MBA Information Technology, better known as MBA IT, is a 2-year long postgraduate master degree program in management. With a rise in the era of digitisation, the demand for this MBA specialisation is increasing every day. It is considered to be one of the most sought-after MBA specialisations of the current times.
The minimum eligibility required to pursue this course is a bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized institute with an aggregate of 50% marks or an equivalent CGPA. Certain institutes might even ask for some work experience and an experience of 2 years is relevant.
Check the top MBA entrance exams in India to get admission in this course.
This course is especially designed for IT sector professionals who are looking for managerial positions. This course adequately mixes studies related to business and management along with studies related to technology. It covers technical topics like system analysis and design, database management systems, etc.
Admissions are granted on the basis of entrance exam scores. After the entrance exam, the candidates who qualify the cutoff declared by the respective institutions are called for counselling. The counselling process generally involves writing tests, group discussion, followed by PI round.
Here is a list of some of the top MBA IT colleges in India, along with their NIRF ranking and average fees charged.
|NIRF 2020 Ranking||College Name||Entrance Exam||Average Annual Fees||Average Salary (in INR)|
|1||IIM, Ahmedabad||CAT||INR 11,50,000||25.83 LPA|
|2||IIM, Bangalore||CAT||INR 11,58,000||26.28 LPA|
|3||IIM, Calcutta||CAT||INR 11,30,000||27 LPA|
|4||IIM, Lucknow||CAT||INR 11,65,000||24.25 LPA|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur||XAT||INR 11,50,000||24.35 LPA|
A 2 year residential MBA IT programme at premier institutes in India will cost on an average of INR 10-23 Lakh.
The average placement package of MBA Jobs offered by most of the top colleges is in the range of INR 25 - 30 lakh per annum.
An MBA in IT will provide you with the skills needed to manage both IT systems and employees, combining the traditional business knowledge of an MBA with specialized courses on information security, telecommunications and IT project management, to name a few.
After completing this course, the candidate can pursue a career in managerial position in various IT firms of India, along with a lot of job opportunities in the finance and taxation sector as well.
If the candidate wants to pursue higher studies, then he/she can go for higher courses like M. Phil and PhD. After completing PhD, one can become a professor in various management colleges.
MBA IT Admission Process
Admission in MBA IT is done via two modes- either through an entrance exam or direct admission which is based on merit basis or management quota basis. The process generally consists of 4 Steps.
Step 1: Register & Apply for MBA Entrance Exam
One of the most important exams for MBA is CAT. You can register for it on the official website iimcat.in. For other exams like NMAT, XAT, CMAT, and SNAP, you will have to register separately.
Step 2: Appear in MBA Entrance Exam
Appear for the respective exams and then wait for the result.
Step 3: Shortlisting Process
The shortlisting will be done on the basis of the number of students who gave the exams and the number of seats available. Cutoff for all the colleges will be announced.
Step 4: Final Admission Process- GD-PI-WAT Round
In this round Group Discussion and the Personal Interview takes place and both of them have different weightage.
MBA IT Eligibility
Students who wish to pursue MBA in IT must fulfill the below listed criteria-
Must have a bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized Indian or foreign university.
Must have qualified the respective entrances tests of colleges.
MBA IT Entrance Exams
There are more than 10 management entrance exams conducted by national bodies, IIMs and private & public colleges, required to get admission in the top MBA colleges in India.
In 2019, more than 2.44 Lakhs students applied for the CAT exam, making it one of the top MBA entrance exams. Other entrance exams include MAT, XAT, GMAT, SNAP, etc.
- CAT 2020: Common Aptitude Test or CAT is a computer based test that is accepted in colleges such as IIMs, IITs, among others for admission into MBA courses.
- MAT 2020: Management Aptitude Test or MAT is conducted four times in a year in an online or offline mode, and is accepted in colleges such as VIT Business School, Christ University etc.
- XAT 2020: Xavier Aptitude Test or XAT is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur for admission in its various management courses.
- GMAT: GMAT is a computerized based test, conducted to get admission into management courses in US universities and colleges. But it is accepted in many Indian universities as well like IIM Ahmedabad, XLRI, etc.
- SNAP 2020: Symbiosis National Aptitude Test or SNAP is conducted by Symbiosis University for admission into various UG and PG courses.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Application Period||Exam Date|
|CAT 2020||Computer Based||August 7- September 25, 2020||November 2020 (Tentative)|
|MAT 2020||Computer Based and Pen Paper Based||March 6- June 16, 2020||June 21, 2020|
|XAT 2020||Online||Third week of August- Second week of December, 2020||First week of January 2021|
|GMAT||Computer Based||All around the year||As per your selection after the registration|
|SNAP||Online||From August to November||December|
|NMAT||Online||From July to October||As per your selection after the registration during October to December period|
How to prepare for MBA IT Entrance Exams?
You should know the full syllabus of the entrance exam that you are planning to give. Mainly, there are three sections in almost all the entrance exams, which are:
- Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
- Quantitative Aptitude/ Reasoning
Apart from this, there may be a General Knowledge (GK) section as well. The weightage for the sections change according to the institute and also changes yearly.
You can prepare well for these exams if you follow a timetable and give at least 2-3 hours a day for the preparation.
Points to keep in mind while preparing for MBA IT Exams are:
- Verbal Reasoning can be called one of the difficult sections of the exam since the questions include Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning and Vocabulary. Hence, more time should be given for its preparation. Do as much reading as you can, so as to score well in this section, apart from solving questions from the sample papers.
- Quantitative Ability tests include some of the most important topics of Mathematics of high school level like Geometry, Mensuration, Probability, Progressions, Matrices, Permutations & Combinations, Number systems and others. The questions are mostly tricky hence practice as many questions as you can to keep your concept clear. Your mental mathematics should be strong to score high in this section.
- For General Awareness questions, basic knowledge of Current Affairs and Static GK will be sufficient. Read newspapers and news articles every day to stay updated on the current affairs.
- Try to give many time based tests as this will make you better prepared for the exam day. For computer-based tests, manage time for all the sections in such a way that you get a chance to attempt all the questions.
- Solve at least 10-12 timed Mock Tests after you have completed your preparation.
- Give time for revision as well, and don’t cram anything on the day of the exam. Be calm and confident, and don’t think anything negative before entering the exam hall.
How to Get Admission in a Good MBA College?
- Since most of the top management colleges require you to qualify one of the entrance exams, therefore you are going to need a good percentile in one of the entrance exams like CAT, MAT or XAT, among others.
- Be mentally and physically prepared with further rounds after the entrance exam i.e. the group discussion and personal interview.
- Keep a track of important dates of the entrance exams so that you can register for the exam on time.
- Be updated with current affairs as this will help in clearing the entrance exam and the interview round.
- Start preparing for the entrance exam a year before and keep your target college in mind.
MBA IT: What is it About?
- An MBA in IT will provide you with the skills needed to manage both IT systems and employees, combining the traditional business knowledge of an MBA with specialized courses on information security, telecommunications and IT project management.
- The syllabus will cover topics from both management and IT subjects in detail.
- Though the course is open for any graduate, it is specifically designed for engineering graduates looking for managerial positions in the IT sector companies.
- The syllabus will prepare a candidate to helm any IT based project in future.
MBA IT Course Highlights
Some of the popular and commonly asked highlights of this course are given in the table below.
|Course Name||MBA IT|
|Duration||2 years (4 semesters or 6 trimesters)|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance test+GD+PI|
|Top Entrance Exams||CAT, XAT, NMAT, CMAT, SNAP, MAT, etc.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 12-15 Lakhs|
|Average Salary after the course||INR 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting companies||Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Accenture, IBM etc.|
Why MBA IT?
- MBA IT is one of the most in-demand MBA courses in India right now.
- The candidates will get huge job opportunities in various IT firms along with opportunities in Finance sector, Taxation sector, Corporate Sector, and many more.
- The application of this course is not restricted to the IT sector only. So, candidates, after passing this course, can actually choose in which field they want to work.
- With complete digitization of workplaces all around the world, the importance of this course is expected to rise further in future.
- MBA is often called a Career Accelerator as it enables MBA graduates to command for higher salaries.
- It is there to satisfy one's enthusiasm and hunger for success. If you are looking to become a top entrepreneur, then MBA has that potential.
- You can explore various Business related avenues and brush up your business knowledge and technical skills.
MBA and PGDM are 2 often confused courses by students. So, here we bring to you the chief differences between PGDM and MBA IT courses.
|Overview||It is a post-graduate program which is of fixed 2 years duration. The students are taught about every aspect of the course in detail, with equal emphasis on both theory and practical courses.||It is a post-graduate diploma course for working professionals. It does not have any fixed time frame and varies from institute to institute. It mainly focuses on practical knowledge rather than theoretical knowledge.|
|Institute type||Generally, the colleges which are affiliated to a university can offer an MBA course. For eg: IIM, Xavier Labour Institute, etc.||Autonomous institutes like IIMs, XLRI, SIBM, etc can offer PGDM courses. They are approved by AICTE.|
|Objective||An MBA in IT will provide you with the skills needed to manage both IT systems and employees.||It is more focussed on giving practical knowledge. A practical approach is being used for every aspect. Moreover, students will become industry-oriented and adaptable to the corporate world.|
|Duration||2 years||1-2 years|
|Curriculum||The curriculum is not revised frequently as the colleges cannot introduce changes without the consent of the university||The curriculum is flexible here as the colleges can introduce elemental changes on their own|
|Fees||10-23 lakhs||10-30 lakhs|
Source: College Websites
MBA IT Colleges
Some of the top MBA IT colleges in India are given in the table below along with their fees and placement package.
|Name||Location||Average Annual Fee (INR)||Average Placement Package (INR)|
|Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi University||New Delhi||10,480||23.1 LPA|
|ICFAI Business School||Hyderabad||7,02,000||7.32 LPA|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||6,00,000||18.91 LPA|
|IIM, Ahmedabad||Ahmedabad||11,50,000||25.83 LPA|
|IIM, Lucknow||Lucknow||11,65,000||24.25 LPA|
|IIM, Bangalore||Bangalore||11,58,000||26.28 LPA|
|GIBS Business School||Bangalore||6,15,000||5.35 LPA|
|IIM, Calcutta||Kolkata||11,58,000||27. LPA|
Source: College Websites
Want to study MBA abroad? Read about studying MBA abroad in detail.
The top colleges offering this course in India have been compared below. We have considered parameters like Ranking, Admission Process, Fees and Top Recruiters.
|College Name||IIM Ahmedabad||Faculty of Management Studies, DU||Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur|
|Overview||One of the top 3 management colleges in India, IIM Ahmedabad is renowned for its rigorous methods of teaching not only in India but also abroad.||The management Faculty of Delhi University which provides MBA courses at a very low fees.||One of the most renowned private management institutions in our country. This college has been ranked consistently under top 10 management colleges in our country.|
|Ranking and Recognition||NIRF 2020 - 1||Outlook India - 4||NIRF 2020 - 9|
|Average Fees (annual)||INR 11,50,000||INR 10,480||INR 11,50,000|
|Average Placement package (INR)||25.83 LPA||23.1 LPA||24.35 LPA|
|Top recruiting companies||TCS, HCL, BCG||GlaxoSmithKline, ITC, ICI Paints.||Capgemini, Hindustan Unilever, Deloitte|
MBA IT Distance Learning
- Correspondence MBA or Distance MBA is chiefly meant for people with limited time and resources.
- A working professional, fresh graduate, or stay-at-home mother – anyone interested in pursuing an MBA course can opt for it.
- All one requires is a bachelor’s degree and meeting the course eligibility criteria.
- Also, the cost of Distance MBA is much less than Regular MBA. MBA IT Distance Education is preferred by a number of people.
MBA IT Syllabus
MBA in IT focuses on the following fields:
- IT entrepreneurship
- Bio design Data
- Big data and data mining
- Supply chain management
- New energy technology
The basic course structure is the same for all the MBA courses. In the first year, all the essentials are taught and from second year onwards elective courses will be there.
We have described the MBA IT syllabus in the table below:
|Semester I Syllabus||Semester II Syllabus|
|Organizational Behaviour||Organization Effectiveness and Change|
|Quantitative Methods||Management Science|
|Managerial Economics||Economic Environment of Business|
|Financial Accounting||Financial Management|
|Marketing Management||Management Accounting|
|Human Resource Management||Operation Management|
|Business Communication||Marketing Research|
|Information Technology Management||Management of Information System|
|Semester III Syllabus||Semester IV Syllabus|
|Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility||Project Study|
|Legal Environment of Business||Strategic Management|
|Strategic Analysis||International Business Environment|
|Elective Course||Elective Course|
|Managing E-Business/ Business Intelligence||Business Process Re-Engineering|
|System Analysis and Design||Database Management Systems|
|Strategic Management of Information Technology||Knowledge Management|
|Managing IT-Enabled Services||Network Operations, Management & Security|
MBA IT Jobs and Career Prospects
In recent years, it has been observed that the MBA IT scope is enormous. MBA in Information Technology Management is a combination of two very dynamic aspects of any business, management expertise & information technology. Such graduates can find jobs in both the private and public sectors.
IT management is a broad term that encompasses various aspects of technology-related activities. MBA in IT professionals can find career opportunities in Defense, Space agencies and also in the Automobile sector.
Government Sector Jobs
The government sector also provides a platform for MBA IT professionals to build up a career by offering various career opportunities in several undertakings. Following are some of such public sector undertakings:
- Indian Railways
- Indian Air Force
In the table below, we have discussed the MBA IT Job profiles along with their description and average salary offered.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary (in INR)|
|CTO (Chief Technology Officers)||CTO's job is to identify opportunities and risks for the business. They also have to manage the research and development (R&D) department, communicate the company's technology strategy to partners, management, investors and employees.||25 Lakhs|
|CIO (Chief Information Officers)||The chief information officer (CIO) is a job profile of senior executives in an enterprise who is responsible for the information technology and computer systems that support enterprise goals.||20 Lakhs|
|Information Technology Directors||An IT director is responsible for the management, strategy, and execution of IT infrastructure for an organization. They also have the responsibility to Oversee technical projects in alignment with organizational goals.||34 Lakhs|
|Information System Managers||Information System Managers manage the work of other IT professionals, like computer engineers, systems analysts, data security specialists, and computer support specialists.||11 Lakhs|
|Project Manager -IT Software||Project Manager’s job is to plan, budget, oversee and document all aspects of the specific project. They may work closely with upper management to make sure that the scope and direction of each project are on schedule, as well as other departments for support.||18 Lakhs|
|Program Manager||Program Manager provides strategic guidance to teams and project managers in ways that promote the company's culture. They also oversee the progress of operations and develop efficient strategies and tactics.||19 Lakhs|
MBA IT Top Recruiters
Following are some top recruiting national companies for MBA IT graduate:
There are several foreign companies also that look for individuals and their competitive skills, like Apple, Foxconn, HP, ESPN, ABC, Disney, Microsoft etc.
MBA IT Salary Trends
- India is one of the best places for MBA IT Graduates, as it is a hub of many IT MNCs. There are numerous job opportunities in cities like Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Noida, Gurugram, etc.
- The average salary offered to a fresher is INR 3-5 lakh per annum while it is INR 10-15 lakh per annum offered for candidates who have experience of 5 years or more.
- This is much higher when it comes to the top-tier institutions.
- The salary hike in this industry is 6% per year or above.
MBA IT Future Scope
- The Information Technology (IT) industry is the reason behind India’s economic transformation and has opened up a number of opportunities in various sectors.
- MBA IT enables students to learn the in-depths of various things related to Information Technology.
- There is a huge scope of employment after this course not just in India, but across the globe after pursuing this specialization.
- It is seen that in the recent years, world renowned companies like McKinsey and Company, Boston Consulting Group, Bain and Company, etc, are coming to India for placements.
After an MBA IT, you can go for a fellow programme and certifications described below:
- Fellow Programme in Management or FPM: It is a four-year doctoral programme aimed to train students for research and training in various fields of business and management
- Financial Risk Manager Exam: It is for those professionals interested in a career in risk management.
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA): There is a growing demand for professionals who are expected to monitor the information technology and business systems and processes of any organization. This certification helps provides you with the required skill and knowledge in this area.
Sometimes, when the students are not satisfied with the college they are having an MBA degree from, they choose to go for a bigger, better MBA from a globally recognized international business school. You can also go for a Ph.D. in Management Studies and M. Phil.
MBA IT FAQs
Ques. What’s the scope of MBA in IT in India?
Ques. Which are the top colleges in India that offer MBA in IT?
Ques. How is the future of MBA in IT?
Ques. What will the average cost be to complete an MBA in IT?
Ques. What is the average salary offered to an MBA IT graduate?