BCom Computer Applications is a 3-year undergraduate course. It is designed to have an understanding in the field of commerce, especially in the discipline that involves the use of software technology application.
The course is designed in a manner to equip students with the knowledge in commerce as well as in the field of computer programming and computer systems. Check the list of Top BCom Computer Application Colleges in India.
Under this program, the students would be taught the basics of Commerce like accountancy, macroeconomics along with the basics of computer language, computer applications in business, etc.
Students who have completed their 10+2 in Commerce/ Computer application or any other relevant field with a minimum of 45% of aggregate marks are eligible to apply for this course.
BCom Computer Applications admissions are usually on the basis of merit. A few colleges would conduct a round of personal interviews or exams. But generally, for this course, admission is through merit.
Some of the top colleges that offer BCom Computer Applications are:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|9||St. Gits College of Applied Sciences||Merit-based||INR 22,500||INR 3,00,000|
|38||Women’s Christian College||Merit-based||INR 56,000||INR 2,30,000|
|55||Sacred Heart College||Merit-based||INR 34,350||INR 3,50,000|
|93||Mahatma Gandhi University||Merit-based||INR 18,000||INR 4,20,000|
There are various colleges that offer this course. The average course fees would range between INR 15,000 to INR 1,00,000.
A student who has completed a BCom Computer Applications has career opportunities in both the Public and Private sectors where they can work as Business Consultants, Auditors, Business Analysts, App Developers, Computer Programmers.
The highest annual salary of around INR 10 lakhs can be expected by graduates of this course, whereas an average annual salary around INR 3.5 - 5 lakh can be expected.
Further study options post completion of BCom Computer Applications include MCA, MBA, etc.
BCom Computer Applications Admission Process
The universities follow the system of merit-based admissions, followed by a personal interview round. There are some colleges that conduct their own entrance exams. The admission process usually varies from college to college:
- In the cases of merit-based admission, once the application is processed, the result is usually based on the marks of the qualifying exams.
- In the case of colleges that have an entrance exam, the result would be based on your performance in board exams and in the entrance.
Steps to follow for applying for BCom Computer Application
- Narrow down the colleges that you want to apply to.
- Go to the website of the college that you are interested in.
- Check if they have their own exam and if you are eligible for the same.
- Create an id or fill in a form as prescribed.
- Fill the details and pay the prescribed fees.
- Also, submit the required documents if needed.
- Finally, keep checking the college website for recent updates and notifications with regards to the same.
- Make sure you have attempted your 12th board exams well.
BCom Computer Applications Eligibility
- Candidates should have completed their 10+2 in Commerce.
- They should have studied Accounts, Math, Business, and Economics as main subjects in class 12.
- Should have scored a minimum of 45% aggregate in 10+2 from a recognized board.
BCom Computer Applications Entrance Exams
Very few colleges conduct entrance exams for BCom Computer Applications. Most of the college admits students based on merit. Few of the exams are mentioned below:
- Jain Entrance Test: This exam is conducted by Jain University for admission to its UG programs. The students are selected on the basis of their performance in the exam.
- VEE VELS Exam: This exam is conducted by VELS University, Chennai for admission to its UG programs. The students are selected on the basis of their performance in the exam.
- Loyola College Entrance Exam: The exam or interview is conducted for admission to UG programs in Loyola College, Chennai. The exam is usually conducted in June.
|Entrance Exam||Application Date||Entrance Dates||Mode of Exam|
|JET Exam 2021||Start from November 18, 2020 (Tentative)||April 24, 2021, and April 25, 2021 (Tentative)||Online/Offline|
|VEE Exam 2021||December 2020 - April 30, 2021(Tentative)||May 13, 2021||Offline|
|Loyola Entrance Exam 2020||April 2020||July 2020||Offline|
*Dates might change due to COVID-19
How to Prepare for the Entrance Exam?
Points to keep in mind while preparing for the Entrance exams:
- The candidates should know the syllabus to start their preparation accordingly.
- They should refer to the previous question papers to understand the pattern of the question papers and the type of questions asked.
- Logical reasoning, general knowledge, and maths are the sections that are usually asked in most of the entrance exams. Candidates usually take up coaching classes to improve themselves in these sections.
- The course books should be referred along with the other highly recommended books for the entrance exam.
- Other sections that should be prepared are computer languages, English & vocabulary.
- Taking mock tests can help to improve the speed and also will test the amount of preparation.
How to Get Admission in a Good College?
- Check out the top colleges in the area that you want to study
- Narrow down the colleges based on your criteria like fees, ease of access, geographical location, etc.
- Visit the college websites and read up on the eligibility and admission process
- Follow the instructions given by the colleges to the dot.
- Keep a track of all the news updates of the colleges that you want to apply to. In case of doubt, call the management and get updated information.
- Keep conducting mock interviews for oneself.
- If colleges conduct entrance exams, solve the previous year’s question papers
- Talk to alumni from those colleges to get a clear idea on what to do.
- Do well in the board exam.
BCom Computer Applications: What it is about?
- The BCom Computer Applications is a degree that equips students with knowledge in both commerce as well as in computers.
- The degree will teach the students all the technicalities involved with respect to the computer applications and how to use them in business after graduation. This course bridges commerce and computer applications which in turn helps the students to become smart and employable.
- Also, training in Computer Applications in the field of commerce provides extra mileage in placements.
- Students will gain an in-depth understanding of the working of the field of commerce as well as the IT field.
- This course is perfect for those who want to work in both the fields or even in either field as it will give them an edge over the competitors.
- You can work in areas like IT industry, educational institutes, computer training centers, computer repair shops, banking sector, web designing, etc.
- You could also work as a mobile app developer, computer operator, computer application specialist, computer scientist, accounts assistant, etc.
- The curriculum taught is modern and innovative which gives the students a much broader outlook on how the market functions.
BCom Computer Applications Course Highlights
The main points with regards to this course have been highlighted like the fees, salary that can expect, job opportunities, etc in the table below:
|Full Form||Bachelors of Commerce in Company Applications|
|Eligibility||10+2 marks in the chosen subjects or an overall of min. 45% aggregate|
|Course fees||INR 15K - INR 2 lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 5 lakh|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Deloitte, TCS, Wipro, Infosys|
|Job position||Business Analyst, Business Consultant, Auditor, Computer Programmer, App Developer|
Why study BCom Computer Applications?
- A candidate who has a degree in this course is assumed to have skills in both commerce and computers.
- Useful skills in the field of commerce like accountancy, economics, etc which can be used for one’s own betterment and future career growth.
- You would also have valuable computer skills and this will help you to under and help people by offering advice or services related to fixing computers like fixing the bugs in software, etc.
- It gives you an edge over computer graduates as you have the knowledge in commerce also, which makes you a desirable candidate for IT employers.
- The job opportunities are varied and great as you can work as an auditor, budget analyst, CA, CS, financial analyst, business consultant, etc.
- You can work in business, financial services, IT, etc.
- The job opportunities are great, the salary packages offered are decent and most of the colleges have placements to reputed companies offering attractive packages.
- In the future, you could also go for a master’s degree to specialize in either one of the fields of your choice.
BCom Computer Application vs BCA
BCom Computer Applications as the name clearly suggests that it is a degree that specializes in Commerce as well as in Computer Applications whereas BCA is a course that provides the learning of basics software development and computer applications. Below, we have highlighted the difference between the two and colleges that offer the respective courses.
Check here: Top BCA Colleges in India
|Parameters||BCom Computer Applications||BCA|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Commerce in Computer Applications||Bachelors of Computer Application|
|Course Overview||It’s an under-graduation degree which will give you knowledge in fundamentals of commerce along with an in-depth understanding of computer applications||It includes the fundamentals of software development and computer application. It includes everything from computer programming to networking.|
|Eligibility||10+2 marks on the chosen subjects or an overall of min. 45% aggregate||10+2 in any stream with at least 50% marks.|
|Admission process||Merit-based||Merit-based/ Entrance Exam|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 15K - 2 lakh||INR 2 - 3 lakh|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5 lakh||INR 4 lakh|
|Colleges||WCC, Sacred Heart College, Loyola College, etc||Christ University, Loyola College, Amity Institute of Information Technology, etc|
|Job Positions||Auditor, Computer Programmer, App Developer||Software Developer, System Administrator, Technical Analyst. Programmer, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Commerce, IT, advertising services||Education, Multimedia, Banking, Security, IT, and surveillance.|
|Higher Studies||MCom Computer Application||MCA, MCM, MBA Information Management|
BCom Computer Applications Top Colleges
BCom Computer Application is a specific specialization course and it is available in only a few colleges in India. The table below gives the top colleges with respect to this course in India along with the fee structure and expected placement package if you graduate from any one of these colleges.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|6||Loyola College||Chennai||INR 13,840||INR 2,50,00|
|9||St. Gits College of Applied Sciences||Kottayam||INR 22,500||INR 3,00,000|
|38||Women’s Christian College||Chennai||INR 56,000||INR 2,30,000|
|52||VELS||Chennai||INR 40,800||INR 4,50,000|
|55||Sacred Heart College||Thevara||INR 34,350||INR 3,50,000|
|57||IIMC||Hyderabad||INR 32,300||INR 7,20,000|
|73||Jain University||Bangalore||INR 1,20,000||INR 7,00,000|
|93||Mahatma Gandhi University||Kerala||INR 18,000||INR 4,20,000|
|97||St. Albert’s College||Ernakulam||INR 15,248||INR 2,10,000|
|-||Kakatiya University||Telangana||-||INR 3,50,000|
BCom Computer Applications College Comparison
A comparison between the best colleges offering BCom Computer Applications in India. In the table below, we have taken three top colleges that offer this course to do a comparative analysis in the lines of the eligibility process, fees, recruitment, etc.
|Parameters||Mahatma Gandhi University||St. Gits College of Applied Science||WCC, Chennai|
|Overview||Mahatma Gandhi University is a state-run college that offers various courses along with BCom Computer Application||St. Gits College of Applied Science is a private college that offers courses in the field of applied sciences.||Women Christian College is a private girl’s college that offers different commerce courses.|
|Eligibility||45% minimum aggregate in qualifying exams||45% minimum aggregate in qualifying exams||45% minimum aggregate in qualifying exams|
|Average Fees||INR 18,000||INR 22,500||INR 56,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,80,000||INR 3,50,000||INR 4,20,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Infosys, Wipro, Oracle, UST Global||KPMG, IBM, Tech Mahindra||Cognizant, Wipro, HP, HCL|
BCom Computer Applications Syllabus
Mentioned below is the syllabus of the BCom Computer Application. There might be few changes depending from colleges to colleges.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Financial Accounting – 1||Financial Accounting – 1|
|Business Economics||Managerial Economics|
|Business Organization||Second Language|
|Second Language||Principles of Management|
|Information Technology||Relational Database Management System|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Principles of Insurance Business||English|
|Business Statistics - 1||Second Language|
|Second Language||Income Tax – II|
|Advanced Accounting||The practice of Life Insurance|
|Income Tax – I||Business Statistics -II|
|Programming with C||Programming with C++|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Practise of General Insurance||Regulation of Insurance Business|
|Business Law||Company Law|
|Cost Accounting||Managerial Accounting|
|Banking Theory||Commerce Lab|
|Computerized Accounting||Financial Institutions and Markets|
Some of the books that are referred to during the course or can be helpful for preparing for BCom Computer Applications Entrance exams are mentioned in the table below:
|Basics of Computer Applications in Business (BCom)||Hem Chand Jain & H.N. Tiwari|
|Computer Applications in Business||Priyanka|
|Computer Applications in Business (CBCS)||Dr. Sushil Kumar Sharma & Ms. Mansi Bansal|
BCom Computer Applications Job Prospects and Career Options
Students who have completed BCom Computer Applications will get jobs in both Public and Private sectors. They can work in a variety of fields ranging from advertising, software, e-business, and management related jobs.
- They can work in many reputed companies post completion of the degree.
- This degree gives the flexibility to choose between the commerce field or in the field of IT or in a combination of two.
- The graduates can work as a chartered accountant, business analyst, budget analyst, financial consultant, computer software developer, etc.
Some of the job options along with the description and annual salary are mentioned in the table below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale|
|Auditor||They audit the business records and verify the accuracy of the financial records. They point out any discrepancies and fraud.||INR 4,80,000|
|Computer Programmer||They will have to work on the existing computer languages and keep updating them, if possible to make a new language, etc.||INR 8,50,000|
|Business Consultant||They help the clients to improve their business by analyzing, strategizing, planning, etc.||INR 9,80,000|
|Mobile App Developer||They are responsible for creating and testing program apps that can be used in phones.||INR 5,00,000|
|Business Analyst||They help the company by guiding businesses in improving processes, products, services, and software through data analysis||INR 6,50,000|
BCom Computer Applications Future Scope
The degree helps to have a base in two current fields that is commerce and computers, which in turn gives a wide range of opportunities in both public and private sectors, especially in reputed companies. It also opens up opportunities for higher studies.
Career Options after BCom Computer Applications
- The graduates can work as a chartered accountant and work in big companies as their accountant.
- They can be an auditor, that is the person responsible for verifying all the business records and transactions.
- They can be a computer programmer or a mobile app developer. Here they can use their computer skills to acquire and build something creative and useful for the public to use.
- They can be business analysts or consultants, i.e. help businesses to gain more clients and income by strategizing with them on different financial plans, etc.
- You can also work in advertisements, management, software fields, etc.
Study Options after BCom Computer Applications
- They can pursue master’s degree courses like MCom Computer Applications, Masters Computer Application in Software Systems (MCA), MCom Finance, etc.
- They can also prepare for the Chartered Accountant exams like the CA exams or the ACCA.
- They can go for an MBA in Finance, etc. if they want to build a career in the management field with high paying jobs.
BCom Computer Applications has various and wide career options which therefore makes it easier for you to choose as per your requirements. You also have varied courses to choose from, if you want to continue studying further.
Ques. What is BCom Computer Applications?
Ans. It is a commerce degree that also teaches you the basics of all computer applications.
Ques. What is the scope of doing BCom with Computer Applications?
Ans. You can find a lot of career opportunities in the field of accounting, banking, marketing, e-commerce, teaching, insurance, and stock markets.
Ques. What course can I pursue after completing the BCom Computer Application course?
Ans. One of the most common courses that can be pursued is CA, M.Com, MBA in Finance, etc.
Ques. Is studying this course a good choice?
Ans. Yes, as it will give a base in both computers as well as in accounting and commerce.
Ques. What is the difference between BCom and BCom Computer Applications?
Ans. The BCom Computer Applications students will have a detailed knowledge of the core electrical and computer subjects also whereas BCom students will have knowledge in accounting, economics, etc.
Ques. Is BCom Computer Application a good field?
Ans. Yes, it is a good field as it provides a lot of opportunities.
Ques. Is BCom Computer Application harder than BCom?
Ans. No, the course is not harder than BCom, the students will have to study a few extra subjects in addition to the common commerce subjects.
Ques. What are the subjects taught in the first year of BCom Computer Application?
Ans. The basics of accounting, commercial law, and macro-economics are a few of the subjects that will be introduced in the first year.
Ques. Will I get a job after being a graduate in BCom Computer Applications?
Ans. Yes, as there are many career opportunities for BCom (C.A) graduates.