- The result of JEE Mains declared on September 11, 2020, and JoSAA has opened its admission portal for B.Tech admission 2020 since October 6, 2020, and the last date to fill the application form is October 15, 2020. The merit list for round 1 will be announced on October 17, 2020, and there will be a total of 6 rounds of counseling for B.Tech admissions including NIT Rourkela 2020.
- The counseling process of NIT Rourkela 2020 M.Tech admission is through GATE 2020. The last date for counseling was September 7, 2020. Classes for the M.Tech program have already started on September 28, 2020.
- The registration for GATE 2021 is over. The last date to fill the application form was October 12, 2020(Without a late fee) and October 14, 2020 (with a late fee). The admit card will be available on January 8, 2021. The GATE 2021 exam date is February 5-7 & 12-14, 2021, and the GATE 2021 result date is March 22, 2020. Read the complete news
- The NIT Rourkela 2020 M.Sc. admission is through JAM 2020. The admission date for M.Sc. 2020 at NIT Rourkela through JAM is over. The last date for admission through JAM 2020 was August 7, 2020.
- The registration for JAM 2021 has been started. Candidates can now fill the application forms for JAM 2021 till October 15, 2021. JAM 2021 exam will be held on February 14, 2021, and the result of JAM 2021 will be declared on March 20, 2021. The first selection round will be announced on March 20, 2021, followed up by two more selection rounds and the admission for JAM 2021 will close on July 2021. Read More
- The last date to apply for NIT Rourkela Ph.D. admission 2020 was July 21, 2020. The selection process was followed up by a written test and Interview on August 7, 2020. The classes for Ph.D. were started on August 17, 2020.
- The last date to apply for NIT Rourkela MBA admission 2020 was February 29, 2020. The selection process was followed up by a written test and Interview on March 6, 2020. An additional bonus round of GD and PI was conducted for the interested candidates on July 6, 2020, and July 7, 2020. The registration date for MBA 2020 semester 1 was July 20, 2020, and classes were commenced on July 21, 2020.
- Admissions for NIT Rourkela MA 2020 are over. The selection process was followed up by a written test, Interview, counseling, and admission together on July 17, 2020. And the classes were commenced on July 22, 2020.
NIT Rourkela Admission 2020
|Declaration of JEE Mains Result||September 11, 2020|
|Declaration of JEE Advanced||October 5, 2020|
|Opening of JoSAA 2020 online registration form for B.Tech||October 6, 2020|
|Last date to apply for JoSAA 2020||October 15, 2020 (5 PM)|
|Opening of online choice filling for B.Tech||October 6, 2020|
|Last date to fill the choice||October 15, 2020 (5 PM)|
|Admission process through JoSAA 2020||November 9, 2020, to November 13, 2020|
|Opening of registration of CCMT 2020 for M.Tech||May 13, 2020|
|Last date to fill CCMT 2020 registration form||June 12, 2020|
|Last date to submit documents for M.Tech||September 27, 2020|
|Commencement of Online classes for M.Tech||September 28, 2020|
|Opening of GATE 2021 application form||September 11, 2020|
|Last date to fill the Application form||October 14, 2020|
|Availability of admit card||January 8, 2020|
|GATE 2021 exam||February 5-7 & 12-14, 2021|
|GATE 2021 result||March 22, 2021|
|Opening of JAM 2020 application form||April 2020|
|Closing date of JAM 2020 Application Form||May 24, 2020|
|Declaration of JAM 2020 first admission list||June 29, 2020|
|Closure of admissions through JAM 2020||August 7, 2020|
|Opening Of JAM 2021 Application Form||September 10, 2021|
|Closing Of JAM 2021 Application Form||October 15, 2020|
|JAM 2021 Examination||February 14, 2021|
|Declaration of JAM 2021 result||March 20, 2021|
|Declaration of JAM 2021 first admission list||June 16, 2021|
|Closure of admission through JAM||July 20, 2021|
|Opening of application forms online for PhD||July 2, 2020|
|Last date to apply online for PhD||July 21, 2020|
|Shortlisting of candidates for Interview||July 28, 2020|
|Written Test/ Interview date||August 7, 2020|
|Declaration of Ph.D. 2020 result||August 12, 2020|
|Ph.D. Admission 2020||August 13, 2020|
|Semester registration for Ph.D. 2020||August 14, 2020|
|Commencement of Ph.D. 2020 classes||August 17, 2020|
|Opening of MBA application forms for MBA 2020||January 10, 2020|
|Closing of application forms 2020||February 29, 2020|
|Shortlisting of students for GD/PI for MBA 2020||March 6, 2020|
|GD/ PI for MBA 2020||March 13, 2020|
|GD/PI for candidates selected in the bonus round||July 6, 2020, to July 7, 2020|
|Date of admission||March 31, 2020|
|Date of admission for students selected in the bonus round||July 20, 2020|
|Registration for the 1st Semester||July 20, 2020|
|Starting of class for the 1st Semester||July 21, 2020|
|Opening of application form for MA 2020||March 16, 2020|
|Closing of application form for MA 2020||June 30, 2020|
|Publication of shortlisted candidates for written test, GD, PI, and counseling||July 10, 2020|
|Date of written test, GD, PI, Counseling, and admission||July 17, 2020|
|Registration of MA 1st semester 2020||July 21, 2020|
|Commencement of MA 1st semester 2020||July 22, 2020|
National Institute of Technology (NIT Rourkela) has been ranked at 32 in NIRF 2020 Rankings for its Overall performance and is ranked 16 for its B.tech program. The institute offers various programs such as B.Tech, M.Tech, MA, M.Sc, MBA, B.Tech + M.Tech, and B.Arch. Admission to these programs is based on national level exams such as JEE (Main & Advanced), GATE, JAM, CAT, etc. Candidates are required to apply online for admission. NITR has a total of 337 faculties, 6315 students, and 20 departments. The placement cycle of NIT Rourkela 2019-20 saw the highest CTC of INR 42 LPA and an average CTC of INR 8.75 LPA. Graduates from the institute were placed in top-notch companies such as Chegg Inc., Cognizant, Unacademy, Wipro, TCS, Aditya Birla Group, Tata Steel, etc.
NIT Rourkela Highlights
|Established | Type||1961 | Autonomous|
|Recognized by||AICTE and MHRD|
|Rankings 2020||Ranked 32 for Overall by NIRF
Ranked 16 for B.Tech by NIRF
Ranked 26 for B.Tech by Indiatoday
Ranked 14 for B.Tech by The Week
|Courses offered||UG, PG, and PhD|
|Highest CTC||INR 42 LPA|
|Average CTC||INR 8 LPA|
|Top recruiters||Chegg Inc., Cognizant, Unacademy, Wipro, TCS, Aditya Birla Group, Tata Steel, Tech Mahindra, etc.|
|B.Tech CSE cut off 2020||1230 – 8510|
|Facilities||Library, Computer Centre, Hostel, Cafeteria. etc.|
NIT Rourkela Ranking
Given below are some of the recent achievements by the institute for the year 2020 and 2021:
- NIT Rourkela is ranked in the 601-800 band by THE for the Engineering and Physical Science for the year 2021.
- The institute is ranked 32 in the NIRF overall ranking and 16 in the Engineering category for 2020.
- The Insitute ranked among 801-1000 in The World University Ranking 2020 and among 601-800 in The World Engg. & Technology 2020.
- QS India University has ranked NIT Rourkela at 29 for the year 2020.
- The Asia University 2020 ranked NIT Rourkela at 190.
Read More: NIT Rourkela Rankings 2020
NIT Rourkela Courses
The Institute offers the following courses in different specializations:
|B.Tech||Civil Engineering||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks with PCM/PCB, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination|
|Computer Science Engg.|
|Electronics & Comm. Engg.|
|B.Arch||Planning and Architecture||Intermediate graduate with 50% marks|
|Dual Degree (B.Tech+M.Tech)||Transportation Engineering||Intermediate graduate with 50% marks in PCM|
|Electronic Systems and Communication|
|M.Tech||Civil Engineering||B.Tech in relevant discipline with at least 60% marks in the aggregate|
|M.A.||Developmental Studies||Graduate in B.A/ B.Sc/ B.Com with 50% marks|
|M.Sc||Chemistry||Graduate in B.Sc with a minimum of 50% marks|
|Physics & Astronomy|
|MBA||Management||Graduate with 60% marks in any discipline (55% for reserved categories)|
|Ph.D.||Chemistry||Master’s degree in relevant discipline with 60% marks OR Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline with 70% marks|
Check: NIT Rourkela Fees
NIT Rourkela Admission
Admission to all courses offered by NIT Rourkela is done in online mode only. Eligible candidates can visit the official website of the institute and submit their application form. The final selection for admission is based on the merit scored in the following examinations conducted at the national level:
|Course Name||Accepted Exam Name||Read more|
|B.Tech||JEE Main||Click here|
|MBA||CAT/ MAT/ XAT||Click here|
Admissions in Ph.D. and M.A are done on the basis of Entrance Test and Personal Interview conducted by the institute itself.
Know more: NIT Rourkela Admissions
NIT Rourkela Cut off 2020
Given below is the JEE Main cut off 2020 (General) for the NIT Rourkela B.Tech program:
|Specializations||Opening Rank 2020||Closing Rank 2020|
|B.Tech (Ceramic Engineering) + M.Tech (Industrial Ceramic)||38827||39556|
|B.tech + M.Tech in Chemical Engineering||32581||32814|
|Computer Science and Engineering||1230||8510|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||8844||11723|
|Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering||12548||20452|
|Food Process Engineering||40286||45354|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||26490||28590|
|B.Tech + M.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||34389||36109|
|B.Tech + M.Tech in Mining Engineering||36409||37123|
Read More: NIT Rourkela Cut off
NIT Rourkela Scholarships
The Institute provides students with financial aids in the form of Fellowships and Assistantships. Tabulated below are the details for the same:
|Program Name||Minimum Qualification||Period||Rate of Fellowship/ Assistantship|
|Post-Doc||Any Ph.D.||-||INR 35000|
|Ph.D.||M.Tech./ M.Pharm||4 years||INR 18000 - 20000|
|Ph.D.||B.Tech./ B.Pharm./ M.Sc./ MA/ M.Com/ MBA MCA/ MBBS
[With valid GATE/ NET score only]
|5 years||INR 16000 - 18000|
|M.Tech.(Res)||B.Tech./ B.Pharm./ MBA/ M.Sc./ MCA/ MBBS/M.Com./M.A.[With valid GATE/ NET score only]||2 years||INR 8000|
Apart from these, a number of scholarships are offered by different companies for meritorious students at the undergraduate level. It includes the following:
- Post- Matric Scholarships for SC-ST students given by Orissa Government
- TCS (Top Class Scholarships) given by Tata Consultancy Services
- Merit Scholarships by Govt. of Odisha
- National Talent Scholarship by Govt. of India
- TCS scholarship for CSE students
- OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarship (OPJEMS)
Check: NIT Rourkela Scholarships
NIT Rourkela Placements
The training and placement department is headed by a senior faculty member who manages all the placement activities. Its excellent infrastructure supports each and every stage of the placement processes in arranging pre-placement talks, written tests, group discussions, interviews, etc. Every year NIT Rourkela offers 50 paid internships during the summer for 2 months to students across the country. Highlights of the NIT Rourkela placements 2019-20 are as follows:
- Total no. of offers made: 909
- Highest CTC: INR 42 LPA
- Program with the Maximum No. of Job Offers: B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering
- No. of Sectors/Industries participated: 33
- Prominent Sector: Software/IT Services
The top recruiters in the cycle included top-notch companies such as Amazon, Amdocs, Bajaj, Cummins, Ford, Hero, Intel, Jindal Steel & Power, Larsen & Toubro, Mathworks, Mediatek, Microsoft, Myntra, Pepsico, RBL Bank, etc.
Read More: NIT Rourkela Placements
About NIT Rourkela
National Institute of Technology was established in the year 1961 and located in Rourkela, Odisha. It has been approved by AICTE and accredited by NAAC. It was formerly known as the Regional Engineering College Rourkela. NIT is a publicly funded premier institute for higher learning in the field of engineering and technology. It is one of the 31 NITs in India to be recognized as an ‘Institute of National Importance’. The foundation stone of the Institute was laid by the 1st Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. NIT Rourkela is located about 7 km away from the railway station and the closest airport is Ranchi at a distance of 172 km.
NIT Rourkela Facilities
With a gigantic 647 acres of campus area, NITR is equipped with all the modern amenities. Given below are the details for the same:
- Library: The institute has a wide collection of 84,000 books and 20,000 back volumes of periodicals. The central library, known as Biju Patnaik Central Library, is automated with integrated library software called Libsys.
- Computer Centre: It offers round to clock services to the students with the latest infrastructure supporting research facilities.
- Hostels: The Institute offers residential facilities to both male and female students. It has a total of 11 hostels which includes 7 boys’ hostel, 2 girls’ hostel and 2 married hostels (only for research scholars).
- Cafeteria: The campus has a couple of canteens namely Calorie canteen, SLR canteen, Hexagon, and Campus Cafe. All of these provide quality food to the students on all working days. Meals are available at very nominal rates.
NIT Rourkela Notable Alumni
- Akash Khurana
- Indian actor, screenwriter, theatre artist, and entrepreneur
- CP Gurnani
- CEO and Managing Director of Tech Mahindra
- Sandip Das
- Indian corporate executive in the telecom business, Senior advisor at Analysys Mason, and a member of the advisory board of Sterlite Technologies.
- Ajit Andhare
- Indian business leader, entrepreneur, currently Chief Operating Officer at Viacom18 Studios
NIT Rourkela Faculty
The faculty of NIT Rourkela is highly qualified and well-educated in their relevant fields. The prominent faculty members hold a doctoral degree and the majority of the faculty members hold a Master’s degree in their relevant fields. All the faculty members have teaching experience ranging from 1 to 10 years. Currently, there are a total of 337 faculty members with 323 holding Ph.D. holders, 10 holding M.tech degree, 2 holding MCP degree, 1 holding Master of Design degree, and an MBBS degree holder. The strength of the NIT Rourkela faculty is as follows:
- Professor: 65
- Associate Professor: 70
- Assistant Professor: 202
Read More: NIT Rourkela Faculty
NIT Rourkela FAQs
Ques. What is the cutoff criteria for admission in NIT Rourkela?
Ans. It mainly depends on 3 factors i.e. Choice of NIT, Branch and State Domicile. For admission in NIT Rourkela, you need to get a minimum under 10000 AIR in JEE Mains. However, the cutoff will vary as per the choice of branch.
Ques. How is the life of a student at the National Institute of Technology, Rourkela (NITR)?
Ans. Being an institute of National Importance, NIT has a huge campus to cater to all of the needs of the students. Talking about placement, a number of reputed companies such as Wipro, Amazon, Cognizant, Google, Airtel, Essar, Axis Bank, etc. Unlike many other institutions, NIT Rourkela provides you with much flexibility when hostel timings are concerned.
Ques. Which is better NIT Allahabad or NIT Rourkela?
Ans. NIT Rourkela is known to have an astounding infrastructure and experienced faculty members. It is the 2nd best institute according to MHRD. On the other hand, NIT Allahabad has a good alumni network with excellent placement packages.
Ques. How are the placements at NIT Rourkela?
Ans. The Institute is known to impart quality technical education to the students. In the year 2017, the highest package was of INR 39 LPA. A total of 1016 job offers were made by various reputed companies. Some students also apply for an internship in their final year of studies and are offered Pre-Placement Offers (PPOs) from respective companies.
Ques. What is the fee structure for a foreign student taking admission at NIT Rourkela?
Ans. The tuition fee for foreign students are as follows:
- DASA (Direct Admission of Students Abroad) : US $ 7000 (US $ 3500 for students from SAARC countries)
- ICCR( Indian Council for Cultural Relations) : US $ 4000 (US $ 2000 for students from SAARC countries) . It also offers scholarships to many foreign students who wish to come and study for PG and Ph.D Programmes.
- MEA( Ministry of External affairs) (Welfare): As applicable to Indian students All other fees are the same as applicable to Indian students.
Ques. Are there any scholarships given to SC/ST students at NIT Rourkela?
Ans. SC/ST students are eligible for Post Matric Scholarship (PMS) of the respective State Governments if they satisfy the norms set by the State Government. For that they need to apply in appropriate time to their State Govts.
Among the admitted students in the first year top 12 SC students and top 5 ST students are eligible to get TOP CLASS SCHOLARSHIP from the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, GOI and the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, GOI respectively provided their parental annual income is below 4.5 lakhs. These students will get Top Class scholarship for four years (first year to fourth year) provided they get promoted to the next higher year, else the scholarship will be stopped.
Ques. How can one take admission in an M.Tech program at NIT Rourkela?
Ans. One can take admission to M.Tech program through Common Counselling for M.Tech(CCMT) after qualifying GATE entrance exams with the cut off criteria . If seats remain vacant after GATE qualified candidates, in some specific low popular Specializations, admission can be given to Non-GATE candidates.
Ques. How are the placements at NIT Rourkela for CSE?
Ans. Placements at NIT Rourkela are good. The highest package offered is INR 43 LPA and the average package offered is INR 9.03 LPA. The placement team is really good and summer internship training is also provided to the students to gain practical Knowledge.
Ques. Whether a student needs to return the scholarship/ fellowship if he/ she discontinues the program?
Ans. M.Tech, M.Tech (Res) and PhD students need to return the scholarship/ fellowship amount received till date to the Institute if he/she discontinues the program. This is not applicable to the students of other programmes.
Ques. Is there a branch change rule at NIT Rourkela?
Ans. No, there is no branch change in NIT Rourkela. For 4-5 years this has been discontinued. Many NIT’s allow this but not Rourkela.