CMAT Exam Pattern is provided in detail by NTA. No major changes are expected in the exam pattern for CMAT 2022.
- The exam conducting body introduced a new optional section of Innovation & Entrepreneurship in CMAT 2021 exam which consisted of 25 questions with an additional time limit of 30 minutes.
- CMAT 2022 exam is expected to be conducted in February 2022 and CMAT application process will tentatively begin in the last week of December 2022.
- Candidates must prepare all the important topics as per the latest CMAT test pattern & syllabus to crack the exam. Check CMAT Syllabus 2022
- NTA will conduct CMAT 2022 in online Computer Based Test mode.
- CMAT 2022 will have 5 sections viz. Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation, Language Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and General Awareness as per updated CMAT Exam Pattern.
- As per past trends, 25 questions carrying 4 marks each will be asked from each section. Candidates are advised to prepare each section well in order to crack CMAT 2022 exam. Check CMAT Preparation Strategy
CMAT Exam Pattern 2022
|Mode||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Duration||3 hours (30 minutes extra for candidates opting for Innovation & Entrepreneurship section)|
|Sectional Time Limit||No|
|Nature of Questions||Objective Type (MCQ’s)|
|Number of Choices||Four Choices, out of which only one choice will be correct|
|Number of Questions||125 Questions*|
|Total Marks||125 Marks|
|Marks Awarded||+4 for every correct answer|
|Negative Marking||-1 for every wrong answer|
*An extra optional section consisting of 25 questions was added to CMAT 2021 exam. It is expected that this section on Innovation and Entrepreneurship will be included in CMAT 2022 as well.
Section-wise CMAT Exam Pattern 2022
As per CMAT 2022 Exam Pattern, there will be 5 sections in the exam and each section will carry an equal weightage of 25 marks.
|Section||Number of questions|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||25|
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship (optional)||25|
Candidates must take note of the following points regarding CMAT exam pattern:
- Candidates can switch between sections at their convenience. However, it is recommended that candidates complete a section before moving on to the next one.
- Candidates can attempt the questions in any order. There is no restriction on going back and forth in CMAT question paper.
- There will be no sectional time limit in CMAT 2022 as per the latest paper pattern.
Candidates must go through the below-mentioned table to know about the types of questions and important topics for each section in CMAT exam:
|Section||Question Type||Important Questions|
|Language Comprehension||Fill in the blanks, Reading Comprehension, etc.||para-jumbles, fill in the blanks, identification of word meaning by selecting correct synonyms and antonyms, idioms, sentence correction, identification of correct sentences, etc.|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||Standalone Questions||bar graphs, pie charts, tables, Arithmetic operations, Modern Maths, Geometry, Quadratic and Linear Equations, Number Systems, Fraction and Decimals,|
|Logical Reasoning||Set-Based Questions/ Standalone Questions||Puzzles, Statements and Conclusions, Cause and effect, Assumptions and Conclusions and missing term|
|General Awareness||Standalone Questions||Conventional, Current and Business & Economics General Knowledge|
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship||Standalone Questions||Economic Survey, Business current affairs, Startups & Innovation, RBI, Banking regulation and reforms, government schemes, and economic current affairs.|
Marking Scheme for CMAT Exam 2022
Candidates need to be aware of the Marking Scheme for CMAT 2022. The details of the marking scheme as per CMAT Test Pattern 2022 are tabulated below:
|For Every Correct Response||+4|
|For Every Wrong Response||-1|
|For Unattempted Question||0|
CMAT Syllabus 2022
|Language Comprehension||Jumbled Paragraphs, Reading Comprehension, English Grammar, Sentence Correction, Paragraph Completion, \ Idioms and Phrases, English Usage Errors, Sentence Improvement, One-word substitution, Synonyms, Antonyms, Phrases|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||Number Systems, Fraction and Decimals, Geometry, Quadratic and Linear Equations, Tabulation, Partnership, Simple Interest, and Compound Interest Probability, Profit and Loss, Percentages, Mensuration, Averages, Work and Time, Graph, Ratios and Proportion of Line, Pipes and Cisterns, Time-Speed-Distance, Allegations and Mixtures, Permutations and Combinations, Algebra Pie Chart, Bar Charts|
|Logical Reasoning||Analytical Reasoning, Statement Assumptions, Analogy Test, Inferences, Statement Arguments, Non-Verbal Reasoning, Cause and Effects, Statement and Conclusion, Blood Relationship, Symbol Based Problems, Sequencing, Matrix Arrangements, Number Series, Coding and Decoding, Direction and Distance Test, Ranking Tests|
|General Awareness||Current Affairs of National and International Economy, Personalities in News, Indian Constitution, Sports News, Trade Awareness, Politics, History, Culture, Geography, Economics, Sports Science in Everyday Life|
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship||Budget & Economic Survey, Business current affairs, New Investments & Opportunities, Important Events & Developments related to the financial & economic sectors, Schemes and Policies related to Entrepreneurship and business promotion, Startups & Innovation, Banking regulation, organizations & reforms, general economy, and current affairs.|
CMAT Paper Analysis: Difficulty Level and Good Attempts
CMAT paper is usually of moderate level and as per the analysis of previous year papers, the following can be deduced about the difficulty level and the number of good attempts:
Number Of Questions
Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
Easy to Moderate
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship||25||15-17||Easy to Moderate|
CMAT 2022 Exam Pattern: Key Points
CMAT paper pattern for the 2022 session is expected to remain the same as the exam pattern of CMAT exam conducted on March 31, 2021. Given below are some of the key points to remember as per the revised paper pattern for CMAT exam:
- There is no sectional time limit and candidates can switch between sections during the exam.
- Marks will neither be awarded nor deducted for unattempted questions.
- Candidates opting for the Innovation & Entrepreneurship section of CMAT paper will be given extra time of 30 minutes.
- CMAT releases mock tests on the website to help the registered candidates to familiarize themselves with CMAT exam pattern, difficulty level, and the types of questions.
- CMAT 2022 exam will be conducted in CBT mode and as per the rules, candidates will be provided A4 size sheets for rough work.
- Candidates will not be allowed to take any breaks during CMAT 2022 exam.
CMAT 2022 Preparation Tips
- Go through CMAT exam pattern & syllabus 2022 thoroughly to ensure that your preparation strategy is in line with the updated CMAT test pattern.
- Solve at least 2 mock tests every week. Initially, your score may be less but eventually, it will improve with more and more practice.
- Maintain consistency in CMAT exam preparation and prepare a fixed schedule to ensure optimum utilization of time.
- Take regular breaks of 1 hour between two study periods to freshen up your mind and retain what has been learned.
- To Improve vocabulary and reading speed, one must definitely start reading newspapers, journals, online articles, etc., and make notes of new words encountered during the process.
- Prioritize CMAT preparation for areas that need more time and effort on your part.
- Refer to some leading youtube preparation channels to learn short tricks and formulas to save time during the actual CMAT exam 2022.
Best Books for CMAT 2022
|Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation||Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||RS Agarwal|
|Accredited Guide to Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation Data Sufficiency||Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan|
|Logical Reasoning||A modern approach to logical reasoning||RS Agarwal|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit Sinha|
|Language Comprehension||The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability||Sujit Kumar|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension?||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|CAT Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Gautam Puri|
|General Awareness||General Knowledge||Disha Experts|
|Face To Face MAT With 19 Years (1997-2016)||BS Sijwali|
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship||Manorama Year Book||Mammen Mathew|
|India Year Book||Rajiv Mehrishi|
|Budget & Economic Survey||-|
CMAT Recommended Newspapers/Magazines
|The Indian Express|
|Hindu Business Line|
|Manorama Year Book|
|Competition Success Review|
CMAT Previous Year Papers
It is very important to practice CMAT previous year papers as they are extremely beneficial in devising the right preparation strategy. Practicing CMAT mock tests is also of utmost importance for all candidates appearing for CMAT exam 2022. Attempting CMAT previous year papers help in:
- Increasing speed and accuracy to mark all the correct answers within the specified time frame
- Get a real-time idea of CMAT exam pattern & important topics of CMAT syllabus
- Understand the difficulty level of CMAT exam
- Understand the difficulty level of CMAT exam
|CMAT Previous Year Question Papers||Link to Download PDFs|
|CMAT 2021 Question Papers with Solutions||Download PDFs|
|CMAT 2020 Question Papers with Solutions||Download PDFs|
|CMAT 2019 Question Papers with Solutions||Download PDFs|
|CMAT 2018 Question Papers with Solutions||Download PDFs|
XAT vs CAT vs SNAP vs CMAT Exam Pattern - A Comparative Analysis
Given below is a comparative analysis of CMAT exam pattern with that of other management competitive exams.
|Mode of Exam||Computer Based Test||Computer Based Test||Computer Based Test||Computer Based Test|
|Number of Questions||100||100||60||100 + 25(optional)|
|Total Time Duration||180 minutes||180 minutes||60 minutes||180 minutes + 30 minutes extra(for Innovation & Entrepreneurship section)|
|Type of Questions||MCQs||MCQ and Subjective Type||MCQs||MCQs|
|Marking Scheme||+1 mark for a correct answer||+3 mark for a correct answer||+1 mark for a correct answer||+4 mark for a correct answer|
|- 0.25 mark for an incorrect answer||No Negative Marking for subjective questions||- 0.25 mark for an incorrect answer||- 1 mark for an incorrect answer|
|Beyond 8 unanswered questions, 0.05 marks will be deducted for each unanswered question.||-1 marks for every wrong answer in objective questions|
|Sectional Time Limit||None||1 hour for each section||None||None|
|Sections||Verbal & Reading Comprehension||Verbal and Logical Ability||Analytical & Logical Reasoning||Language Comprehension|
|Quantitative Ability||Decision Making||Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency||Logical Reasoning|
|Data adequacy and logical reasoning||Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||General English: Reading Comprehension, Verbal Reasoning, Verbal Ability||General Awareness|
|General Knowledge||Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation|
Check Top MBA Entrance Exams:
CMAT Exam Pattern 2022 FAQs
Ques. Does NTA release mock tests for CMAT exam?
Ans. Yes, NTA releases an official CMAT mock test which the registered candidates can attempt at the designated test practice centers.
Ques. Has the Exam Pattern for CMAT 2022 changed?
Ans. In 2021, a new optional section on Innovation and Entrepreneurship was introduced to be attempted in 30 minutes. No new changes are expected in CMAT 2022 exam pattern, however, further details will be disclosed after the release of official notification for CMAT 2022.
Ques. Is there any sectional time limit in CMAT exam?
Ans. No, there is no sectional time limit in CMAT exam. You will be provided 180 minutes for attempting all four sections and you can divide your time for each section accordingly.
Ques. What are some of the most important topics in the GK section of CMAT?
Ans. Candidates should try to focus on current affairs, history, economy, and personalities in news the most.
Ques. How long should I study GK to prepare for CMAT 2022?
Ans. CMAT Toppers Kshitij Madan and Saras Suhane advise candidates to prepare daily for the GK section at least 3-4 months prior to the exam. This can be done alongside preparation for other exams and can be mixed with preparation for other topics.
Ques. I am appearing for multiple management exams. How should I divide my preparation?
Ans. CMAT Topper Shubhandeep Basak appeared for many management entrance exams such as XAT, CAT, IIFT, SNAP, NMAT, and MAH CET, aside from CMAT and stated that he utilized the same preparation strategy for all of them:
- After completing a certain section, he would take section-wise mock tests to figure out his weaknesses.
- After working rigorously on his faults, he would take full-length mock tests.
- His main objective in completing mock tests included getting comfortable with the test environment.
- For preparation, he used material provided by T.I.M.E institute, as well as Quantum Cat by Sarvesh Sharma, MBA Entrance Examinations by Nishit Sinha, Six Weeks to Words of Power by Wilfred Funk, and Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis.
- For GK, he mainly kept himself updated by reading several different newspapers. Guesswork isn’t useful in this section since the applicant either knows the answer or doesn’t.
Ques. What strategy should I use for revising for CMAT 2022?
Ans. Don’t give a lot of mock tests for the sake of completing mock tests. Make sure that whenever you complete a test, you fully analyze it. If you are completing a full CMAT mock test, it is important to maintain your concentration for 3 hours so that you can replicate the test environment.
Do not create a very time-sensitive timetable, there should be space for flexibility. A subject should preferably be studied for 1-2 hours and not more than that. It is okay to mix subjects up. Since Logical Reasoning is time-consuming, it is better to attempt the sections that you are most comfortable with first and not get fixated when you work on the LR section.
Ques. I have accidentally put the wrong address on my CMAT Application form. Can I change it?
Ans. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the information on an application form that has already been submitted. You should re-register with the correct information.
Ques. Who should I talk to regarding my certificate requirements? How soon will I get a response?
Ans. CMAT Customer Care Support is available by phone and email from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm. The helpline numbers are 8429996897, 9453827201, and 9453827203. To email customer care support, you can contact email@example.com.
Queries will be responded to within 2 business days or 48 hours.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.