JEE Main 2022 Reservation criteria will be released along with the official brochure. Candidates belonging to SC, ST, OBC-NCL and EWS can avail a benefit of 15%, 7.5%, 27% and 10% respectively based on JEE Main Reservation. Also, candidates with 40% or more disability applying for JEE Main 2022 have a seat reservation benefit of 5% in each of the above-mentioned categories.
- In NITs, the seats are also reserved based on the State of Eligibility i.e., benefits based on the state from where the candidate has appeared for the qualifying exam. 50% of seats are reserved for Home State candidates and another 50% for Other State candidates.
- Candidates can avail the benefits of this reservation in terms of lower application fee, cutoff and admission fee payable at the time of JEE Main Counselling.
- The benefits of JEE Main 2022 Reservation for admission to NITs/IIITs or CFTIs is given only to classes/castes/tribes which are a part of the Central List published by GOI.
- Meanwhile, JEE Main 2022 Colleges that are run/aided/recognized by the State Government follow the reservations laid by the respective state governments.
JEE Main 2022 Reservation: Category-wise Criteria
JEE Main 2022 Reservation has been listed below for different categories as followed by engineering colleges under the Central Government:
|Categories||JEE Main Reservation Percentage|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|OBC (Non-Creamy Layer – NCL, where the annual income of family < Rs. 8 lakh)||27%|
|General Economically Weaker Section (General- EWS)||10%|
|Person with Disabilities (PwD) (Within Every Category)||5%|
JEE Main 2022 Reservation for Women Candidates
- A female candidate can apply under the All India Level or Women Quota System since most of the colleges reserve 5% seats for female candidates.
- For instance, there are colleges which offer relaxation to girls in terms of percentage of marks. So, if the cut off is somewhere around 98% for a particular seat/course, a girl can apply for the same seat at around 93%.
- For PwD female students, the relaxation is approximately an additional 3% under JEE Main reservation.
JEE Main 2022 Reservation for Persons with Disabilities (PwD)
Persons with disabilities (PwD) means a person with not less than 40% of a specified disability where specified disability has been defined in measurable terms, as certified by the certifying authority. “Specified Disability” means the disabilities as specified in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016. The categories of disabilities are:
- Blindness and low vision
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy
- Autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness
- Multiple disabilities from amongst persons under clauses (i) to (iv)
- Other ‘specified disabilities’ mentioned in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016:
Facility of Scribe/Reader/Lab Assistant
- The facility of Scribe/Reader/Lab Assistant should be allowed to any person with benchmark disability and has limitations in writing including that of speed, if wanted by him/her.
- In case of persons with benchmark disabilities in the category of blindness, Locomotor disability (both arm affected-BA) and cerebral palsy, the facility of scribe/reader/lab assistant shall be given, if so desired by the person.
- In case of other category of persons with benchmark disabilities, the provision of scribe/reader/lab assistant can be allowed on production of a certificate to the effect that the person concerned has physical limitation 5 to write, and scribe is essential to write examination on his behalf, from the Chief Medical Officer/Civil Surgeon/Medical Superintendent of a Government health care institution.
- The order further allows the candidate to opt for their own scribe/reader provided the qualification of the scribe is one step below the qualification of the candidate taking the examination.
- The candidate with bench-mark disabilities opting for their own scribe/reader should submit details of their own scribe.
- Twenty minutes per hour compensatory time as per duration of examination will also be allowed to the candidates who are availing the facility of scribe/reader/lab assistant.
- Candidates are advised to look for the details regarding the reservation policy at the time of admission.
JEE Main 2022 Reservation EWS Quota
Why behind the step?
- This move came after the 124th Amendment Bill in the Constitution of India, which was passed in the January session of the Parliament.
- As per this, 10% reservation in jobs and education belonging to the General quota candidates shall be granted to the EWS candidates.
Who falls under the EWS category?
- Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs, and OBCs
- Whose family has a gross annual income below Rs 8 lakh
- The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by a Competent Authority.
Who can’t access the EWS quota?
Regardless of what the family income is, if the candidates fall under any of the following, they can’t avail the benefits of EWS quota:
- Candidates whose families own 5 acres of agricultural land and above.
- Candidates who own a residential flat of 1,000 sq. ft. and above.
- Candidates whose parents possess a residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities.
- Candidates whose parents own a residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
Authorities which can issue an ‘Income and Asset Certificate’
Following is the list of the competent authorities who can issue an ‘Income and Asset Certificate’:
- District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional’ Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate! Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar
- Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides
JEE Main 2022 Reservation in State Universities
JEE Main 2022 reservation criteria in state universities will depend on the reservation criteria followed by the state.
|Home State Quota||Candidates of JEE Main who have passed class XII from a particular state and have cleared the examination will come under home state quota. These candidates will get preference in admission to the institutes of that state as compared to those who are from other states.|
|Other State Quota||This comprises JEE Main candidates who are applying from other states and union territories, apart from the home state.|
JEE Main 2022 Reservation of Seats in Different Institutes
Candidates can check JEE Main 2022 reservation criteria for IITs, NITs, CFTIs and state engineering colleges from the table given below:
|Name of Premier Institutes||Reservation Criteria|
|NIT (Other State Quota)||50% seats reserved for candidates belonging to all other states and Union Territories excluding Home State.|
|NIT (Home Quota)||50% seats are reserved|
|Centre Funded Technical Institutes||Based on Home Quota/ State Quota/ All India Quota|
|State Funded Technical Institutes|
|Government Funded Technical Institutes||Based on All India Quota|
|State Engineering Colleges||Based on State Quota|
JEE Main 2022 Eligibility for Different State Quotas
Eligibility of candidates for different state quotas in NITs, IIEST and two of the Other-GFTIs are provided in the table given below:
|All NITs except NIT Warangal, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra and Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur||Home State Quota||Candidates whose home state is same as the state in which the institute is located|
|Other State Quota||Candidates whose home state is different from the state in which the institute is located|
|Assam University, Silchar||Home State Quota||Candidates whose home state is Assam|
|All India Quota||All candidates (including home state candidates)|
|NIT Warangal||Home State Quota||Candidates whose home state is Telangana|
|Other State Quota||Other States candidates (including Andhra Pradesh)|
|Andhra Pradesh Quota||Candidates whose home state is Andhra Pradesh|
|NIT Goa||Home State Quota||40% for candidates whose home state is Goa and vacant seats, if any, from the 10% quota of UTs of Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Lakshadweep.|
|Other State Quota||Candidates belonging to other states.|
JEE Main 2022- NIT Reservation Policy
In NITs, 50% seats are reserved under Home State Quota and rest 50% under Other State Quota
- Home State Quota(HS Quota)- Candidates who have passed class 12th from the state where the institute is situated fall under HS Quota
- Other State Quota (OS Quota)- Candidates belonging to states other than the Home state fall under OS Quota
For Union Territories which do not have an NIT, the home state quota would be applicable for the following institutes:-
|Andaman and Nicobar Island||NIT Puducherry|
|Daman and Diu||NIT Goa|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||NIT Goa|
How to Claim JEE Main 2022 Reservation?
- It is mandatory to mention the category and its details in JEE Main 2022 Application Form.
- Present the relevant and valid certificates for verification at the time of JEE Main 2022 Counselling
- If a candidate does not provide the required documents - they will be considered under unreserved category.
JEE Main 2022 Reservation: Documents Required
SC, ST, OBC, PwD and GEN- EWS candidates are required to produce original certificates issued by the competent authority at the time of Seat Allocation Process as well as at the time of admission.
Authorities empowered to issue SC/ST Certificate are:
|i)||District Magistrate/ Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner/ Deputy Collector/ I Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ City Magistrate/ Sub- Divisional Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner( not below the rank of I Class Stipendiary Magistrate)|
|ii)||Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate|
|iii)||Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar|
|iv)||Sub- Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides.|
|v)||Administrator/ Secretary to Administrator/ Development Officer Lakshadweep Islands. |
(Circulated vide No. 2/223/79- SWL/4337 dated 8.6.96)
|vi)||M.L.A. of the concerned constituency (Circulated vide No. 1/19/94- RCI/6045 dated 15.7.94)|
Authorities empowered to issue certificates for backward classes are:
|S. No.||Backward Classes|
|i)||Sub- Divisional Officer (C)|
|vi)||District Revenue Officer (Circulated vid No. 2/223/79-SWL/4337 dated 8.6.90)|
|vii)||M.L.A. of the concerned constituency (Circulated vide No. 1/19/94- RCI/6045 dated 15.7.94)|
JEE Main 2022 Reservation FAQs
Ques. Is it mandatory to upload Category certificates during JEE Main Registration 2022?
Ans: Yes, Gen-EWS/SC/ ST/OBC(NCL)/ PwD candidates have to upload their certificates as per prescribed formats issued by the competent authority. In case, any candidate does not have the certificate for now, he/she can upload the self undertaking but he/she will have to upload the requisite certificate before end of May 2022.
Ques. Is there any reservation for ex-serviceman grandsons in NITs?
Ans: No, there is no reservation of seats for grandsons of ex-servicemen in NITs. As per GOI rules, candidates belonging to OBC, SC, ST and PwD categories are only admitted to seats reserved based on relaxed criteria.
Ques. Are dyslexic students eligible for PwD quota in JEE Main 2022?
Ans: No, dyslexic candidates will not be counted under PwD category as per JEE Main Reservation Criteria. Candidates with blindness or low vision, hearing impairment and locomotor disability or cerebral palsy with a minimum of 40% of physical defect or deformity are only eligible.
Ques. What are the documents that are required for JEE Main 2022 Reservation?
Ans: JEE Main 2022 list of documents required to avail reservation of seats:
- Caste Certificate duly issued by the competent authority in a prescribed format.
- PwD candidates need to produce a Disability Certificate.
- Home state category candidates need to produce a Domicile Certificate.
Ques. Is there a reservation for women candidates in JEE Main 2022?
Ans: A female candidate can apply under All India Level or Women Quota System since most of the colleges reserve 5% seats for female candidates. There will also be relaxation in application fee for women candidates.
Ques. What are the conditions to claim reservation under GEN- EWS Category of JEE Main 2022?
Ans: Candidates who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs, and OBCs and whose family has a gross annual income below Rs 8 lakh are only identified as EWS for benefit of reservation. The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by a Competent Authority.
Ques. Who can avail JEE Main 2022 Reservation benefits?
Ans: The benefit of reservation for admission to NITs/IIITs and CFTIs shall be given only to those classes/castes/tribes which are in the respective central list published by the Govt of India. For admission to State Engineering colleges who have opted for admission through JEE Main 2022, the reservation rules of that state will apply. The letter/e-mails/grievances/RTI cases/Court cases regarding reservation criteria will not be entertained by JEE Main Secretariat/NTA.
Ques. When will NTA provide information on JEE Main 2022 Reservation?
Ans: After the declaration of JEE Main Result, the data of examination is handed over to Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB) or the concerned state government/institute for Seat Allocation Process and admission procedure by NTA/JEE Main Secretariat. The regulating body does not collect the information regarding the total number of seats available in the institutions and reservation criteria followed by the institutions.
Ques. I am an OBC candidate. I find my caste mentioned in the central list of OBCs, as listed in www.ncbc.nic.in. However, I do not belong to Non-Creamy Layer, as per the current notification of Government of India. Am I eligible for reservation under the OBC category in JEE (Advanced) 2022?
Ans: NO. Candidates belonging to the creamy layer of OBC are NOT entitled for reservation. Such candidates are treated as belonging to the general (GEN), i.e., unreserved category.
Ques. I am a PwD candidate with ≥ 40% disability and have a valid PwD certificate. Am I eligible to avail the services of a scribe during the JEE (Advanced) 2022 examination?
Ans: The services of a scribe are available only to those PwD candidates who are visually impaired, dyslexic (Severe), have disability in the upper limbs or have lost fingers / hands thereby preventing them to properly operate the Computer Based Test platform.
Ques. I am a defense service personnel (or former defense service personnel). Can my child get a seat under the DS category?
Ans: Not all defense service personnel children are eligible for DS category seats. DS category seats are earmarked for children of defense / paramilitary personnel killed or permanently disabled in action during war or peacetime operations. A certificate issued by a competent authority in the Directorate of Resettlement and Rehabilitation, New Delhi under the Ministry of Defence or the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India is required to be eligible for belonging to the DS category.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.