Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) is one of India’s top-ranked university for Post-graduate and research studies. It has received the Best University Award from the President of India in 2017. The University is known for churning out some of India’s prominent thinkers, intellectuals, diplomats, and artists. JNU is also an active arena for political and social debates and is famous for its leaning toward leftist ideology.
|Established | Type||1969 | Public|
|Ranking||A++ Grade – NAAC|
|Campus Area||1000 Acres|
|Courses Offered | Type||UG: 10 | PG: 34 and Ph.D.: 73|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test|
|Total Students||Male: 449 | Female: 600|
|Total Faculty||Permanent: 610 | Visiting: 148|
|Library||5, 00,000 books, 2000 e-journals, 53 national/international journals|
|Hostel||17(Boys Hostel) 2(Ladies hostel)|
Jawaharlal Nehru University is known as a premier institution in India which has proven excellence in academic as well as other activities. Check the latest achievements of the university:
|Body / Magazine||Rank||Year|
|The World University Ranking||601-800 in Overall category||2020|
|NIRF||2nd in University category||2019|
|7th in Overall category||2019|
|Outlook Magazine||18th in Overall category||2019|
|ARWU||9-10th in overall category (International)||2019|
|US News Ranking||1072||2019|
Jawaharlal Nehru University offers a variety of courses in disciplines like – Social Sciences, International Studies, Language & Literature, Management, Engineering, etc. Mentioned below is a brief about the same:
|B.A (Hons)||Intermediate graduate with a minimum of 45% marks|
|MBA||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 60% marks (55% for OBC and 45% for SC/ST)|
|MCA||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 55% marks|
|M.A.||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 50% marks|
|M.Tech||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline of Engineering/ Technology with 55% marks|
|M.Phil/ Ph.D.||Master’s degree in relevant discipline with 55% marks|
Note: For admission in Biotechnology courses, JNU conducts a national level entrance namely JNU CEEB (Jawaharlal Nehru University Combined Entrance Examination for Biotechnology) once in a year. General category candidates have to make payment of INR 340 and reserved category candidates have to make payment of INR 260.
Read more: JNU Courses
Admission of eligible candidates to all the university courses is done on the basis of their merit in the entrance examination. The application process, conducted both online and offline, for all the courses usually begins in the month of February every year.
- UG Admission: There will be a Computer-based entrance exam for admission. Students can register themselves by submitting the application fee of INR 300/- through online payment modes or offline method i.e. demand draft (DD).
- PG Admission: The selection of candidates will be done on the basis of their performance in the entrance exam conducted by the university. Candidates who wish to apply can submit completed applications along with the required fee of INR 300 through online/ offline payment modes.
- Ph.D. Admission: For direct admission to the research program, a candidate needs to fill a separate application form. The direct admission process to Ph.D. programs is conducted twice a year where the selection of candidates is done on the basis of their viva-voce conducted at the concerned department.
No candidate is eligible for admission unless s/he secures a minimum overall in the required entrance test. The table given below gives a brief about the same:
|Programs||General & EWS||OBC||SC/ST & PWD|
|M.Tech., MPH., M.A./M.Sc./MCA, B.A.(Hons.)||30%||27%||25%|
|M.Phil & Ph.D.||40%||36%||30%|
|Category||% of seat reserved|
Know more: JNU Admission
The following graph shows the number of total degrees awarded by JNU in its previous academic session:
The university offers financial assistance to deserving and meritorious students on the basis of various criteria. Following are the details for the same:
- Merit-cum-means Scholarship: It is given to those students whose parents’/guardian income is less than INR 2.5 Lakhs per annum.
- Ford Foundation Scholarship: A limited number of scholarship is available for students enrolled in MA. The amount to be awarded is INR 700 per month and will be awarded purely on merit basis.
- Okita Memorial Fellowship: This is given to meritorious Indian students enrolled in M.Phil and MA 2nd year program. 2 fellowships each amounted INR 5000 per month with an annual contingency of INR 10000 is awarded to selected students.
- G Parthasarathi Endowment Fellowship: Students belonging to Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribe/ Backward Tribe are awarded an amount of INR 1000 per month for a year. A total of 4 such scholarships is available at the University.
- Tendulkar Scholarship: This is awarded for a period of two years to 2 students of various Centres of School of Social Science by rotation. The scholarship amounts to INR 400 per month.
Check: JNU Scholarship
Jawaharlal Nehru University Facilities
- Library: The library is stocked with more than 5 lac books, 5,000 titles, and thousands of CDs, journals, and reports. The JNU library consists of a Central Library & separate Department. It helps students and faculties alike have easy access to the course and reference materials through a membership card.
- Hostel Facilities: The University provides separate accommodation for both boys and girls from outside Delhi. Mess facility is also available, where a student must submit his/her preferences for accommodation early in the process of admission. Currently, the hostel block houses more than 150 students.
- Cafeteria: Jawaharlal Nehru University has many canteens: cafeterias and dining halls on the campus, where tea/coffee and various snack options are available. On the other hand, the canteen serves both vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals to their students/staff members.
- Computer Labs: In JNU you have plenty of labs to access online study material or any other course-related support is available online.
Ques. What is the NIRF Ranking of JNU?
Ques. Do they have scholarship facilities?
Ques. How can I check my semester results at JNU?
Ques. I have 60% in my BA. How do I join the MA Programme?
Ques. What is the fee of M.Sc at JNU?
Ques: What accreditation and approval does JNU have?