRAC Faculty
Ques. Is the Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College affiliated?
Ques. Does it provide hostel facility?
Ques. Does it offer any kind of scholarship?
Ques. What is the entrance preview?